Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pweller posted:

Wtf I didn't realize that... just checked and they have the exact same package levels as Shaw. Sucks not having any other options.

StealthArcher, I'm pretty sure Shaw offers some sort of $15 internet deal for students. If you're in res though I'm pretty sure you don't have any choice.
U of M campus internet is actually pretty awesome. Free wifi all over campus with good speeds. You shouldn't have any problems.

5GB each up/down

Per MONTH.

gently caress that.

I mean good god, Alberta only gave you 1 up/down per day, but at least their IT was incompetent and I regularly got away with 20+

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

I just ordered Teksavvy today :dance:

I've been on poo poo Bell DSL since 2005 and my speeds are exactly what they were six years ago. Of course the monthly charges have gone up 40% in that time.

It is going to be a glorious phone call I make to Bell on May 19th as I drop DSL and phone and suspend satellite for the summer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
TekSavvy should really be made aware of this thread.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Who says they aren't? :ninja:

j/k My Teksavvy cable gets hooked up on Saturday and I'm picking up my modem tonight :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving Teksaavy only offers dialup here in Winnipeg, hopefully they can move to cable so I can jump off Shaws dick. I love seeing my upload hit almost 300KB but gently caress, it scares the poo poo out of me cause I will be getting that much closer to the cap.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Who says they aren't? :ninja:

j/k My Teksavvy cable gets hooked up on Saturday and I'm picking up my modem tonight :D

Mine is supposed to switch over from Shaw today. I can still remote home so it must not have happened yet. I'll power cycle my modem when I get home and see if it switches. :f5:

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

StealthArcher posted:

5GB each up/down

Per MONTH.

gently caress that.

I mean good god, Alberta only gave you 1 up/down per day, but at least their IT was incompetent and I regularly got away with 20+

This is in rez or the Shaw student plan? Which building?
I'm pretty sure you can download to your hearts content in EITC or UC across the street.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Getting mine installed tomorrow. The Rogers installer is going to have all sorts of fun since I live in a 100 year old house that appears to have no cable line at all. Teksavvy said "Rogers has to make it work, even if it means a new line" so we'll see what happens.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Zigmidge posted:

TekSavvy should really be made aware of this thread.
I'm sure they are well aware already:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kuddles posted:

I'm sure they are well aware already:

Ugh. This is both great and scary. If there ever was a target for Rogers to get all anti-competitive on, its Teksavvy. I think Rogers is just patiently waiting right now to soak up all the wholesale customers from Bell and then they'll drop the hammer on ultra-strict UBB.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For what it's worth, my issues with switching to TekSavvy Cable from their DSL seem to have spontaneously vanished. My pings are a solid <20ms when gaming with no spikes, and YouTube runs great at 1080P again. :cheers:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rogers cable installer showed up, saw that I didn't have a cable box outside my house, shrugged his shoulders and said he wasn't equipped for it, rescheduled, and left.

I left specific instructions about my lack of cable box when I signed up :smith:

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Lemons posted:

Mine is supposed to switch over from Shaw today. I can still remote home so it must not have happened yet. I'll power cycle my modem when I get home and see if it switches. :f5:

Here's an update to this.

It was supposed to be switched over yesterday, but I had no idea when. I power cycled the modem a few times last night but it always came back with a Shaw IP.

This morning I woke up and checked. No internet, and flashing send and receive lights on my modem. Power cycling didn't help. At this point it was starting to sound like some of the horror stories I'd read online about people being without internet for a week or two when switching.

So, I called Teksavvy tech support, gave the guy the story, and he said it sounded like Shaw hadn't switched me over properly. He sent something off to Shaw to have them fix it. He said it should be fixed within 24 hours. I left for work and hoped it would be fixed by the time I got home.

Well, I just checked my VOIP service and saw that my home phones had registered from a different IP than usual. So I sshed to that IP, and sure enough, I'm back online. From the time I called to the time that I discovered I was back, it was a maximum of 1.5 hours. I was a little wary of having to call Teksavvy to have them to call Shaw to get poo poo fixed, but I'm pretty impressed with that.

Speeds seem the same as they were with Shaw, 23Mbps down, 2.1Mbps up.

:thumbsup: so far, but I haven't really used it much. I'll put it through it's paces this weekend.

Lemons fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 13, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's nice you had a good response time with Shaw. When I have troubles with my connection I have to hound TekSavvy to hound Bell day and night for them to do any service work at all.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Do any Vancouver/BC goons have suggestions for an ISP? I am also looking to finally get on a Canadian cell phone provider and snag a iPhone 4G (or maybe hold out for a 5G), so that's something to consider.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

!amicable posted:

Do any Vancouver/BC goons have suggestions for an ISP? I am also looking to finally get on a Canadian cell phone provider and snag a iPhone 4G (or maybe hold out for a 5G), so that's something to consider.

Teksavvy. Alternatively Telus will give you $200 towards a cell phone if you sign a 2 year contract.

http://www.telus.com/content/internet/promotions/amex.jsp

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

less than three posted:

Teksavvy. Alternatively Telus will give you $200 towards a cell phone if you sign a 2 year contract.

http://www.telus.com/content/internet/promotions/amex.jsp

The deal is great, but I would only be getting internet in my place in August and the deal is only good until June. Speaking of 4G networks, is there any consensus about which carrier has the better network?

I have only been living in Canada for one year and was on a US plan so I'm still pretty uninformed about the whole landscape. I just crape iPhoney goodness.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

!amicable posted:

The deal is great, but I would only be getting internet in my place in August and the deal is only good until June. Speaking of 4G networks, is there any consensus about which carrier has the better network?

I have only been living in Canada for one year and was on a US plan so I'm still pretty uninformed about the whole landscape. I just crape iPhoney goodness.

The Telus/Bell shared network is awesome. I could also probably hook you up with a nice discounted cell plan with Bell.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Telus has the single worst billing department I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Have fun with random bills and calls from collections from them for 8 months after you cancel after your contract is up!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

!amicable posted:

It's worth pointing out that no Canadian provider actually has a 4G network currently, despite their "advertising". As for who has the best, it depends on where you live. There are only two worth looking at in terms of the "best" network however. Rogers (including Fido and Chatr) which has the benefit of having a legacy 2G network to fall back on, and the Telus/Bell (includes Virgin,Solo,Koodo, and Clearnet) network which is 3G only. Again, it really depends on your location and who provides the best service where you live and work.

e: I live in Burnaby Heights and go to SFU. I use Bell, and have never had a reception issue outside of the whole concrete bunker classrooms that plague everyone.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 14, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The above is true. For example, speaking anecdotaly I've noticed that Rogers is less good way out in the boonies (e.g. Pitt Meadows, Langley) when compared to Bellus. Both are pretty good downtown, with Rogers edging them out for me because for some bizarre reason I get good reception in elevators on Rogers but not with Bellus.

Smutton
Jun 5, 2005
Just signed up for Teksavvy too and can't wait to get out of this Bell BS. I still don't feel any relief yet. We still have 10 more days and I'm paranoid as poo poo that they're going to pull something. It already looks like that may have retracted $123 in credits but we'll see how that pans out.

e, I assumed earlier that they had definitely retracted the credit.. it's looking like it may be a technical error on their site. Here's hoping for best? :suicide:

Smutton fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 15, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Not even a month into the new government, and Harper is already wanting to remove our online rights.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/proposed-crime-bill-makes-anonymity-and-hyperlinks-illegal-canada

quote:

Will anonymity and hyperlinks be illegal in Canada?

A new crime bill proposed by the Conservative government suggests that it could. The bill, one of several that is scheduled to be read in Parliament, would place new limits on creating hyperlinks to content considered to be illegal or to using a pseudonym online.

On the surface the idea is ridiculous. Both of these things are central to making the Internet what it is - a vehicle for citizen-centric dialogue and sharing information. Surely the government would never adopt such a position!

But during the past election campaign Stephen Harper made it clear that he intended to ram through a collection of crime bills within his first 100 days of office. These bills include, among other things, allowing government increased power to monitor your activities online. They also include a provision that would penalize people for linking to content that is considered 'hate speech' and for using names that protect their anonymity online.

These laws are meant to give police more powers to fight hate speech and harassment but as a recent Macleans article points out, they are poorly written and vague, leaving them far too open to interpretation.

While advocating and perpetuating hate should absolutely not be tolerated, the proposed crime bill does not make a distinction between people who are spreading hate and those who comment on it. Should it not be our right as citizens to be able to comment on things, regardless of their content? Restricting our ability to do so is a serious violation of our freedom of speech.

As written, the crime bill holds us responsible for the actions of other people. The content of websites on the internet changes all the time. Something that you link to today could contain hate speech tomorrow, and you have no control over that content.

This legislation will inhibit dialogues that need to happen in our society and punish people for exercising their right to freedom of speech.

Canadians need a citizen-centric and affordable internet that enables them to speak openly about issues that matter to them. It's clear that these new crime bills are taking us in the wrong direction.

This is why it is so important that we grow our Pro-Internet Community and continue to pressure the government to promote an open and affordable internet that serves the public. Together we can keep the government accountable and the internet free.

I suck at bolding so if I missed anything relevant...

Anyway, the original MacLeans article is here.
Bill information is here

Now again, this is from a MacLeans article, so expect it to be somewhat skewed.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 16, 2011

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Migishu posted:

Not even a month into the new government, and Harper is already wanting to remove our online rights.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/proposed-crime-bill-makes-anonymity-and-hyperlinks-illegal-canada

I suck at bolding so if I missed anything relevant...

Anyway, the original MacLeans article is here.
Bill information is here

Now again, this is from a MacLeans article, so expect it to be somewhat skewed.

This will be the last post by this citizen spreading hate speech against the Harper Government!

Honestly though, I think we as a nation are pretty hosed for the next 4 years for sure and possibly until the next tech evolution comes. Just wait until he passes the connection tapping for no reason bill (which has already been mentioned in the past). At that point we will likely have some form of secret police who will do nothing but monitor content by Canadians, track online activity, and continue down the path of the Americans and basically become enforcers of lobbyist desires. It will be for the protection of the people, the safety of our nation, and to keep our children free from online predators. iTunes will likely be forced to adhere to CanCon, as will Youtube. Hope you like The Tragically Hip in every playlist, and old episodes of Corner Gas every 9 youtube clips...

We need to setup a nationwide Tor network or massive VPN to outmaneuver our government.

/paranoid end of the world mode

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard
I just came across this article via Michael Geist's blog.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/269531-why-canadian-cable-companies-and-telecoms-are-in-trouble posted:

If the new Conservative majority government in Canada has its way, the telecommunications industry in Canada will be liberalized through some form of relaxation of foreign ownership restrictions in the sector. The existing foreign ownership restrictions in Canada, among the most onerous in the developed world, have up to this point protected Canadian firms from real competition and allowed them to enjoy inflated margins as members of a cozy oligopoly.

Liberalization could prove disastrous for incumbent Canadian telecom and media conglomerates, including Bell, Rogers (RCI), Telus (TU) and Shaw (SJR). While new developments in internet video technology have already threatened the existing telecoms business model in Canada, further liberalization of this market could accelerate the erosion of incumbents’ market share, pricing power, and industry control.

The article is quite a bit longer, and talks about Netflix and Globalive as examples. Perhaps this will serve as the silver lining, if indeed any of this stuff actually happens. And if it does, perhaps it will serve as a wake-up call to Bell, Rogers, et al.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tony Clement is no longer the Minister of Industry. We were probably screwed either way but I think this is generally bad news.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

8ender posted:

Ugh. This is both great and scary. If there ever was a target for Rogers to get all anti-competitive on, its Teksavvy. I think Rogers is just patiently waiting right now to soak up all the wholesale customers from Bell and then they'll drop the hammer on ultra-strict UBB.
I think it depends on who is the new Industry minister.

Fakeedit: gently caress it isn't Clement. Okay, we're boned.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

God drat it. Clement was a bro on the whole internet issue. I hope the new guy will be good.:shobon:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TekSavvy cable, here I come! Modem arrived yesterday, tech comes today to activate it. Going from 5M TekSavvy DSL to 15M cable is going to be pretty sweet, and it's cheaper, too, since I no longer have to pay for phone service to run it on.

EngineerJoe posted:

Tony Clement is no longer the Minister of Industry. We were probably screwed either way but I think this is generally bad news.

Motherfuuuuuuuuck

We really need to get this electoral system unfucked. :smith:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
His replacement has an interesting Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Paradis

This is not good.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

BGrifter posted:

This is not good.

"Togneri is alleged to have interfered with at least four access-to-information requests while working for Paradis.[3][4]"

Now I see who's messing with ATIP. Maybe we should get the PM some man sized safes?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

BGrifter posted:

This is not good.

Oh wow gently caress that guy. When I was at PWGSC I didn't know a single coworker who knew him that liked him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

!amicable posted:

I'm a little late on this but if you're in an appropriate condo, Novus has FttB for $30/month for 20mbps up/down if you bundle it with TV and/or phone.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

I'm a little late on this but if you're in an appropriate condo, Novus has FttB for $30/month for 20mbps up/down if you bundle it with TV and/or phone.

Yeah, Novus if you can get it.

If not, go with Teksavvy. They won't give you a discount off a mobile, but they're $xx cheaper than Shaw or Telus, which more than makes up for the $200 you'd get off a phone from them. (Also no contract.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Finally got my Teksavvy cable installed and goddamn is it ever fast compared to the 5meg DSL service. My house didn't have cable at all and true to Teksavvy's word the Rogers installer did run an entirely new cable from the box and installed a drop in my basement.

Speedboost is at play here in this speedtest; most of the time I'm getting a solid 15/1Mbit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

Finally got my Teksavvy cable installed and goddamn is it ever fast compared to the 5meg DSL service. My house didn't have cable at all and true to Teksavvy's word the Rogers installer did run an entirely new cable from the box and installed a drop in my basement.

Speedboost is at play here in this speedtest; most of the time I'm getting a solid 15/1Mbit:

:stare:

Here's hoping they expand to Brockville. Currently waiting on their DSL install, but when cable becomes available...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So anyone need a DSL modem? :D

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

So anyone need a DSL modem? :D

Make that two DSL modems! Everyone's jumping on TekSavvy cable 'round here!

*edit* You buying your cable modem from TS? I'm trying to find a good deal on a compatible one in the Toronto area.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Unf Speeedboost. The drat thing was boosting to 60Mbit during this test:

The upside of living near Woodstock, Ontario I guess. Theres like no one on this POI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Rogers called me yesterday because I finally managed to ditch the last service I had with them. They asked why they are losing me as a customer and what they could do to keep me.

I told em that I wanted truly unlimited Internet, to which their response was that they don't offer that. I countered with "Well that would be why you're losing me as a customer :smug: " We both got a nice chuckle out of that and wished each other a nice day.

Also, what's this speedboost people are talking about?