Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

Just out of frame, a surprisingly stubborn potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Beast Pussy posted:

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

Oh my god that happened to me and I was standing right next to it. It was in a bay like that at the emissions station with cement block walls and floor. I went deaf for 10 minutes or so and I'm sure I lost some hearing permanently from that. It was so much louder than any gun I've ever heard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Just out of frame, a surprisingly stubborn potato.

"Why did you cram me in that muffler?"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 25, 2011

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I'm about 10 pages and 1.5 months late in replying to these, but gently caress it. Original post.

Sponge! posted:

How in the... :confused:

Geoj posted:

Was this your piston from a few pages back...?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what in the gently caress?

valve and guide have a bad breakup? the kind where she throws all his poo poo out on the street followed by gasoline and a match?

InitialDave posted:

"I'm sure we can port it out a bit more, pass that die grinder over here"

That last one actually isn't very far from the truth. As far as we can tell, the previous owner ported the heads and made the valve bowls thinner than they should be, then a blown heater hose on the highway caused the engine to overheat, cracking that area of the bowl. Finally, the head got pressure tested which lead to the pencil-sized hole you see in the photo.

Billy Tully posted:

I bet that guy was pissed when the third head gasket was leaking too.

We actually only changed it the once (well, twice if you count the replacement head) before deciding to get the head tested. It was still incredibly aggravating.

Moral of the story: Don't buy a racecar some redneck built in his garage and expect it to be fine.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
About a year ago, I get a call from a friend of mine saying his truck just went "BOOM" while on the expressway. He said it had been shaking for a while, just "didn't have the time to get it looked at."
:ughh:

I don't think "BOOM" was the only noise made here:

I can only imagine how long it was like this before it let go.

Note the near perfect indentations the drive shaft made in both the muffler and the gas tank.

Amazingly enough, the drive shaft somehow managed to not slip out of the trans. I told him to count his blessings and then play the lottery in hopes he'd win enough money to pay to have a new drive shaft made.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This I-beam rod doesn't look quite right:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

jamal posted:

It is now an S-beam.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13537084

:gonk:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shroomie posted:

I'm about 10 pages and 1.5 months late in replying to these, but gently caress it. Original post.

That last one actually isn't very far from the truth. As far as we can tell, the previous owner ported the heads and made the valve bowls thinner than they should be, then a blown heater hose on the highway caused the engine to overheat, cracking that area of the bowl. Finally, the head got pressure tested which lead to the pencil-sized hole you see in the photo.

We actually only changed it the once (well, twice if you count the replacement head) before deciding to get the head tested. It was still incredibly aggravating.

Moral of the story: Don't buy a racecar some redneck built in his garage and expect it to be fine.

I'm really glad you actually responded to this. it's been bugging me for about 10 pages and 1.5 months now.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Had a Datsun 210; should have changed the points a week sooner.
Sounded like a 20 gauge shotgun when I got off the gas :-)

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Sweet christ that sounds terrible.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jamal posted:

"What, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy."

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Not eating pork roast for a while.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

"Mr McCormack confided that the air was gradually escaping his body in the way that air usually does."

*Insert fart joke here*

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Root Bear posted:

About a year ago, I get a call from a friend of mine saying his truck just went "BOOM" while on the expressway. He said it had been shaking for a while, just "didn't have the time to get it looked at."
:ughh:

I don't think "BOOM" was the only noise made here:

I can only imagine how long it was like this before it let go.

Note the near perfect indentations the drive shaft made in both the muffler and the gas tank.

Amazingly enough, the drive shaft somehow managed to not slip out of the trans. I told him to count his blessings and then play the lottery in hopes he'd win enough money to pay to have a new drive shaft made.
Wow, yoke survived on both ends but only the driveshaft and hardware are toast? a lucky man indeed. You can pretty clearly see that u-joint was dry for a bit before it started pivoting in the saddles.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Less of a mechanical failure more of a WTF nature.
A picture from a friend of a friend.

From the recent tornadoes a 2x4 driven through the sidewall of a tire.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thumposaurus posted:

Less of a mechanical failure more of a WTF nature.
A picture from a friend of a friend.

From the recent tornadoes a 2x4 driven through the sidewall of a tire.

Drag the slider across to level an entire town:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136655052/before-and-after-a-birds-eye-view-of-joplin

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

eddiewalker posted:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/26/136655052/before-and-after-a-birds-eye-view-of-joplin

Pfft... I was doing that in SimCity decades ago.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

b0nes posted:

"Ah poo poo, not again!"

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
front of the car is messed up too, looks like this one had some help.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

b0nes posted:

:stare:

Did this car fall off the back of a truck? I honestly can't see what else would cause that much damage.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Root Bear posted:

:stare:

Did this car fall off the back of a truck? I honestly can't see what else would cause that much damage.

gently caress.

Now I'm really curious to see what it would look like if you filled the diff with gasoline instead of gear oil & just floored it everwhere until the inevitable happened. :devil:

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boat posted:

gently caress.

Now I'm really curious to see what it would look like if you filled the diff with gasoline instead of gear oil & just floored it everwhere until the inevitable happened. :devil:

You'd have to add some sort of oxygen injection system...

Actually, wouldn't it be easier to pack it with C4?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JD Brickmeister posted:

This just makes me think of the old A-Team show.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

JD Brickmeister posted:

You'd have to add some sort of oxygen injection system...

:science: C4 requires a detonator to explode.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

b0nes posted:

This is motoring, the Monty Python way.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

jamal posted:

Here's more carnage from the race motor:

Well done. How much power, how many hours? Is that a stock crank?

Currently recovering from this:

Saved the rods and pistons, but everything else was a write-off. After the #2 cap broke apart in my hands upon disassembly (:aaaaa:) and seeing the oil pump carnage, I ended up trashing the block and the crank just to be safe.

Now I know the limits of the stock main bolts :commissar:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

"Why did you cram me in that muffler?"

I'm so glad I'm not the only person thinking that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

eddiewalker posted:

I know this isn't D&D, but I can't be anything but disgusted that a politician could see that sort of destruction and then say that Congress won't pay a cent of disaster relief unless they cut it from the budget somewhere.

And to make it even more ridiculous, some of the cuts seem that they might be coming from the tornado forecasting service :psyduck:

Source

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know this isn't D&D, but I can't be anything but disgusted that a politician could see that sort of destruction and then say that Congress won't pay a cent of disaster relief unless they cut it from the budget somewhere.

And to make it even more ridiculous, some of the cuts seem that they might be coming from the tornado forecasting service :psyduck:

Source

:psyduck: :psyduck:

How could you make a statement like that and NOT think that its not going to go over well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Savington posted:

Well done. How much power, how many hours? Is that a stock crank?

the last tune was 747whp/690lb-ft at 38psi and this happened just as boost came on in 5th gear. We stuck a rod through the side of the block last November and re-used the crank so that probably had something to do with it. 4 events and less than 30 laps on the rebuild. It's a BC, we also have some bent BC I-beam rods and a cracked cylinder wall.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Beast Pussy posted:

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

I had a very similar thing happen to me driving along the waterfront in Seattle on my Z31. Out of sheer bad luck I suppose, the ignition rotor had managed to back out the bolt securing it to the post, and it literally went from one cylinder firing just fine, to the biggest explosion I had yet heard going off right under my rear end under the car. Peeled the muffler open just like that.

It was just about the start of when I was beginning to learn how to at least work on the basics of a car, so it wasn't until a couple of days later when I'm finally going point-to-point ( :rimshot: ) to narrow down why the car does so poorly with any fuel/spark added to turning over, that I took the cap off, and the rotor came with it.

Put the bolt back in, with the tiniest hair of lock-tite, and minutes later I'm back to a perfectly working car.

Well, and a comedically loud exhaust.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

I had a very similar thing happen to me driving along the waterfront in Seattle on my Z31. Out of sheer bad luck I suppose, the ignition rotor had managed to back out the bolt securing it to the post, and it literally went from one cylinder firing just fine, to the biggest explosion I had yet heard going off right under my rear end under the car. Peeled the muffler open just like that.

It was just about the start of when I was beginning to learn how to at least work on the basics of a car, so it wasn't until a couple of days later when I'm finally going point-to-point ( :rimshot: ) to narrow down why the car does so poorly with any fuel/spark added to turning over, that I took the cap off, and the rotor came with it.

Put the bolt back in, with the tiniest hair of lock-tite, and minutes later I'm back to a perfectly working car.

Well, and a comedically loud exhaust.

Sucks to be you. I've had fun things like the distributor shaft disengaging from the distributor drive shaft while driving (2 part keyed thing, VW), and the rotor floating up and getting caught on an electrode. That sort of thing. makes a nice pop doesn't it. Malfunctioning LPG is fun too. Nothing like a failed start letting rip with a bang in the exhaust and intake at the same time. I love having to reassemble the LPG plumbing, drag the punched in filter out of the airbox and re-seat it and close it again when I'm in a hurry.

On the subject. Minor mechanical failure with annoying consequences. Anyone know how hot the exhaust on an LPG car gets when it's running lean? You could probably use it to heat a house effectively. A house full of asphyxiated people.
Anyway it seems to be enough heat that it can melt the vinyl cover on the front of a caravan over a meter away. It would have been a horrible failure if the caravan's LPG tank were about 1' further right. What happens when a small domestic LPG tank is heated a lot anyway?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
It expands, ruptures (generally with some force), and is unpleasant to be around at that moment. That's assuming you keep it away from ignition sources like fire, sparks, or (as they told us in the dept training, but neither I nor nobody I've spoken to had seen the air mix be perfect enough and a car's cables arcing badly enough) a running car.

Then it's extremely unpleasant to be around at that moment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

What happens when a small domestic LPG tank is heated a lot anyway?

BLEVE

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well poo poo. That would have been unpleasant.

I really wish I had access to the DECA "museum". When I was doing training for my truck license we were shown a couple of rooms that had mangled parts laid out everywhere. It was pretty much a student's hall of shame. There were chewed turbos, driveshafts split and bent, wrecked drums bearings and wheels, a few mangled pistons and valves and various other sundry items. We even had to play a game of "guess what that part used to be" for some of them. I guess when teaching people how to drive heavy machinery there will be casualties. Especially people that have trouble understanding that an econobox and a truck with dual range crashbox with half gears are a totally different vehicle.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Revolvyerom posted:

is unpleasant to be around at that moment.

Then it's extremely unpleasant to be around at that moment.

Having had the unfortunate experience of a SCUBA tank popping its burst disk and providing an exciting demonstration of Newton's second law, I'd say this is optimistic to the point of euphemism.

On the plus side they generally have to get pretty warm for anything to go seriously wrong, though a sunny day plus hotter than normal exhaust would be more than I'd like to bet on.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

drzrma posted:

Having had the unfortunate experience of a SCUBA tank popping its burst disk and providing an exciting demonstration of Newton's second law, I'd say this is optimistic to the point of euphemism.

On the plus side they generally have to get pretty warm for anything to go seriously wrong, though a sunny day plus hotter than normal exhaust would be more than I'd like to bet on.

Mythbusters just did something with an LP grill tank - same thing but smaller, right? They put it in a burning building, after about 20 minutes the safety vent popped and essentially created a semi-controlled blowtorch for 10 seconds.

The only way they could get an explosion was to rig the pressure release valve so it wouldn't work. Essentially what you get is a big explosion with shrapnel from the broken tank all over the place. To get that they had to set it on a specially created gas burner that looked like about 20 blowtorches going off at once, for about ten minutes.

They were trying to re-create the myth that the tank turned into a rocket that flew 150 feet in the air. They were kind of able to do it by rigging a gun to shoot a hole in the bottom just as the tank started to bulge. It went maybe 60 feet, then started spinning because it didn't have stabilizer fins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

JD Brickmeister posted:

Mythbusters just did something with an LP grill tank - same thing but smaller, right? They put it in a burning building, after about 20 minutes the safety vent popped and essentially created a semi-controlled blowtorch for 10 seconds.

The only way they could get an explosion was to rig the pressure release valve so it wouldn't work. Essentially what you get is a big explosion with shrapnel from the broken tank all over the place. To get that they had to set it on a specially created gas burner that looked like about 20 blowtorches going off at once, for about ten minutes.

They were trying to re-create the myth that the tank turned into a rocket that flew 150 feet in the air. They were kind of able to do it by rigging a gun to shoot a hole in the bottom just as the tank started to bulge. It went maybe 60 feet, then started spinning because it didn't have stabilizer fins.

The water heater rocket worked pretty goddamn good though, and morons replace that overpressure valve all the time, because they're morons. Then all it takes is a broken thermostat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0