Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I honestly dont care about custom roms nearly as much as I care about rooting for tethering. What are the odds I would be able to do this with the evo 3d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chunk posted:

I honestly dont care about custom roms nearly as much as I care about rooting for tethering. What are the odds I would be able to do this with the evo 3d?

See I am the opposite way. I don't care about tether, I just want custom ROMs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chunk posted:

USB tethering with PdaNet or EasyTether shouldn't be a problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did anybody catch if there are new Windows Mobile handsets for Sprint coming?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What about wifi tethering (that's what I'm using right now because there is no way in hell I would visit SA on my work connection/pc)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

No new hardware being announced yet according to This is My next.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chunk posted:

What about wifi tethering
That nominally requires root, so it's uncertain.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Don't these require software to be installed on the computer? Wifi tethering is so convenient because you don't need to install anything, you don't need admin rights, and it works with any Wifi device not just computers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Don't these require software to be installed on the computer? Wifi tethering is so convenient because you don't need to install anything, you don't need admin rights, and it works with any Wifi device not just computers.
Yes, and I agree that wifi tethering is more convenient. But for some folks PdaNet/EasyTether may be sufficient and will work on non-rooted or "non-rootable" devices.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While I'm sure someone will eventually find and exploit another root vulnerability, Google is making this approach much more difficult for Gingerbread devices than Froyo.
That may be, but it's still going to be way easier to root the phone than it will be to unlock the bootloader.. unless something leaks, of course, which honestly wouldn't surprise me all that much.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I wonder if something like KON-BOOT could be applied to a phone environment. I don't pretend to understand how it works but apparently it edits the kernel to give you root access without the password.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After reading the XDA thread about the EVO 3D I think I understand a little better the difference between encrypted and locked bootloader. Sounds like there is a chance it could be broken, but a lot are doubtful or it will be awhile before you will ever be able to flash a custom ROM (if ever).

Just curious what is the main reason HTC is doing this? Is it really to please the carriers because of tethering? Urg if the Nexus S was dual core I would tell my wife to get that instead.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

heat posted:

I wonder if something like KON-BOOT could be applied to a phone environment.
There's still a chicken & egg problem as the KON-BOOT code has to be injected into the kernel somehow, which requires root privileges and being able to write to the locked portion of flash memory. If that could be done, then the situation would already be no worse than with Motorola devices. Although at that point, one should be able to flash the engineering HBOOT which will likely turn up.

nate fisher posted:

After reading the XDA thread about the EVO 3D I think I understand a little better the difference between encrypted and locked bootloader.
Blah xda misinformation. To be honest, the signed (note, not encrypted) bootloader is really a red herring. The signatures appear to be ignored with S-OFF, and are irrelevant if an engineering HBOOT is flashed. The problem is the previous method of power-cycling the eMMC post-boot to disable the NAND lock (to flash an engineering HBOOT) no longer works, and folks have yet to achieve S-OFF via software means on the latest devices.

This is really a different situation than Motorola devices. None of them, to my knowledge, have had NAND locks. Conversely, there's never been any mechanism to disable signatures nor any leaked bootloaders that would ignore them. For those devices, the inability to sign kernels is the real problem, it's not so much on HTC.

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what is the main reason HTC is doing this? Is it really to please the carriers because of tethering?
No one knows. It can't be the carriers, since it's not an issue with other manufacturers, including Motorola's future (late 2011) devices. Plus, unbranded HTC devices are locked also.

Maybe they figure it reduces their overall support costs? I can't imagine it does though, given that every previous device of theirs has been cracked.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

No new phones were announced, but there are supposed to be a few new phones coming out this fall with the release of the Mango update, though the hardware specs won't be that much improved. There are rumors of a HTC Mazda coming to Sprint, which is basically a slightly bigger Arrive without a keyboard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ZeroAX posted:

No new phones were announced, but there are supposed to be a few new phones coming out this fall with the release of the Mango update, though the hardware specs won't be that much improved. There are rumors of a HTC Mazda coming to Sprint, which is basically a slightly bigger Arrive without a keyboard.

HTC Mazda? ?

I guess you can use your Sprint phone to buy things at the cash register or something (NFC payments), does anybody plan to use this?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/google-and-sprint-team-up-to-take-your-digital-dollars-with-new/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
HTC just posted on Facebook:

Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon. Thank you for your interest, support and willingness to share your feedback.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

CharlesM posted:

HTC Mazda? ?

I guess you can use your Sprint phone to buy things at the cash register or something (NFC payments), does anybody plan to use this?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/google-and-sprint-team-up-to-take-your-digital-dollars-with-new/

You can only do it with the Nexus S, which has a special NFC component. It sounds great, I only wish it would be able to replace IDs. If it can't do that then I still have to carry my wallet and the utility isn't really there.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It looks like people spammed the HTC FB page bitching about the bootloader for the EVO 3D, and that is why HTC posted that statement. I give them props for listening, and if they change their mind they will become my favorite company. It would be nice for a company to listen to consumers once and awhile.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

HTC Mazda? ?

Sorry, it's actually HTC Mazaa.

http://www.xda-developers.com/windows-mobile/xda-developers-exclusive-first-leaked-pics-of-htc-mazaa/

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Do EPRP plans get that extra $10 smartphone fee? So the $60 plan will actually be $70?

As far as the Everything Plus Messaging plan goes, it's $40 for 500 minutes and unlimited texting with no data. What would be the best phone to take advantage of this plan?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Battery life on the Epic Gingerbread ROM is ridiculous... 7 hours off charger and I'm at 85%.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Eyecannon posted:

Battery life on the Epic Gingerbread ROM is ridiculous... 7 hours off charger and I'm at 85%.

Sitting at home on WiFi or out doing stuff and using the phone? I'd love to get that kind of battery life in everyday situations, but I doubt I ever will.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Do EPRP plans get that extra $10 smartphone fee? So the $60 plan will actually be $70?

As far as the Everything Plus Messaging plan goes, it's $40 for 500 minutes and unlimited texting with no data. What would be the best phone to take advantage of this plan?

Sprint is releasing the Samsung Trender (replacement of the Seek), and having a special plan for it:

$50 a month, unlimited calling and texting (no data). Optional data at $15 a month (but the phone is 1xrtt, so wouldn't be worth it).

Phone is probably crap, but is meant for someone who needs an individual plan, no smartphone and a crapload of calling. The plan is only available for the Trender.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sitting at home on WiFi or out doing stuff and using the phone? I'd love to get that kind of battery life in everyday situations, but I doubt I ever will.

Fairly light usage, but compare this to my same phone on various Froyo ROMs and I would be at 50% by the evening... my phone now is at 80%. I have Wifi at home and work, so it was only on 4G during my 15 minute bike ride each way.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Do EPRP plans get that extra $10 smartphone fee? So the $60 plan will actually be $70?
Correct, it gets +$10 which makes it $70.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
So Woot has the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 16GB Android Tablet - Wi-Fi + 3G for sale today for $259.99. I currently have SERO premium with the EVO 4G. If I got this tablet could I do an online ESN swap between my phone and this tablet for data back and forth whenever I felt like switching devices or would the device require a plan change?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

scarymonkey posted:

So Woot has the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 16GB Android Tablet - Wi-Fi + 3G for sale today for $259.99. I currently have SERO premium with the EVO 4G. If I got this tablet could I do an online ESN swap between my phone and this tablet for data back and forth whenever I felt like switching devices or would the device require a plan change?

Plan change, tablets can't go on a voice plan. If you are getting it no contract I would recommend either just activating the $30 3g plan when desired and deactivating when not, or just tethering off the EVO when desires (free tethering if you root the phone).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/sprint-teams-up-with-motorola-for-june-9-event-finally-launchin/

Motorola device coming to Sprint (Atrix?).

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Are you using CM7 alpha?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

I truly think motoblur is the absolute loving worst android skin you could ever imagine. You people think Touchwiz is bad? Try explaning to a customer why your text messages go to 8 different apps

I hate dealing with Samsung phones and if anyone brings me an Intercept/Transform to work on I groan, but I think Touchwiz is the best Android UI

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Motorola device coming to Sprint (Atrix?).
Great, slow-rear end software despite being dual-core Tegra 2 and (likely) a signed bootloader? Not sure how it's going to compete with the Evo 3D.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Great, slow-rear end software despite being dual-core Tegra 2 and (likely) a signed bootloader? Not sure how it's going to compete with the Evo 3D.

Yes I would put it 4th on my list behind the Nexus S, EVO 3D, and the rumored SGS2.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
A cam watching redtail hawks on the Sprint campus :3: (where we almost got hit by a tornado this morning!!)

http://www.varacam.com/index.htm

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alman posted:

A cam watching redtail hawks on the Sprint campus :3: (where we almost got hit by a tornado this morning!!)

http://www.varacam.com/index.htm

I was going to ask how you guys are holding up with the tornado conditions these days.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

rock2much posted:

Are you using CM7 alpha?

No, Midnight ROM v6. CM7 looks like it sucks for the Epic, no GPS, camera, 4G...

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Steve Moore posted:

I was going to ask how you guys are holding up with the tornado conditions these days.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

I have had about 4-5 Samsung Epic swaps in the past week and a half due to various defect issues. Samsung sucks.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

There's a good post here outlining many of the issues with the Epic 4G and Samsung in general. And another post here about how and why their software tends to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

thelightguy posted:

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.