Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennington
Nov 8, 2010

I deduce that this caterpillar is indeed very hungry.

Karmine posted:

Probably my two favorite things in the world are comedy and wrestling. Can someone point me in the direction of some of the funniest matches in wrestling history?

e: and I don't mean in a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. I mean straight up comedy wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhBy-NTGGo

Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega, from PWG 100. Not the full match.
The complete match proves that Bryan Danielson is the best in the world at many things, like thumb wrestling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWb5nXq8KgA

Giant Tiger vs. Beef Wellington is pretty great.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sugar Blaster posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWb5nXq8KgA

Giant Tiger vs. Beef Wellington is pretty great.

Seconding this because Giant Tiger will gently caress my father if I don't.

The tastefulness is questionable because RG is always questionable, but if you like Tajiri and/or Muta, there's always this gem from Hustle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsvcuow-Hw

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQMfwAKl1Zw

The other 4 parts are linked. The 2009 Campground match was better but I havent been able to find it yet :shobon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf-EGlM81qA
Again the other parts are in the sidebar. Funny triple threat match complete with Jun Kasai doing anime girl poses and GENTARO being a massive dick.

Lloyd Van Buren fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 25, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Karmine posted:

Probably my two favorite things in the world are comedy and wrestling. Can someone point me in the direction of some of the funniest matches in wrestling history?

e: and I don't mean in a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. I mean straight up comedy wrestling.

Kaiju Big Battel if you can find it.

Chikara iwth a Godzilla bent, right down to the cardboard city in the ring. One of the Chikara guys actually did commentary for KBB.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dickeye posted:

Kaiju Big Battel if you can find it.

Chikara iwth a Godzilla bent, right down to the cardboard city in the ring. One of the Chikara guys actually did commentary for KBB.

KBB also shares Gavin Loudspeaker, ring announcer extraordinare, with Chikara. They had a team at the 2008 KoT. They match wasn't that funny, but the pre match promo and finish were both great.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

KBB also shares Gavin Loudspeaker, ring announcer extraordinare, with Chikara. They had a team at the 2008 KoT. They match wasn't that funny, but the pre match promo and finish were both great.

The bit with Ultramantis and Dr. Cube has got to be one of my favorite moments ever.

"Citizens of Chikara!"

EDIT: Videofication: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lix8cEh8yt0

ReebTop fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 25, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Akira Taue. He's so awesome.

Here is a tag match with him and the Kings. I really love this match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM5jwXSOVBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDDIaqCSonM

There is a more recent one I'll have to dig out where Taue grabs some dude's penis all match. It's great.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Karmine posted:

I shill this match a lot recently, but I think it really stands up (and shows where Cabana's love of British wrestling influences his matches)

Les Kellet vs Leon (Brian Glover) Arras (1974)

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zPH3u65H8
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQVNxKF940
Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMh--WcGhiU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Those all make sense but Ron Simmons is important simply because he was the first Black World Champion.

See, I actually feel that the honor is more dubious and does him a disservice, He's more known for being half of a tag team and having a catch phrase.

Quick, without looking it up what can you actually TELL me about his run? Who did he beat to get that honor? Who did he defend it against and then lose the title to? How long was his reign and what was his most memorable feud?

Can't recall those details can you? :drat:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dead Snoopy posted:

See, I actually feel that the honor is more dubious and does him a disservice, He's more known for being half of a tag team and having a catch phrase.

Quick, without looking it up what can you actually TELL me about his run? Who did he beat to get that honor? Who did he defend it against and then lose the title to? How long was his reign and what was his most memorable feud?

Didn't he fight Vader that one time?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Karmine posted:

You're in for a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifIMkVkbCT0

This is the end of the greatest battle royal ever, from Minoru Suzuki's 40th birthday celebration. Trust me, you don't need to speak Japanese to get what's going on.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

He won the title from Vader and lost it back to him like six months later, but spent most of the reign feuding with Foley (a feud that was going on before he won the belt). What do I win?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Why don't Indy feds use floor mats? I can't imagine taking a bump to the outside onto a hard basketball court feeling good.
Every time someone in CHIKARA takes a dive to the floor, I wince. They usually have no padding at all, and there's almost always around eight or more dives per night.

Quack mentioned getting badly hurt while diving to the outside mid-last year, but he never mentioned why they don't bother to use pads. I do remember listening to the R&F of WCW and the reason they took away mats is because it looked "Unrealistic"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Flameingblack posted:

Every time someone in CHIKARA takes a dive to the floor, I wince. They usually have no padding at all, and there's almost always around eight or more dives per night.

Quack mentioned getting badly hurt while diving to the outside mid-last year, but he never mentioned why they don't bother to use pads. I do remember listening to the R&F of WCW and the reason they took away mats is because it looked "Unrealistic"

to be more fair to WCw than they perhaps deserve, this was during the reign of Bill Watts, and iirc he combined this with a ban on top rope moves or throwing people to the outside. The ban on the mats was I think more about discouraging people from doing moves to the outside than anything else.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Karmine posted:

CM Punk vs Delirious.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Karmine posted:

KANA vs Kikutaro - Kikutaro is a masked comedy wrestler from Japan. He tries to grope KANA the entire match. Kana corpses. A lot. Kana. He tries to grope Kana.

Sanshiro Takagi vs Great Sasuke (DDT PRO) - Weapon's Battle Royal. Every minute, a new weapon is brought out. Ranging from chairs, to a chick with a whip, the wrestler's wives, a barrel. Great Sasuke does not disappoint, the dude is out of his loving mind.

The F1rst Family vs F.I.S.T. (CHIKARA, King of Trios 2009) - Bryce Remsburg is a boss.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

George Kaplan posted:

CM Punk vs Delirious.

Almost anything with Delirious is comedy gold.

Princess Peach is a tramp! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVa49EwJj0w
delirious and Punk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x50VT5xxY9Q&feature=related

Bonus: Delirious is a God damned superhero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH5q7BV76Eo&feature=related

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

George Kaplan posted:

CM Punk vs Delirious.

All three matches. I've never seen a comedy match build off of the psychology of a previous comedy match, but somehow Punk and Delirious found a way to do it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dude Love and Owen Hart had some pretty great comedy matches in 1997.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Skinty McEdger posted:

All three matches. I've never seen a comedy match build off of the psychology of a previous comedy match, but somehow Punk and Delirious found a way to do it.

Seconded. I assume we're talking about the trilogy of matches that were Punk's IWA: Mid-South farewell, with facewashes, bare arses, cunning disguises and golden vampires?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

apsouthern posted:

Seconded. I assume we're talking about the trilogy of matches that were Punk's IWA: Mid-South farewell, with facewashes, bare arses, cunning disguises and golden vampires?

Exactly. I lose it every time that Delirious decides to hide in the crowd.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Dead Snoopy posted:

It's important to remember our socially progressive moments in wrestling, since they seem to be so few and far between, and the South is such an important area in wrestling with such a long history of racism.

And the entire run is before my time, but he won the belt from and lost it to Vader, and he feuded with Cactus Jack. I think I got all that knowledge from Foley's first book.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm hesitant to start a new topic about this since it's such a long-term project and I dunno how much time I'll be able to devote to it over the next couple weeks/months, so I'll just ask questions here for the time being.

Regarding puro: Of Maeda, Inoki, Onita, Tenryu, Muta, Tenzan, Tsuruta, Liger, Sasaki, Kobashi, Misawa, Takada, Hashimoto, Hansen, Fujinami, and Kawada, is there anyone knowledgable enough in puro to make rough rankings of them? I'm trying to narrow the list down by putting people into groups, and this would help me immensely.

Also, which Mexican wrestlers deserve to be on the list, other than Hijo del Santo and Konnan (and Mysterio obviously)?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CVagts posted:

Regarding puro: Of Maeda, Inoki, Onita, Tenryu, Muta, Tenzan, Tsuruta, Liger, Sasaki, Kobashi, Misawa, Takada, Hashimoto, Hansen, Fujinami, and Kawada, is there anyone knowledgable enough in puro to make rough rankings of them? I'm trying to narrow the list down by putting people into groups, and this would help me immensely.

This really depends on what your criteria is there, but I'd say the top guys in no real order if you're looking for a hybrid of longevity, work, and drawing are Inoki, Misawa, and Kobashi. I'd think long and hard about putting Tiger Mask, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Baba in that list too depending on how much you care about overall importance.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

jeffersonlives posted:

This really depends on what your criteria is there, but I'd say the top guys in no real order if you're looking for a hybrid of longevity, work, and drawing are Inoki, Misawa, and Kobashi. I'd think long and hard about putting Tiger Mask, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Baba in that list too depending on how much you care about cultural importance.

I think Kawada should be way high up.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
How in god's name did I forget Baba and Tiger Mask

Right now I've got a rough list of the very top of the rankings and of the Japanese, I'm wondering if anyone should even get consideration beyond Inoki, Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, and maybe Baba. I probably shouldn't even be playing with this until I get some proper criteria set in stone.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I think Kawada should be way high up.

Kawada is a little less important and a little worse of a worker than Misawa and Kobashi in my opinion, but it's not a ridiculous notion to throw him in there.

I forgot Jun Akiyama, he should almost certainly be on that larger list too even if he never quite lived up to what some thought he would be.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You really wouldn't put Jumbo on it?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jumbo?

E: Weekly font, a fast man.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

There's cases for a lot of dudes depending on the criteria. Jumbo is definitely up there, so is Liger, so is Hashimoto, so is Muto...

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Jumbo's on the full list, but I was referring to the very top of the overall list. Like, the top ten best wrestlers of the modern era, or whatever the number ends up being.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yoshihiko?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CVagts posted:

In terms of importance to wrestling in the modern era?

1. Inoki
2. Tsuruta
3. Misawa
4. Takada
5. Kawada
6. Hashimoto
7. Kobashi
8. Liger
9. Muta
10. Hansen
11. Fujinami
12. Maeda
13. Tenryu
14. Onita
15. Sasake
16. Tenzan

If I did an adjustment it'd probably be quite similar. Couldn't see my top five changing much (other than my homerism of Kawada sending him somewhere around 6-10).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yoshihiko?

It's a list of the greats, not literally the single greatest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Gavin Loudspeaker is the guy I was talking about, I bet, on KBB he was Louden Noxious.

e: Quick google tells me I'm right.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'll type up some rough criteria and probably post a new topic about it tomorrow. That way I don't have to keep flooding this topic with discussion about it.

As for guys who would be on the fence for the list (like Akiyama), I'd say go ahead and suggest them, since I can always cut them later if need be.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
What are instances of WWE/Vince taking a wrestler's personal life/problems and turning it into an angle?

I know for sure,

Lawler & Jake Roberts, resulting in Lawler pouring whiskey all over Jake.
Austin & Scott Hall, resulting in much of the same thing.
Crush's criminal history being glamorized.
Hawk's alcoholism being turned into an angle with Droz & Animal.
Jeff Hardy & CM Punk.

But are there any others?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Perdido posted:

What are instances of WWE/Vince taking a wrestler's personal life/problems and turning it into an angle?

I know for sure,

Lawler & Jake Roberts, resulting in Lawler pouring whiskey all over Jake.
Austin & Scott Hall, resulting in much of the same thing.
Crush's criminal history being glamorized.
Hawk's alcoholism being turned into an angle with Droz & Animal.
Jeff Hardy & CM Punk.

But are there any others?

The whole Matt Hardy/Edge/Lita ordeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
Flair and Foley's beef about each other's books.