Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

stuph posted:

I wouldn't care either way with 5 years of experience. It's really in lieu of other experience.
This is why I wish people like you were in charge of screening resumes instead of HR departments. I'm coming up on 8 loving years of experience, but my resume is getting tossed in the trash most places because I've only got an Associates Degree. I'm in the middle of working to resolve that, but with a full time job, it's going to take me several years to get there.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Jones
Mar 6, 2007
Nerve Stapled

3spades posted:

Island Nation can you email me your resume to lennyz [AT] voxel.net . We have something in networking open.

Hey, I noticed Voxel has an opening for a Windows admin also, would you mind if I contacted you as well?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

brc64 posted:

This is why I wish people like you were in charge of screening resumes instead of HR departments. I'm coming up on 8 loving years of experience, but my resume is getting tossed in the trash most places because I've only got an Associates Degree. I'm in the middle of working to resolve that, but with a full time job, it's going to take me several years to get there.

:sigh:

Is it really that hard to find work with just experience? Don't you work with recruiters and stuff to help you get in the door?

I don't have any kind of degree or school past high school but when I was looking for work a few years ago I know that Amazon wanted me bad enough to basically harass me by phone for a couple months just based on 5 years experience. Maybe the problem is where you live? Your resume could use some touching up? It may just be a matter of getting in the habit of establishing a conversation with recruiters instead of just doing an email blast to try and find work?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Is it really that hard to find work with just experience? Don't you work with recruiters and stuff to help you get in the door?

I don't have any kind of degree or school past high school but when I was looking for work a few years ago I know that Amazon wanted me bad enough to basically harass me by phone for a couple months just based on 5 years experience. Maybe the problem is where you live? Your resume could use some touching up? It may just be a matter of getting in the habit of establishing a conversation with recruiters instead of just doing an email blast to try and find work?

I think you're the first person I've ever seen have a positive thing to say about recruiters. Most people seem to think they're slime. Is there a particular group you recommend?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

a few years ago
You're comparing wildly different job markets. I have exceptional qualifications, a bachelor's and have dropped my salary requirements by 20%. Not only is it difficult to get an interview, but the recruiters are often competing with one another over the same postings. There are also a ton of scammers and identity thieves that weren't out there back then.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Bob Jones posted:

Hey, I noticed Voxel has an opening for a Windows admin also, would you mind if I contacted you as well?

Feel free. You can fill the job posting direct from the site as well. Networking I needed to run by someone but any other site position can be filled direct. Just name drop me when they ask how you heard of us :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bort posted:

but the recruiters are often competing with one another over the same postings

Oh god, a local company opened a position, and the next day my Dice Job Alert has 9 new posting with the exact same job description from 9 different recruiter and contract companies. :wtc:

brc64 posted:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen have a positive thing to say about recruiters. Most people seem to think they're slime. Is there a particular group you recommend?

Recruiters are slime, mostly because they get paid a commission based on the salary of the person they hire. The crappy ones I know care about nothing but shoving a candidate into a company at the highest rate possible and getting their check. Our internal recruiters are OK, because they're company employees, but some of the external ones we deal with are worse than used car salesmen.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Reposting since Rackspace finally said no. Hoping there's goons at other places.

My experience: 5+ years of PHP & Javascript (less of Python and Perl), ~4 of Linux server admining
What I'm looking for: Pref. a programming job, otherwise server admin/combo of both
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk type work
Where I live: San Antonio, TX
Where I'm looking: San Antonio, TX
When I can start: Whenever
Requirements: Salaried with benefits
Can be reached via: ben@dq5studios.com
Resume available on request

bort
Mar 13, 2003

e: sorry, this isn't the "bitch about your job search" thread.

bort fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 27, 2011

duz
Jul 11, 2005

bort posted:

what the hell. How do they not need someone like you?

I made it through three interviews and a breakfix. I guess I must not have done how they wanted on the breakfix. Oddly, judging from HR's email subjects, the position they were interviewing me for changed three times.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

duz posted:

Reposting since Rackspace finally said no. Hoping there's goons at other places.

My experience: 5+ years of PHP & Javascript (less of Python and Perl), ~4 of Linux server admining
What I'm looking for: Pref. a programming job, otherwise server admin/combo of both
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk type work
Where I live: San Antonio, TX
Where I'm looking: San Antonio, TX
When I can start: Whenever
Requirements: Salaried with benefits
Can be reached via: ben@dq5studios.com
Resume available on request

You looking for PHP/Javascript programming? Any other languages? How familiar are you with RedHat based systems? (RHEL/CentOS).

We might have some opportunities in Austin.. We just have a call center here in San Antonio, we could really use a good PHP guy on our internal team, but I don't think there's any openings.

fakedit: There's a lot more San Antonio goons than I thought...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

brc64 posted:

I don't mean to imply that recruiters aren't slime, I'm just saying that sometimes you have to work with them. I've definitely gone on a few terrible interviews setup by recruiters that wanted to place a warm body. But I was mostly talking about working with recruiters for large companies like amazon and microsoft who have their in house guys who work to try and place you.

If you have the years of experience you should be able to use connections on linkedIn and friends who might work for those companies to get you in the door. I have had luck using dice.com and other sites like that in the past. However I've also helped people get interviews by contacting recruiters I've personally talked to in the past about work for myself.

I'm just saying that because I don't have any schooling whatsoever I've had to find ways to actually talk to someone so that I can get an interview. As opposed to having some HR drone filter me out because I don't match the criteria. (though I suppose that's what this thread is for)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

skipdogg posted:

You looking for PHP/Javascript programming? Any other languages? How familiar are you with RedHat based systems? (RHEL/CentOS).

We might have some opportunities in Austin.. We just have a call center here in San Antonio, we could really use a good PHP guy on our internal team, but I don't think there's any openings.

fakedit: There's a lot more San Antonio goons than I thought...

PHP/JS are what I feel I'm qualified to be paid for, I'm still working on learning other languages. Most of my server experience is on Debian based systems but I've used RH enough that it's not a mystery or anything. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to take a job in Austin at the moment unless it was mostly telecommuting or really amazingly awesome.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

3spades posted:

Island Nation can you email me your resume to lennyz [AT] voxel.net . We have something in networking open.

My email has been sent out to your inbox. Feel free to contact me if need be for any future questions.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Island Nation posted:

My email has been sent out to your inbox. Feel free to contact me if need be for any future questions.

Thanks man, I sent it to our ops manager. They'll give you a shout if make their cut.

E1M7
Aug 25, 2005

You can hear my music, in your pulse, faster and faster thumping... you are doomed.
My experience: Air Force Systems Programmer 1999-2002 in Fortran/C/C++ was dept Web Admin during my tenure on Solaris 8/Netscape Web Server. Scattershot of Tech Support roles since while keeping programming skills sharp by writing a note formatting application in VB6 for one company, Designed and SQL scripted a DB in Access and handling a lot of data errors with XML Parsing at another, in spare time I've been upkeeping a website in PHP and am in the process of building a homebrew CMS because my desire to code is just that great. Took courses on Java programming as part of my associates degree and have some partially built Java apps on my to do list to finish as well.

What I'm looking for: Programming position, anything that involves lots of time in front of code and away from a headset would be greatly appreciated, though internal support and server adminning are not out of the question(especially if I get to write scripts).
What I'm NOT looking for: No callcenter/phone only support roles, a decade of it is far too long.
Where I live: Omaha NE
Where I'm looking: Omaha NE(willing to look elsewhere if there is relocation assistance).
When I can start: 2 weeks notice from job offer.
Requirements: Full time, no contracting, Medical Benefits and least $45k annual.
Can be reached via: PM, admin@raginggeek.net
Full Interactive PHP/AJAX resume here: http://coder.raginggeek.net/resume.php

E1M7 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 29, 2011

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

Anyone from Long Island good with Linux, VMware and SAN? I'm leaving my position with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and I need someone to fill it.
This position is still open, along with two others.

quote:

Position Description
Senior Systems Engineer

CSHL is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer with expert skills in the areas of Linux systems engineering, SAN/NAS management, and VMware technologies. Candidates will serve as a member of a dynamic team of engineers/administrators who are responsible for the design, implementation and support of IT systems in a high availability enterprise environment.

Duties involve hands-on hardware/software installation of new environments, the enhancement of existing systems and the replacement/restructuring of legacy systems. Candidates must possess professional documentation skills.

Position Requirements

Previous experience in the following technologies required: Enterprise level large scale NAS/SAN, Linux (Red Hat/CentOS preferable), VMware, Apache, MySQL, DNS, DHCP, NFS, SSH, SNMP, Strong scripting skills (bash, Perl), C and/or C++.Knowledge of a configuration management system such as Puppet or Chef is desirable. Previous experience in the following technologies highly desirable: High Performance Computing (HPC), Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM), IBM AIX. A Bachelors degree in computer science or related field is preferred.

The next position:

quote:

Position Description
Storage Engineer III

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, located on the North Shore of Long Island, is seeking an experienced Storage Engineer III with a solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems and Windows Server operating system, and the storage utilities used by them. Working under the general supervision of the Systems & Storage Manager, the storage engineer will administer storage in an enterprise environment, maintain procedural documentation for the group and perform additional IT related tasks as assigned. The storage engineer will also handle weekend on-call functions.

Position Requirements
This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in training staff in complex topics, making presentations to an internal audience, writing purchase justifications and interacting with senior management. The right candidate will also possess Independent problem-solving, self-direction and documentation skills, having expertise in all aspects of storage administration; for example, configuration of disk sub-systems, data migration, data protection and disk to disk backup/restore.

The ideal candidate must also have a solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems and Windows Server operating system, and the storage utilities used by them; in-depth understanding of fiber channel and network-based storage concepts; working knowledge of zoning and redundancy storage design concepts, and their implementation in the enterprise environment. The ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Tk, Perl, VBScript, a shell) and familiarity with storage concepts for MS Exchange is plus. Enterprise storage solution experience (SAN, NAS and direct-attached disk) in an open systems environment. Knowledge of hardware and software from key storage vendors (EMC, IBM, Brocade, McData, NetApp). Must stay current with changes in the industry.

And the last position is a Windows admin:

quote:

Position Description
Systems Engineer III - Windows

CSHL is looking for a Systems Engineer III with expert skills in the areas of Windows systems engineering, SQL administration, and Microsoft Exchange 2010. Candidates will serve as a member of a dynamic team of engineers/administrators who are responsible for the design, implementation and support of IT systems in a high availability enterprise environment.

Duties involve hands-on hardware/software installation of new environments, the enhancement of existing systems and the replacement/restructuring of legacy systems. Candidates must possess professional documentation skills.

Position Requirements
This position requires a candidate with strong interpersonal and communication skills; who is capable of writing purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making presentations to an internal audience and interacting positively with senior management. The ability to work independently, along with complex problem solving ability and strong documentation skills are mandatory. He/she should be comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.

Previous experience in the following technologies required: Windows Server 2003/2008, Active Directory, Microsoft Clustering, Networking (TCP/IP, WINS, DNS, DHCP), Scripting including PowerShell, SQL Administration, Exchange 2010. A working knowledge of the following is preferred: VMware ESX 3.5/4.0, IIS, SAN/ NAS, LDAP, Storage administration and protocols: NFS, CIFS

Candidates should possess the following:
  • Solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems and Windows Server operating system.
  • Understanding of paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions).
  • Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts.
  • Working knowledge of NFS/SMB/FTP/SSH & HTTP; authentication via NIS+, OpenLDAP and Active Directory; configure and administer DHCP and DNS; manage multiple domains.
  • Understanding of basic routing concepts.
  • Familiarity with MS Exchange 2003, Sendmail and Postfix email systems. (note: this is what the description says but we've just completed our migration to Exchange 2010)
  • Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Tk, Perl, VBScript, a shell). (note: I would add powershell to this)
  • Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C programs.
  • Significant programming background in any applicable language.
  • Three to five years of system administration experience.
  • A degree in computer science or a related field preferred.

I am a Windows admin here, so I know more about the last position than the other two, but feel free to ask me any questions about any of the positions. I am not allowed to discuss salary but I can put you in touch with HR or my manager. I think the benefits here are pretty good.

You can PM me but e-mail is better for contacting me: brian-sa@briantist.com

Briantist fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 29, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Briantist posted:

I think the benefits here are pretty good.

You can PM me but e-mail is better for contacting me: brian-sa@briantist.com
I'll vouch for this. The benefits are awesome and the working environment is really laid-back and fantastic. I had very few complaints about the place while I was working there and the only reason that I left was to take a team lead position within a much larger organization.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I was interested in the openings and submitted through the CSHL website

My experience isn't that deep but I do learn quickly

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Abey Sinclair posted:

NOC/Colocation is a common vertical move, where you can become more experienced with network or systems administration with strengths applied from your background.

If you've got a CE/EE degree, you might consider moving your way up into Integration Testing, or interning at a hardware development firm. Traditionally in the Bay Area this means Hitachi/IBM/Intel, but those positions are essentially filled with Stanford/Cal interns.

If you don't have a degree in anything, then chances are you aren't going to go much further building/repairing computers, unless you open up your own consulting gig for tech support/disaster recovery/deployment. That field is insanely saturated in the Bay Area, but if you already have prospective clients it's possible to make it work.

Do you have a degree? Familiar with a nix variant? How's your people skills? I'm probably hiring a few more Support Engineers out in Burlingame in the very near future, and while it's very System/Network admin oriented as long as you're competent we can take the time to teach you how to be brilliant with bash.

Shoot me a resume at caylen at gmail dot com and I'll see if you could be a good fit.

:woop: Going in for an interview next week, thanks Goon bro!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
[edit] removed

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 17, 2012

ndb
Aug 25, 2005

Hiring In: Preferably Dallas, Texas, but we'll also take telecommunicators

Who we are: Mojo Media Labs

When: This week & next week

What we do: We are a small marketing company specializing in creative design in the areas of print, web & digital/interactive elements.

We are looking for Web Developers. We originally outsourced this position, but the company is giving us a lot of flack, so we plan on bringing this department in-house. We are looking for one to three right now.

Work Duties:

* Developing "creatively designed" websites that use Wordpress or another CMS as a backbone.
* Developing applications for iPhone, Android and any other smartphones.
* You might have to work with a client on getting things done every once in a while.

Qualifications:

* Experience with HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP.
* If you knew Objective-C, Java or C#/VB/ASP, that's a big plus.
* Experience with Git is also a plus.
* Must feel comfortable working in a team.
* Familiarity with Wordpress or Joomla is also a plus.
* You must be able to work in a dynamic environment - clients' wants can change on a whim, so you must be able to handle this well.
* Must be able to multitask well.

Send me your resume at laneshill@gmail.com! I appreciate your time.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

ndb posted:

Hiring In: Preferably Dallas, Texas, but we'll also take telecommunicators

Who we are: Mojo Media Labs

When: This week & next week

What we do: We are a small marketing company specializing in creative design in the areas of print, web & digital/interactive elements.

We are looking for Web Developers. We originally outsourced this position, but the company is giving us a lot of flack, so we plan on bringing this department in-house. We are looking for one to three right now.

Work Duties:

* Developing "creatively designed" websites that use Wordpress or another CMS as a backbone.
* Developing applications for iPhone, Android and any other smartphones.
* You might have to work with a client on getting things done every once in a while.

Qualifications:

* Experience with HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP.
* If you knew Objective-C, Java or C#/VB/ASP, that's a big plus.
* Experience with Git is also a plus.
* Must feel comfortable working in a team.
* Familiarity with Wordpress or Joomla is also a plus.
* You must be able to work in a dynamic environment - clients' wants can change on a whim, so you must be able to handle this well.
* Must be able to multitask well.

Send me your resume at laneshill@gmail.com! I appreciate your time.

My wife might be a good fit if you don't mind telecommuters(We live close enough that she'd be able to go to Dallas with a bit of notice, it's about three hours away). I've sent this her way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My experience: Just graduated from ECC with a certificate in info-sec. I have a previous certificate in network design and implementation.
What I'm looking for: An entry-level job in info-sec. Setting up firewalls, making disaster plans, that kind of thing. Pen testing would be pretty awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk
Where I live: Buffalo, NY :cry:
Where I'm looking: Buffalo / Niagara area
When I can start: Immediately
Requirements: Full time preferred, at least 35k annually. Not willing to relocate for less than 45k.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, email: killhour@gmail.com (I have a business email, but I don't want to put it on a public forum)

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
I suppose this is a bit of a long shot, but eh, why not.

My experience: 2.5 years of tier 2 tech support for a small (10 person) software company. Also included splitting time looking after their networking equipment as well as being part of a 2 person team that readied the company for their first PCI audit (we passed after one round of remediation). A little over 2.5 years as a sysadmin for a larger software company (40 people). 35 servers that hosted 450 ASP clients on our software. 40 workstations/laptops internally. Technologies include Server 2k3, 2k8, 2X (Citrix competitor), Citrix, MySQL, some Windows clustering, some ESXi, some HyperV, Dell servers. I also got fairly heavy into PowerShell and appreciate having a chance to code as well.

What I'm looking for: Being part of a team. I was the lone wolf IT guy responsible for everything for those second 2.5 years, so being part of a crew and not being on call and responsible for EVERYTHING 24/7 would be awesome. Also, I'd love to get some hands on experience with Cisco gear. I probably could have passed the CCNA two years ago but not doing it every day means I've gotten rusty. Really, playing with any new, shiny tech would be cool.

What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk if I can avoid it.

Where I live: Southwest Missouri

Where I'm looking: Kansas City, MO area, NOVA/DC area, or, in lieu of either of those, maybe Florida. I don't expect relocation to any of those, but if it were available to anywhere other than KC that'd be awesome.

When I can start: Depends on the location. If it's KC, probably within three weeks. If it's further out, I'd probably need 4 to 6 weeks.

Requirements: $50k+ would be nice

Can be reached via: This thread, PM, flashtraffic at gmail dot com

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Here are a few job openings where I work, Spade Technology:

Who are we?
We are a Managed Services Provider for small and medium businesses in eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We provide a complete IT solution for companies that cannot afford to hire an IT staff.

Where are we?
Mansfield, MA

What are we looking for?
We currently have 4 openings available. Here is the basic gist of these positions:

• SupportDesk Level 1
  • 1 to 2 Years Experience
  • Basic PC Support and User Account Administration

• SupportDesk Level 2 (Network Engineer)
  • 5+ Years Experience
  • Network Engineering, Server Administration, PC Support

• SupportDesk Level 2 (PC Specialist)
  • 3+ Years Experience
  • PC Builds, imaging, diagnostics, virus\malware removal

• SupportWerks Engineer
  • Regularly scheduled onsite visits
  • Performs IT Audits
  • Proactive Network and Systems maintenance
  • Account Administration

Why work for us?
We have a great team here that supports each other. They also will pay for your certification exams and you can take those exams on company time. There is plenty of room for movement and we are a growing company.

"Spade offers a 401K plan, health benefits, a dental plan, company paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability coverage, profit sharing, a generous bonus program, extensive industry training and certification exam coverage."

Sounds awesome, where do I apply?
You can email me your resume at jon.whalley@gmail.com or PM me.

Jazzahn fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 6, 2011

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Hyrax posted:

Where I live: Southwest Missouri

Where I'm looking: Kansas City, MO area, NOVA/DC area, or, in lieu of either of those, maybe Florida. I don't expect relocation to any of those, but if it were available to anywhere other than KC that'd be awesome.

I had to bail on the Springfield area years back because I just couldn't loving find IT work. It's around, but breaking into it seems to be a mystery.

I would say don't get your hopes up on KC, between Sprint and H&R Block, the whole city seems to be caught up in agency fervor. I ended up moving to OKC for full time, non-contract employment. Got lots of contract jobs in KC, but never was able to finagle one into a permanent position.

Man, I miss me some good BBQ, though.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Filled.

Panthrax fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 10, 2011

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

I'm looking for a Sharepoint Developer.

I need to create a Travel and Expense workflow. I can provide very detailed instructions, flowcharts, layout, etc on what the site should look like, workflows, etc - I just need someone to take that design/flowchart and implement it in Sharepoint 2011.

Please PM me with interest and quals. I'll provide a detailed requirements list, a design layout, etc for review. We'll then discuss price and timeline.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Square Pair posted:

I'm looking for a Sharepoint Developer.

I need to create a Travel and Expense workflow. I can provide very detailed instructions, flowcharts, layout, etc on what the site should look like, workflows, etc - I just need someone to take that design/flowchart and implement it in Sharepoint 2011.

Please PM me with interest and quals. I'll provide a detailed requirements list, a design layout, etc for review. We'll then discuss price and timeline.
Do you have any specific location requirements, or just anybody on the Internet?

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

brc64 posted:

Do you have any specific location requirements, or just anybody on the Internet?

A Goon looking to freelance and I don't care where they live. They have to know Sharepoint 2011 though - that's the only requirement.

Edit: Sharepoint 2010

Square Pair fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 10, 2011

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Abey Sinclair posted:

NOC/Colocation is a common vertical move, where you can become more experienced with network or systems administration with strengths applied from your background.

If you've got a CE/EE degree, you might consider moving your way up into Integration Testing, or interning at a hardware development firm. Traditionally in the Bay Area this means Hitachi/IBM/Intel, but those positions are essentially filled with Stanford/Cal interns.

If you don't have a degree in anything, then chances are you aren't going to go much further building/repairing computers, unless you open up your own consulting gig for tech support/disaster recovery/deployment. That field is insanely saturated in the Bay Area, but if you already have prospective clients it's possible to make it work.

Do you have a degree? Familiar with a nix variant? How's your people skills? I'm probably hiring a few more Support Engineers out in Burlingame in the very near future, and while it's very System/Network admin oriented as long as you're competent we can take the time to teach you how to be brilliant with bash.

Shoot me a resume at caylen at gmail dot com and I'll see if you could be a good fit.

:woop: Year of the fuckin' job indeed!

Just got offered a position! Chalk up +1 goon coworker :woop:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Square Pair posted:

A Goon looking to freelance and I don't care where they live. They have to know Sharepoint 2011 though - that's the only requirement.

Square Pair posted:

Sharepoint 2011

Buh?

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

Looks like we’re hiring for two entry-level helpdesk positions.

Who we are: A small Managed Services Provider (http://www.righthandit.com/) with a focus on small to mid-sized businesses. With a new set of service offerings and approximately 90% growth last year, we're expanding rapidly.

Where we are: Louisville, Colorado. I commute from Denver, and it’s a 30-45 minute drive. Boulder’s about 15 minutes from our office.

Job description: Support Engineer Primary responsibilities are responding to support requests from clients and resolving issues, performing some (limited) onsite support as necessary, and taking part in an on-call rotation.

A typical candidate will have 1 to 3 years of experience providing support for desktops and servers. Desirable skills include: Windows 2000, 2003, and 2008 server, Exchange Server, knowledge of networks, firewalls, routers, and switches, and an in-depth understanding of Windows XP and Windows 7. We're a Windows shop - there's a few Macs, but pretty much nothing *nix.

What we want: More than technical knowledge, we’re looking for solid communication and listening skills, as well as the ability to research (Google) and learn. Flexibility is key – we’re a small company. Even if you're missing some of the skills, take a flyer at it - I got in without ever touching a server or corporate network in my life. If you're an excellent problem solver and communicator, you may be a perfect fit - we're willing to train the right candidate.

Why you’d want to work here: It's a pretty amazing place to work. Dress code is pretty much non-existent (when not at a customer location), the company brings in beer at least once a week, and it's a very laid-back office. Probably the greatest benefit is the sheer amount of things you'll get to work with in this job - there are very, very few Helpdesk positions where you can get hands-on experience building a server. This is a fantastic opportunity to build your resume and skillset in a fun environment.

Why you wouldn’t want to work here: We’ve got an on-call rotation – typically a week at a time. Nothing too terrible, but it’ll usually mess up your Saturday morning plans. Usually, you're only on call about once every six weeks.

Also, if you don't like dogs, you might want to give this a pass - there's a Border Collie that sometimes comes to work with the boss.

Pretty standard background check and NDA.

Compensation: Salary. Health and dental benefits, but they're admittedly not amazing (small company).

Contact: Drop a resume (+ cover letter/salary requirements) or questions to goons@righthandit.net

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Time Warner's career site does dumb stuff with direct linking, so let me just repost the whole thing. My group needs a Linux systems engineer in NYC with solid understanding of systems automation (we use Puppet).

quote:

Time Inc., a Time Warner company, is one of the largest content companies in the world. With a portfolio of approximately 115 magazines and 48 web sites, including some of the world's most popular, powerful and trusted brands, it is the largest magazine publisher in the U.S., and a leading publisher in the U.K. and Mexico. Time Inc.'s popular brands and successful franchises extend to online, television, cable VOD, satellite radio, mobile devices, events and branded products. Each month, one out of every two American adults reads a Time Inc. magazine, and one out of every seven who are online visits a company Web site.

Position Summary:
The Systems Engineer will be a part of the TimeInc's Information Technology's Internet Operations/Systems Integration team. This group's primary goal is the provisioning of all production systems for one of the world’s most dynamic and complex web site infrastructures. This individual will be supporting the team's effort of developing, and deploying all systems needed to run our production environment. In addition, the candidate will participate in the implementation of tools & systems that enhance and/or automate various areas within our Linux and Solaris-based web environment.
The candidate must be self-motivated and proactively investigate best solutions and must understand the application development life cycle. The candidate must have good troubleshooting skills and serve as Tier 3 support for some Operations issues.
The right candidate will demonstrate an appropriate blend of technical, organizational and interpersonal skills. Good communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential, as is the ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
The type of work that the candidate will work on includes: implementing automation for system maintenance and administration tasks, such as package management, configuration management, and software patching; integrating new applications with existing environments; developing system-level software to integrate and/or process data flow across infrastructures; evaluating and recommending new commercial and open-source software.

Key Responsibilities:
In addition to the above, the following skills are sought, but not required for application to this position: Puppet, RPM and Solaris package building, Kickstart/Jumpstart, LDAP, Kerberos, DNS, Ruby, Java, Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, Apache modules, NSAPI, FastCGI, HTML, Javascript, DHCP.

Experience Required:
• BS, MS, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent
• 3-5 years of related work experience, preferably in the Internet environment
• Strong UNIX administration experience (preferably Linux and/or Solaris 8/10)
• Strong Perl 5 and shell scripting, particularly with large-scale systems automation
• Experience with Apache, Tomcat, WWW, HTTP, SMTP
• Understanding of TCP/IP and networking fundamentals
• Understanding of system & architecture scalability challenges
• Understanding of and experience with open-source software
• Ability to write clear, concise technical documentation

Key Behavioral Requirements:

Respect in the Workplace
• Demonstrates integrity and authenticity
• Encourages and facilitates the exchange of ideas
• Fosters an inclusive work environment

Connection & Collaboration
• Communicates and relates effectively
• Promotes and encourages teamwork
• Manages relationships and expectations
• Thinks and solves problems creatively

Makes a Difference
• Takes personal accountability for actions and results
• Is action-oriented rather than reactive
• Takes initiative and goes beyond what is required

It's a really neat job in a super-laid-back environment. PM me for more details.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2011

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Buh?
Sorry - Sharepoint 2010. It's the one that comes with Office 365.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Regex posted:

Contact: Drop a resume (+ cover letter/salary requirements) or questions to goons@righthandit.net

Contacted. Give a new graduate employment!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Regex posted:

Applied - help me get out of Idaho!

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001
The company I work for in Cleveland, OH, Rosetta, is looking for a LOT of experienced Java/J2EE programmers in both Cleveland and the NJ/NYC area. You should have a Computer Science or related degree OR 2 or more years experience with web and/or software development. The work is mostly e-commerce web development and related. If interested email me your resume at jeremie.barnes AT rosetta.com and I'll give you a referral, bonus points if you have experience with WebSphere commerce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My company has something like 40 openings, alot of them IT related. We're expanding due to increasing amounts of projects so we have a lot of new positions. All the standard corporate things like medical/dental and 401k are included plus (I can only speak for my division) it's a really good company to work for. All the positions are located here: http://careers.mindshift.com/

I work out of the Commack NY location, if you want to apply to a position here send me a PM or shoot me an e-mail jbrayburn at gmail dot com