Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

I got irritated by the end of DQ6 where I had dozens of abilities on every character and had no idea what most of them did, and most of them were useless.

This is entirely fair, although I think it applies to all the DQ games going forward from 6 too. 7 had pretty much the same job system, and even in the supposedly-revolutionary and well-balanced 9 I never used half the spells and abilities I received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I've never understood why people like 3 (including its job system) so much. I can understand in the context of NES RPGs, and the influence of nostalgia, but otherwise... eh.

The most interesting aspect of DQ3's class system was changing classes from a martial-type to a caster-type, or vice versa. It was pretty fun to take your starting priest and turn him into a warrior, so he became a martial-type character who could also heal you and buff as necessary. And then you could turn your starting warrior into a priest, so that he became a priest with some extra strength and hp. Then add a sage and a hero, and all four of your characters had healing ability. By NES standards that was pretty in-depth party-planning.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Draile posted:

The most interesting aspect of DQ3's class system was changing classes from a martial-type to a caster-type, or vice versa. It was pretty fun to take your starting priest and turn him into a warrior, so he became a martial-type character who could also heal you and buff as necessary. And then you could turn your starting warrior into a priest, so that he became a priest with some extra strength and hp. Then add a sage and a hero, and all four of your characters had healing ability. By NES standards that was pretty in-depth party-planning.

I'm torn. I loved and hated DQ3's class system as much as I love and hate DQ6's class system. I always felt that in DQ3, taking two physical classes and combining them was smart but that mixing caster and physical only meant that you're now teased with having a strong physical attack and heal in case of emergency. I'll admit that there's been times that I've been glad my fighter had healall but, unless I was a min/max junky, never in all my play throughs did I make my fighter/warrior a priest as well. Also doing the same with a mage seemed pointless because the physical attacks would be better from the physical offense.

I completely understand the annoyance of having a ton of abilities and no reason to use them. I see the AI using the same 2 or 3 spells/skills all the time with maybe 1 in 50 being a random ability which has no merit to being used.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Dragon Quest 6 always bothered me with the plot threads they just flat out forgot about. They put effort into most of them, but others just fell by the wayside. Mainly it was those related to Milly.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Arcaeris posted:

Well it's obvious you're either a way too apologetic fanboy or a troll, so this is just about over.

I grew up playing RPGs that by today's standards can only be called "punishing." You might have a thing for those, but I'm not about to fire up The Bard's Tale or Ultima III or poo poo like that again. DQVI is very much on the punishing end of the scale.

The thing about the jobs isn't just "abstracting" the battles thing, it's giving the player choice and information. That's what's archaic and frustrating, not your little rant about modern games. Instead of making a well-designed interface full of information and still providing challenge, they just obfuscate what are today considered essential details.

If you like an era of ancient game design, more power to you. I'm way over it.

Like you, I grew up playing those hard as nails RPGs as well, and I don't think I'd like going back, however I thought DQVI was pretty good. It wasn't as good as DQV, but what could be? The encounter level wasn't that bad either, I think your exaggerating. I mean, the battles generally last 2-3 rounds and all the moves are pretty snappy. As a result, the battles are over quick and progression comes easy.

I did get lost a couple times and notice the directions I got were actually wrong, so there's an error there, but all in all I really enjoyed classes.

I'm not really sure I understand what's so different between DQ and modern jRPGs anyway. Dragon Quest's system is pretty straightforward, and they tell you everything you need to know, especially compared to some other elaborate ones (FFXIII).

What kind of essential details do DQs not tell you that other games do?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

n0manarmy posted:

I completely understand the annoyance of having a ton of abilities and no reason to use them. I see the AI using the same 2 or 3 spells/skills all the time with maybe 1 in 50 being a random ability which has no merit to being used.

The "dozens of useless abilities" problem affects DQ9 too. And in both DQ9 and DQ6, the abilities aren't organized very well, so you're just flipping through page upon page of abilities looking for the one you want. It's the worst part of those class systems.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
DQ9 is at least nice enough to categorize abilities based on the weapon, followed by non-weapon class skills. Once you notice things like how sword skills tend to be at the very front of your skill list and how armamentalist skills tend to be at the very end, it gets a little easier knowing which end of the list you need to head towards to find your skill of choice. You'll still have 10+ pages to leaf through though.

With DQ6 I don't see any patterns aside from things like Whistle being the very last skill listed and aside fom how magic spells are listed before skills when you're not in a battle. There's not nearly as much clutter compared to DQ9 either, so as long as you don't branch out too much class-wise you'll only have three or four pages of spells and skills to look through.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

The Dragon Quest Collection for Wii has been announced.
It will contain both the Famicom AND Super Famicom versions of DQ 1, 2 and 3

So you can play the 3 games either 8-bit or 16-bit.

The collection is supposed to hit Japan sometime around September. And it's to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SereneCrimson posted:

And it's to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series.

Oh god this makes me feel so :corsair:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Square-Enix probably won’t bother translating it. And I can’t say I blame them this time.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

SereneCrimson posted:

Oh my god I want this to come out here so bad, but at the same time I know Nintendo probably won't bother retranslating the SFC versions.

But hey, a guy can dream right?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Is anyone here still looking for DQ5? I found someone selling it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I got in Dragon Quest 8 and Rogue Galaxy today, and noticed they were the same dev, so I looked up Level-5. Does anyone want to tell me how I played Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Professor Layton 1 and 2 and DQ 9 and never noticed they were all by the same developer? :psyduck:

Also, to make it slightly more on topic, anything special I need to know for 8? I've played 1-3 on Game Boy and 4 and 9 on DS.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, to make it slightly more on topic, anything special I need to know for 8? I've played 1-3 on Game Boy and 4 and 9 on DS.

You have very limited skill points, and unless you reference a guide you won't know what gets you what. So use a guide for planning your skills.

Angelo will have fewer skill points than everyone else unless you do an immense amount of grinding. Give him your skill seeds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mister Roboto posted:

Is anyone here still looking for DQ5? I found someone selling it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Heavenly-Bride-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001NJMMHG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305846814&sr=8-2-spell
On that note, it's on Amazon with a sale again, this time for $30 instead of $20 but it sure beats the $70 that other places were asking. If you missed the earlier promotion that sold out from a few weeks ago, this might be a good opportunity.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You're going to want to put some points in Spear for the Hero, and Axe for Yangus. That way you'll eventually get Thunder Thrust and Hatchet Man respectively, both of which are pretty much necessary for killing the metal slimes. If you've played 9 then you should know what I mean. Jessica and Angelo don't get any such skills, however.

Be careful about wasting skill points. Don't put any points in Boomerang or Fisticuffs. Boomerangs seem great early on, but get less and less useful as you go along.

Doing the Monster Arena quest as early as possible (about the time you get your own ship) can be frustrating as hell, but quite rewarding since the last two prizes are the second-best scythe and the best spear (except for one in the post-game dungeon).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mountaineer posted:

Be careful about wasting skill points. Don't put any points in Boomerang or Fisticuffs. Boomerangs seem great early on, but get less and less useful as you go along.

Eh I'd have to disagree. Getting a reasonable level in Boomerang for Hero and Fisticuffs for Yangus early on is extremely helpful. With moderate investment you'll gain access to very potent abilities that target all enemies. These are generally useful for a large portion of the game. Granted you don't have to invest anything into boomerangs for them to be effective early game, but it helps.

Honestly I thought it was quite helpful to review an ability FAQ before getting too far into the game. DQ8 is kinda obtuse in that you have no way of knowing if your skill point investment is worth it until your points are already spent. Generally it is inefficient to max skills because the "ultimate ability" is usually just a flashy move that costs a ton of MP. On the other hand sometimes a skill will grant you an extremely useful ability with minimal skill point investment.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I played DQ8 blind the first time I went through and I finished it just fine. There's a woman in Port Prospect that will tell you how many points to the next ability, however she won't say what it is or how useful it is. But at least you can know if it's a minimal investment or not.

Whatever path you choose, remember you have a team, not four disparate characters. For example, if you go with Boomerangs to let your Hero mop up the random battles, try to focus the other characters on healing or buffing or boss-killing; don't just make target-all steamroller.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The most important advice I can give for DQ8 is to make sure you grind enough levels to get Multi-Heal for Angelo before a certain boss fight.

You'll know the one when it comes.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just a quick question on Dragon Warrior VII. I've just arrived at Engow so I know I have some time before I have access to the class system, but even at this point should I avoid grinding out a few levels to prevent me from being over-leveled later when I'm trying to raise my job classes? From my understanding areas have level limits that, if exceeded, battles will no longer count towards raising classes. Will I be alright if I limit grinding to just raising money for equipment?

By the way this is my first Dragon Quest/Warrior game and so far I love it. I look forward to playing the older titles once I rock this one out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've noticed it's a bit grindy, but otherwise I'm loving it so far. The voice acting is absolutely fantastic. It may not be technically perfect, but it sets the mood really well. Toriyama did a great job with the art as always too, and the orchestral soundtrack is really fun, and a nice break from really synthy jRPG soundtracks.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Jive One posted:

Just a quick question on Dragon Warrior VII. I've just arrived at Engow so I know I have some time before I have access to the class system, but even at this point should I avoid grinding out a few levels to prevent me from being over-leveled later when I'm trying to raise my job classes? From my understanding areas have level limits that, if exceeded, battles will no longer count towards raising classes. Will I be alright if I limit grinding to just raising money for equipment?

By the way this is my first Dragon Quest/Warrior game and so far I love it. I look forward to playing the older titles once I rock this one out.

It's not that big of a deal, as most things I've read recommend a ridiculous amount of job grinding relative to the challenge of the game. That being said, there's no need to buy everything right away in DQ games. Grind a little to buy something really useful, like a whip or boomerang. If you encounter a boss that's a little too tough, grinding one level (or grinding until one character's personal abilities is learned) will usually be enough.

For the sake of reference, the level cap of the area you unlock jobs is Level 25, and the personal abilities are all learned by level 20 (usually earlier).

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Vakal posted:

The most important advice I can give for DQ8 is to make sure you grind enough levels to get Multi-Heal for Angelo before a certain boss fight.

You'll know the one when it comes.
Are you talking about Dhoulmagus? I couldn't beat him until I got Multi-Heal, and the fight was still tough for me IIRC.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

There are some places in DWVII where grinding is necessary. A lot of them, actually, the difficulty curve is schizophrenic. The worst is that place with the robots, I think.

On that note, GRACOS :argh:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jive One posted:

It's been a long time since I played through DQ7 but I don't remember that being a problem at all really. Also way later on there is a slime forest where you can seriously fight easy slimes to grind out all the jobs you want, so you don't have to worry about screwing yourself over by being too high level in that regard at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

J posted:

It's been a long time since I played through DQ7 but I don't remember that being a problem at all really. Also way later on there is a slime forest where you can seriously fight easy slimes to grind out all the jobs you want, so you don't have to worry about screwing yourself over by being too high level in that regard at all.

Plus you just about have to be leveled up a bit to survive Dharma, since the game really throws your rear end in the fire before giving you the class system.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I remember the JP DQ7 being buggy as all hell and prone to crashing. Mine crashed at the robot place right when I beat the boss, so when the screen went all sorts of hosed up, I thought, "Cool, neat effect." I was incensed several seconds later.
Since the shoestring-budget Enix USA only had like a dozen or so guys debugging DW7, I can't imagine it having been any less buggy.

I kind of wish I accepted their offer to edit the whole game for $30k over two months, but I was burned out completely from having translated GBC DW3, GBC DW Monsters 2 (I chortle when people call it Pokemon-like, well, yeah, same translator), and PS Torneko over the previous eight months.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I kind of wish I accepted their offer to edit the whole game for $30k over two months

So do I, that translation was horrible. Mis-spellings and grammatical errors all over the place. The fan done patches for the SNES versions of 5 and 6 are far more professional.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

LooseChanj posted:

So do I, that translation was horrible. Mis-spellings and grammatical errors all over the place. The fan done patches for the SNES versions of 5 and 6 are far more professional.

I'm not surprised. That team so infuriated Enix USA, I think they withheld the final payment and put that towards paying for the editor (a normal 9-5, 5-days/week kind of guy--no match for a creature like me who puts in 14-hour days for weeks on end to get projects out).
The only thing I helped on DW7 was doing the jester gags. I think I got paid $300 and an autographed copy of DQ7.
The same bunch put my bro through the ceiling when he was at Konami for the same reason of poo poo quality.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Doug Dinsdale” posted:

The same bunch put my bro through the ceiling when he was at Konami for the same reason of poo poo quality.

Let me guess… Suikoden and Suikoden II.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I kind of wish I accepted their offer to edit the whole game for $30k over two months, but I was burned out completely from having translated GBC DW3

Can I just say, thanks?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I finally got around to starting to play through this series. I just finished the first two games on GBC, and I've got everything set to start the SNES version of the third. Now I'm working on planning my party.

What abilities carry over after class changes? If I make a thief and switch to a fighter, will I still be able to steal? How many classes can I realistically expect a single character to get through over the course of the game?

Right now I'm thinking of using a Thief -> Fighter, Cleric -> Sage, and Wizard -> (Soldier?).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SereneCrimson posted:

The collection is supposed to hit Japan sometime around September. And it's to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series.

Holy gently caress I would kill for this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd buy this, but if Nintendo insists on pulling another loving Jedward stunt, It can take this and shove it right up their rear end.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
man, I'd put up with whatever stupid poo poo Nintendo wants to do to market it as long as we get it. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Awesomonster posted:

man, I'd put up with whatever stupid poo poo Nintendo wants to do to market it as long as we get it. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

Me too, but Jedward more or less murdered DQ 9 over here and to be perfectly blunt, it's all but one more point on the rather weighty doctrine of Nintendo's Crimes against Europe.

Or, to put it in less insane talk; I'd put up with a lot of poo poo, but Jedward crossed the loving line.

Also, is DQ 6 out in the UK? Because if it is, no one's bothered to tell me, that's for sure!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“ConanThe3rd” posted:

Also, is DQ 6 out in the UK? Because if it is, no one's bothered to tell me, that's for sure!

Came out on the 20th per Wikipedia.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
My friend is finally getting around to DQ9, and I had a question about the multiplayer. Its basically jump in/out co-op, where he'll progress normally and I'm along for the ride? And my hero character will just be another one of his party members?

Another question...does anyone have a copy of DQ8 they'd sell me? I've been to three Gamestops and the local game store and I haven't been able to find it. I'm thinking $10-12 shipped.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You know what's funny about DQ9? A major plot point (established in the start) is that angels can't attack their superiors.

Ok, cool...but, then, who exactly are the 3 other party members, and why are they bound by the same law?

It just occurred to me that Dq9's story, for all intents, is written for just one player. The other 3 party members have zero impact on the story.

It's DQ1 with extra meatshields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's also playable like DQ1. My story run of the game was the hero solo. (I do believe it's impossible in the post-game content though.)