Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hellwuzzat posted:

So, uhhh, what do you folks think of that there Demonaz solo affair "March of the Norse"?

An intro piece, and then a song repeated with almost no variation 8 times over. And it's not a very good song. Probably will never get over my love of the Immortal guitar tone/technique, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hellwuzzat posted:

So, uhhh, what do you folks think of that there Demonaz solo affair "March of the Norse"?

I listened to it once, wasn't terrible but I doubt I'll listen to it again.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Anwech ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTsW0eVPJ8c ... am liking this release, maybe they have or have not been mentioned before.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

RHTITE posted:

I wonder if there's ever been a band other than Immortal that was able to actually make good Black Metal while showing off their sense of humour. These guys don't do either very well.

Eisenwinters new album translates as 'Epic Fail' which is pretty :stare: but is pretty good, has a quite funny Shane MacGowan cover with the lyrics changed to talk about black metal too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Hellwuzzat posted:

Not bad but not half as good as Abbath's I album. Hell it's not even as good as anything Immortal's done. But it has its moments.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

RHTITE posted:

An intro piece, and then a song repeated with almost no variation 8 times over. And it's not a very good song. Probably will never get over my love of the Immortal guitar tone/technique, though.

Echoing this. It's nothing truly special so far but it'd be an album I wouldn't throw away.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Alright, cool. I was just curious because I gave it a once through, then found a bunch of online reviews in which Demonaz was thoroughly fellated. Was wondering if I was missing something. Guess I wasn't.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

quote:

Northwestern Black Circle Festival III:
Day 1:
Inquisition
Mysticism Black
Panzergod
Tormentium
Cemetery Lust
Grim Ritual
Infernus
Phlegethon
Sacrament Ov Impurity

Northwestern Black Circle Festival III:
Day 2:
Nunslaughter
Ceremonial Castings
The Red King
Blood Of Martyrs
Oakenheart
Nihilotep
Bloodfreak
Thrallscurse
Drakul
Adduara
All of that black metal poo poo for 15 bucks a night? I'm sold.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
My friends are good friends with the Panzergod guys. So I should be going to that too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

New Petrychor is out. There are posts about it in the metal thread, but I'm pretty sure they're still considered black metal in some form.

I like it, but I think the fake drums really really need to go. His music is really powerful and the drums don't do it justice.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

New Petrychor is out. There are posts about it in the metal thread, but I'm pretty sure they're still considered black metal in some form.

I like it, but I think the fake drums really really need to go. His music is really powerful and the drums don't do it justice.

Agreed completely. Petrychor initially caught my attention because the blindside juxtaposition from the 12 string to the machine gun drums threw me off guard, and it was kind of cool. The full length feels like it doesn't do anything different or new and just reuses that 'pretty guitar, pretty guitar CHAOSCHAOSCHAOSCHAOS' thing and over again.

On a different note, I've been getting the gently caress down on Altar of Plagues' new album. I don't think I quite like it as much as White Tomb, but its still loving good.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would prefer better transition between the pretty guitar pretty guitar CHAOSCHAOSCHAOS thing.

Overall I like it though.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

So, anyone heard the new Marduk track? Not only is it endless destruction from start to finish, it is Panzer Division worship; it is like having an old friend come over for a surprise visit but then he burns your house down and the two of you get extremely drunk and the next day you wake up and you don't regret a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKeELVK-9Pc

smile.jpg fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 22, 2011

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Empty, speedy riffs
Old writers trapped in the past
It's fuckin boring.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

smile.jpg posted:

So, anyone heard the new Marduk track? Not only is it endless destruction from start to finish, it is Panzer Division worship; it is like having an old friend come over for a surprise visit but then he burns your house down and the two of you get extremely drunk and the next day you wake up and you don't regret a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKeELVK-9Pc

gently caress yes.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Objurium posted:

On a different note, I've been getting the gently caress down on Altar of Plagues' new album. I don't think I quite like it as much as White Tomb, but its still loving good.

I'm trying my best to get into it, but it seems to lack the ferocity of White Tomb. Don't get me wrong, I love my more reserved black metal, but that rampant energy that was present on that album seems to be missing from Mammal. I am hoping it will be a grower though.

Speaking of which, my buddies' band Heathens who we played with this past weekend have just secured a distribution deal for their full length due later this year. I'll post more details when they appear (the band's changing their name and aesthetic a bit) since I really love their music. It's some of the best stuff coming out of South Africa at the moment!

wuLFe
Oct 21, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm trying my best to get into it, but it seems to lack the ferocity of White Tomb. Don't get me wrong, I love my more reserved black metal, but that rampant energy that was present on that album seems to be missing from Mammal. I am hoping it will be a grower though.

Speaking of which, my buddies' band Heathens who we played with this past weekend have just secured a distribution deal for their full length due later this year. I'll post more details when they appear (the band's changing their name and aesthetic a bit) since I really love their music. It's some of the best stuff coming out of South Africa at the moment!

I would definitely be keen to hear that - as an expatriate South African myself, I'm always interested to hear any music from the old homeland that isn't swill - I actually honestly didn't realize there was any black metal scene in South Africa - however, I am from PE, which is probably why :)

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So, I'm really into LLN. particularly Moevot and Aakon Ketreeh. In addition, I love synth intros/songs (last track on Filosofem, the first 5 minutes of every Gnaw Their Tongues song, intro the Black Metal Commando album by Satanic Warmaster). Does anyone know of any projects that are based around those styles? I know a lot of stuff like that is classified as dark ambient, but too much in that genre is way too "gothy" for me, so I'd prefer something that sticks to black metal/LLN style and roots.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
You're much better listening to lustmord, raison d'etre, deutsch nepal, early In Slaughter Natives and Sephiroth etc than black metal bands if you actually want to listen to dark ambient.

Kataxu, Vargleide, Neptune Towers and Ildjarn's ambient material may be to your liking. As may later Urfaust. There's also Vinterriket if you can stomach having one decent release out of 5.

I'd also suggest you seek out some of the more ambient martial industrial material, as it's always going to have a gloomy, oppressive atmosphere.

And of course, i didn't mention him in the initial list, but Nordvargr is essential, and somewhat tied in with the metal scene these days.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

wuLFe posted:

I would definitely be keen to hear that - as an expatriate South African myself, I'm always interested to hear any music from the old homeland that isn't swill - I actually honestly didn't realize there was any black metal scene in South Africa - however, I am from PE, which is probably why :)

There's apparently a small but passionate metal scene in PE. There's a club there, Jesters, that my death metal band really want to play some time soon. We've just got to recoup our costs from our Pretoria tour earlier this year.

Other SA black metal bands I can recommend are:

God Devour - Experimental
Nihil - Atmospheric
Theatre Runs Red

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Gr31lly posted:

You're much better listening to lustmord, raison d'etre, deutsch nepal, early In Slaughter Natives and Sephiroth etc than black metal bands if you actually want to listen to dark ambient.

Kataxu, Vargleide, Neptune Towers and Ildjarn's ambient material may be to your liking. As may later Urfaust. There's also Vinterriket if you can stomach having one decent release out of 5.

I'd also suggest you seek out some of the more ambient martial industrial material, as it's always going to have a gloomy, oppressive atmosphere.

And of course, i didn't mention him in the initial list, but Nordvargr is essential, and somewhat tied in with the metal scene these days.

Thanks for the suggestions, particularly Nordvargr. I appreciate the effort and definitely I'm going to check out a lot of these projects in depth. Just curious, are you into noise at all? The Lustmord track in particular reminds me of some of the more minimal Haters work.

That said, I'm looking for somewhat more "cheesy synth" style stuff, such as this and this. Something about these tracks really gets to me, and I'd kill to hear more like it.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

ape canyon posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, particularly Nordvargr. I appreciate the effort and definitely I'm going to check out a lot of these projects in depth. Just curious, are you into noise at all? The Lustmord track in particular reminds me of some of the more minimal Haters work.

Yeah, I listen to noise as well, but more along the power electronics side.

ape canyon posted:

That said, I'm looking for somewhat more "cheesy synth" style stuff, such as this and this. Something about these tracks really gets to me, and I'd kill to hear more like it.

Try Ildjarns's Landscapes album, like I said you may like his synth stuff. It's rarely recommended, seeing as it is 2 discs of nothing but synth, but I like it, and you may too.

I'd also recommended checking out In The Woods... Heart of Ages release, it's not all synth or anything, but you should like it.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

ape canyon posted:

How about some Summoning? They do keep percussion, vocals and guitar in their music, but they are not made the focus the way that most Metal bands do. It should scratch that cheese itch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHESjItTd-Q

You may also want to have a look at the https://kcuf.com radio page, since they have old rear end archives of their shows for download. In the Ambient section, you'll find a show called "Headspace". I think that will do you well. The only problem is that these shows were archived in the original days of mp3, so the quality is truly awful. I haven't been able to find links to the stuff that wouldn't count as :files:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

New Petrychor is pretty rad. Anyone listen to Kampfar's latest release yet?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Radio Paranoia posted:

There's apparently a small but passionate metal scene in PE. There's a club there, Jesters, that my death metal band really want to play some time soon. We've just got to recoup our costs from our Pretoria tour earlier this year.

Other SA black metal bands I can recommend are:

God Devour - Experimental
Nihil - Atmospheric
Theatre Runs Red

Since you know the SA metal scene pretty well, where exactly is the metal scene in Cape Town? Moved here pretty recently and it seems the only vaguely metal place is Gandalfs?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Since you know the SA metal scene pretty well, where exactly is the metal scene in Cape Town? Moved here pretty recently and it seems the only vaguely metal place is Gandalfs?
Well, ROAR above Gandalfs probably has the best sound in the city. My band works with the main sound guy there quite closely.
Otherwise the northern suburbs have a fairly active metal scene. This weekend my girlfriend's band, another industrial band and local power metallers Strident are playing at the Gandalfs complex. Swing by and look for a guy in an Emperor shirt upstairs and I can probably elaborate more.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Bleh, already got plans for the weekend. Will try out ROAR sometime soon though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Bleh, already got plans for the weekend. Will try out ROAR sometime soon though.

Arg. In that case, look out for A Walk With The Wicked. That's my death metal band I do vocals for. Otherwise check out Metal4Africa.com online. We've got a big festival coming up beginning of August and it's always a good time!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I seriously cannot get enough of Ashes Against the Grain. It is just all around amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I seriously cannot get enough of Ashes Against the Grain. It is just all around amazing.

If you haven't listened to The Mantle, do so now or at your earliest convenience.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I could listen to Falling Snow just about forever I think.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

QPZIL posted:

If you haven't listened to The Mantle, do so now or at your earliest convenience.

I love all of Agalloch. :)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I love all of Agalloch. :)

Yep. They're one of the most consistent bands I've heard. Despite major sound changes across their discography, they still always sound like Agalloch and the quality is always excellent.

I'm still jealous about my friends who have copies of The White.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Radio Paranoia posted:

Yep. They're one of the most consistent bands I've heard. Despite major sound changes across their discography, they still always sound like Agalloch and the quality is always excellent.

I'm still jealous about my friends who have copies of The White.

I picked up the White/Grey vinyls at the last Agalloch show I was at, it's one of my prized posessions now. The White is such an amazing album.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I picked up the White/Grey vinyls at the last Agalloch show I was at, it's one of my prized posessions now. The White is such an amazing album.

Man I have the limited edition of Ashes that came with pics of the band looking forlorn and an actual bag of ash (lol) and even I know that their non album releases are generally not that great. I dig all the main albums (Pale Folklore, Mantle, Ashes, Marrow) But I remember people being so dissapointed by The Gray they thought Agalloch would never release another good album.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I like it. It's a lot more drone than their normal stuff, but I don't think they have really released anything bad. It's just that The Grey was so different than their LPs. It's more like Our Fortress is Burning pt. 3, and that was a track that a lot of people felt like should have been left off of the album.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I'm enjoying Demonaz - March of the Norse a lot. Somehow I have never really listened to much of Immortal yet, somehow. :downs:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Achtung! Panzer posted:

I'm enjoying Demonaz - March of the Norse a lot. Somehow I have never really listened to much of Immortal yet, somehow. :downs:

Once you do, you'll put March of the Norse on the shelf pretty fast.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

aliencowboy posted:

New Petrychor is pretty rad. Anyone listen to Kampfar's latest release yet?

On first listen, the new Petrychor is... um. Not as good as the Dryad EP, to my tastes. I'll give it more listens, though.

I'm going to see Kampfar (with Vreid and Secrets of the Moon) tonight and am very excited. :) They're so fun live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On first listen, the new Petrychor is... um. Not as good as the Dryad EP, to my tastes. I'll give it more listens, though.

I got the same feeling. The acoustic parts are very flowery and not as atmospheric as they were on Dryad. The melodies are also quite understated, not that they were before but their ebb and flow through the music was far more prominent.

I'm going to give it some more time, but if this he been a first release I probably wouldn't have been as captivated by the music.

2011 has been kinda disappointing for me so far. I hope the new Wolves doesn't let the team down.