Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Profanity posted:

Oh absolutely, I got back into listening to them again recently and it just reinforces that they're two of the most naturally funny people I can think of.

Sorry chap but that is nonsense.

I wish my phone would allow this as a text tone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I can't believe no one's mentioned Drop the Dead Donkey. The re-runs even have a little bit explaining what the news was if you were too young, ignorant or American at the time. It's also interesting watching it in light of the massive gaping maw to hell that Fox News has created since the show started in 1990.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Cutting through the comedy jelly with the steel knife of drama, not wanting to make a mess, but having seen Edge of Darkness, I will be buying the DVD for everyone next Christmas.

It had shouting, Jack Wade and that amazing 80s tv crime music.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PlantHead posted:

Mary Whitehouse Experience
It was hilarious when I was a kid, anyone seen it recently and has it suffered from age?

You see that post ? That's your post that is. That's your post that you've written.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Padje posted:

Cutting through the comedy jelly with the steel knife of drama, not wanting to make a mess, but having seen Edge of Darkness, I will be buying the DVD for everyone next Christmas.

It had shouting, Jack Wade and that amazing 80s tv crime music.

Yes, this is one of the best dramas I've seen. I didn't bother with the remake with mel gibson or whatever as I couldn't see how it could touch the original. I watched it when I first moved away from home on some VHS tapes which was nice.

I hope people here have watched the original Survivors. People remember things like Blake's Seven and Doctor Who, but the original Survivors was really good. Plus it has Brian Blessed in it running a tribe out of an abandoned train.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

boner meter posted:

Yup, along with Stephen Moffat and Edgar "Holy nerds, am I right guys!?" Wright.

Welp, that certainly has been the decider to see the film now despite the slightly creepy art style.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

Yikes, this looks like what would happen if they'd made Love Thy Neighbour with blackface.

What is it with Spike Milligan and Pakistanis?

His father was an officer in the Indian Army; he was born and grew up there. Some of the Goon Show episodes feature long strings of Hindi obscenities on the grounds that nobody would get them - legend has it that the BBC then began recieving complaints from supposedly respectable old ladies complaining about the offensive language, to which his response was "and how did a respectable old lady find out what those words mean?"

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Metrication posted:

Time Trumpet was brilliant. Might seem a bit dated now due to it talking about years that have already happened.
Considering its age, I think its predictions hit close enough to home.

Armando Iannucci Shows is really worth a watch too, I love how it takes surreal comedy in absurd situations and makes them oftentimes pretty touching and emotional as well as funny. Also, Hugh.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Has anyone recommended The Thick of It yet?

Also where is the 4th series??!?!??!?!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Profanity posted:

While not a sitcom, I still think The Adam and Joe Show is a staple of 90s British humour.

Yup. Adam and Joe is crucial viewing. That, Fist of Fun and This Morning with Richard Not Judy shaped my young adulthood and set in stone my sense of humour.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Adam and Joe podcasts are hilarious. Even their old XFM ones are incredible.

Their critique of Trapped in the Closet just might be the greatest thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTaCoEufViQ

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

When I was a student I met a girl with impeccable taste in seemingly all things and she saw me the same way. We went out for about a month and we hit a roadblock by us finding out the first thing we disagreed on: she thought The Vicar of Dibley was unironically the funniest thing ever. I however, unlike her, thought accurately about the Vicar of Dibley, put it that way, and this drove a wedge between us.

Our brief, budding relationship ended shortly after, each of us thinking the other must be flawed in some tragic way to not see the plainly obvious truth about The Vicar of Dibley. It's also a shame she had to be so wrong and me so right, but such is the nature of liking or disliking The Vicar of Dibley.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 25, 2011

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
A good summary of Geordie Shore

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tv-film/geordie-shore-doing-for-newcastle-what-borat-did-for-kazakhstan/

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

When I was a student I met a girl with impeccable taste in seemingly all things and she saw me the same way. We went out for about a month and we hit a roadblock by us finding out the first thing we disagreed on: she thought The Vicar of Dibley was unironically the funniest thing ever. I however, unlike her, thought accurately about the Vicar of Dibley, put it that way, and this drove a wedge between us.

Our brief, budding relationship ended shortly after, each of us thinking the other must be flawed in some tragic way to not see the plainly obvious truth about The Vicar of Dibley. It's also a shame she had to be so wrong and me so right, but such is the nature of liking or disliking The Vicar of Dibley.

You had a narrow escape.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Metrication posted:

Has anyone recommended The Thick of It yet?

Also where is the 4th series??!?!??!?!
It's being filmed later this year.

I think Garth edged Adam in this week's song wars with his clever lyrics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamandjoe/2011/05/song-wars---toys-games.shtml

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gram-O-Phone posted:

You had a narrow escape.

Me and my dad agree over this, that program was the sign that the alternate comedy movement had fully became boring and mainstream.

Had a RE Teacher that'd show a few episodes at secondary school in 2003 to underline some points. I failed my RE GCSE.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gram-O-Phone posted:

You had a narrow escape.
Definitely. First it's Vicar, then it's My Family, then what? Life of loving Riley?! It's all downhill.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My ex-girlfriend loved Michael McIntyre, hated Laurel and Hardy and thought Stewart Lee was like Charlie Brooker because they both disliked things. Or something.

BLOODY WOMEN

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Profanity posted:

Definitely. First it's Vicar, then it's My Family, then what? Life of loving Riley?! It's all downhill.

I just switched on BBC1 for the Apprentice and isn't the kid in generic middle-class family sitcom Life of Riley the same kid who was in generic middle-class family sitcom My Family? That poor fucker.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of poor fuckers, I wouldn't like to be Olafur in Night Shift right about now.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I just switched on BBC1 for the Apprentice and isn't the kid in generic middle-class family sitcom Life of Riley the same kid who was in generic middle-class family sitcom My Family? That poor fucker.
Imdb says no, but apparently he was the kid that Ed Harris hanged in Enemy at the Gates. I never realised.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Profanity posted:

Poor Caroline Quentin, falling from the heights of Men Behaving Badly and Jonathan Creek to this. It's not even awfully bad, it's just derivative, dull and desperately mediocre. I guess M&S weren't paying her enough.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The BBC really nailed the pre-Apprentice combo tonight. Waterloo Road is a wonderful programme. People say that Britain can't produce big 20+ episode a year dramas with the same scope and quality as America, but Waterloo Road really proves them wrong. The quality of the acting, the writing and the general production are second to none, it's only a matter of time before Amanda Burton and Robson Green move on to bigger and better things - the latter is like an English Hugh Laurie.

Followed up by Life of Riley. Wow. Has there ever been a greater comedy? It's observations of everyday life are spot on as well as charming, the relationships between the characters tread that realism of funny and moving. The dysfunctional family dynamic perfectly reflects the oddities of the viewers own everyday life - we all have our little quirks. None of this gets in the way of the razor sharp wit on display from leading star Caroline Quentin.

Wonderful stuff BBC.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 26, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Ben Soosneb posted:

The BBC really nailed the pre-Apprentice combo tonight. Waterloo Road is a wonderful programme. People say that Britain can't produce big 20+ episode a year dramas with the same scope and quality as America, but Waterloo Road really proves them wrong. The quality of the acting, the writing and the general production are second to none, it's only a matter of time before Amanda Burton and Robson Green move on to bigger and better things - the latter is like an English Hugh Laurie.

Hugh Laurie is English.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Sorry, I might have gone a little bit overboard with the sarcasm.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

justcola posted:

My ex-girlfriend loved Michael McIntyre, hated Laurel and Hardy and thought Stewart Lee was like Charlie Brooker because they both disliked things. Or something.

BLOODY WOMEN

I feel your pain.

Mine hates Gervais and Lee and likes McIntyre and The Cleveland Show.

She makes up for it though by loving MST3K, League of Gentlemen and Psychoville.

She's an odd mix.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Ben Soosneb posted:

Sorry, I might have gone a little bit overboard with the sarcasm.
No, you didn't.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Drop the dead donkey is superb. I cant believe only one person mentioned it. I just rewatched it all in order.

I think I'm in love with Joy.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Poor Caroline Quentin, falling from the heights of Men Behaving Badly and Jonathan Creek to this. It's not even awfully bad, it's just derivative, dull and desperately mediocre. I guess M&S weren't paying her enough.

Speaking of, I remember her being bloody funny in Kiss Me Kate which is a sitcom I've seem to have forgotten about. Must track it down on DVD and see if I still feel the same way.

Anybody remember Beast? I found the first episode on youtube but they never released it on DVD. Shame really. It was pretty damned good.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
To all those complaining about friends and loved ones liking Michael McIntyre. Sit them down and watch a section of McIntyre stand up and then compare it to an episode of ChuckleVision.

Barry and Paul have managed to keep up fresh episodes through 22 series over 24 years, they have the brotherly relationship and slapstick down perfectly, sometimes they even verge onto social commentary. Their entire show is of course a brilliant act, on the face of it they look like two chain smoking blokes you wouldn't want anywhere near your children, yet they've come up with one of the longest running kids tv shows of all time. The show being a show is a show, I'm sure that's post-modern or something.

Michael McIntyre makes observations that aren't really that observational, mostly they are nonsense, and he says them in a weird pretend posh-not-posh voice.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sometimes for fun I refer to them as the Brothers Chuckle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wait, they are still doing it? Give then a bloody award or something.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I saw this on their Wikipedia article:

quote:

In April 2007, while on holiday on the Greek island of Kefalonia, Paul broke his nose and received cuts and bruises when he lost control of his motorbike after suddenly braking to avoid a shepherd and his flock of goats. Tourists who stopped at the accident, instead of helping him out, shouted out the Chuckle Brothers' catchphrase: "To me, to you."

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I saw this on their Wikipedia article:

That is glorious

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I feel your pain.

Mine hates Gervais and Lee and likes McIntyre and The Cleveland Show.

She makes up for it though by loving MST3K, League of Gentlemen and Psychoville.

She's an odd mix.

Yeah. For every time she says Chris Moyles is funny, she'd almost counter it by loving stuff like Psychoville, Sherlock and stuff.

A lot of the time I did talk about Chucklevision as being a hundred times better than The Hangover or Mock The Week. I unironically like them and will be upset when one dies as the other will follow soon after.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007989k/ChuckleVision_Series_15_Bookshop_Chuckles/

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

justcola posted:

I unironically like them and will be upset when one dies as the other will follow soon after.

Type 'is bar' into google, and look at the suggestions that appear.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
is barry manilow gay
is barley gluten free
is barbizon a scam
is barack obama a muslim
is barack obama a us citizen

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah whenever somebody wants to start a word-of-mouth rumour that somebody's died, they always seem to default to Barry Chuckle. I swear that's happened to me at least 3 times over my life, from school to camping to music festivals.

It's probably harder to pull that off now with mobile Internet being so popular.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, you've just got to time it right and set up a quick and dirty fake website.

Don't you remember Jeff Goldblum dying the same time Michael Jackson did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got a signed photo of the chuckle brothers somewhere. Just had a look but think it must be in a box somewhere. Also a copy of their album, To You to Me, which may also be signed. When one of them does die that poo poo is going to be priceless. I should make sure I can find it.

My sister was on the their To Me... To You... game show when she was a kid. She said that one of them chain smoked and the other was a bit creepy.