Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Just a little whack to try to free the puck, and it was about a half-second - if that - after he caught the puck. He seemed like he didn't have a really great grasp on it, so I gave him a little tappy-tap. This was all before the whistle.

He screamed "what the gently caress!" and I, of course, immediately skated to the box.

I play whistle to whistle. :chord:

As a goalie I must point out that you intentionally slashed someone and feel you did nothing wrong :stare:

As a skater I say keep doing it :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

As a goalie I must point out that you intentionally slashed someone and feel you did nothing wrong :stare:

As a skater I say keep doing it :smug:

Oh, it was definitely a penalty. I'm just kind of :psyduck: at how butthurt he got over it.

I slash you, next time I'm in the crease, you cup-check me. That's hockey.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Oh, it was definitely a penalty. I'm just kind of :psyduck: at how butthurt he got over it.

I slash you, next time I'm in the crease, you cup-check me. That's hockey.

Sometimes people get butthurt over the most inane poo poo. My last game degenerated into a complete mess of blatant cheapshots after one dude allegedly slashed one of my teammates on the leg in the opening five minutes. This only logically results in my thirty pounds heavier teammate crosschecking the other guy and sending him sprawling across the ice, thereby setting off a complete mess of subtle cheapshots followed by blatant roughing responses. Three of our guys got ejected, and we spent most of our time on the PK. All because my twenty-something/early-thirties teammates got butthurt over a few lovetaps from a team of 18-19 year-olds. Go figure...

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Topoisomerase posted:

...they're exhausted and either wind up making a bad change or being totally ineffective at backchecking. ;)

What is this 'backchecking' you speak of?

jk, your post mirrors my feelings too. We have a team of former Never/Ever players that wanted to move up and get more experience. We had a few uncomfortable instances of 'But, I wasn't even tired yet' early on. After 2-3 games with a more firm stance on shift length, it kinda woke up some of our guys when we completely gassed the other teams in the second period. We will probably have to move up another division largely based on how much a team can dominate if they all play short, hard shifts, skate as hard as you can and make the other team chase you all night.

That and I think the other teams play a drop-in style where the man closest to the door goes out next and we have forward lines and defense pairs.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Holy poo poo was tonight a night that I love my team and love playing hockey.

Played our first game of the playoffs against a team that shelled us 11-3 two weeks ago but we had also beaten them earlier this year. We managed to get up by two goals, one of which I got a nice primary assist on as I'm starting to realize I love being in the slot on faceoffs to the left. But then the other team came back with their own 2 goal flury that got them within 1.

The majority of the game was a bunch of good back and forth play but the last few minutes were a bit poo poo. We were up by 1, they got a penalty for a decent call on one of our other D-men preventing a gimme-goal. We go on the PK and shut them down, including their ringer from about 4 levels up, so we're feeling good.

Almost as soon as it's back to even strength, with about 2 minutes left one of our D tries to put a stick out to block a man coming behind the crease with the puck and for whatever reason the other guy just falls down. Ref immediately calls a slash, even though he never actually slashed the guy. I go back out to get on D in the hope we can close out the game and not go to a shootout.

We managed to keep them cycling the puck on the outside, up until one of their D pinches slightly gets the puck off the half-board and I go out to take his angle and prevent a pass. I can see he's getting ready to shoot and normally I try to get out of the way of the shot completely to give the goalie a better read on it but something said I should stay upright and try to block it.

Well I did block it, I blocked it right into his teammates skate which it then rebounded off, hit another guy and went in to tie it up with about a minute left. I felt like poo poo but I didn't really know what else I could do in the play.

Thankfully we managed to pull it out in about the 6th round of the shootout so our hope of winning the cup this season is on track.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just won our first game of this summers beach/inline league last night. Finally being on a team which doesnt consist of free agents was awesome.

We won 13-6. They were just firing shots from everywhrere in the 2nd period to hopefully get lucky bounces. Our guys playing D let up a bit and tried getting some goals themselves in the 2nd which is how we let in 2 goals.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm about to ship my skates back to Bauer to get fixed and I figure I should put some tape or something over the runners so they don't cut through the box. Do I need to worry about tape leaving sticky residue all over them or will electrical or hockey tape be ok?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

I'm about to ship my skates back to Bauer to get fixed and I figure I should put some tape or something over the runners so they don't cut through the box. Do I need to worry about tape leaving sticky residue all over them or will electrical or hockey tape be ok?

The adhesive on both should come off easily with some warm soapy water, regardless.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
A fairly common prank is to put a dab of scotch tape over someone's blade before a game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

runoverbobby posted:

A fairly common prank is to put a dab of scotch tape over someone's blade before a game.
I feel like an idiot asking but...

What does this do? Just make the blade slippery?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

coldwind posted:

I feel like an idiot asking but...

What does this do? Just make the blade slippery?

Blade isnt biting into the ice since the tape is on there lol

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah if they don't see the tape before stepping onto the ice they'll skate like a wounded animal for a minute or so until they figure it out.

I felt pretty bad for one dude who made a beeline to the pro shop for a resharpening. The douchebags sharpened his skates, rang him up and then told him there was a piece of tape on the blade. :mad:

Had a teammate who did it every week, usually when people left their equipment to go to the bathroom or something. He's not a teammate anymore. It's also incredibly stupid to pull it on random teammates you don't know very well, because if they fall and get hurt you're probably liable.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

Blade isnt biting into the ice since the tape is on there lol
OK, I'm clearly a moron because I read it and for some reason thought "why would scotch taping the blade of a hockey stick be such a great prank?"

Note to self: Skates also have blades. Also, you need to work on your memory.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

gigabitnokie, I have a random question for you that I don't want to clutter up the thread with, but you don't have PM. Shoot me an email at zambonirodeo at gmail.com if you would be so kind! Thanks.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hey, back to Pants Chat. It has become painfully obvious (get it? because every blocked shot hurts herp derp) that the nine year old pants that I have now are not cutting it. How do I make sure that a pair from Hockey Monkey is going to fit? I haven't had to try on pants in almost a decade, so I have no idea what size I should get, or what the variations in size are between companies.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Order two sizes. Return one. That's what I did.

SIzing is pretty true to what's listed, though. The chart will usually specify something like, "If you're X height and have Y waist, get size Z"

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aggro posted:

Hey, back to Pants Chat. It has become painfully obvious (get it? because every blocked shot hurts herp derp) that the nine year old pants that I have now are not cutting it. How do I make sure that a pair from Hockey Monkey is going to fit? I haven't had to try on pants in almost a decade, so I have no idea what size I should get, or what the variations in size are between companies.
I think the obvious answer here is that the only way to tell if they fit is to try them on. Otherwise, nothing short of sending them a mold of your torso is going to do the trick.

In terms of variations in size between companies, Ice Warehouse review videos can be helpful at times. Otherwise, you pretty much just Google it. If there's too much noise on Google, you can try specific sites like Mod Squad Hockey (though they're definitely a bit anal about modding) or Ice Warehouse Message Board (probably too lax about modding).

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I'm in the market for a (my first) pair of ice skates. In an attempt to utilize half my budget on skates thanks to bewbies' op, I started looking at the clearance stuff on hockeymonkey trying to find those end of the model year deals.

Here's my question/confusion:

The Easton EQ5 skate is listed with like a 50% 69% discount under clearance skates.

Does anyone know much about this skate? Is it good for a first pair? The Easton writeup says it's for advanced skaters, and that definitely isn't me, but is that just a marketing ploy?

I'm going to the pro-shop on the way home today to get an adequate sizing for potential online ordering and will ask the guy there too (but I'm sure he's going to be biased as poo poo to sell his stuff.)

After hearing some of the horror stories about skimping on/messing up first skate purchases, I'm paranoid that I'm going to screw it up now. :ohdear:

edit: sorry for the ninja edit, the daily deal dropped the % even more making me that much more worried.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
You should really buy your first pair in the store. Different brands fit people different and you have now idea what size or brand your feet will like.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I was hoping to actually pull some kind of ninja effort like find out what I like in the store then take that knowledge to the net to try and find it cheaper than the marked up pro shop.

I don't think that's a terrible breach of etiquette but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

cenzo posted:

I'm in the market for a (my first) pair of ice skates. In an attempt to utilize half my budget on skates thanks to bewbies' op, I started looking at the clearance stuff on hockeymonkey trying to find those end of the model year deals.

Here's my question/confusion:

The Easton EQ5 skate is listed with like a 50% 69% discount under clearance skates.

Does anyone know much about this skate? Is it good for a first pair? The Easton writeup says it's for advanced skaters, and that definitely isn't me, but is that just a marketing ploy?

I'm going to the pro-shop on the way home today to get an adequate sizing for potential online ordering and will ask the guy there too (but I'm sure he's going to be biased as poo poo to sell his stuff.)

After hearing some of the horror stories about skimping on/messing up first skate purchases, I'm paranoid that I'm going to screw it up now. :ohdear:

edit: sorry for the ninja edit, the daily deal dropped the % even more making me that much more worried.

I don't think you can find a skate too "high performance" for a beginner. The same things that make them beneficial to pros would be good for you too. The EQ5 would probably be a perfectly good skate for you but you shouldn't be choosing a skate based on % off, you need to try them on and see what brand/line feels right.

I'm not an expert on sizing but I think a decent approach would be to try on smaller and smaller sizes until you find one that's obviously too small and then go with a half size or so up from that. I wish I had done that when I got my first pair. I had no idea what a good fit felt like and went with size 9 which felt perfectly fine walking around the store, and I was able to skate in pretty well for a year but once I went down to 8.5 it became obvious that my first pair had been too big.

cenzo posted:

I don't think that's a terrible breach of etiquette but please let me know if I'm wrong.

That's kind of a lovely thing to do to a small shop and keep in mind that a lot of places will include the first sharpening and will bake them for free so that's like a $20-30 value.

edit: Also when my recently online purchased skates broke I had to pay to ship them back to be fixed ($12): the local shop guy would have done that for me if I had got them through him.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

cenzo posted:

I was hoping to actually pull some kind of ninja effort like find out what I like in the store then take that knowledge to the net to try and find it cheaper than the marked up pro shop.

You might be able to find it cheaper but take into account if the shop offers you anything for buying in-store. I could have gotten my skates cheaper online, but buying in-store was free baking, 5 extra free sharpenings, and they don't charge for punching/stretching if you bought from them. For as much as I've had done to fit my weird rear end feet I'd have probably saved a little online and then spent twice that getting my skates fit right.

WuChou fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 25, 2011

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a hell of a price for those EQ5s, they were $550 or so a few months ago.

They're listed as "no refund no exchange" so you're taking quite a risk buying off of the internet but on the other hand you might be saving $200+. Tough call.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

cenzo posted:

It's not a breach of etiquette, they may not get that sale from you, but if they are helpful, then you are likely to return as a customer in the future. That being said, see if they are willing to match or beat the online price. As others have said, if you buy the skates locally, then they'll likely throw in a free profiling, initial sharpening, and baking. You'll usually get a discount on sharpening if you bring your skates back to the same shop. Though if you order skates online from a place that has a real store, then you can have them do the initial sharpening and profiling.

I'm not sure how it is with player skates, but the footbeds that normally come with skates are pretty lovely, so it may be worth it to invest in Yellow Superfeet or another footbed that you find comfortable. Also, when you bake the skates make sure to wear the socks that you intend to play in (the Easton and Bauer socks are both fine) and ideally if you get Superfeet or something else, then put those in the skates for the initial baking.

Edit: Finding a skate that fits your foot and is comfortable is much more important than buying a great skate that doesn't fit well. If you order online, do your best to try on that same skate locally. I did that with my Grafs and it worked out well for me.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 25, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I don't think you can find a skate too "high performance" for a beginner. The same things that make them beneficial to pros would be good for you too. The EQ5 would probably be a perfectly good skate for you but you shouldn't be choosing a skate based on % off, you need to try them on and see what brand/line feels right.

Boots get stiffer as the price goes up. A new skater could be in for a world of pain if he gets some pro level gear and it has absolutely no flex to it. He can probably fight through it but there is some justification for getting cheaper skates early on.

That said, I tried on some EQ50's in the new model year, and they felt great. I ended up buying EQ40's because I couldn't justify $550.. but the EQ50's did feel good. Fit was more or less the same, but the EQ50 has more padding on the inside than the EQ40.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I came in here to say the exact same thing bewbies said. Most of the skates on überclearance will be no return/no exchange. I would highly recommend staying away from buying an unknown pair of skates online, even if you're kinda-sorta-maybe sure they're the same things you tried on at the local shop down the way.

I would recommend buying your first pair at a local shop.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
This is probably a long shot but I may as well ask. Is there anybody in Edmonton that needs a player on their team, or a regular sub? I'm getting bored of not playing hockey and I should have signed up for a summer team...

I'm crappy but not horrible, so if you play in a lower div I'm your man!

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Sexy Randal posted:

This is probably a long shot but I may as well ask. Is there anybody in Edmonton that needs a player on their team, or a regular sub? I'm getting bored of not playing hockey and I should have signed up for a summer team...

I'm crappy but not horrible, so if you play in a lower div I'm your man!

Somebody take him up on this, playing with Scott Gomez is a cool thought.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I would recommend buying your first pair at a local shop.

And based on my experiences the last 6 months, visit EVERY shop you can reasonably drive to. Try every brand in the store, as well. Schedule to hang out for 2 hours, and don't let them talk you into believing that heat treating will fix all issues.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely buy my first pair locally. I hit two shops on my way home, they both carried basically only Bauer skates, and one is the "official flyers blah blah blah pro shop." needless to say I was more than a little disappointed.

Quick question about appropriate fit, I'm a shoe size 10.5 and really fell in love with how the vapor 7.0s felt in a 9 (compared to the Supremes at the same size), toe was just barely touching the cap and it felt snug all around except for right where the side of the ball of my foot is, where there was some pressure. When you bake a skate where in the skate do the dimensions change? Should i expect that to be corrected after heating or consider a larger size?

Still going to do more shopping around, just that the two proshop workers weren't very helpful regarding proper fit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cenzo posted:

When you bake a skate where in the skate do the dimensions change? Should i expect that to be corrected after heating or consider a larger size?

Not significantly. The underlying structure is going to be the same, and if you heat treat it until it fits, over time the skate is going to want to return to the factory shape. Heat treating will ease pressure points but it can't make the wrong skate fit.

Keep in mind it might not be a size thing.. every manufacturer has a different foot mold and it's possible their mold does not match your foot. I had rubbing on the ball of my foot with Vapors too.. I think their toe area is just a little bit too straight and doesn't follow the contours of the foot as well.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely buy my first pair locally. I hit two shops on my way home, they both carried basically only Bauer skates, and one is the "official flyers blah blah blah pro shop." needless to say I was more than a little disappointed.

Quick question about appropriate fit, I'm a shoe size 10.5 and really fell in love with how the vapor 7.0s felt in a 9 (compared to the Supremes at the same size), toe was just barely touching the cap and it felt snug all around except for right where the side of the ball of my foot is, where there was some pressure. When you bake a skate where in the skate do the dimensions change? Should i expect that to be corrected after heating or consider a larger size?

Still going to do more shopping around, just that the two proshop workers weren't very helpful regarding proper fit

Sizing depends on the brand of skates..A good shop should have one of these:

For each manufacturer

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

gigabitnokie, I have a random question for you that I don't want to clutter up the thread with, but you don't have PM. Shoot me an email at zambonirodeo at gmail.com if you would be so kind! Thanks.

Sent!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

Somebody take him up on this, playing with Scott Gomez is a cool thought.

I LOL'd

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Welp, raided the Hockeymonkey clearance rack today. I've been needing new gloves and elbow pads for a while now.

Nike Bauer Pro Lightspeed elbow pads; they were $85 or so when they came out, they're selling now for $50 and they had my size which is rare for clearance stuff (as I am normal sized in every way). Also lol Nike Bauer, in 10 years I'll be telling young whippersnappers about this strange failed marriage just like now I tell them that there used to be a company called "Cooper".

Also got One95 gloves for a whopping $84. It was around $230-240 worth of gear (2 years ago) for $145 shipped. :coal:

They also have a super deal going on right now with Eagle gloves, 30% off a ton of clearance stuff. I didn't find anything I wanted but there is some quality crap in there if you need gloves.

If you need shinguards, they have the RBK 10k shinguard going for $80 with some normal sizes available (14" and 16"), you won't find a better shinguard anywhere, let alone for that price. If I needed to replace my old Centurions I'd be all over it, I almost did anyway just because.

Finally the Easton S17 skates are in a sweet spot right now, they're literally half price and there are still plenty of normal sizes out there, they're worth looking at if you need new skates.

This concludes info gathered from the last 4 hours of browsing hockey gear sites.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I'll second those 10k shinguards again, I took a wicked slapper in the leg and seriously never noticed the impact other then a thump and a bit of vibration out of the pad as it bounced around in it's suspension system.

You can also remove the padding and throw it in the washer or whatever it's just velcro'd in there.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

Also lol Nike Bauer, in 10 years I'll be telling young whippersnappers about this strange failed marriage just like now I tell them that there used to be a company called "Cooper".
As far as I'm concerned, it was a successful marriage. I got some sweet deals on One75 goal pads and One95 sticks. I'm happy. I actually like seeing the Nike logo on stuff. Reminds me to "just do it."

Bewbies posted:

Also got One95 gloves for a whopping $84. It was around $230-240 worth of gear (2 years ago) for $145 shipped. :coal:
Let me/us know how those gloves are. I've been thinking about buying them. They seem to get mixed reviews, so I held off.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So...our team gets a second crack at the championship since playoffs are double-elimination and we only lost our last game. :dance: Game two is...

this Sunday?!? So of course I'm going to miss my first game of the season. Seriously. Who the gently caress schedules a championship hockey game on loving Memorial Day weekend???

:negative:

(Sorry, I just had to let this out somewhere)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bought a shooting pad, a goal, and ten pucks this week for like 200 bucks shipped. I'm gonna spend my whole summer at home shooting every day to try to get better.

gotta get to that gladwell 10000000000 hours or whatever it is so i can go pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

They also have a super deal going on right now with Eagle gloves, 30% off a ton of clearance stuff. I didn't find anything I wanted but there is some quality crap in there if you need gloves.

Nice sale on those Eagle gloves.

I'm still trying to find straight-up yellow gloves, but haven't had any luck in about 6 months of looking. It seems my only option is to do the custom Warrior thing, but I can't justify dropping $240 on gloves :(