Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Minidust posted:

This sure is an odd example to use! It pretty much defined the "dirty ending" to an I Quit match.

At the point before the dirty ending, Mick had already lost. It was impossible for him to come back and win. There were only two possibilities remaining:
1. Mick gives up.
2. Mick dies.

In either case, Rock wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BigDanRTW posted:

I SWEAR before one of the games (the next one I'm assuming) Randy Savage cut a heel promo talking about how great the move was by Hrbek and that he wasn't cheating.

Randy Savage turned face at WrestleMania VII, which was in spring 1991. The timeline doesn't add up, you're probably confusing a few different things.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

At the point before the dirty ending, Mick had already lost. It was impossible for him to come back and win. There were only two possibilities remaining:
1. Mick gives up.
2. Mick dies.

how about

3. someone comes out and takes the handcuffs off

It's no DQ, after all.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lamuella posted:

how about

3. someone comes out and takes the handcuffs off

It's no DQ, after all.

Wasn't Mick supposed to be unconscious when the Rock won? Doesn't that mean he technically lost anyway?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

crankdatbatman posted:

Wasn't Mick supposed to be unconscious when the Rock won? Doesn't that mean he technically lost anyway?

It was an "I Quit" match, not a Last Man Standing match. I don't think there was any provision for a failure to answer a ten-count or whatever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Super Ninja Fish posted:

1. Mick gives up.
2. Mick dies.

Rock realises Foley will never quit no matter what he does so gives up?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Super Ninja Fish posted:

1. Mick gives up.
2. Mick dies.

It was revealed on Raw the next night that Foley didn't actually say I Quit, it was a recording.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

It was revealed on Raw the next night that Foley didn't actually say I Quit, it was a recording.

That's what I was responding to. I said "before the dirty finish" , Mick was already the definite loser of the match. If anything, the ref should have put a stop to it way before that recording was played.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Super Ninja Fish posted:

At the point before the dirty ending, Mick had already lost. It was impossible for him to come back and win.

1. You can still DDT a guy with your hands cuffed behind your back.
2. Mankind could have dislocated his shoulders, flipped the cuffs to the front and choked Rock with it until he quit.
3. Shoulder block Rock off something.

Even if Mankind was unconscious, this is wrestling. You can still win a match unconscious.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

1. You can still DDT a guy with your hands cuffed behind your back.
2. Mankind could have dislocated his shoulders, flipped the cuffs to the front and choked Rock with it until he quit.
3. Shoulder block Rock off something.

Even if Mankind was unconscious, this is wrestling. You can still win a match unconscious.

Foley was on the ground near death leaking his brains out. He wasn't getting up and giving the Rock a DDT. The match was over.

If the recording wasn't played, the ref would have had to stop it anyway. The only reason he didn't do it already is because it was wrestling.

It makes no sense for the ref to let it go on and let Foley die because of the .01% possibility that someone will come out to help him.

Rock won it clean. The recording just saved Foley's life.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Foley was on the ground near death leaking his brains out. He wasn't getting up and giving the Rock a DDT. The match was over.

If the recording wasn't played, the ref would have had to stop it anyway. The only reason he didn't do it already is because it was wrestling.

It makes no sense for the ref to let it go on and let Foley die because of the .01% possibility that someone will come out to help him.

Rock won it clean. The recording just saved Foley's life.

Or maybe any of this poo poo could happen because wrestling isn't real.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Or maybe any of this poo poo could happen because wrestling isn't real.

Do you reply like this about other TV shows? When someone criticizes the logic of another show and says a character wouldn't do a certain thing, do you put your fingers in your ears and tell them they can do anything because it's fake?

Scripted shows still usually have to have some semblance of making sense. A jobber isn't going to no-sell a sledgehammer shot from HHH to the face and then turn around, beat HHH senseless, and pin him cleanly. An unconscious handcuffed Mick Foley who took 20 chair shots to the head isn't going to get up and win. (Without help.. which a ref wouldn't have any reason to believe was coming) If he did, it would be the fakest looking match of all time.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Do you reply like this about other TV shows? When someone criticizes the logic of another show and says a character wouldn't do a certain thing, do you put your fingers in your ears and tell them they can do anything because it's fake?

Scripted shows still usually have to have some semblance of making sense. A jobber isn't going to no-sell a sledgehammer shot from HHH to the face and then turn around, beat HHH senseless, and pin him cleanly. An unconscious handcuffed Mick Foley who took 20 chair shots to the head isn't going to get up and win. (Without help.. which a ref wouldn't have any reason to believe was coming) If he did, it would be the fakest looking match of all time.

While I'll agree it's very unlikely it would happen, the important thing is that it could. Cena's debut match he very nearly beat Angle after kicking out of an Angle Slam and not submitting to an ankle lock. Now, obviously Cena went on to become Superman so you could argue he was never going to be a jobber, but this was his debut match - who knew what was going to happen?

As for Foley not quitting after being knocked unconscious and bleeding all over the place: this is the same guy that carried on with the Undertaker Hell in a Cell match so the precedent was already there.

No it's not particularly realistic that this would have happened, but to say it couldn't happen because it would look like "the fakest looking match of all time" seems a bit disingenious.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Super Ninja Fish posted:

No dude, but Mankind is the guy who got tossed of a 20 foot cell and kept going, then got chokeslammed through the roof and kept going. That's 2 things out of a million that could justify him getting up and kicking the Rock in the balls or something. I mean, I don't really care about the match, but it certainly wasn't a clean win.

E:/\ Trans-atlantic mind meld! /\

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 19, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The original question was whether a face had cleanly lost an I Quit match, i.e. had actually been depicted as saying "I Quit." Mick's kayfabe ability to fight back is a completely different point.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That's what I was responding to. I said "before the dirty finish" , Mick was already the definite loser of the match. If anything, the ref should have put a stop to it way before that recording was played.

The ref should have unlocked the cuffs as soon as they were put on. The ref should have warned The Rock that handcuffing a man would result in a disqualification. There were a lot of things the ref should have done.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

The ref should have unlocked the cuffs as soon as they were put on. The ref should have warned The Rock that handcuffing a man would result in a disqualification. There were a lot of things the ref should have done.

There are no disqualifications in an I Quit match. It would be like an umpire threatening to send the pitcher to the penalty box for intentionally walking someone. Or the manager for ordering a bunt.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That wasn't the rules of the match.

It's an "I Quit" match, not a "The ref thinks this guy will definitely lose" match.

The match only ended when one of the two participants said "I quit". Anything else that could happen (handcuffs, chairshots, run ins, unconsciousness) was within the rules.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

why dismiss a run-in as such a remote possibility?

Foley was a popular babyface. Run-ins are common in wrestling. There had been multiple run-ins in the match where Foley won this very title.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

A jobber isn't going to no-sell a sledgehammer shot from HHH to the face and then turn around, beat HHH senseless, and pin him cleanly.

Does the ref call the match the moment HHH hits someone with the sledgehammer? Or does he wait for the pin?

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 19, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

It's an "I Quit" match, not a "The ref thinks this guy will definitely lose" match.

The match only ended when one of the two participants said "I quit". Anything else that could happen (handcuffs, chairshots, run ins, unconsciousness) was within the rules.

The Rock could have killed Mick Foley. He could have sharpened the steel chair and decapitated Foley. He then could have sat down with one of Foley's kids to play Yahtzee and after being unable to get one, throw his dice aside and shout, "I QUIT THIS ROODY POO GAME!"

Mankind wins.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

The Rock could have killed Mick Foley. He could have sharpened the steel chair and decapitated Foley. He then could have sat down with one of Foley's kids to play Yahtzee and after being unable to get one, throw his dice aside and shout, "I QUIT THIS ROODY POO GAME!"

Mankind wins.

I seem to recall an I Quit match where the ref asked one guy "Do you quit?" and the guy said "yes", so the ref rang the bell, and later the guy disputed the result because he said "I thought the ref asked if I thought I was handsome"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Wow, this is getting stupid now. If a participant refuses to quit, there's no way he can win, and he may die if a match is not called, the ref has to put a stop to it, period. The match is over.

quote:

why dismiss a run-in as such a remote possibility?

Foley was a popular babyface. Run-ins are common in wrestling. There had been multiple run-ins in the match where Foley won this very title.

So you really think a ref should let someone die because someone may come out to help him. Are you really this dumb or are you just trying to troll me?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lamuella posted:

Someone mentioned Bret Hart vs. Austin earlier, and there we had exactly the situation argued about here: Austin is in the sharpshooter, bloodied and screaming, and passes out. The ref awards Bret Hart the win, with the kayfabe explanation that passing out is kind of like tapping out, or something.

Nobody bought that, and passing out instead of admitting defeat made Austin look like a complete hardass. Nobody argued about how likely it was that Austin would have won, what was important for the story of the match and the overall feud was that he didn't submit.

And Foley didn't, either.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Wow, this is getting stupid now. If a participant refuses to quit, there's no way he can win, and he may die if a match is not called, the ref has to put a stop to it, period. The match is over.

My point is that in the rules of an "I quit" match, as they are currently understood there is no provision for referee stoppage.

Whether he would want to or not, the ref is not empowered to stop the match.

quote:

So you really think a ref should let someone die because someone may come out to help him. Are you really this dumb or are you just trying to troll me?

it's not about what the ref should do, it's about what the ref has the power to do.

"I quit" matches require a little more suspension of disbelief than regular wrestling matches because within their rules there is only one victory condition and it requires the active participation of the person losing. They require not just that a person loses but that the losing person is humiliated, not just that someone is beaten but that someone gives up.

The rules of the match, as commonly expressed, are that the only way to win is to make your opponent say "I quit". It may well be that if WWE was more realistic about the way they put things like this together there would be other victory conditions or grounds for match stoppage, but WWE has never expressed that there are such grounds. This is a fault in WWE's writing and stipulations, not in my interpretation of such.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I always though of I Quit-matches as being related to regular submission-matches kind of like Hell in a Cell is related to a regular cage-match. They share some basic rules and characteristics (a form of submission as humiliation and a no way out-factor, respectively), but the former is sort of an escalation of the latter, and was invented to avoid shenanigans like "can't lose via unconsciousness" or "people interfere despite cage, cage must be even cage-ier".

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Look at this from a booking perspective. That match got Mankind over huge for being able to absorb an inhuman amount of punishment without quitting. It got Rocky over because he went above and beyond what it should have taken to put down any mortal man, and had to resort to a very heelish tactic to win the match.

Rock got over, Mankind got over. It told a fantastic story, and that was that.

It doesn't matter about the what-if's. Wrestling is scripted.

Grendels Dad posted:

I always though of I Quit-matches as being related to regular submission-matches kind of like Hell in a Cell is related to a regular cage-match. They share some basic rules and characteristics (a form of submission as humiliation and a no way out-factor, respectively), but the former is sort of an escalation of the latter, and was invented to avoid shenanigans like "can't lose via unconsciousness" or "people interfere despite cage, cage must be even cage-ier".
They're a more humiliating way of putting on a submission match. Rather than just tapping out, you're forced to vocally submit, in front of an audience of millions. Matches don't exactly have to end in a submission hold, but your have to beat an opponent so severely he cannot take anymore, or just scare him into quitting the match. The "I Quit" is to a submission match, as a Texas Death Match, is to a regular pinfall match. They're two extremes of a simple match variation.

e: Heeling. Heeling with chairs. Fixed a typo.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 19, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flameingblack, just so you know, reducing someone's argument to an all caps sentence filled with spelling errors doesn't make them look dumb.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lamuella posted:

flameingblack, just so you know, reducing someone's argument to an all caps sentence filled with spelling errors doesn't make them look dumb.

I fixed it just for you, shugah.

Either way, it's a baffling argument to make in a scripted environment. I think there's a certain responsibility that referees have to make, including judgment calls on whether someone can compete or not, even in matches like I Quit. It's perfectly fine with me when a referee calls for a TKO in an MMA fight, I don't see why it's within a referee's right to do so in an I Quit match. Besides, I've seen I Quit matches end by managers throwing in the towel, so what's the big deal?

It just feels dumb to have to argue with someone over whether or not a referee should call a match before someone gets legitimate permanent damage (Even outside of Kayfabe)

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Everyone knows about how the Royal Rumble match and Money in the Bank originated. Is there a story of how they came up with the I Quit match?

This was way before tap-outs entered en vogue in the late 90s (I guess) so they always said ''I Quit'' to submit back then. Was it pretty much the same as a submission match but with the added attraction of a live mic?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Haha missed this.

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't get how saying it is worse than tapping out in the same way a big cage + roof is worse than cage without roof. Why can't you lose via unconsciousness in an I Quit match if you can in a normal Submission match? Why wouldn't the same rules apply? It's not like if a guy passes out he definitely can't say anything but his lifeless hands can still tap.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Web Jew.0 posted:

Haha missed this.

I don't get how saying it is worse than tapping out in the same way a big cage + roof is worse than cage without roof. Why can't you lose via unconsciousness in an I Quit match if you can in a normal Submission match? Why wouldn't the same rules apply? It's not like if a guy passes out he definitely can't say anything but his lifeless hands can still tap.

tapping isn't the only way to lose a submission match. The pre-tap pantomime used to be raising and dropping the arm, with three drops meaning submission.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Everyone knows about how the Royal Rumble match and Money in the Bank originated. Is there a story of how they came up with the I Quit match?

well, the first one was Blanchard/Magnum TA at Starrcade 85. Not sure of the background there, though.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 19, 2011

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
A ref really isn't able to end a match if one of the competitor's life is in danger? Is that a legitimate stipulation?

Also how in the blue hell could they pull off a spot where a guy can DDT another wrestler with his hands handcuffed behind his back?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Web Jew.0 posted:

I don't get how saying it is worse than tapping out in the same way a big cage + roof is worse than cage without roof.

It is worse in wrestling-land, where people Never Quit. Why is it so hard for people to get the distinction between tapping out and saying Oh God Oh God Please Make It Stop into their heads? One is like being pinned, it sucks but is kind of part of the deal. The other is verbally expressing your inferiority. Nobody says it's not kind of childish, so if it helps, think of it as a Say Uncle-match.

quote:

Why can't you lose via unconsciousness in an I Quit match if you can in a normal Submission match? Why wouldn't the same rules apply?

Because it's a a different kind of match! I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse, but your question basically boils down to "They are not the same type of match, why do they have different rules?"

quote:

It's not like if a guy passes out he definitely can't say anything but his lifeless hands can still tap.

And it's not like the rules can't change into anything that's needed at the moment, either. Anyway, the I Quit-match is supposed to be more eXtreme than a submission-match. You don't just slap a submission-hold on your opponent, you try to crush him with a forklift!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

A ref really isn't able to end a match if one of the competitor's life is in danger? Is that a legitimate stipulation?

Sorry for double-posting, but you must have missed all the times where matches were stopped because one of the wrestlers bled a little.

The Rock/Mankind scenario was bang in the middle of the Attitude Era. Slightly different times.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

Because it's a a different kind of match! I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse, but your question basically boils down to "They are not the same type of match, why do they have different rules?"

Yeah but throughout a "sport" there are defined rules that transcend stipulations. If you are unconscious, you cannot compete anymore. It makes no sense to continue the match after that. The ref at the very least has to throw the match out. What, do you think people really want to see a person beating up an unconscious dude, or just sit around until the guy wakes up?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

crankdatbatman posted:

It's not spelled out that way. The whole problem is that it's not spelled out in any way. There's nothing that says he can't stop the match but also nothing that says he can.

there's also the question of whether, if the ref could end the match if someone's life were in danger, it would end as a no contest, or as a win for his opponent.

ultimately speaking, the ambiguity doesn't matter too much, because unless a wrestling company are being idiots any rule that will actually affect the match will be spelled out fairly explicitly beforehand.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Also how in the blue hell could they pull off a spot where a guy can DDT another wrestler with his hands handcuffed behind his back?
Tommy Dreamer does it all the time, actually. But that doesn't mean that a handcuffed Mick Foley is going to be able to win an I Quit match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah but throughout a "sport" there are defined rules that transcend stipulations. If you are unconscious, you cannot compete anymore. It makes no sense to continue the match after that. The ref at the very least has to throw the match out. What, do you think people really want to see a person beating up an unconscious dude, or just sit around until the guy wakes up?

If the unconsciousness is part of the match, sure. If a guy is For Real unconscious because of a botch or something, there is very little doubt that the match will be stopped, or there is some cover-up being done on the fly. But we are not arguing about botches here. We are mostly arguing about kayfabe stuff. And in kayfabe, in wrestling-land, a match that is decided by one of the participants saying that he quits could well go on as long as neither of them has said it, for whatever reason.

People don't *really* want to see John Cena kill somebody for real, or Randy Orton punting someone into a coma for real so what's your point in bringing that up?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

People don't *really* want to see John Cena kill somebody for real, or Randy Orton punting someone into a coma for real so what's your point in bringing that up?

I am talking about kayfabe, of course. Mick Foley losing the I Quit match due to being unconscious would be the same as Austin losing the submission match due to being unconscious; regardless of the match stipulation, Foley would come out of it looking good while still losing the title.

Flameingblack posted:

Tommy Dreamer does it all the time, actually. But that doesn't mean that a handcuffed Mick Foley is going to be able to win an I Quit match.

Admittedly I have seen maybe two Tommy Dreamer matches my entire life, but it still boggles my mind. How could you pull that off without making it look really contrived?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

Admittedly I have seen maybe two Tommy Dreamer matches my entire life, but it still boggles my mind. How could you pull that off without making it look really contrived?

He kicks them in the stomach and spends two minutes trying to wrap his arm around their head. I think he's done it to Raven at least twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

I am talking about kayfabe, of course. Mick Foley losing the I Quit match due to being unconscious would be the same as Austin losing the submission match due to being unconscious; regardless of the match stipulation, Foley would come out of it looking good while still losing the title.

Well, in this case Rock kind of *tricked* the referee into believing that Mick Foley was still conscious.

Additionally, nobody would go the "Ask Him!"-route if they could just as well pummel their opponent into unconsciousness and win just as well. The aim is to humiliate your opponent by beating on him so much that he begs you to stop. Beating him so much that he can't say it anymore might make you look like a badass, but it goes against what the reason for the match actually is.