Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

bagmonkey posted:

Because its really important to the state of EDM in America? Who gives a poo poo if the music isn't that great, no one is forcing you to see Justice or Deadmaufive. So just don't go and instead be happy that EDM is actually becoming more accepted in the States.

Well, considering EDM is one of the great indigenous American art forms in the first place, it seems somewhat preposterous to place that much importance on a couple of bad French DJs in an American context. And furthermore, I'm not from the States and the American dance music I enjoy has little to do with electro-house, so again, their popularity among dumb rock kids is of absolutely no relevance to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
Thanks a lot, Diplo.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

Well, considering EDM is one of the great indigenous American art forms in the first place, it seems somewhat preposterous to place that much importance on a couple of bad French DJs in an American context. And furthermore, I'm not from the States and the American dance music I enjoy has little to do with electro-house, so again, their popularity among dumb rock kids is of absolutely no relevance to me.

Well then you don't understand that outside a few hubs across the United States, EDM is kind of hard to come by. Because of the "bad French DJs", more talent is starting to pop up in college towns and I'm seeing more events in parts of Michigan that no promoter would've touched 4-5 years ago. EDM might have been heavily influenced by Americans, but its still not fully accepted by our country, like it is in Europe.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Well then you don't understand that outside a few hubs across the United States, EDM is kind of hard to come by. Because of the "bad French DJs", more talent is starting to pop up in college towns and I'm seeing more events in parts of Michigan that no promoter would've touched 4-5 years ago. EDM might have been heavily influenced by Americans, but its still not fully accepted by our country, like it is in Europe.

Lol "talent"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Looks like I didn't miss much by not hitting up the club with Skerrit from Major Lazer. Looks like it was total poo poo.

Thanks for convincing me to save my cash, thread.

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Well, considering EDM is one of the great indigenous American art forms in the first place, it seems somewhat preposterous to place that much importance on a couple of bad French DJs in an American context.
joel is canadian

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Looks like I didn't miss much by not hitting up the club with Skerrit from Major Lazer. Looks like it was total poo poo.

Thanks for convincing me to save my cash, thread.

throwed is actually the worst thing, so yes, you dodged a major bullet

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ras Het posted:

Why would I care about that? It's bad music, and as far as I'm concerned the whole niche's impact on music has been net negative by a huge margin.

Because people develop a taste for less-accessible music via more-accessible music. Today's bloghouse fan is tomorrow's deep tech house head.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Extract from an upcoming Danger track.

http://soundcloud.com/stopthenoise/danger-9h19-preview

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Civilization got its own video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVq2yMuAMVQ

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Chitin posted:

Because people develop a taste for less-accessible music via more-accessible music. Today's bloghouse fan is tomorrow's deep tech house head.

I totally agree with this. We all heard deadmau5 before gui boratto, its just the most likely chain of events.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Furnace posted:

NEW EDC TRAILER TO LAUGH AT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDd-V4zxI4

Dude in the background at 1:03 has literally the best hairstyle I've ever seen, I'm in awe

e: what's so bad about bloghouse/electro house? not rhetorical, honest question

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 27, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Chitin posted:

Longtiem posted:

I totally agree with this. We all heard deadmau5 before gui boratto, its just the most likely chain of events.

Sure, but something like Justice, Boys Noize or Skritsiksion (cos I see the American dubstep scene as kinda part of the same aesthetic) are only more accessible than most other popular subgenres of EDM if you're a rock 'n' roll kid who thinks every song needs to have something resembling electric guitars. And, I mean, why do you even need that kind of route to dig some classic dance music? If someone tells me they're interested in reggae, I don't make them listen to UB40, Snow and Legend. For my part, I got into techno/house thanks to my friend making me listen to Joey Beltram's Classics comp. And, uhh, that was before 2008, so yeah I can say I heard Gui Boratto before Deadmau5. I'd have a hard time picking which one of them is more boring and awful though, so it's not an elitism ting I don't think.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkhewd69SE

massive tune

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

The Fresh Prince posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkhewd69SE

massive tune

this is cool

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ras Het posted:

Sure, but something like Justice, Boys Noize or Skritsiksion (cos I see the American dubstep scene as kinda part of the same aesthetic) are only more accessible than most other popular subgenres of EDM if you're a rock 'n' roll kid who thinks every song needs to have something resembling electric guitars. And, I mean, why do you even need that kind of route to dig some classic dance music? If someone tells me they're interested in reggae, I don't make them listen to UB40, Snow and Legend. For my part, I got into techno/house thanks to my friend making me listen to Joey Beltram's Classics comp. And, uhh, that was before 2008, so yeah I can say I heard Gui Boratto before Deadmau5. I'd have a hard time picking which one of them is more boring and awful though, so it's not an elitism ting I don't think.

It's ok not to like things. But don't be a dick about the things you don't like.

Osh
Jan 5, 2007
Say, Halo my Quake 3 in Bungie for Half-Life 2!

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Extract from an upcoming Danger track.

http://soundcloud.com/stopthenoise/danger-9h19-preview

Thanks for the heads up.

El Negocio posted:

Civilization got its own video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVq2yMuAMVQ

I'm almost afraid to say it in the middle of all this Justice hating, but this is actually a pretty drat good music video.

Osh fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 28, 2011

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity

Ras Het posted:

I def see what you're saying but a whole generation of north american rock kids are gonna grow up sooner or later and realize chainsaw electrohouse and lfo-wob dubstep is the equivalent of edm's nu-metal and start getting into real poo poo, and that owns owns owns

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Volvagia posted:

I def see what you're saying but a whole generation of north american rock kids are gonna grow up sooner or later and realize chainsaw electrohouse and lfo-wob dubstep is the equivalent of edm's nu-metal and start getting into real poo poo, and that owns owns owns

and this post is so drat right. Its a gateway drug. Once someone says "Oh that Deadmouse guy", you can start introducing them to stuff thats now more accessible. It definitely works, my sister has been enjoying the Soul Clap essential mix this week, and probably never would have if she hadn't found lovely electro house.

Regardless, I'm going to DEMF for the whole weekend to forget about genres and just enjoy the hell outta life.

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Longtiem posted:

Chitin posted:

All I'm seeing here is "awful music is a gateway to equally awful yet slightly more obscure music"

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Chitin posted:

This is exactly what 90% of people in this thread fail to realize. Welcome to the internet.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
If you accept that awful music will get you into better music, maybe that says more about your ability to distinguish what the difference are.

People don't need to listen to deadmau5 in order to get into more obscure and less-known, yet still appealing to their musical tastes, but it just seems to work that way sometimes.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
If anything, take this, people are not static and thus we aren't going to have the same tastes or interests in music, foods, or anything else. DJs like Deadmau5, Tiesto, and many other 'mainstream' EDM DJs are only a conduit to grab people into the genre. Are they generic, simple, and noticeably produced with much less effort than a lot of other DJs? YES! Yes a million times over, but it does not necessarily that their music is 'bad' or 'un-listenable' to someone who is not a EDM 'guru'.

They are a medium for people to explore new music, and if you can't appreciate that, then you have no business discussing this genre, or music for that matter.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't think stupid chainsaw dubstep is acting like a gateway to anything. The people who listen to it don't even acknowledge that regular dubstep is infact dubstep, cause it sounds so far apart. Pendulum is a good example of this because while a few people might have actually got onto other DnB for it (helps that it actually sounded like other DnB too), still most people were mostly rock or pop fans who just say that it's 'the only good DnB' instead.

That's what it seems like to me anyway. As for the genre in question i don't know anyone that's moved from mainstream house onto deeper stuff, they just stick with any half-popular newish tracks, if it's SHM/Justice/Deadmau5 whoever.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
http://www.taletela.com/news/6878/swedish-house-mafia-accuse-music-producers-of-raping-house-music

hmm yes redone is raping house music please listen to our supercheese trance song that is not raping house music

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

melee beats posted:

http://www.taletela.com/news/6878/swedish-house-mafia-accuse-music-producers-of-raping-house-music

hmm yes redone is raping house music please listen to our supercheese trance song that is not raping house music

That's pretty outlandish, but then again so many of these guys have a pretty tenuous connection with reality because of their lifestyle/fame so I'm not surprised.

Also, that Save the World Video, with all the animals and poo poo.....lmao

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl
What's the deal with him implying that filter disco had a negative impact on house music? I'm not a big fan of that stuff but it was very much in the house tradition and had a lot of history in it, which SHM most definitely doesn't...they're barely even house to begin with.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Disco is pretty deeply rooted in house but I don't think that is what he's talking about, I think he's saying that it took a turn for the worst when everyone started doing it

Which is a far more retarded statement to make

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Also deadmau5, Justice, and SHM bros that are into electronic music are the loving worst. They're the ones that listen to La La Land and say dj green velvet sucks.

ANTIMISANDRIST
Apr 14, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Personally some of those super commercial post-Daft Punk bandwagon house tunes are some of the most fondly remembered music from my youth. I mean who couldn't love this or this?! Maybe it's cheesy but at least it's not trance :I

ANTIMISANDRIST fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 27, 2011

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ANTIMISANDRIST posted:

Personally some of those super commercial post-Daft Punk house tunes are some of the most fondly remembered music from my youth. I mean who couldn't love this or this?! Maybe it's cheesy but at least it's not trance :I

Disco Babes remix of Don't Call Me Baby is a classic - like a lot of the other mid-tier tracks that came out around that time. Groovejet, Moloko, basically all of that stuff runs circles around any of the super boring prog stuff that is coming out

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Alright so I'm getting back into this house genre and I've fallen in love with Fear of Tigers. However, them having only 1 album leaves me wanting more. What other artists are like Fear of Tigers?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I read this thread so I can listen to some cool music, now I'm somehow a worse person for liking Justice? :smith:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Alright so I'm getting back into this house genre and I've fallen in love with Fear of Tigers. However, them having only 1 album leaves me wanting more. What other artists are like Fear of Tigers?
Just making sure you are aware of his podcast. I'm a big fan:
http://soundcloud.com/fearoftigers

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Law posted:

I read this thread so I can listen to some cool music, now I'm somehow a worse person for liking Justice? :smith:

If you base what music you like by what other people on the internet like, and then get annoyed/sad/whatever when they say "no i don't like that band/dj" then that's your fault not theirs for caring about something so dumb instead of just enjoying what you enjoy, people still have the right to post X dj is terrible because of Y though because its a valid opinion much like saying you like a certain dj or song.

Stop getting tetchy becuase someone slated your ~*~favourite dj~*~

Anyway youtubes:
Quite liked this from Beataucue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7KD72ah8mQ

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Hay, I made a mix last night, and I thought it was pretty bro, but I thought some people here would like it.

http://tinyurl.com/brolectro

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Everyones "favorite" crux record is finally dropping this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AksSOJh5ws&t=56s

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
nvm

colonp fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 28, 2011

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
lol swedish house mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The Fresh Prince posted:

lol swedish house mafia.

those motherfuckers had a party attended by like 15k people during WMC week, I can't understand how they have a fanbase