Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Does anyone have a Facebook Like plugin they use that doesn't cause problems? The update to the one I was using is breaking the Facebook Fan Page embed I have. I was using the one called Wordpress Facebook Like Plugin at this site: http://allanjosephbatac.com/Wordpress-Facebook-Like-Plugin/
Most of the ones I've seen have the same or almost identical names so it is hard to tell which one will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I'm a fan of https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/like-for-tags/

Read the description though, it's functionally different from most Like plugins.

What specifically are you trying to do?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I just want a like button that people can click that will share it on Facebook, preferably one that says how many people have liked it. Largely due to that driving traffic better than any other share plugin I've used like Bookmarkify. I don't know why the other one suddenly broke, I gave up on it after spending several hours trying to fix podPress after it broke upon upgrading as well. I've settled for this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/fblikebutton/ as it didn't break anything when I installed it and seems to work for now.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I have asked a similar question here before, but this time it is a little different.

I created and run a blog for a gun company (http://rainierarms.wordpress.com)and it has been pretty successful so the company and I want to take it to the next level by hosting it ourselves.

The owner of the company has set up blog.rainierarms.com and has it forwarding to the wordpress site that I linked above. I want to host the wordpress on its own so I can use plugins and a better theme.

This is all confusing to me, what do we have to do next to host wordpress?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have asked a similar question here before, but this time it is a little different.

I created and run a blog for a gun company (http://rainierarms.wordpress.com)and it has been pretty successful so the company and I want to take it to the next level by hosting it ourselves.

The owner of the company has set up blog.rainierarms.com and has it forwarding to the wordpress site that I linked above. I want to host the wordpress on its own so I can use plugins and a better theme.

This is all confusing to me, what do we have to do next to host wordpress?

Get a hosting account and domain and then export -> import to your new site. Do you already own rainierarms.com or is that a virtual domain?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

Get a hosting account and domain and then export -> import to your new site. Do you already own rainierarms.com or is that a virtual domain?

Yeah, they own Rainierarms.com already.

Do I just do what I did with my old ones basically? Set up a new domain, install wordpress, export --> Import, then pay the $12 a year for forwarding to the new domain?

(Then have blog.rainierarms.com be the cname for whatever new domain I buy?)

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, they own Rainierarms.com already.

Do I just do what I did with my old ones basically? Set up a new domain, install wordpress, export --> Import, then pay the $12 a year for forwarding to the new domain?

(Then have blog.rainierarms.com be the cname for whatever new domain I buy?)

You could do an install of WP on rainierarms.com and have it be located at rainierarms.com/blog, which frankly is both the easiest and least confusing to a customer. Assuming you have access to their CPanel, that would take about 30 seconds.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

You could do an install of WP on rainierarms.com and have it be located at rainierarms.com/blog, which frankly is both the easiest and least confusing to a customer. Assuming you have access to their CPanel, that would take about 30 seconds.

I guess rainierarms.com/blog does make a little more sense. They use 1and1 hosting which I am not familiar with. I don't know if I want to mess with it since they do a huge amount of online sales and I don't want to mess anything up.

Do I still have to buy a new domain for the blog, or no?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I guess rainierarms.com/blog does make a little more sense. They use 1and1 hosting which I am not familiar with. I don't know if I want to mess with it since they do a huge amount of online sales and I don't want to mess anything up.

Do I still have to buy a new domain for the blog, or no?

No, you would just need to install wordpress at whatever directory (e.g. "blog") you wanted it to be. But you would need access to their CPanel/FTP. Doing this, by the way, should have zero impact on the rest of the site.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

No, you would just need to install wordpress at whatever directory (e.g. "blog") you wanted it to be. But you would need access to their CPanel/FTP. Doing this, by the way, should have zero impact on the rest of the site.

Yeah I can get access to that no problem. So I just create a new directory?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah I can get access to that no problem. So I just create a new directory?

CPanel > Fantastico > WordPress > New Installation > Install in directory: ____ (this is where you would type "blog" without quotes of course) > mash the INSTALL WORDPRESS button.

Done.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

CPanel > Fantastico > WordPress > New Installation > Install in directory: ____ (this is where you would type "blog" without quotes of course) > mash the INSTALL WORDPRESS button.

Done.

I am in the cpanel now, and I dont see anything that says Fantastico or wordpress:

Edit:

I found the mysql, which allowed me to create a new database (which I named blog.) I don't know where to go from there, I still don't see anything the says Wordpress.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 16, 2011

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.
Looks like they don't make it easy for you.

Try this. A lot more steps but it should work just fine.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4929191_install-wordpress-servers.html

A search of 1and1 hosting didn't fill me with confidence about their hosting, and they are likely not optimized for WordPress or running a current version of PHP. But what can you do?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

cocteau posted:

Looks like they don't make it easy for you.

Try this. A lot more steps but it should work just fine.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4929191_install-wordpress-servers.html

A search of 1and1 hosting didn't fill me with confidence about their hosting, and they are likely not optimized for WordPress or running a current version of PHP. But what can you do?

Argh. This is too confusing for me. I am scared I am going to gently caress something up. I will have to get someone else to do this I guess.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I loving hate "easy" hosting. 1and1, fatcow, etc...just give me a raw cpanel, add your host-specific stuff and the get the gently caress out of the way. It's one of the reasons I've moved a lot of clients over to HostGator.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

mcsuede posted:

I loving hate "easy" hosting. 1and1, fatcow, etc...just give me a raw cpanel, add your host-specific stuff and the get the gently caress out of the way. It's one of the reasons I've moved a lot of clients over to HostGator.

Amen. I just moved over to HostGator a week ago. They even moved my sites for me. Took a little effort to get everything lined up but I'm a happy camper.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I've used Dreamhost for a number of years, and quite like it.

cpanel gives me the absolute shits, and can die in a hole.

This opinion is probably spawned by years working for a hosting company, and learning how to do things manually. I like that Dreamhost lets me ssh into the server, unlike many of the cpanel hosts out there.

I should probably get my own VPS and be done with it. Oh well.

Oh, and GoDaddy is a horrible clusterfuck.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
My suggestion these days is AWS.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, Dreamhost is the loving poo poo. I use Hostgator and Godaddy at work, the latter of which sucks so hard, but Dreamhost is still the best in my opinion.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Maybe you guys can save me. I'm not paid to be a web designer, I'm paid to implement my boss' nonsensical ideas as a marketing person.

How do I implement dropdown menus in a wordpress theme and get a two-column setup going on the header, with a rotating slideshow on the left and a set of four/five dropdown menus for different types of insurance? Mucho help would be super appreciated.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
there's a JS/CSS dropdown plugin that I used recently... I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

Argh. This is too confusing for me. I am scared I am going to gently caress something up. I will have to get someone else to do this I guess.

We use 1and1, setting up WP is pretty trivial (you've already done the complex bit by setting up a DB).

What you do now is; go to the wordpress website, download the current version, in a zip.

Unzip on your computer.

FTP into your 1and1 account, go to your blog folder, copy up the content of that zip.

open your web browser, go to https://www.example.com/blog

WP will ask if it should create a config file - say yes

WP will ask for the DB connection details you should have kept a note of when you setup the DB - give it them.

WP will ask you for an admin password - pick one.

WP will log you into your new WP install - you done!

It /that/ is too complex - runnning a self-hosted WP install is not for you, go back to wp.com

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got someone who wants to replace her current (html) site with a wordpress site. Obviously you want to do this with as little downtime as possible, so should she (I say "she" but I'm sure I'm the one who'll end up doing the work) install wordpress in some random folder (site.com/testsite), get all the pages (contact, about us, etc) working, then just go into the WP prefs and change what directory everything points to (from site.com/testsite to site.com/)? Is that how it's usually done?

Or should I build the site at /testsite, export it, then build a new WP install at the root level and import my testsite into that?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Is there a way to organize the media library?
By now my website has a lot of images, so every time I check the media library, in case I want to use a picture I've used before, I have to go through a lot of them before I can actually find it.

Addressing the previous poster that asked about facebook compatibility:
1. Facebook Like & Send Button http://pleer.co.uk/wordpress/plugins/facebook-like-send-button/
2. Facebook Comments: http://pleer.co.uk/wordpress/plugins/facebook-comments/

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I'm looking for recommendations on something like an event manager than can do registrations with paypal. I've come upon something called Event Espresso, which seems okay, but was hoping to find a free alternative.

I've never done something in this realm before so any help would be great.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm looking for CMS wordpress themes but I'm not having much luck finding anything decent. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

poxin posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on something like an event manager than can do registrations with paypal. I've come upon something called Event Espresso, which seems okay, but was hoping to find a free alternative.

I've never done something in this realm before so any help would be great.

You could use Eventbrite.

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm looking for CMS wordpress themes but I'm not having much luck finding anything decent. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What specifically do you need your site to do? How complex? Out of the box WP is a lightweight CMS and there are plugins and themes that can add varying levels of complexity.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to designate which "pages" that new posts will show up on? I've currently got a site set so that "New post" results in an entry showing up on the main page, but I'd like to switch it so they default to the "News" page.

I've looked at the WP dashboard page settings in 'Settings/Reading' but that only seems to let me display one of the sub-pages as the main page, which isn't what I want.

Any tips?

E: For a second question, how do you set up the permalinks to show realword URLs? (i.e. https://www.site.com/contact, https://www.site.com/news etc.) I thought I had it set correctly when I chose "Custom Structure" and then just left the box blank but for a forward slash, that worked for my main pages and through the navigation, but then all posts would link to the home page.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 20, 2011

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Is it possible to designate which "pages" that new posts will show up on? I've currently got a site set so that "New post" results in an entry showing up on the main page, but I'd like to switch it so they default to the "News" page.

I've looked at the WP dashboard page settings in 'Settings/Reading' but that only seems to let me display one of the sub-pages as the main page, which isn't what I want.

Any tips?

E: For a second question, how do you set up the permalinks to show realword URLs? (i.e. https://www.site.com/contact, https://www.site.com/news etc.) I thought I had it set correctly when I chose "Custom Structure" and then just left the box blank but for a forward slash, that worked for my main pages and through the navigation, but then all posts would link to the home page.

Some of this will vary depending on the theme you're using, but typically, you can go into Settings > Reading and chose Front Page displays static page. Then designate your home page (or whatever) as your front page, and your News page as your blog posts page.

Then under Settings > Permalinks, try the custom structure /%year%/%postname%/

Technically you don't need year, but it's recommended. See http://ottopress.com/2010/category-in-permalinks-considered-harmful/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Brilliant, thanks much! I was having a hard time figuring the permalink one out, for some reason.

Also thanks for that article, helps explain how it's all set up a bit better than what I'd found elsewhere. (I'm using a modified version of the "Arras" theme, which is pretty solid as a default but I've had to make some customized css/php changes for this site's setup.)

I ended up restructuring how my setup was built (to use the static page method you mentioned) and that sorted out my issue, just required a little more work from me that I had hoped to be able to fix with a quick hack/code change.

I also discovered a pretty useful plugin called "Inline Posts" by Aral Balkan that allows users to inject a post into any page by using a double bracket and the post ID in the body of the page (for instance: [[45]] ) -- of course my custom permalink structure makes it harder to find the post ID # now -- any tips on easing that/determining post IDs once they've got real word URLs?

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 20, 2011

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

If you hover over edit in the backend you can see the post id numbers

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there anyway to package plugins (not mine) with a theme? So when the theme is installed, all the required plugins are installed with it?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Anyone know of a way to apply effects (like sepia etc) to images that are uploaded? been searching plugins, but the only one I found for applying effects was a seperate image store, which'd be a hassle for uploading when writing posts.

I kind of thought maybe one that saved an effected image when one is uploaded, like images of different sizes are.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

jackpot posted:

I've got someone who wants to replace her current (html) site with a wordpress site. Obviously you want to do this with as little downtime as possible, so should she (I say "she" but I'm sure I'm the one who'll end up doing the work) install wordpress in some random folder (site.com/testsite), get all the pages (contact, about us, etc) working, then just go into the WP prefs and change what directory everything points to (from site.com/testsite to site.com/)? Is that how it's usually done?

Or should I build the site at /testsite, export it, then build a new WP install at the root level and import my testsite into that?

I used to do the export thing, building offsite but it's a bitch so now I build live in a subdirectory and just repoint at the end. Plus you should always install Wordpress in a subdirectory anyway as exploit spiders look for site.com/wp/wp-login.php not site.com/randomname/wp-login.php

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
So I'm using a GET query to check the URL for a certain component. If this component is present, the page loads a different header and pulls a different stylesheet. This allows me to completely change the layout of a page, based on which (if any) of these 'theme' elements is provided.

Now, this works fine given a manually created URL - I can just add ?theme=whatever at the end - but I'm wondering if there's a way for me to force WP to add this extension to any internal links that are present on the page?

Basically if a user arrives via a certain theme URL I want them to stay within that theme for their entire session. Is this at all possible for WP generated internal links?

Gasmask fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 22, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How can I assign a random image as the featured image? I don't need it in the post, the theme handles that for me automatically.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

cocteau posted:

What specifically do you need your site to do? How complex? Out of the box WP is a lightweight CMS and there are plugins and themes that can add varying levels of complexity.

I'm wanting to make a niche site that earns money from the Amazon affiliate program. It will be a review site but the basic idea is to lead people to Amazon and get them to purchase the product.

I want to divide the products into two main sections—brands and categories. For example,

Brands:
Widget Brand A
Widget Brand B
Widget Brand C
Etc.

Categories:
Big widgets
Small widgets
Blue widgets
Red widgets
rear end widgets
Etc.

I don't want want the site to look like a blog, so no dates/time stamps. I also want everything to be clearly laid out and organized.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm wanting to make a niche site that earns money from the Amazon affiliate program. It will be a review site but the basic idea is to lead people to Amazon and get them to purchase the product.

I want to divide the products into two main sections—brands and categories. For example,

Brands:
Widget Brand A
Widget Brand B
Widget Brand C
Etc.

Categories:
Big widgets
Small widgets
Blue widgets
Red widgets
rear end widgets
Etc.

I don't want want the site to look like a blog, so no dates/time stamps. I also want everything to be clearly laid out and organized.

You can do that with a thousand different themes... nothing you're describing so far is outside of the basic WP functionality. Many themes are not based around a blog layout, so that shouldn't be an issue. You might look at some of the major premium theme/framework companies (studio press, woo themes, gorilla themes, graph paper press, or even thesis, among others) to see if you can find anything that meets your needs. I also sometimes find something new at http://themefinder.wpcandy.com/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gasmask posted:

So I'm using a GET query to check the URL for a certain component. If this component is present, the page loads a different header and pulls a different stylesheet. This allows me to completely change the layout of a page, based on which (if any) of these 'theme' elements is provided.

Now, this works fine given a manually created URL - I can just add ?theme=whatever at the end - but I'm wondering if there's a way for me to force WP to add this extension to any internal links that are present on the page?

Basically if a user arrives via a certain theme URL I want them to stay within that theme for their entire session. Is this at all possible for WP generated internal links?

WordPress doesn't use sessions but you could probably set a cookie and then check if it exists and apply a filter to the_permalink. The other possibility is to use the cookie to add a class to the body and then use jQuery to check if that class exists on the body and then have it modify any links by adding your value to the end of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Ok I'm at a brick wall. What the client wants is to have users fill out a survey, have that filled out info go into a PDF and have that PDF emailed to them.

Now I'm using http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-surveys/ for the survey part, because they want to be able to modify the questions down the road and such.

For emailing I'm using http://www.texelate.co.uk/blog/send-email-attachment-with-php/

I've setup the an ajax function for the on submit of the survey to encapsulate the data. But I don't see any wp plugins for pdf generation. I was directed to http://www.tcpdf.org/ but I needs me to use require() to be able to use it. Doing that in functions.php causes errors.

Any advice?