Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

What in the gently caress is this cheerleading piece of poo poo?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/columns/story?columnist=edes_gordon&id=6567995

Being a Red Sox fan admittedly means being absorbed with our own issues, which these days tend to revolve around whether John Lackey is a complete bust, a basket case or a guy who has been pitching with a bad elbow, or whether Carl Crawford's contract contains a clause allowing him to take the first year off while reading the complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson.

what in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If a baseball player said they were taking the year off to read poetry, they would immediately become my favorite baseball player for all time.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

If a baseball player said they were taking the year off to read poetry, they would immediately become my favorite baseball player for all time.

RA DIckey reads poetry and play baseball. :3:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mornacale posted:

This is why I forever love Ricky Williams.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Orgophlax posted:

Something about this article from Tim Panaccio on csnphilly.com really irks me. I think only one line will sum it up.
First, it's not even a Flyers source indicating they are interested in him, it's someone involved somehow with the league simply saying "Yeah, he'd be good in Philly". That deserves an entire article? If he were giving his own opinion that's one thing, but it's some random "source" that for some reason wants to remain anonymous about giving his opinion.

I just always assume that whenever there is a "league official" or "someone close to the team" or a "player who wishes to remain anonymous" or anything like that, the reporter just made it up, a la The Wire.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mornacale posted:

You might be interested in this. It's a book of poems by a baseball player (Dan Quisenberry if you don't want to click the link). I've heard that it's good, but I'm not much of a poetry connoisseur so I have no idea.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
we haven't checked in on our buddy Stiegz in a little while. Maybe he's learned from his recent experiences and will have some sagacious words for those similarly situated!

quote:

LET HIM UP

Rashard Mendenhall has not been accused of a crime. He posted some really stupid things on his Twitter page and has spent the last few days in internt hell.

He’s also provided a lot of content for talk show hosts and bloggers –including me.

But it’s time to let him up.

He didn’t beat up his wife, girlfriend or baby mama.

The Steelers don’t need to release him and you shouldn’t feel obligated to boo him.

The people in the media, who like to tell you how offensive Rashard’s comments were, need to stop repeating those comments and increasing the number of people who are offended.

Of course, they’re not worried at all about a 9/11 vicitm’s family member being offended or they wouldn’t be repeating what Mendenhall said every five minutes.

This has provided lots of fodder for radio hosts and bloggers and they are all a lot less interested in protecting people from being offended than they are in getting listeners and clicks.

If Mendenhall’s comments had not been picked up and spread by the media, only his Twitter followers would have been in danger of being offended.
What are we going to do with you Stiegz, you silly goose

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Well, remember--no one would have been offended by his garbage about the Giants fan who got severely beaten if it wasn't linked all over the Internet. We should have been more considerate of that guy's family and not discussed a writer saying he deserved it because he wore a rival team's jersey.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That is like the least wrong thing Stieg has ever written. I even . . . a- agree with it?

edit: although he did use "baby mama" so he still loving sucks

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
It's kind of logically upside-down and glazes over the notion that Mendenhall is a public figure. Not really the point though, Stiegerwald owns if only because he clearly just doesn't give a gently caress and doesn't have any sort of internal logical compass. It has not stopped him or even given him any pause

edit: whoops, accidentally posted prematurely via Awful App, let me fix this post up real nice

swizz fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2011

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Are we allowed to post our own bad sports writing? Because I did a thing. It's a poem.

https://tinyurl.com/3q2vraj

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

Are we allowed to post our own bad sports writing? Because I did a thing. It's a poem.

Death to rhyming poetry.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

swizz posted:

via Awful App,

what is this and is there an Android version

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Mornacale posted:

Death to rhyming poetry.

No.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

Yes.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ferg.awful&feature=search_result

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

'

It's pretty much what you'd expect, albeit slightly bare bones, and there's definitely an Android version. That's what I'm using.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Bob Shabazz posted:

No.

Traditional form is dead, free verse forever. Rhymeschemers :getout:

:colbert:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Traditional form is dead, free verse forever. Rhymeschemers :getout:

:colbert:

Sorry that you hate nice things. :mad:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
420 unhindered representation of the thingitself erryday

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Why don't you go write a technical manual about it, nerd

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

swizz posted:

It's pretty much what you'd expect, albeit slightly bare bones, and there's definitely an Android version. That's what I'm using.

Thanks guys

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Too many modern players. Give the old timers some love :colbert:

L is for Lajoie

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Too many modern players. Give the old timers some love :colbert:

L is for Lajoie

L is for Lofton
Thief extraordinaire
Ask where he's played
He'll say "everywhere"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Why don't you go write a technical manual about it, nerd

It's too late, it's already been done; anyone who is interested in poetry, DO READ THIS BOOK. (Not that I endorse all of WCW's opinions, but I think he offers a perspective that still manages to be revolutionary, as far as mainstream attitudes toward poetry go.)

Seriouspost, though: poetry owns, write poetry every day even if it's gotta rhyme, whatever, always write poetry.

(All rhyme but slant rhyme is impure and will burn.)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Stiegz posted:

He didn’t beat up his wife, girlfriend or baby mama.

Cuz you know, those black players have a lot of baby mamas.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Utley's back, but the Phillies have actually done better without him

quote:

Utley brings intangibles to this team that can't be replaced.

Some would argue that his presence on the field can't be replaced either.

Not so, according to the numbers.

Consider this: The Phillies have a better regular-season winning percentage when Utley isn't in the starting lineup.

That's right. From 2007 to 2011, the Phillies have a .591 winning percentage without Utley.

In games in which Utley has started from 2007 to 2011, the Phillies have a .574 winning percentage.

Is he a better hitter than Wilson Valdez, who fills in for him the majority of the time? Absolutely.

But Utley hasn't hit .300 since 2007 when his batting average was .332. And his fielding percentages at second base don't compare to Valdez's.

Valdez's fielding percentage was .993 this season, fourth-best in the league. Last season, it was .993 as well. Utley, though, has never had a fielding percentage better than .985 (in 2007) since becoming the club's everyday second baseman.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
What

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This article is incredible.

quote:

When Utley came back from his wrist injury in 2007, he hit 14 points lower than he did before getting hurt. Then last season after having thumb surgery, his batting average was four points lower in his last 43 games than his first 72 games.

unhwillneverwin
Oct 16, 2010

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery!
I can't read Peter King columns anymore thanks to his "look what I can do working for NBC" angle in every one of his nuggets, but his latest work might be the worst in kowtowing to Dick Ebersol. Fortunatly Big Daddy Drew destroyed it like always.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/05/peter-king-and-dick-ebersol-are-breakfast-barons.html

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Actually on further consideration I'm fairly convinced that Mandy Housenick does not actually exist and is just one of you trolling me

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn They do. I spent over an hour figuring out the math. The numbers don't lie. Sorry, but it's true.Read the story. You'll see

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn I'm not saying that. It was just a stat to support my belief, and Ruben's, that he won't be the savior (Ruben's words).

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn It wouldn't matter to you, or most people, what the numbers say. You all think Utley is the end-all, be-all. You're entitled!

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn I just gave the numbers. Usually, you guys love numbers. But when they don't support your beliefs, then you don't like them :)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

Actually on further consideration I'm fairly convinced that Mandy Housenick does not actually exist and is just one of you trolling me

This is the best part

DashTreyhorn
Stupid conservative America, that's why! RT @zoowithroy: Yo @dashtreyhorn if Utley is so great why don't you marry him you big gooberface

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Over an hour calculating fips?? Amateur

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Oh it's Housenick.

She's the one who wrote the stupid article about how Jayson Werth is too surly and should immediately be traded last year. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure she's just an amalgam of all the faux-trolling twitter accounts made real.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

http://blogs.mcall.com/phillies/2011/05/utley-were-you-listening.html

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2011

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Mother of God, he didn't tip his cap?! How shameful, we must remove this classless bum from the roster immediately!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Holy crap, that's where she is? I used to work with her in Wilkes-Barre, she didn't have many fans in the office there.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

This is one of Mandy's blog posts on Jayson Werth last year

quote:

Many of you just aren't getting it.

I'm by no means saying the Phillies should trade Werth because of how he treats the media. I'm saying that his problems go way beyond the way he is with us. He said the F-word to that fan the other day, he hardly looks like he cares out on the field and believe me, many other things go on, that as reporters, we can't talk about.

Werth's play isn't up to par, at bat or in the field. And, his body language reads like he wants to be anywhere but Philadelphia.

Jimmy Rollins (and many others) would never say the F-word to a fan. He knows better than that.

The Phillies always talk about good clubhouse chemistry and respect and playing hard. They get those things from guys such as Ryan Howard, Brad Lidge, Chad Durbin, Shane Victorino, Jimmy Rollins, Raul Ibanez, Chooch, etc. Their attitude with each other, with the fans and with us all factors into the success of the team. They treat each other with respect and us and their fans. The same can't be said for Werth.

Many Phillies fans loved Aaron Rowand because he played so hard and treated fans, his teammates and the media like he'd treat his brother or father or sister. He was a great guy and it was impossible not to respect his tireless work ethic.

Note that on the day she wrote this, Jayson Werth was hitting .283/.373/.505

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Guys, I can't tell you about it, but hes really terrible. Just trust me, I'm a Journalist.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

stuart scott irl posted:

This is one of Mandy's blog posts on Jayson Werth last year

Note that on the day she wrote this, Jayson Werth was hitting .283/.373/.505

Believe me, many things go on that as a journalist I can't talk about. For example, I can't mention the time he took batting practice by ripping the heads off kittens and hitting them into the upper deck. I especially can't make light of the numerous occasions on which I witnessed Jayson Werth savagely sodomizing poor Kyle Kendrick with a fungo bat, and under no circumstances could I mention the time I tried to ask Jayson about his lack of clutchness and bad attitude for another lovely smear piece only to be rebuffed and told I was a third-rate journo who was lucky to have a job at some Lehigh County fish wrapper.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

My aunt works at the Morning Call. Wonder if she knows Mandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The "if you knew what I knew wink wink " stories about Jayson Werth cannot possibly be as bad as the ones about Pat "Vintage" Burrell.