Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Going to Wendyhouse in Leeds tomorrow, never been before. How poo poo is it from a scale of Pop to Noise?

If no one answers, I would be interested in a poo poo/not poo poo trip report, since I'm heading down to visit a friend and go out there next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Anybody want 2 tickets to the NYC FLA show? Stuff came up, so they're up for grabs. They're in PDF form from ticketweb, and it says in the email that you don't need to be the one who bought them to get in with 'em, so I can just forward the email on.

Can't get a refund or anything, so I may as well give them to someone who will use them. PM me or email me at tentaclesex @ the email service everyone uses unless they're some weirdo stuck in the 90s.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Apparently a gentleman called Brian Gardner, who's mastered about a trillion billion albums in his time. Funny, you'd think a guy who's been mastering for like fifty loving years would know his poo poo? Or maybe it was what FLA wanted?

I'd guess the latter. FLA has never exactly been known for their dynamics so I wouldn't be surprised if this was what Leeb asked for.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

quote:

@_mindinabox: Our equipment is lost and we are trying to do everything to play for you today at KInetik Festival.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

edit: from their Facebook page, it appears that British Airways lost their equipment.

http://www.facebook.com/mindinabox.official

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Could be worse, after one of their recent tours the Cruxshadows came out of a restaurant to find their vehicles broken into and all their equipment stolen.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MIAB are lucky the airline lost the luggage. Montreal is famous for bands losing their gear.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=gear+stolen+in+montreal

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If no one answers, I would be interested in a poo poo/not poo poo trip report, since I'm heading down to visit a friend and go out there next month.

Haha well, hm.

Wendyhouse is split into two rooms, one of which is like goth rock, 80s rock and synth and any old poo poo. The other room is closer (they call it the "Mutate" room lmao) to the kind of thing we want, so I just stayed in there most of the night.

On a scale of Pop to Noise I'd say that Wendyhouse is Aggro at best but mostly hovers around hard dance. I mean they played the usual poo poo like Noisuf-X and X-RX, but at one point played a Scooter track. It all went tits-up about about an hour before the end as they started to play dubstep and D&B. Infact I did watch all of the cybers leave at that point, as did I.

The room is pretty small as expected, but just big enough for the numbers of people dancing. Lots of seats and stuff for chilling on and the bar isn't terrible.

I'll say that if you're going to go out of your way for an industrial night it's probably not a very good place to go, but if you just want some fun for a few hours it's worth it. I recommend going drunk though, it made it much less disappointing.

I'll prolly go again at some point.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

but at one point played a Scooter track

you had me at jumpstyle

I'm actually going down to visit friends, and whilst there taking advantage of a city with a night that might actually have some tracks I haven't heard a million times at my local, to be honest :v:

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm reposting this from the NIN thread because I think people here might find it as hilarious to listen to as I did to make it -- my DJ mix from Kinetik: Industrial v. Hip Hop!

Featuring PWEI, Cubanate, NIN, Public Enemy, Pharcyde, Dead Prez, and more!

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.

Twiin posted:

DJ mix from Kinetik: Industrial v. Hip Hop!

This is fantastic. I wasn't sure I was going to like it given the Soulja boy presents, but drat was I wrong.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Haha I listened to that earlier because Caustic retweeted it. I really enjoyed it! I've always appreciated hip hop on some level so it was pretty much perfect for me.

Anything with Cynanotic gets my vote.

Also you've introduced me to mixcrate.com which was nice of you.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hip-hop and industrial share a lot of DNA. They're also the only two genres of music that I listen to, so this poo poo is right up my alley.

I think a less jokey approach to it could yield some excellent results, though I appreciate what you were going for here and find it fun. :)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I think a less jokey approach to it could yield some excellent results

The most serious approach: click here to witness the strength of street knowledge

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

The most serious approach: click here to witness the strength of street knowledge

Goddam, I didn't think anyone else remembered this.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hip-hop and industrial share a lot of DNA. They're also the only two genres of music that I listen to, so this poo poo is right up my alley.

I think a less jokey approach to it could yield some excellent results, though I appreciate what you were going for here and find it fun. :)

There was Operation Beatbox which was all hip hop covers by industrial bands. Some good stuff, some ehhh.
Not much on youtube, which surprises me. Colla Destra's Wicked is pretty good, and the Society Burning track was decent, iirc. Gonna have to get it out of storage.

edit: Here, have this Clay People - Jump Around

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

boo_radley posted:

There was Operation Beatbox which was all hip hop covers by industrial bands. Some good stuff, some ehhh.
Not much on youtube, which surprises me. Colla Destra's Wicked is pretty good, and the Society Burning track was decent, iirc. Gonna have to get it out of storage.

Haha I loving love Clay People.

And there's always the classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-gGYaA8F0

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Twiin, that was awesome. Great to edit miab/FLA photos to. Unfortunately I have 835 shots to cull.

I took this video of mind.in.a.box - Stalkers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyklrxVpW4E

Unfortunately I haven't worked out sound recording on my replacement camera yet :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

boo_radley posted:

I always enjoyed the Battery cover of "Gangsta's Paradise" off that compilation, if only for being quite far removed from the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr2Wm7yPlw

Arguably, it's a different aesthetic than what you would come to expect from an "industrial covers" compilation. Still. Quite fun.

Was it Cleopatra that was notorious for releasing excrementable compilations of covers from bands on their roster?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

hatelull posted:

Was it Cleopatra that was notorious for releasing excrementable compilations of covers from bands on their roster?

Yep! Your one-stop shop for half-assed Electric Hellfire Club and Razed in Black covers of totally inappropriate material!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hatelull posted:

Here's the absolute low point of their "tributes" discs:The Carnival Within: A Tribute to Dead Can Dance.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yep! Your one-stop shop for half-assed Electric Hellfire Club and Razed in Black covers of totally inappropriate material!

I can't get enough of Inkubus Sukkubus covering Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

On a serious note, Razed in Black played his Everything's Gone Green cover during the Triton Festival and it was amazing. I actually do enjoy the majority of his covers.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I used to own a couple those tribute discs and they are uniformly terrible. Most of the time the cover only vaguely resembles the original song.

There were a couple songs on the early tributes that are probably worth a listen on YouTube, like Psychic TV's cover of Set The Controls, and Download's cover of Download (the SP song).

P.M.F.
May 6, 2007

Do as I say, not as I do.
Just came across this, apparently Portal 2's soundtrack was released for free. The thing sounds like i'd fit in here pretty well.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Twiin posted:

I'm reposting this from the NIN thread because I think people here might find it as hilarious to listen to as I did to make it -- my DJ mix from Kinetik: Industrial v. Hip Hop!

I caught the second half of your set on Sunday and it rocked, sucks that I wasn't able to see Iszoloscope because of the ticket-line shenanigans. I think I used pretty much my worst possible dance moves in the 2nd room, my only defense is that I was four+ beers in at that point in the night.

You know if there's any truth to the rumor about drama :rolleyes: keeping Ronan out of Bruderschaft's set? I have to admit, they were about 80 times better than I was expecting, and I was expecting them to be awesome(ly hilarious, probably).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Download's cover of Download (the SP song).

Is it still a cover if guy in the cover band helped write the song they're covering?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

somethingwicked posted:

I can't get enough of Inkubus Sukkubus covering Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

On a serious note, Razed in Black played his Everything's Gone Green cover during the Triton Festival and it was amazing. I actually do enjoy the majority of his covers.

Razed does awesome covers. I love the Disintegration that he does. I wish he'd tour the US again.. Other than Florida that is. Colorado always get's skipped.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Photos from FLA/miab on Monday. Hope nobody minds a photospew. FLA photos should be done by the weekend.

Cyanotic

mind.in.a.box

DJ Acucrack?

Conjure One

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

P.M.F. posted:

Just came across this, apparently Portal 2's soundtrack was released for free. The thing sounds like i'd fit in here pretty well.

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

It's incredible as well, instead of just taking the bits of music loops that comprised the music in the game they've made proper songs out of them, extending them where appropriate etc. I can't wait for the next 2 volumes.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Is it still a cover if guy in the cover band helped write the song they're covering?

I don't know, ask Raymond Watts for covering Disobedience on the KMFDM tribute album (which, unsurprisingly, was the only good song).

That Hymns of the Worlock album was so godawful.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I don't know, ask Raymond Watts for covering Disobedience on the KMFDM tribute album (which, unsurprisingly, was the only good song).

That Hymns of the Worlock album was so godawful.

Agreed. Arguably, the remix album the Pups themselves put out wasn't much better. However, perhaps the Rhys Fulber and Gunter remixes were better appreciated here than in the extremely snotty puppy forum. I sort of enjoyed the Autchere remix, simply for being what it is.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Agreed. Arguably, the remix album the Pups themselves put out wasn't much better. However, perhaps the Rhys Fulber and Gunter remixes were better appreciated here than in the extremely snotty puppy forum. I sort of enjoyed the Autchere remix, simply for being what it is.

The Autechre remix wasn't bad yeah, and actually that Gunter remix was pretty good. It was actually one of the first Skinny Puppy songs I'd heard. Yes I'm probably much younger than most the posters in this thread.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bill Leeb is motherfucking awesome.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Twiin posted:

2 minutes in. holy f. Rap/hip-hop is basically the best and most fun genre to remix. i love this.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A really interesting interview with Ogre. They cover a lot of stuff, including Undeveloped, the upcoming Puppy album (it's 100% finished and just needs to be put out), horror movies, Ogre's interest in acting, living as an artist...

Been on a big SP and FLA kick lately. I'm afraid that the second I get paid and get my university entrance exams out of the way I'm gonna have to spend a loving terrifying amount of money on CDs.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 30, 2011

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

A really interesting interview with Ogre. They cover a lot of stuff, including Undeveloped, the upcoming Puppy album (it's 100% finished and just needs to be put out), horror movies, Ogre's interest in acting, living as an artist...

Cool interview. It is good to hear the big industrial musicians are still making it by.. I mean it's not 1990 anymore and when you hear rumors like Raymond Watts is doing hot tar roofing you gotta worry how some of them are eating lunch let alone producing a new studio album.

On the Litany msg board Mark Walk recently said something like "Why wait till after a show to meet your favorite industrial musicians when you can meet them as Wallmart greeters?". This was in reference to illegal downloading and how it has affected alot of artists especially with industrial being in middle ground, as in not needing to make a name for themselves, yet at the same time not playing arena shows.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

On the Litany msg board Mark Walk recently said something like "Why wait till after a show to meet your favorite industrial musicians when you can meet them as Wallmart greeters?". This was in reference to illegal downloading and how it has affected alot of artists especially with industrial being in middle ground, as in not needing to make a name for themselves, yet at the same time not playing arena shows.

Maybe if industrial hadn't shown us practically everything it had to show us by 1992 that wouldn't be the case.

Also, lots of artists work dayjobs. Marilyn Manson was working a dayjob until Antichrist Superstar came out, and I'm sure there are tons more.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe if industrial hadn't shown us practically everything it had to show us by 1992 that wouldn't be the case.

Also, lots of artists work dayjobs. Marilyn Manson was working a dayjob until Antichrist Superstar came out, and I'm sure there are tons more.

Yeah, this isn't about downloading. This is about making music in a genre that's peaked drat near 20 years ago. Honestly they're lucky they've had such a devoted scene to prop them up so long. How many New Wave bands were flipping burgers in the nineties?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Yeah? I wouldn't know as I was born early 80's so until the late 90's I never really new industrial existed and even then was never into any music scene or dare I use the word, trend.

I guess I've always been under the assumption that it's been a cult-driven genre and not really a mainstream, nor profitable thing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Got Civilization by FLA in the post today and listened to it on the way to work.

Welp. You win, Leeb. That must've been one of the best albums I've ever heard, at least on the first listen. Holy poo poo, I can't wait to get back home to listen to this motherfucker again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Considering it came out after Epitaph it made most FLA fans breathe a sigh of relief. I remember not being overly impressed by it at the time, although I don't think I had hyped myself up for an album more than I had that one (only time I've ever put an album release on a calendar.)

I think it's a better album now than I did when it first came out. Probably thanks to IED :laffo:

Interestingly the best (IMO) song from that album era, Sturm, is a B-side on the Vanished single. Worth grabbing. Infact all the tracks on that single are brilliant, Uncivilised is mindblowing.