Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Here is the full call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WYN1eJJ5g

Rush is worried about the future of this country.
Meanwhile, let me spout racial and hateful poo poo in the present! That'll help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
I don't think Howard listened to a word Kevin Bacon said during the interview this morning.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Howard getting fired up about Sirius can only be a good thing. I really hope his relationship with the company falls apart. Part of what has been missing for much of the Sirius years has been 'The big evil entity' (NBC, FCC, CBS) that keeps Howard angry and energetic.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

burmart posted:

I don't think Howard listened to a word Kevin Bacon said during the interview this morning.

For serious - I probably shouldn't have been shocked that Howard didn't know the plot of Animal House. But then, as Kevin was explaining about the different casts for the frat houses, Howard was just not understanding.

Did anyone hear Robin joke with Kevin about a love child, being away from Kyra so much? Funny thing about that: January Jones is pregnant, and won't say who the father is. It's been widely reported that it's one of the married men in the X-Men cast from this movie, which she is in also.

Kt88 posted:

Howard getting fired up about Sirius can only be a good thing. I really hope his relationship with the company falls apart. Part of what has been missing for much of the Sirius years has been 'The big evil entity' (NBC, FCC, CBS) that keeps Howard angry and energetic.

Angry Howard is the best Howard. He's just kind of coasting along without anything to focus on except organizing his photos which I think harms the show.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Wow not a single comment about the Brian Johnson interview yesterday? I thought it was really good

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

scapulataf posted:

As far as the smoking thing goes, as a smoker myself, I don't really care that I can't smoke in bars and other indoor places but I think that the outdoors thing is a little too much. Keep in mind, this is my opinion and I'm in no way trying to start poo poo. That being said, in a city like New York, I'd guess that cars, trucks and busses contribute far more pollution than smokers do.

Do you think it's an affront to your Constitutional rights like that caller yesterday?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Streebs posted:

Wow not a single comment about the Brian Johnson interview yesterday? I thought it was really good

Hence why there was no comments.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

burmart posted:

Wll, it's not like he's an interesting guest, like Joan Rivers...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Chris Rock said it best with 'if I had to talk on the radio for 4 hours a day I'd say some hosed up poo poo too.'

I try to remember that when I get annoyed by a bit or something in general on radio shows.

I know some goons used to post collections of people like Eric the Midget, does anyone have a collection of Chris Rock clips? I'd love to listen to him bust Howard's chops.

Does Chris Rock even go on the Stern show anymore?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Corbet posted:

He was on a few weeks ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

musclecoder posted:

He was on a few weeks ago.

I guess that shows how much I pay attention anymore. I should track it down.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Corbet posted:

I know some goons used to post collections of people like Eric the Midget, does anyone have a collection of Chris Rock clips? I'd love to listen to him bust Howard's chops.

YES! I would love a collection of all of Chris Rock's interviews!

I also really enjoyed the AC/DC guy... very entertaining.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

MrMidnight posted:

Hence why there was no comments.

Yeah I guess you're right. There's only so much you can say about a good interview as evidenced by my 1 line post saying "gee whiz guys that was a good interview" Yes, and?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
That King call is great, I love how everything Rush lists is not Obama's fault. King of All Blacks > Rush

What percentage of Rush's audience knew who that was? .001% ? Did they talk about this on the Stern show?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Streebs posted:

I thought it was really good

I liked the part where the guy who often plays outdoor concerts that can be heard from blocks away and normally ends with cannons being fired complained about people with loud car stereos.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Corbet posted:

This is a great idea!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Butthole Prince posted:

Do you think it's an affront to your Constitutional rights like that caller yesterday?

That's really not the issue. It's just howard being a loving massive hypocrite again. He's ok with the government ruling on taste...when it's against his tastes. People not happy with the very reasonable bans on indoor smoking now cry because gee "why are all these people standing outside smoking". They don't like it and find it in bad taste and want it banned.

What parallel can we draw to howards career out of that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

To be clear, they haven't banned ALL outdoor smoking in NYC, just in public places where people congregate (and eat). The specific places are marked.

I agree that this is slightly draconian, but at the same time, if you live in a huge, crowded city, you have to make accommodations for your fellow citizens. if you want unrestricted outdoor smoking, move out to the burbs.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Someone at SFN found court documents for Howard's suit. VERY loving interesting!

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=650762-2011

Summary: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=tirVQewp3Wvw/+x6+C2WyA==&system=prod

Howard's Contract: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=tirVQewp3Wt47A9P1eSrMA==&system=prod

Peter North fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 26, 2011

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I use to live in NYC and smoked and would never think about lighting up while sitting around people who obviously dont smoke, regardless of being outside. However, I dont see an issue with walking around one of the parks and having a smoke.
Personally I think the larger issue with smoking in the city is the dozens of people who crowd the doors to the building having their smokes.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

It's pretty obvious that it's going to come down to whether the definition of "Sirius Subscriber" means XM Subscribers. My gut says no. I think of XM and Sirius as two separate products, even if owned by the same company. For example, you can't get MLB games on Sirius and you can't get both broadcasts of the football games on XM. Because it's just flat out not possible to get these things on the opposing service, I think they're separate things.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
The "Production Expenses" section on page 6 is interesting. I wonder who gets to decide how that "production expense" budget is allocated. It seems like it suggests Stern would, an thus Stern really does influence what his people are paid.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Interestingly, Howard gets a cut of advertising revenue. This isn't news, I know...but seeing it in black and white annoys me. He's been taking a lot more commercial breaks in the last couple years.

Also, on the page with the XM merger info, there is a declaration that the HSS once available to the other service will see Howard getting money for that. So...

- He gets money if they merge since his programs will be available to a new audience.

- These people on the other service must subscribe to the Best of Sirius in order to hear him. Does he get a cut of these subs as part of his performance incentives?

He could get paid twice on those subs.

burmart posted:

The "Production Expenses" section on page 6 is interesting. I wonder who gets to decide how that "production expense" budget is allocated. It seems like it suggests Stern would, an thus Stern really does influence what his people are paid.

I would think the producers of the show, his media company. They explicitly say 112 Media will produce it. So he would be directly responsible for the amount of money paid out to production.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm wondering if this will just settle out of court because I think Sirius will be forced to define what they consider a subscriber. Like someone said, they were counting unsold cars at one point.

This could also hurt their idea of the actual number of listeners to the HSS. At one point didn't they consider that 1 radio equaled three people that listened to the show?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'm wondering if this will just settle out of court because I think Sirius will be forced to define what they consider a subscriber. Like someone said, they were counting unsold cars at one point.

BINGO! I'm pretty sure that Stern's legal team knows this, which makes their strategy is essentially blackmail. I highly doubt that Sirius will let this go to trial for the reason above.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Howard actually needed a refresher on Animal House of all movies this morning. Come on, man!

And that KOAB call is pretty cool, too bad he didn't mention how his daddy still gives him money or ask Rush what label shirt he was wearing. Rush actually seemed flummoxed by the call, so good on King for that anyway.

edit: I've been meaning to ask in here, is there some place with a collection of the show's drops readily available for download?

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 26, 2011

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Kelly posted:

I would think the producers of the show, his media company. They explicitly say 112 Media will produce it. So he would be directly responsible for the amount of money paid out to production.
This is probably correct. Howard helps allocate how much total money is spent on producing the show, which includes salaries, but I don't think he individually works out contracts with people. He could if he wanted to take a more active role in getting his staff more money.

Just remember all those depressing "If Howard quits, I'm $10,000+ in debt and will likely end up a hobo or working for some lovely radio show" type of responses from staff people a few months ago.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I love Howard raging about country music. I can't stand it either, but I'm reminded of when he worked at the country station and Imus' stupid cowboy hat. That hat is just so loving stupid.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
^^^^ I had to drive through Detroit last week and while flipping stations, found that WWWW is still country.

Korak posted:

This is probably correct. Howard helps allocate how much total money is spent on producing the show, which includes salaries, but I don't think he individually works out contracts with people. He could if he wanted to take a more active role in getting his staff more money.

Just remember all those depressing "If Howard quits, I'm $10,000+ in debt and will likely end up a hobo or working for some lovely radio show" type of responses from staff people a few months ago.

Everyone has a contract with or is employed by Sirius. Can you imagine if Howard was in charge of salaries? Sal would never leave the guy alone and follow him around 24/7 about why he needs more money.

I don't feel sorry for anyone that works there. Howard is nearly 60 years old, has been talking retirement for years, and now works 2 days a week. If they can't see the writing on the wall and start to look for a better job it's their own fault.

Yes everyone there loves what they are doing and it's a low paying job. Radio has always been (at least in the last 10 years) a lovely paying job unless you are on air talent or a producer for a syndicated show.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
How do we know that it's a low paying job? In this thread it seems like everyone just assumes the people who work on the Stern show get paid poo poo. Yeah JD has a small apartment but it's loving expensive to live in NYC. Plus we already know he blows his money on cam websites and strippers

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

And then Stern summarizes the birth of FOX News and how it's "genius and admirable," because if there's one thing that has never been tried before it's a controlled and manipulated press!

Who am I kidding, the best person to talk to about the news is Ben Stern.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Streebs posted:

How do we know that it's a low paying job? In this thread it seems like everyone just assumes the people who work on the Stern show get paid poo poo. Yeah JD has a small apartment but it's loving expensive to live in NYC. Plus we already know he blows his money on cam websites and strippers

I will see if I can find the clip, but I think it's $40k when Artie said he spent $40k on Robin's birthday party JD says something about that being close to what he makes in a year.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
E: ^^^^^^^^^^^ O.k., JD makes almost 40 Gs a year. I don't know where the gently caress I pulled 24 out of my stupid rear end.

Butthole Prince posted:

Well, since I don't even live in the U.S., to be honest I don't actually give that much of a gently caress. I don't really know enough about it to form an opinion anyway. I know that is not a total complete ban on smoking anywhere except in a lead lined bunker. My comment was more that he seemed so furious that "I'm going to get lung cancer tomorrow from breathing one breath of second hand smoke", but when confronted with the view that *maybe* cars and trucks and busses in the city might just produce more carcinogens than one smoker he seemed all "bllaaaarghh12@##@!!!! gently caress smokers!!!". I don't disagree that second hand smoke can cause ill effects for non-smokers, but it whe n he's pissed off he won't actually listen to someone else, even when they have a valid point. Though the guy who he was talking to didn't do a very good job of conveying that however.

TL;DR. I guess Howard was just being Howard.

streebs posted:

Does JD really get paid that little? Didn't I see someone post that he makes 24,000 a year? I make mid 40s per year (before taxes) and I live in an area with a high cost of living, though not as high as NYC. I'm *reasonably* comfortable but I'll never be able to afford a house here, I might be able to afford a small condo some day. I can't imagine how fuckin hard it must be for JD to get by. And with his personality, how the gently caress is he ever going to get a job after stern retires? I've got the feeling that the only reason Howard even gave him a job in the first place was because he probably thought "hey this guy is hosed, if I give him a job then I can totally gently caress with him, and he'll even make me look normal.

scapulataf fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 26, 2011

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
A lot of people talk take-home in informal settings so I'd probably wager JD makes $60K-70K before taxes.

It's either his take-home is $40K in which case he isn't broke in NYC but certainly not living the good life or he makes $40K before taxes in which case that $24K is his take-home and he's freaking dirt poor in that city. I imagine, given his descriptions of the money he's spent on cam whores, that it's the former and his salary is nowhere near as bad as some think. With $24K in NYC he's barely going to have enough for basic necessities and whatnot, no way he'd have all this disposable income lying around to spend on his various fetishes.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I will see if I can find the clip, but I think it's $40k when Artie said he spent $40k on Robin's birthday party JD says something about that being close to what he makes in a year.

Jesus loving Christ. I wouldn't want to have to survive in New York on that, I don't know how it's possible.

Howard gets $80,000,000 a year (that's what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong), how does he sleep at night. I mean yeah he built his career over a 25 or 30 year period but it's his loving support guys like JD and Sal and Richard and the other nood-nicks who loving help make the show great.

gently caress em I hope he doesn't get the extra money from XM or Sirius.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

scapulataf posted:

Well, since I don't even live in the U.S., to be honest I don't actually give that much of a gently caress. I don't really know enough about it to form an opinion anyway. I know that is not a total complete ban on smoking anywhere except in a lead lined bunker. My comment was more that he seemed so furious that "I'm going to get lung cancer tomorrow from breathing one breath of second hand smoke", but when confronted with the view that *maybe* cars and trucks and busses in the city might just produce more carcinogens than one smoker he seemed all "bllaaaarghh12@##@!!!! gently caress smokers!!!". I don't disagree that second hand smoke can cause ill effects for non-smokers, but it whe n he's pissed off he won't actually listen to someone else, even when they have a valid point. Though the guy who he was talking to didn't do a very good job of conveying that however.

TL;DR. I guess Howard was just being Howard.

This is a false equivalence.

And the guy didn't have a valid point. He tried to say that the public ban on smoking was unconstitutional because it limited his freedom. Howard gave other examples of limits to our freedom and the guy didn't have a response other then "Well that's dumb and wrong whatever DUDE."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the issue was the ridiculous attitude the caller had, where his "freedom" to respond to his habit's urges wherever he was unable to quell his childlike impulses was more important than the freedom non-smokers had to remain smoke-free in public gathering areas. Even if citing your ill-formed understanding of the Constitution weren't a retarded tack to take on a "I want to do something" issue, I honestly do not think the document upholds a citizen's desire to inhale carcinogens as a higher form of the quest for life, liberty & happiness over "I want to remain living and I take actions to do so".

Note: all uses of 'you' in this statment is the generic, 'you' directed at that caller. I don't think anyone here is really in vast disagreement on the issue, and I don't even have much of a problem with smokers smoking where they want to - I do enjoy trolling constitutional "scholars" however, who learned everything they know about civics from a Marlboro Rewards catalog.

Howard hit it on the head with the analogy of "Masturbation is legal, but you can't do it at the mall".

I don't think anyone on the un-smoking side of this issue wants to or feels it's reasonable to ban public smoking everywhere, simply in locations that are public gathering spots (such as the doorways to office buildings/restaurants/bars.)

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Howard hit it on the head with the analogy of "Masturbation is legal, but you can't do it at the mall".

No he didn't.

Would you rather, while pushing your baby in a stroller through town, pass a guy who is smoking or pass a guy who's jerking off in your baby's face?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Howard actually needed a refresher on Animal House of all movies this morning. Come on, man!

I really miss Artie on days like today. He could have recited every line from the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

chiz posted:

No he didn't.

Would you rather, while pushing your baby in a stroller through town, pass a guy who is smoking or pass a guy who's jerking off in your baby's face?

In what legal universe do you live where you have to choose one or the other?