Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Has anyone found a way to disable the Flash upgrade prompt for 10.2 and up via GPO? Creating the settings config file doesn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

folgore posted:

I'm thinking of using the student discount to buy Windows 7 Pro upgrade from Digital River. Is there any reason not to buy from them? I'm familiar with the differences between full install and upgrade versions. The price cut seems too good to come without a catch.

I bought from them as well, and it worked fine.

Though when I wanted a second copy, just before the first time offer ended in January '10, based on a recommendation from someone else in the thread, I called the Microsoft Store, told them I was a student looking for the student deal, gave my .edu address, and they sent me a Windows 7 Pro DVD for $30 with free shipping.

No idea if they're doing that now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LooseChanj posted:

If I recall correctly, you can't login remotely to an account with a blank password. Pretty sure XP was that way from day 1.
This is correct. Back in the day when I used to reformat/reinstall XP on a semesterly (or more) basis, I would sometimes want to remote in shortly after a resintall but I hadn't yet set my password.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Is there a nice, tiny program for p2p file transfer? I just want to do a straight transfer to another computer. I don't want to share it or anything, just a nice, simple point a to point b transfer.

There's apparently websites that try to do this but the transfer speed is lovely.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Over the Internet? Probably best setting up an SFTP server on each PC you want to act as a destination for files. Pick one and try it out? Maybe start with Core FTP server. You will have to open firewall ports and forward ports from your router to make this work, as well as know your external IP address; there's no "run and it's done" solution for this, since direct file transfer access is a big security concern.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

slovach posted:

Is there a nice, tiny program for p2p file transfer? I just want to do a straight transfer to another computer. I don't want to share it or anything, just a nice, simple point a to point b transfer.

There's apparently websites that try to do this but the transfer speed is lovely.

Dropbox?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

WorkingStiff posted:

Dropbox?
Yeah for the average joe this beats the poo poo out of figuring VPNs.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

slovach posted:

If it's p2p it's not going to get better than your connection speed. Sendoid will do this for example, and it's hard to get simpler than that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Factor Mystic posted:

If it's p2p it's not going to get better than your connection speed. Sendoid will do this for example, and it's hard to get simpler than that.

I just want to emphasise that not only that, it's not going to get better than your upload connection speed. You may well have mega-ultra-awesome 8mb ADSL but your upload speed is probably limited to something like 0.5mb.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I have a Full Vista64 disk and a Upgrade Windows 764 disk.

I just had a hard drive crash and lost my install/etc. - I just ordered a new drive to replace.

Can I install Windows 7 upgrade without first installing my Vista 64 disk?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LLJKSiLk posted:

Can I install Windows 7 upgrade without first installing my Vista 64 disk?

Easily. Check, like, every third page of this thread for instructions.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm a computer dummy. What's the easiest way to connect to my home PC (and eventually HTPC) from my netbook and watch a movie or something?

fake edit: I realize this a really dumb question

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I'm a computer dummy. What's the easiest way to connect to my home PC (and eventually HTPC) from my netbook and watch a movie or something?

fake edit: I realize this a really dumb question

If you're on Windows 7 on both you can set up a homegroup really easily:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/homegroup

Also these!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Getting-started-with-media-streaming
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/play-to

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm about to do a reinstall of 7 Ultimate, and I just have a question about codec packs - I've been using Community Combined Codec Pack, but is there a better one I should be using? I know VLC is good, but I prefer Media Player Classic.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I'm about to do a reinstall of 7 Ultimate, and I just have a question about codec packs - I've been using Community Combined Codec Pack, but is there a better one I should be using? I know VLC is good, but I prefer Media Player Classic.

Media Player Classic and CoreAVC work great together, but it's not free. I'm pretty sure you could use FFDSHOW and Haali Media Splitter with Media Player Classic. You might need to configure FFDSHOW to decode all the codecs you need.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
Shark 007 is the hot new codec pack in town. Very simple and works well for everything.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

LoKout posted:

Shark 007 is the hot new codec pack in town. Very simple and works well for everything.

Shark007 randomly breaks with updates and god help you if you post in the forum about a bug, because the creator has an ego the size of the moon. I stick with K-lite because it works, sets up MPC-HC properly and has a x64 pack so you can have working thumbnails in explorer.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Windows 7 can play a shitload of stuff out of the box. Just install Haali splitter (for mkv) and ffdshow tryout (decodes everything under the sun). Install CoreAVC if you want to use that instead of ffdshow for x264. Codec packs are pretty retarded.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 18, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Shark007 also bundles the ask and bing toolbars with no opt out, which is loving gay as poo poo.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gyshall posted:

Shark007 also bundles the ask and bing toolbars with no opt out, which is loving gay as poo poo.

Chrome doesn't have toolbars.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

...or just use trusted software which hasn't been bundled together by some idiot desperate to install crapware on your system so he can turn a quick buck?

Best for-pay combination: CoreAVC and Haali splitter (I think CAVC bundles this now but if not it's easy enough to install).

Best for-free combination: FFDShow tryouts and Haali splitter.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

rolleyes posted:

Best for-pay combination: CoreAVC and Haali splitter (I think CAVC bundles this now but if not it's easy enough to install).

Unless you're using an old system or have some strange requirements, installing CoreAVC is pretty silly. Yes, it's a great software decoder - but when everything under the sun can do h.264 in hardware, that's kind of pointless.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
CCCP has never done me wrong.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

my only complaint about shark007 is that upgrading it is a total pain. first you uninstall the 64 bit one, then the 32 bit (in that order), then go to their site made of 50% ads, click through a bunch of pages to get both the 32 bit and 64 bit, then install the 32 bit, then install the 64 bit (in that order). It's like they said "how can we make this as long and tedious as possible?"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Unless you're using an old system or have some strange requirements, installing CoreAVC is pretty silly. Yes, it's a great software decoder - but when everything under the sun can do h.264 in hardware, that's kind of pointless.

I have a 13" laptop with an ultra-low-voltage Pentium something-or-other and an Intel integrated graphics card. Sure, I get 10 hours of battery life but without CoreAVC I have no hope in hell of playing 720p.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
How do you know if you're taking advantage of your video card's DXVA support? My new system is probably fast enough to handle 1080p without the help, but I was just curious. The MPC Home Cinema FAQ doesn't specifically address Windows 7 and it's a little murky whether or not I should be using EVR or VMR9 renderless.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

rolleyes posted:

I have a 13" laptop with an ultra-low-voltage Pentium something-or-other and an Intel integrated graphics card. Sure, I get 10 hours of battery life but without CoreAVC I have no hope in hell of playing 720p.

Intel's been shipping video chipsets capable of full High-profile hardware h.264 decoding since 2008. Yes, CoreAVC can be useful on older systems, but as a general recommendation it's kind of silly. Almost any system purchased in the last couple of years is capable of handling h.264 up to 1080p in hardware.

Sizzlechest posted:

How do you know if you're taking advantage of your video card's DXVA support? My new system is probably fast enough to handle 1080p without the help, but I was just curious. The MPC Home Cinema FAQ doesn't specifically address Windows 7 and it's a little murky whether or not I should be using EVR or VMR9 renderless.

For Win7, just use the Vista recommendations. EVR Custom Preset is probably what you want to use. You can press Ctrl-J to bring up the onscreen display while a video's playing; if you're using DXVA, it'll tell you the type and name of device it's using in the last few lines. Press Ctrl-J a few more times to cycle modes until the OSD goes away.

If you're not getting acceleration when you think you should be, go to External Filters, select ffdshow, and set it to "block." Then, go to Internal Filters, and disable compatibility checking on all the DXVA filters. Modern hardware decoders can generally handle stuff well outside the strict specs, but with compatibility checking enabled, it'll still fall back to the software decoder if anything looks fishy.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Will a Sony Vaio Vista home premium CD Key work with an OEM disc? I've got a friend's laptop with a dead hard drive and they never made the recovery discs.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

You don't need a codec pack, MPC HC will work fine most likely.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

lwoodio posted:

Will a Sony Vaio Vista home premium CD Key work with an OEM disc? I've got a friend's laptop with a dead hard drive and they never made the recovery discs.

No. Your friend needs to call Sony and order some recovery media.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

No. Your friend needs to call Sony and order some recovery media.

I've reinstalled several different Vista systems from MSDN media using the CD key on the sticker. Vista itself isn't like XP, that had eleven thousand different OEM-specific versions. In fact, there are basically only two Vista discs you ever need to worry about, 32- and 64-bit. Unless Sony has their own weird special sauce added in, it should be possible.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I know OEM Windows XP would reject Dell CD keys, but I didn't know about Vista and Sony. The Recovery disc is $40 :psyduck:. And the hard drive is inside the laptop with the motherboard. :psyboom:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

For Win7, just use the Vista recommendations. EVR Custom Preset is probably what you want to use. You can press Ctrl-J to bring up the onscreen display while a video's playing; if you're using DXVA, it'll tell you the type and name of device it's using in the last few lines. Press Ctrl-J a few more times to cycle modes until the OSD goes away.

If you're not getting acceleration when you think you should be, go to External Filters, select ffdshow, and set it to "block." Then, go to Internal Filters, and disable compatibility checking on all the DXVA filters. Modern hardware decoders can generally handle stuff well outside the strict specs, but with compatibility checking enabled, it'll still fall back to the software decoder if anything looks fishy.

Thank you! This is some great info!

I had to uncheck the ffdshow filters in the input filters, too.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Space Gopher posted:

Intel's been shipping video chipsets capable of full High-profile hardware h.264 decoding since 2008. Yes, CoreAVC can be useful on older systems, but as a general recommendation it's kind of silly. Almost any system purchased in the last couple of years is capable of handling h.264 up to 1080p in hardware.

Can you elaborate on this? I've never been able to play 720p on my Asus EeePC, even with all of Windows 7's pretty effects turned off, but it manages fine with CoreAVC installed, and even then, some scenes can be pretty jumpy and jerky. If there's some setting that I can change to allow me to play 720p then that would save me a lot of hassle

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I've never been able to play 720p on my Asus EeePC, even with all of Windows 7's pretty effects turned off, but it manages fine with CoreAVC installed, and even then, some scenes can be pretty jumpy and jerky. If there's some setting that I can change to allow me to play 720p then that would save me a lot of hassle

Unfortunately, a lot of netbooks are an exception - the first-gen Eees used the ancient GMA945 core, and for some reason Intel chose to roll the old, non-HD-capable GMA3100 into the integrated-video Atoms in almost all netbooks sold today. If you have something with a GMA500, that's actually a licensed PowerVR design that does support h.264 decoding acceleration. Which Eee do you have?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A few pages back I asked what a good free backup program was. I was told Cobian. While it is good it can't (yet) wake up and sleep my computer. There is a work around for waking but not sleeping. Do any backup programs do this?

Ideally I would like my backups to happen at like 3am then my computer to go back to sleep.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red_Fred posted:

A few pages back I asked what a good free backup program was. I was told Cobian. While it is good it can't (yet) wake up and sleep my computer. There is a work around for waking but not sleeping. Do any backup programs do this?

Ideally I would like my backups to happen at like 3am then my computer to go back to sleep.

Can you just set a idle sleep time in Windows power options?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Red_Fred posted:

You could use something like SmartPower ( http://ignatu.co.uk/SmartPower.aspx ) to schedule a hibernate/sleep a couple of minutes after the backup starts, and to NOT hibernate while the <thebackupprograms.exe> is running. So when it finished, the computer will hibernate/sleep.
I've got it going on my server at home, to sleep it overnight unless it's running X, Y, or Z, or someone is streaming off it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So, this may be one of those "I'm an idiot" moments and if so, make fun.

My friend told me that, for security, I should password protect the the default Win7 Admin account and disable it, which I did. However, I later find out on my 2 standard accounts can't elevate to admin privileges at all nor can I re-enable the default admin account thru CMD, etc.

Should I just wipe clean and reinstall Win7? All of my stuff is backed up on an external, so that's not a big deal, I'm more just irritated I didn't think it all the way through if it is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Roving Reporter posted:

So, this may be one of those "I'm an idiot" moments and if so, make fun.

My friend told me that, for security, I should password protect the the default Win7 Admin account and disable it, which I did. However, I later find out on my 2 standard accounts can't elevate to admin privileges at all nor can I re-enable the default admin account thru CMD, etc.

Should I just wipe clean and reinstall Win7? All of my stuff is backed up on an external, so that's not a big deal, I'm more just irritated I didn't think it all the way through if it is the case.

UBCD is probably your best bet - you can use the 'Offline NT password editor' under Data Recovery to reset your admin password, and enable it if it's been blocked or locked out. The Win7 admin account should be disabled, and is by default - you'll need to confirm your UAC is set up correctly.