Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, this poo poo.

That is not fuel.

That is the poo poo with which you patch your trireme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Phy posted:

That is not fuel.

I'm sure that that engine could use your trireme as fuel...

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phy posted:

That is not fuel.

I really find it hard to believe that is actually fuel. Yes, I understand that if you heated it it would get less viscous and flow better, but how do you pump a million gallons of that goo into the ship's fuel tank? Do you have to heat it then too? How could it possibly flow into the fuel lines and whatnot?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You could probably cool it a little and ship it into the tank as bricks.

Phangor
Apr 22, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tire blew out, better drive to the repair shop.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Phangor posted:

Oh. My. poo poo.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

JD Brickmeister posted:

I really find it hard to believe that is actually fuel. Yes, I understand that if you heated it it would get less viscous and flow better, but how do you pump a million gallons of that goo into the ship's fuel tank? Do you have to heat it then too? How could it possibly flow into the fuel lines and whatnot?
Yes, it has to be ~100 degrees F when sitting in storage, has to be heated to over 150F to be pumped, and has to be 220-260F to atomize properly for combustion. I'm actually a little surprised you can use that low-grade oil in internal combustion engines, I thought it had to be burned in boilers because of the water and ash content, but I guess that's what the purifiers are for.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phangor posted:

Saw it on Reddit, better post it in AI.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Alereon posted:

Yes, it has to be ~100 degrees F when sitting in storage, has to be heated to over 150F to be pumped, and has to be 220-260F to atomize properly for combustion. I'm actually a little surprised you can use that low-grade oil in internal combustion engines, I thought it had to be burned in boilers because of the water and ash content, but I guess that's what the purifiers are for.

Yeah pretty much this. The purifiers do an incredible job of turning this awful poo poo into something that can actually be burnt to produce power.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

meatpimp posted:

I don't know or care what Reddit is/does (I guess it's an aggregator?), so it's a good thing he posted it here. :rolleyes:

It's a pretty rad photo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

meatpimp posted:

You follow reddit?

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

KozmoNaut posted:

Sounds like Lindø to me :v:

Not sure where I got these (perhaps this very thread!), but it sure is a failure:

:flaccid:

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

meatpimp posted:

So.. it's only OK if the picture is your own picture?

Because I'm pretty sure 99% of the pictures on this thread were posted -somewhere- else before here, why is finding it on Reddit somehow off limits then? Yes I saw it on Reddit this weekend too, welcome to the internet.

Since we can only post our own from now on here's one from a couple years ago:

This:

caused this:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grimster posted:

So.. it's only OK if the picture is your own picture?

Because I'm pretty sure 99% of the pictures on this thread were posted -somewhere- else before here, why is finding it on Reddit somehow off limits then? Yes I saw it on Reddit this weekend too, welcome to the internet.
I think it's disingenuous to post something that you've seen broadcast on a mainstream site without giving some reference or credit. It's not like "hey, look at this wheel that rolled into my shop" when it's a grab-and-post from reddit. Just like stealing stories straight from Autoblog.

quote:

Since we can only post our own from now on here's one from a couple years ago:

MARTYR CARD PLAYED. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I think it's disingenuous to post something that you've seen broadcast on a mainstream site without giving some reference or credit. It's not like "hey, look at this wheel that rolled into my shop" when it's a grab-and-post from reddit. Just like stealing stories straight from Autoblog.
Everyone else follows Reddit so I don't have to.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
if its still in the shop tomorrow I'll have a picture of a Passat wagon with a seized water pump. The owner lucked out though because instead of snapping the belt it just wore half of it down to the wires and split the pump pulley clean in half.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Everyone else follows Reddit so I don't have to.

Same here, i don't have time for that poo poo.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

meatpimp posted:

Stealing it from the creator? Yes that's lame, stealing it from another random internet site where it was posted likely without any credit for the REAL creator? Who gives a gently caress.

quote:

MARTYR CARD PLAYED. :colbert:

I'd ask where my 72 virgins are if I'm a martyr, but I'm scared they might simply gesture vaguely towards GBS...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grimster posted:

I'd ask where my 72 virgins are if I'm a martyr, but I'm scared they might simply gesture vaguely towards GBS...

Spirit, is this a sign of things that have been or things that will be....

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The actual quote was something like "I was just mowing along, the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I looked down and my feet were just covered in oil!"

Kohler Courage single cylinder consumer engine, about five years old. Split entirely in half. The cylinder and head were still around the piston when it came in, retained by the muffler assembly and blower housing.

Even though the unit was three years out of warranty, Kohler bought the customer a short block. Total cost to the customer for a new engine is going to be around $215. Saved our asses, too, because we had just done a total service to the mower.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo I've never seen a failure like that. Were you able to determine what caused it?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo I've never seen a failure like that. Were you able to determine what caused it?

Big Box stores demanding equipment made to lower prices every year. Companies figured out that customers don't do ANY maintenance for years at a time. Then, the question becomes why build maintainable OPE that will get ignored and trashed in 5 years? Why not just build equipment that is going to last 5 years with no maintenance and build it cheaply so they'll be able to buy a new one when it breaks?

Single cylinder Kohler Courage - sucks. Twin cylinder Courage - ehhhhhhh. Kawasaki FR series - better than the courage. B&S "professional" singles and twins are like the Courage except with less unexplained valve cover leaking and split crank cases and more carb problems.

Four times the price gets you four to six times the longevity. Briggs Vanguard, Kohler Command, all non-FR Kawasakis and the Honda GX engines do this.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
drat!

My friends riding mower threw a rod 2 weeks ago and only knocked out a small hole in the block.

I got a lovely cell phone pic somewhere.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Well here's another one. More of a horrible maintenance failure, though.

Mower has a 5 year warranty, end to end. Customer buys one, does NOTHING to it for three years. Air filter turns into a brick of awful, engine starts pulling air from the crank case along with the oil. No oil = YAY! "Fix it. It's under WARRANTY! I paid A LOT OF MONEY TO YOU PEOPLE!"

Note there are TWO air filters pictured. This is a common occurrence.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Skyssx posted:

I'm going to find the air filter on my mower when I get home.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skyssx posted:

As in its common for idiot owners to buy a new air filter and somehow jam it on top of the existing filter...?

Also please tell me they denied the warranty claim...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 18, 2011

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Skyssx posted:

I just ordered the replacement air filter for my Tecumseh engine on Amazon :gonk:

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm giving my mower an oil change this weekend. Happily it got a new air filter not too long ago.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geoj posted:

As in its common for idiot owners to buy a new air filter and somehow jam it on top of the existing filter...?

Also please tell me they denied the warranty claim...

I denied the claim. Not even worth calling B&S on. I was told by the 11 year old son that I'd lose the dealership over it. loving customers.

Never seen a doubled up AF. I have seen a foam pre filter... and that's it. Guy wanted to know why his tiller was smoking and burning so much oil. He had gotten it second hand that way, though.

e:There's a hierarchy to the poo poo an engine goes through. It goes something like concrete cutter>tiller>leaf vac>chipper>lawn mower. You should be checking oil every time you operate anything, changing it every 6 months on the lawn mower and every 8 hours of operation on a tiller or concrete cutter (if it's 4 cycle). If you keep your AF from plugging, change it every year and even just keep the oil topped up, you can get a B&S Quantum based engine to run for 15-20 years.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 18, 2011

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

I denied the claim. Not even worth calling B&S on. I was told by the 11 year old son that I'd lose the dealership over it. loving customers.

Never seen a doubled up AF. I have seen a foam pre filter... and that's it. Guy wanted to know why his tiller was smoking and burning so much oil. He had gotten it second hand that way, though.

e:There's a hierarchy to the poo poo an engine goes through. It goes something like concrete cutter>tiller>leaf vac>chipper>lawn mower. You should be checking oil every time you operate anything, changing it every 6 months on the lawn mower and every 8 hours of operation on a tiller or concrete cutter (if it's 4 cycle). If you keep your AF from plugging, change it every year and even just keep the oil topped up, you can get a B&S Quantum based engine to run for 15-20 years.

Our Honda HS55 snowblower (tanks treads, yo) is most likely older than me. Never had ANY maintenance done until it came with the purchase of the house. Pretty sure I pulled out the original plug and changed the original (prob) oil.

She slips out of 2nd gear (like any good old Honda).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
The self-propelled lawn boy that I currently own with the above mentioned engine I found out by the trash a couple of years ago at a neighbors house. The self-propelled mechanism was "broken". Engine still started on first pull after a prime though so I grabbed it. Came home, loving belt was slipped off the pulley and stuck. 15 seconds later with a screwdriver and it was mowing my lawn :v:

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I have some sort of Yard Man push mower I got for free from an old landlady. I've had it for 6 years now and the only time it's given me trouble was when I attempted to change the oil. Now I just leave it alone other than sharpening the blade each year, and it never fails to start on the first pull, even with gas that has been left in it all winter.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Is it still common for lawn mower/tiller/etc. engines to be sidevalves like that one is? My father's 1990 toro lawnmower proudly proclaims "OHV" on top of the engine cover. It's also been used non-stop for the past 21 years and still runs like a top. I does get somewhat regular oil changes, but I believe the original spark plug was just changed in the past couple years.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

lazer_chicken posted:

Is it still common for lawn mower/tiller/etc. engines to be sidevalves like that one is? My father's 1990 toro lawnmower proudly proclaims "OHV" on top of the engine cover. It's also been used non-stop for the past 21 years and still runs like a top. I does get somewhat regular oil changes, but I believe the original spark plug was just changed in the past couple years.

The B&S Quantum engine came out in 1986 (?) and has been the mainstay of walk behind lawnmower engines since then. Tecumseh walk power mower motors were all side valves as well until they went out of business. Honda has done the OHV and OHC thing for decades now. A 1990 OHV would be quite rare, I can't even think of what engine that might be.

All the companies *make* small OHV engines, but they don't have the proven track record or durability of the side valves.

In fact, the B&S Quantum motor is so ubiquitous, we order those slightly rectangular air filters, 491588S, in boxes roughly the same size as a U-Haul size large.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Skyssx posted:

The B&S Quantum engine came out in 1986 (?) and has been the mainstay of walk behind lawnmower engines since then. Tecumseh walk power mower motors were all side valves as well until they went out of business. Honda has done the OHV and OHC thing for decades now. A 1990 OHV would be quite rare, I can't even think of what engine that might be.

All the companies *make* small OHV engines, but they don't have the proven track record or durability of the side valves.

In fact, the B&S Quantum motor is so ubiquitous, we order those slightly rectangular air filters, 491588S, in boxes roughly the same size as a U-Haul size large.
What's the advantage of side valves that makes them so common for these small engines?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

grover posted:

What's the advantage of side valves that makes them so common for these small engines?

Simplicity.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Reinforcing my position that any Kohler newer than a Magnum is crap. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Simplicity.

Yeah, the performance that people need out of a small engine doesn't always necessitate the benefits of a OHV/OHC arrangement. With a flathead you get a cylinder head that's extremely simple, and two valves driven directly by a cam (that can be driven by a gear off of the crank). OHV you need to at least add pushrods and rockers to it, maybe even lifters? Never seen a GX pulled apart.

That said, I do like the OHC GC160 my dad put on our little go-kart. Easy as hell to start and ran drat well once you tweaked the governor to get a little extra RPM.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Plus how much money do you think you save on castings and all of that good stuff to make flatheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bucephalus posted:

Reinforcing my position that any Kohler newer than a Magnum is crap. :colbert:

I like the Command series a lot too, so smooth and reliable. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.