Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I looked through the last several pages and did not find this posted, so sorry if it has already been mentioned.

New Avicii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtEamgjkIts

Something about this song just puts a huge smile on my face

"best world dj"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009

saberwulf posted:

My words exactly. SWB you should shower your friend in praise, that beat is amazing and I absolutely adore that video, it's a better electronic video than Baby I'm Your's which I think is quite the challenge.

The track is already showing up on a few other non music related sites so clearly the video is managing to further spread the band's reputation, but thanks, will let them know it's loved here as well

^^^That avicii track is pretty sweet but wish that voice wasn't there

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ras Het posted:

It looks like two thirds of Essential Mixes nowadays are by flavour-of-the-day bloghouse cunts. There were like three techno mixes in all of 2010 :(

Who the gently caress even still listens to bloghouse?

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
https://8bc.org/music/Dr.+Szliszka/Androids:+Battle+Mode/

I dont know what to call this other than electro 8-bit, but it's definitely a great find in my opinion. Any related suggestions? I've already skimmed along the lines of anamanaguchi and electronicMESS, but I dont know what else might be more in line with this track.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

^^^^^^^^
you should check out the 'chiptunes' genre. plenty of it on youtube.

Sir Winston Beehill posted:

The track is already showing up on a few other non music related sites so clearly the video is managing to further spread the band's reputation, but thanks, will let them know it's loved here as well

^^^That avicii track is pretty sweet but wish that voice wasn't there

wasn't this track released in 2010 on their album 'Get Busy Living'? me and a mate absolutely adore everything Goldfish has released so far, everybody should check them out. :)

Cynicus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 25, 2011

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

Who the gently caress even still listens to bloghouse?

Forgive me for asking but what exactly is bloghouse?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

The Fresh Prince posted:

Saw this as mockumentary, made more sense then

Thats because it is.
It amazes me how many people think that someone can be that succesful and not know exactly what they're doing.
I hate their music, but poo poo like this is why they won the best essential mix. It came out just at the end of 2010, intentional or not. Probably helped raise their fee from their new year quite a bit too.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 25, 2011

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

IIRC, bunch of DJs that got big in the blog scene, making electro/house mixes and throwing parties and whatnot. I remember listening to La Greve Generale, Richie Panic, CASIO, Treasure Fingers, etc back like, 2-3 years ago I wanna say. There were some fun mash ups and good beats in there, and they still work really well to get people dancing at a house party, but the genre itself sucks balls outside of that.
edit: I'm most likely wrong, but thats what I remember. I stopped giving a crap about it a while ago, and apparently it kept going or some crap.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

88h88 posted:

A derogatory term for electro house.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009

Cynicus posted:

wasn't this track released in 2010 on their album 'Get Busy Living'? me and a mate absolutely adore everything Goldfish has released so far, everybody should check them out. :)

Indeed, but the video was released a few days ago, and thought this is definitely worth showing to other people.

Another track by them from the aformentioned album
http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldfishlive#p/u/4/Cjwoit91SxU

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
NEW EDC TRAILER TO LAUGH AT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDd-V4zxI4

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

I'm completely new to electronica/synth or whatever, but I'm looking for starting point to get into this stuff. I don't really enjoy techno, or your standard 4/4 beat repeated constantly with a really simple melody played in front of it, with a DJ doing some EQ mixing. I kind of want something that is really heavily melody driven, a whole lot of arpeggios with classical influence and whatnot.

I've always heard cool electronica songs in soundtracks, but never really knew any artists or genres that sounded like something I would like. A good example are these 2 portal 2 song's that I thought were pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sER1rSv5bd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcM3YfIYI0&playnext=1&list=PLFAF3996D5291A56C

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Furnace posted:

Still no lineup but hey who needs em right?

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie

Saucepan Man posted:

I'm completely new to electronica/synth or whatever, but I'm looking for starting point to get into this stuff. I don't really enjoy techno, or your standard 4/4 beat repeated constantly with a really simple melody played in front of it, with a DJ doing some EQ mixing. I kind of want something that is really heavily melody driven, a whole lot of arpeggios with classical influence and whatnot.

Justice initially got me interested in house; I would personally describe them as orchestral disco:

Phantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWuWfxMXA0
DVNO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWnLxYzuBE

Their new stuff draws heavily from 80s glam metal, which sounds a lot worse than it acutally is:

Civilization
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0jVkFs3C4

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I haven't seen him mentioned recently but what does everyone think of Mord Fustang? I have just recently been getting into some electro stuff, and a friend recommended him to me. I found that I really enjoy his style and the melody that he has in his songs. Lick the Rainbow and Electric Dream are probably my favorite tracks so far.

Here is his soundcloud for you to browse:

http://soundcloud.com/mordfustang

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

88h88 posted:

I've always considered it as general term of reference for all that online music that never makes it into the mainstream.

Perhaps it does/did have a more specific meaning.

And I still listen to bloghouse.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

QCIC posted:

Justice initially got me interested in house; I would personally describe them as orchestral disco:

Phantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWuWfxMXA0
DVNO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nWnLxYzuBE

Their new stuff draws heavily from 80s glam metal, which sounds a lot worse than it acutally is:

Civilization
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0jVkFs3C4

Um isn't he basically describing Trance? Not Electro-house...

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Saucepan Man posted:

I kind of want something that is really heavily melody driven, a whole lot of arpeggios with classical influence and whatnot.

Danger is very melody & harmony driven, while still having great beats, and has a huge hardon for arpeggios.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-iawLvNr4

https://www.myspace.com/2emedanger

http://www.facebook.com/2emeDanger

EDIT: And Justice too. But like that other guy said, you could just as easily be describing trance, which is totally different.

Hammsturabi fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 26, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

QCIC posted:

What the hell did I just read? Are you actually insane?

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
Saucepan Man, from what I heard from those Portal 2 tracks, you'd be interested in probably acid techno and chiptune-influence house/electro.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

infinity2005 posted:

Um isn't he basically describing Trance? Not Electro-house...
I don't think he's looking for trance since the 2 example videos were from Portal 2, which has an electro based soundtrack.

So I would definitely agree with Justice and Danger. Only thing else I would add would be Vitalic too.

Ras Het posted:

What the hell did I just read? Are you actually insane?
He's referring to what Xavier de Rosnay once said:

quote:

We stuck to our original idea to make a 2007 opera-disco album, even if we are conscious that some tracks don't sound like proper disco at first listen. The best example is the song “Waters of Nazareth,” which does not sound like disco when you listen to it for the first time. But if you forget that everything is distorted, the bass lines are just really basic disco patterns.[
But what he said about Justice getting him interested into house... well yeah Justice isn't house so I don't know what he's talking about there. Maybe he meant electro-house got him into house.

And this maybe the time to ask, but I really think the OP should be updated to have a list of the most popular artists for suggestions. Because I found out about Boys Noize, Danger and other good artists randomly, when everyone else already knows about them already. Like a master list of sorts.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 26, 2011

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Vernacular posted:

Still no lineup but hey who needs em right?

People don't go to EDC for the music they go for the experience of going to a massive with crazy lights and costumes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it and if it weren't for the horror stories of people overdosing / getting trampled / everyone being 13 I'd be so into it.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Furnace posted:

this event is such a laughable piece of poo poo.

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jvempire posted:

But what he said about Justice getting him interested into house... well yeah Justice isn't house so I don't know what he's talking about there. Maybe he meant electro-house got him into house.

How the gently caress is Justice not house?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

I did say electrohouse, but just house would be a bit of a stretch I would say.

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

I was under the impression that electro house is a kind of house. :psyduck:
Oh that's what you meant, then yes electrohouse is part house. All I meant before when I was talking about QCIC was that Justice isn't just house, but has an electro part to it as well.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 26, 2011

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Longtiem posted:

People don't go to EDC for the music they go for the experience of going to a massive with crazy lights and costumes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it and if it weren't for the horror stories of people overdosing / getting trampled / everyone being 13 I'd be so into it.

Which is fun for a couple years, but then you grow out of it and see it for the mediocre music festival that it is.

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jvempire posted:

I did say electrohouse, but just house would be a bit of a stretch I would say.

I was under the impression that electro house is a kind of house. :psyduck:

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jvempire posted:

Oh that's what you meant, then yes electrohouse is part house. All I meant before when I was talking about QCIC was that Justice isn't just house, but has an electro part to it as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'electro part' but the genre 'electro' as I understand it has practically nothing to do with electro house. Electro house is very much within the house continuum, it's not some kind of hybrid genre that exists half outside of it.

ANTIMISANDRIST fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 26, 2011

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'electro part' but the genre 'electro' as I understand it has practically nothing to do with electro house. Electro house is very much within the house continuum, it's not some kind of hybrid genre that exists half outside of it.

Electro, as far as I understand, has taken on a different modern meaning than the examples you posted. I know a few DJs around here who still do some very old school electro stuff, specifically DJ Seoul, but when you say electro these days, most people aren't referring to this stuff from what I gather. I think a few pages ago, there was a discussion regarding a few different modern "electro" acts, which are wayyyyy different than this stuff.

Not to mention trying to categorize music is just going to confuse the gently caress out of people. Everyone has a different idea of what exactly everything is... most of my knowledge comes from being an avid electronic music fan, and my understanding of electro house comes from when I originally got into it about 4-5 years ago.

bagmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 26, 2011

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

bagmonkey posted:

Electro, as far as I understand, has taken on a different modern meaning than the examples you posted. I know a few DJs around here who still do some very old school electro stuff, specifically DJ Seoul, but when you say electro these days, most people aren't referring to this stuff from what I gather. I think a few pages ago, there was a discussion regarding a few different modern "electro" acts, which are wayyyyy different than this stuff.

Well the only "modern meaning" of the term "electro" that I'm aware of is as an abbreviation for "electro house", and it would be pretty tautological if the guy meant that when he referred to the "electro element" within... electro house.

I wouldn't say it's "taken on a different modern meaning" though, it's just now commonly (obnoxiously) used as an abbreviation of "electro house" in addition to the classical usage as an abbreviation of "electrofunk". It's not like nobody makes music that falls under the latter category any more. I assume that wasn't the stuff he was referring to though, I just have no idea what "electro" is if it's not electro house or electrofunk.

ANTIMISANDRIST fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 26, 2011

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
People can hate on justice + bloghouse (god knows I do) but it really raised the profile of EDM in north america, which rules even if the downside is a million skrillexes and deadmauses and blogbros.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
I don't understand why people feel the need to be such elitist fucks all the time. Electro house has it's merit, it's introduced North America to EDM, like Volvagia said. Yeah, some acts are overhyped and beaten to death (Deadmau5, etc), but they're not TERRIBLE.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That's not really pertinent to ANTIMISANDRIST's point, though.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but they definitely aren't typical of the genre unless you have a very short-sighted idea of what it is, so it's not that surprising that someone might think they are not house. Save your outrage for when someone says Masters at Work aren't house or something.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Volvagia posted:

People can hate on justice + bloghouse (god knows I do) but it really raised the profile of EDM in north america

Why would I care about that? It's bad music, and as far as I'm concerned the whole niche's impact on music has been net negative by a huge margin.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA
Peter and The Magician Twist EP minimix: http://soundcloud.com/themagician/peter-the-magician-ep-minimix

Osh
Jan 5, 2007
Say, Halo my Quake 3 in Bungie for Half-Life 2!

MrSargent posted:

I haven't seen him mentioned recently but what does everyone think of Mord Fustang?

He's pretty dope, and it's cool to see him become so successful so quickly. I love Lick The Rainbow. I'm not a fan of his minute-and-a-half long spacey interludes with no beat, but I dig the groovy, chopped-up bass and basically all of his "complextro" elements.

P.S. Can anyone give me some feedback on this song I made? The DJ-music production thread seems to have completely ignored it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Ras Het posted:

Why would I care about that? It's bad music, and as far as I'm concerned the whole niche's impact on music has been net negative by a huge margin.

justice owns DANCE

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Because its really important to the state of EDM in America? Who gives a poo poo if the music isn't that great, no one is forcing you to see Justice or Deadmaufive. So just don't go and instead be happy that EDM is actually becoming more accepted in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I'm just happy tours I actually wanna see come around pretty regularly now, which I don't think would have happened without the blogsplosion. bashmore next week yaaa.