Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
From what I read the other day when the story first came out that HTC may change their policy is that the EVO 3D may ship locked but will be unlocked later. Of course nothing but rumors.

As I said earlier in this thread if HTC did this they would rock. Well they do rock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They will probably be locked out of the box and will require a software update to unlock them.
Absolutely true. Folks wanting an unlocked Evo 3D should wait for an unlocker (be it HTC or otherwise) to be released first before purchasing.

To be honest, this is probably what I would expect of their devices from here-on out anyways. They'll shipped locked, probably even with signed poo poo, and require installation of a new bootloader through recovery or some other mechanism to actually unlock the devices.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Absolutely true. Folks wanting an unlocked Evo 3D should wait for an unlocker (be it HTC or otherwise) to be released first before purchasing.

To be honest, this is probably what I would expect of their devices from here-on out anyways. They'll shipped locked, probably even with signed poo poo, and require installation of a new bootloader through recovery or some other mechanism to actually unlock the devices.
I'm still loving the hell out of my EVO, so I think I may just hold onto it until next year. If Sprint can keep up these high end phone launches, then I'll have something pretty awesome to look forward to next year and I won't have to deal with trying to get my Premier status upgrade restored. The EVO 3D looks nice, but I haven't been following it like I did the EVO 4G before it launched and I'm just not as excited about it overall.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
My girlfriend is on a family plan with two lines, one for her mom (that's the primary) and one for her. She is interested in getting on her own plan, but wants to keep her number. She is also in contract, and won't be up for a while. I am wondering if there is a way to open a new sprint account in her name, and port her current number and contract status over, without having any ETF issues. Preferably, on a new EPRP account. Is this possible?

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch
So I just found something sneaky out. Apparently, Sprint charges $0.20/min for *incoming* forwarded calls. This means that if I forward my home phone to my Sprint phone, calls to my home phone cost me $0.20 on my Sprint bill. There isn't a way around this according to a Sprint rep I spoke to, not even with an Unlimited plan. What the hell, Sprint?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

brc64 posted:

I'm still loving the hell out of my EVO, so I think I may just hold onto it until next year. If Sprint can keep up these high end phone launches, then I'll have something pretty awesome to look forward to next year and I won't have to deal with trying to get my Premier status upgrade restored. The EVO 3D looks nice, but I haven't been following it like I did the EVO 4G before it launched and I'm just not as excited about it overall.

This is pretty much my stance right now - I'm actually pretty happy with the performance on my Epic other than one or two very minor issues, and it would seem that Sprint and Samsung are on track for a "much better managed" release of Gingerbread for the phone - one that, by all accounts so far, seems to be doing amazing things for the Epic. So, yeah. If that comes out in a decent timeframe and improves things further, I will have a bit of faith restored and will hang on to the phone a bit longer.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

XenoWolf posted:

So I just found something sneaky out. Apparently, Sprint charges $0.20/min for *incoming* forwarded calls. This means that if I forward my home phone to my Sprint phone, calls to my home phone cost me $0.20 on my Sprint bill. There isn't a way around this according to a Sprint rep I spoke to, not even with an Unlimited plan. What the hell, Sprint?
Forward your land line to a google voice number, which in turn directs it to your cell for free?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kahm posted:

My girlfriend is on a family plan with two lines, one for her mom (that's the primary) and one for her. She is interested in getting on her own plan, but wants to keep her number. She is also in contract, and won't be up for a while. I am wondering if there is a way to open a new sprint account in her name, and port her current number and contract status over, without having any ETF issues. Preferably, on a new EPRP account. Is this possible?

For switching to her own name yep, just have her call customer service. Its called a transfer of liability. They will run her credit and set up an account in her name just like how you initially startup a new account. Then the customer service rep confirms with her and her mom that they both authorize the transfer, and her number gets set under her name with whatever individual plan she wants (mom would go to an individual plan on her name to). It should be possible to have this occur on a bill cycle to avoid proration but not completely sure.

The transfer will take your g/f's contract, phone, phone number, everything with it. So if she is 1 year into the contract, she is still 1 year in. Simple as that. No fees for any of this, just possible prorations depending on billing dates.

No idea on if you can get EPRP out of this, I would call the number and ask about it. Worth trying to get.

XenoWolf posted:

I ran into this a while ago. Not exactly sneaky, Sprint towers all have backhaul (I think that's the term I'm looking for) from either VZ or AT&T, and they charge Sprint for call forwarding, so that's why the charge is there.

And the other guy is correct with the Google Voice method. Should solve your problem.

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

Duckman2008 posted:

I ran into this a while ago. Not exactly sneaky, Sprint towers all have backhaul (I think that's the term I'm looking for) from either VZ or AT&T, and they charge Sprint for call forwarding, so that's why the charge is there.

And the other guy is correct with the Google Voice method. Should solve your problem.

With Sprint's new integration with Google Voice, my cell phone number is *already* a Google Voice number, and as such you can't forward a GV number to another GV number. Nevertheless, Sprint seems to be the only carrier that charges to receive forwarded calls.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Has anyone had luck getting Sprint to waive the $35 fee for getting a defective phone replaced?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Toebone posted:

Has anyone had luck getting Sprint to waive the $35 fee for getting a defective phone replaced?

I have done it twice, and both times I haven't paid. I didn't say anything special though

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If I buy a Nexus S in the next couple of months, am I going to be kicking myself by Christmas wishing that I would have just bought a EVO 3D? I don't care about 3D at all, but a 1ghz processor vs. a 1.2ghz dual core seems like I'm really going to be feeling the difference in 6 months to a year...

EDIT: The wiki page for the EVO 3D doesn't list that it has NFC, has there been confirmation either way? (I have doubts that it will catch on, and even if it does, if I would ever use it, but still curious.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 27, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

Retentions probably would.

And i don't think the Evo has NFC...

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

spidoman posted:

If I buy a Nexus S in the next couple of months, am I going to be kicking myself by Christmas wishing that I would have just bought a EVO 3D? I don't care about 3D at all, but a 1ghz processor vs. a 1.2ghz dual core seems like I'm really going to be feeling the difference in 6 months to a year...

EDIT: The wiki page for the EVO 3D doesn't list that it has NFC, has there been confirmation either way? (I have doubts that it will catch on, and even if it does, if I would ever use it, but still curious.)

I bought the Nexus S on the premise that whatever phone the Android Devs at Google carry, that's the phone I want. Looking at the Google I/O videos, the Nexus S was the phone to have as a Googler.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
HTC CEO is saying the EVO 3D will have an unlocked boot loader. Hopefully that's official and not just him spouting off.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/27/htc-ceo-confirms-evo-3d-will-have-an-unlocked-bootloader-one-way-or-another/

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
NFC will probably catch on since NFC payment is both mildly convenient for the end-user and hugely profitable for the business community (basing this last part on the Google Wallet partner list).

It won't be widespread enough to be a make or break feature on a phone for at least a year though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Leathal posted:

NFC will probably catch on since NFC payment is both mildly convenient for the end-user and hugely profitable for the business community (basing this last part on the Google Wallet partner list).

It won't be widespread enough to be a make or break feature on a phone for at least a year though.

Exactly. NFC will catch on, especially now that Google has entered the market with actual payment services and not just technology, but it won't be soon. That's why i'm fine with getting the Evo 3d, enjoying a powerful phone with a unique gimmick and then next year when it's time for another upgrade i'll look at the new phones with NFC.

Especially since I live in bumfuck and not a major metropolitan area. It's going to take even longer for NFC to catch on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
poo poo like that is popular in japan

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
How worried should I be if I want an Evo 3D on release day, haven't pre-ordered yet, and live in central NJ? I really hate going to that drat store.

There shouldn't be any problems upgrading in store for a SERO Premium account, right?

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

spidoman posted:

Likely you will. The only thing at this point (if the 3D will come unlocked as all the rumors say) is all that the Nexus S will have going for it over the 3D is being a flagship phone. Which means tons of updates for it even if it is old as balls. Though I even doubt the 3D will worry about updates for quite a long time.

Oh and nobody gives a poo poo about the 3D feature either. Just a gimmick. Like you people see the numbers and drop a load how fast the phone will be versus all the other phones out right now.

EDIT:^^^ go out of your way to find a small store in a small town if you are that worried. Just call em up and ask their stock on it the day of the release.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 27, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How worried should I be if I want an Evo 3D on release day, haven't pre-ordered yet, and live in central NJ? I really hate going to that drat store.

There shouldn't be any problems upgrading in store for a SERO Premium account, right?

just get to the store early. I could be wrong, but i don't see the demand being as big as the Evo was.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I actually wouldn't mind at all if they don't unlock out of the box. Those of us who want them unlocked can handle a simple unlock procedure. For people that stick with stock firmware, it's just some extra protection to make sure they don't install something they don't want, however unlikely that may be.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Have there been any release date rumors for the Galaxy S 2? I'm debating between that and the Evo3D for replacing my aging HTC hero.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

XenoWolf posted:

I bought the Nexus S on the premise that whatever phone the Android Devs at Google carry, that's the phone I want. Looking at the Google I/O videos, the Nexus S was the phone to have as a Googler.

Hell, even the Nexus One got Netflix support in the first wave.

Duckman2008 posted:

just get to the store early. I could be wrong, but i don't see the demand being as big as the Evo was.
I'm constantly surprised by how popular the Evo is/was. I got a launch day device and I heard NOTHING about it outside of gadget blogs who spooj over every phone, and SA.

Now, at work, half the people I know with Android phones, which is an insanely growing number, have Evos.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

Have there been any release date rumors for the Galaxy S 2? I'm debating between that and the Evo3D for replacing my aging HTC hero.

As far as I can tell, the rough schedule is something like

Mid-late June: Evo 3d
July: Photon
August/September: Galaxy S 2

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

I know on the business side of things at least by talking to a coworker, he has less phone upgrades to do with the 3D than he did with the original Evo 4G last year (our customers we work with can basically preorder by saying "hey, can you order this for x lines on release date?"). There's still demand, but it's not game changing like the original.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Shed posted:

I know on the business side of things at least by talking to a coworker, he has less phone upgrades to do with the 3D than he did with the original Evo 4G last year (our customers we work with can basically preorder by saying "hey, can you order this for x lines on release date?"). There's still demand, but it's not game changing like the original.

It's similar to computers, the Evo is plenty fast for guy checking email and the screen is as big as this years model. There isn't anything game changing on the surface of the 3D except gimmicky 3D stuff so people are sticking with the 4G.

Under the hood there's a ton of RAM and another CPU core, which I'm all for.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

sonicice posted:

I wish they would offer that to me. I've been out of contract for close to three years now :(
I got it by asking once in e-chat.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Hell, even the Nexus One got Netflix support in the first wave.

There's a hacked APK over at XDA that removes Netflix's device check. I've gotten it to work on an Optimus S and a Nook Color without issue.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Y'all keep calling the 3D a gimmick, but I think it would be cool to take 3D pictures and video.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Y'all keep calling the 3D a gimmick, but I think it would be cool to take 3D pictures and video.

It's kind of gimmicky, but the hardware package is solid enough that it's just a bonus feature compared to the Sensation which is almost the same phone.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
AmazonWireless is only charging $99.99 to upgrade to the Nexus S. Almost half the price of the Evo, and the same price as the Arrive. I'm planning on waiting for the Evo 3D (or the Photon), but that's pretty tempting...

edit: and only 49.99 for new customers, drat.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Matlock posted:

There's a hacked APK over at XDA that removes Netflix's device check. I've gotten it to work on an Optimus S and a Nook Color without issue.

You missed my point, I was showing a recent example of the Nexus One getting official dev support and high priority despite not being the latest and greatest phone, most likely because it's a dev phone.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

XenoWolf posted:

I keep my VZW work cell forwarded full time to my personal Sprint phone and have never had trouble. I've never heard of charges for incoming forwards.

I'm sure it's technically feasible as the called/dialed number fields are different for SS7/ISUP. But honestly, there's no gain for the receiving carrier to do this. You get charged airtime for receiving the call the same as if they called your number. The only way it requires any more from them is if the call is forwarded back off-network.

Everything I'm finding says incoming forwards are not charged. Here's a recent post with (non-official) agreement and the person getting the charges removed:
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/291097

All that said, I spent 7 hours on the phone last Saturday for work, so if you see me post an incoherent rant in ~15 days, you have had the last laugh.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If I buy a used phone does my 2 year upgrade get reset? Thinking about buying a used Nexus S for hopefully a little bit cheaper once the Evo 3D comes out, and then have my upgrade still ready early next year.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

spidoman posted:

If I buy a used phone does my 2 year upgrade get reset?

No, it doesn't.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

AmazonWireless is only charging $99.99 to upgrade to the Nexus S. Almost half the price of the Evo, and the same price as the Arrive. I'm planning on waiting for the Evo 3D (or the Photon), but that's pretty tempting...

edit: and only 49.99 for new customers, drat.

Well. This is very tempting. I was holding out for the Evo 3d because of power, but $100 difference might do it. Must think about this.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Woah, I had no idea the Nexus S was 99$ upgrade on Amazon. This makes me a lot happier.

Epic 4G upgrade is a penny too.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I walked into a Sprint store today for the first time in ages. Some thoughts:

Kyocera Echo
Awkward to use. Did not like.

LG Optimus S
$19!? Why does my mom not have this phone yet?

Nexus S 4G
Holy gently caress, does this phone not weigh anything at all? It felt like the only weight I was feeling was the security thing attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is there some reason the new Motorola world phone is $900? My sister is going to be living in Europe for a year, and it'd be nice if we could get a decent world phone, but gently caress paying $549 WITH contract, or $899 without.