Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

We get kicked out of garages all the time but we're always polite and nice with security because for the most part they really don't care about us but have to do their jobs. This lets us come back all the time instead of baiting a place out so much the cops start to hang out there.
Yeah generally it's better to just go "Hey sorry man alright we out" than to act entitled and be a dick because everyone wins if nobody gets mad.

Zigmidge posted:

Whalley you sure do put up with some horseshit!
Outside of getting blindsided at 4.15 in the morning and harassed by that one rear end in a top hat cop, my skateboarding life has been pretty nice. They're my only two stories of woe. poo poo, I've never even broken a bone :woop:

Sirkus posted:

Oh man that's pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Sirkus posted:

Words/Pics

I loved the vid/pics from your last trip so this is a treat. Can't wait for the video.

As for the whole skate haters thing, worst I have had so far is a grumpy old man telling us to go skate at the local skate park to which I just politely reply "I know, but I like this area better" and they walk off in a grump.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Emerica have been putting out 'b-sides' from the recent Stay Gold video. They are better than the video by far, showing how much work these guys actually put into filming a 3min part. You can see them all on the Emerica Vimeo page here: http://vimeo.com/emerica/videos

Brandon Westgate possibly has the best part. A good illustration of how fast he skates is to watch how far he flies / slides from the trick when he slams: http://vimeo.com/24237360

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Tenterhooks posted:

Emerica have been putting out 'b-sides' from the recent Stay Gold video. They are better than the video by far, showing how much work these guys actually put into filming a 3min part. You can see them all on the Emerica Vimeo page here: http://vimeo.com/emerica/videos

Brandon Westgate possibly has the best part. A good illustration of how fast he skates is to watch how far he flies / slides from the trick when he slams: http://vimeo.com/24237360

Nice!

I just got done watching Westgate's Epically Later'd and the slams are ridiculous. The boy has no fear, but also seems to be the nicest person ever.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Breaking news! Man jumps from improbably tall obstacle: http://vimeo.com/24058175

karphead
Apr 20, 2001

Tenterhooks posted:

Breaking news! Man jumps from improbably tall obstacle: http://vimeo.com/24058175

:suspense:

another recent clip of his:

http://hellaclips.com/videos/view/3113

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Tenterhooks posted:

Aaaaaaand that's the last time his knees will let him do that :D

Gaps are bloody entertaining to watch.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
Enjoying the sporadic sunny weather during winter here in Aus. Been working on getting more height down stairs (starting small) at one of the local small town's primary school.

*Need to get an actual camera, my phone requires to many attemts to get the timing right.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

Nope.

He didn't land that; if you'll watch closely, they replace a dude on a skateboard with a loving robot with superman goddamn knees and balls made of balls of steel because survival instincts do not work like that

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I decided to build and prototype a funboard and give a big "gently caress you!" to all the technical riding of the world for a day.

48" long (about 36" wheelbase), .5" camber and some meaty kicktails. Dancers are so much fun, it is skateboarding for the soul! I was geeking out over how much fun I had for hours after I was done riding for the day...

So I thought I'd talk about what I do for a minute...

I work for a tiny company in Toronto called Roarockit Skateboard Company. You may have heard of us though many haven't. We sell a kit designed to take vacuum pressing to a level accessible for everyone from small curious children to the old guard woodworkers. It's reusable, long-term cheap and very versatile. Creating a mold for it is very easy and fast as you only need a single sided mold to press a deck. It can handle everything from baltic birch to carbon-kevlar composites and fiberglassing to our very own 1/16" canadian rock maple veneer (we distribute thin maple veneers worldwide, stronger and more durable than the chinese maple poo poo you get from a retail deck).

Anyways, enough with the company shilling; I've been building boards for just over a year now. I've tried my hand at street decks, drop through, Evos, drop decks, pool riders, speedboards, etc and I ride them all! I'm currently learning and perfecting how to lay up composite fabrics and I've been toying with formaica trying to push the boundaries of typical flexy and stiff designs without relying on adding/removing maple layers. I don't have access to industry CNC machines so I can't do foamcore carbon decks but who wants to pay 600$ for a deck that's worthless in DH and too expensive to thrash anyways? I've also only got cursory knowledge about industrial design and press. Since we're a small company we can't afford huge hot-press machines so I build in small numbers only.

What I want to offer the thread is my help. Whether you're new to building and have questions about how to start or experienced and have concerns or problems just ask!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Jerry Hsu's Stay Gold b-sides are up: http://vimeo.com/24591049 it's essentially 15 minutes of a dude beating the poo poo out of himself.

A little bit of context - Hsu had a pretty serious ankle injury while filming and his Emerica part ended up being a short collection of switch tricks. As a result, these b-sides include a lot of regular stuff that they didn't use, plus a ton of sketchy misses.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

I decided to build and prototype a funboard and give a big "gently caress you!" to all the technical riding of the world for a day.

48" long (about 36" wheelbase), .5" camber and some meaty kicktails. Dancers are so much fun, it is skateboarding for the soul! I was geeking out over how much fun I had for hours after I was done riding for the day...

So I thought I'd talk about what I do for a minute...

I work for a tiny company in Toronto called Roarockit Skateboard Company. You may have heard of us though many haven't. We sell a kit designed to take vacuum pressing to a level accessible for everyone from small curious children to the old guard woodworkers. It's reusable, long-term cheap and very versatile. Creating a mold for it is very easy and fast as you only need a single sided mold to press a deck. It can handle everything from baltic birch to carbon-kevlar composites and fiberglassing to our very own 1/16" canadian rock maple veneer (we distribute thin maple veneers worldwide, stronger and more durable than the chinese maple poo poo you get from a retail deck).

Anyways, enough with the company shilling; I've been building boards for just over a year now. I've tried my hand at street decks, drop through, Evos, drop decks, pool riders, speedboards, etc and I ride them all! I'm currently learning and perfecting how to lay up composite fabrics and I've been toying with formaica trying to push the boundaries of typical flexy and stiff designs without relying on adding/removing maple layers. I don't have access to industry CNC machines so I can't do foamcore carbon decks but who wants to pay 600$ for a deck that's worthless in DH and too expensive to thrash anyways? I've also only got cursory knowledge about industrial design and press. Since we're a small company we can't afford huge hot-press machines so I build in small numbers only.

What I want to offer the thread is my help. Whether you're new to building and have questions about how to start or experienced and have concerns or problems just ask!

This is really cool. For the longest time I've thought of pressing my own deck(s) as more of hobby than as an income. Two things that have put me off are:

- Space. I live in a small flat, with no access to a garage/shop.
- Money. I don't own a lot of tools so I would need to buy them. Plus I'm a poor student.

So what tips can you give for making a mould/press that doesn't take up a lot of space but is also fairly cheap to construct, all the while being effective.

I'd also like to hear how you go from design to the final deck. This is purely because I'm nosey and like to know how people work.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Heres a picture of my new Landyachtz Switchblade. It has bear grizzly trucks and 84a monster hawgs. Everything is great so far and its a really fun board. :)

also to the guy above, this is a skateboard company made by some guys I know my age (18) http://www.facebook.com/blahskateboards they manage to make plenty of boards and there's only actually one guy shaping so I'm sure you could manage to do it :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mincher posted:

This is really cool. For the longest time I've thought of pressing my own deck(s) as more of hobby than as an income. Two things that have put me off are:

- Space. I live in a small flat, with no access to a garage/shop.
- Money. I don't own a lot of tools so I would need to buy them. Plus I'm a poor student.

So what tips can you give for making a mould/press that doesn't take up a lot of space but is also fairly cheap to construct, all the while being effective.

I'd also like to hear how you go from design to the final deck. This is purely because I'm nosey and like to know how people work.

Because I don't want to be adspace in this thread I'll say this now: If your issues with building come down to space and money, PM me and let's talk business. Roarockit has solutions for you. This goes for everyone else curious about starting their own thing. If you want to 'DIY' your own solution do some reading. Good starting points are for a rib press, dimm press, concrete mold and hot press. Roarockit's website has a lot of tutorials regarding foam molds as well.

Regarding my design process, I look through the Concrete Wave buyers guide and steal everyone else's ideas. I'm not a good inventor but I am really good at figuring out where people went wrong with their own ideas and intentions. Other than that I waste tons of paper drawing silly shapes or I'll just tool around with bezier curves on the computer.

Boards are really easy to design. If you're just starting out it's best to stay simple and straight copy someone else's board. Otherwise you'll end up like 80% of the people on silverfish who ask a million questions about a million things when all they do is push. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you don't need to put in a billion features. Landyatchz and a lot of other companies are going to learn what feature creep means in a year or two. You could DH and slide a loving piece of driftwood on trucks.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 6, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

My friends and I have been on an 80s binge lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYKWli-pOU0&feature=related

I'm completely envious of Ray Barbee's floating style....

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Love that part.

I had completely forgotten about the Nickelodeon show SK8 TV. Wow. I ran across it in the Ray Barbee videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9fm9cHZQRo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdUDhMowaw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X5Aq_VoiAM&feature=related

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 7, 2011

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
WARNING: Some noob-rear end questions follow!

So as soon as my local skate shop gets the trucks I want in (apparently Paris had a batch of bad bushings), I'm going to take the plunge and buy all the parts I've been eying and build my first longboard. I've been googling around, and I've found lots of stuff on maintenance and setup and even pressing your own deck, but I'm having trouble finding something comprehensive as to just the assembly of the board.

I think I can handle attaching the trucks to the board, that's pretty straightforward. Specifically I'm wondering about attaching the wheels. How do you put the bearings/spacers in? How do you attach them to the trucks? How do you avoid over/undertightening things?

If anyone knows any good articles on the stuff, ideally with pictures, or any good Youtube tutorials or the like, that would rule.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How you didn't manage to google that I don't know but here are some answers!

Wheels are just as straightforward. A handy tip is to put the outer bearing in first (you can jam it in by hand or whatever, bearings are pretty durable) and then place a bearing and the spacer on the axle and slide the wheel over both. If you have (good) spacers you can't overtighten it so crank that badboy down!

Seriously though don't over think this, it's all so obvious what you need to do when you see it you'll think assembling 4 square Lego into a bigger square was hard.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It can be kind of tricky, and I can see how a beginner might be scared of messing something up. Just make sure you use even pressure when pressing the bearings into the wheels (this can be tricky, some wheels have really tight hubs), and get bearing spacers. If you have speed rings (which should come with the trucks) and spacers, you can just crank the axle nuts down until they're nice and tight, the spacers will keep everything lined up and prevent damage. Just make sure you don't bend or crush the shields on the bearing when you're pressing them in and don't let your wrench or socket chew them up when tightening the nuts. Check them after you ride for a bit, sometimes they don't seat all the way until you get out and carve a bit. When all is said and done it should be laid out like this:

Axle nut - Speed ring - Bearing - Spacer - Bearing - Speed Ring

If you put the bearings and spacers in your wheels before mounting them, you can use an inkpen to center the spacers as you slide the wheels on.

Edit: This reminds me of something else. Since it's warming up and people are getting out more, I'd like to remind people to inspect their hardware and replace it as necessary. Ever notice how all of the nuts on your board have a plastic ring on the end? Those are called Nylock nuts, and the ring is made of nylon. On a new nut, the threads of the bolt or stud cut into that ring and it provides some grip which helps keep the nut from backing off. If you mess around with your setup a lot and are taking these on and off, be sure to replace them once in a while. If you can finger tighten nuts past the nylon, they need to be replaced. This is especially important on axle nuts, since the rotation can back them off frighteningly quick. Most towns/cities have a hardware supplier that sells nuts and bolts, etc. Go drop $5 and you can have all kinds of nuts and bolts which are handy to have around. If you look around you can find the specs for the hardware you need, or just bring a sample of what you need with you and they can probably help you out. Axle nuts are 5/16"-24 nylock jamb nuts, for example. The 5/16" is the inside diameter, the 24 indicates the thread pitch, and jamb nuts are thinner than a standard nut. This is key because many axles don't have enough thread on them for the nylon to reach the threads on a standard nut.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 7, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have never used a spacer in my life.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I really like them, if nothing else they make your board quiet. I've scared countless pedestrians on local pathways because they couldn't hear me until I was almost close enough to touch them. They also supposedly help prevent flatspots when sliding, but I mostly just like having a quiet ride.

Uncle Leo
Oct 16, 2009
Anyone here from Cardiff per chance? Down for work this week and will be up the plaza! :)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Happy Go Skateboard day!

In celebration I went out and got ollies locked in! I haven't tried to go up curbs yet but hey.

A tip to anyone who wants to learn: Don't gently caress around, buy a skateboard to learn skateboard tricks. It took forever on a flexible loaded board...

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Finally (I think) got my son into skating!

He wanted to ride his bike at the local park (yea yea) so we head down there. He is riding for a few in what is a basically empty park when I head out to the truck to grab my board (haven't left home with out it since 87). The second I walked in the gate the ENTIRE place stops to the whispers of "that kids dad skates"

Quick roll in and commence to carving the place up like nobody's business. Quick glance at the kid and he is grinning ear to ear after he sees me stick a few transfers (yesssssss) I've seen that look many many times. "I want to do that"

Next day he wants to learn, I take him to a parking lot up the street and get him pushing around, Tic Tacs by the end of the day. Wife says he was riding in the driveway before camp the day after that (skating because he wanted to not just with dad).

Queue the best fathers day present. EVER. Pic of a pic - sorry for the crappy quality.

Now watch this and get stoked to skate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5HizxelXc

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The most important part of bearing spacers are avoiding blown out bearings, and simply making them function properly. If you don't have the spacer in there, you will squeeze the bearings out of alignment if you tighten your wheels all the way down.
Been loving my Comet Ethos, such an awesome board. I need to get a second set of Caliber trucks and set up my Fullbag Elise for going faster again

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

h3r0n posted:

"that kids dad skates"
I've seen that happen at parks before, does it make you feel like a total badass? Because I've always thought "drat, that kid's dad skates, he's a total badass."

h3r0n posted:

At about 1:30ish, he bails without really doing a trick other than pumping. poo poo like that makes me feel good, because if even John Cardiel will sometimes bail just going down a slope like that, I should stop feeling so much fuckin shame when I do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Anyone who skates who is a dad IS the most bad-rear end of the bad asses. We need more dads at skate parks.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

We see tons of dads at the hills. Skaters never die, they just find low knee impact alternatives :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Dads rule.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

A tip to anyone who wants to learn: Don't gently caress around, buy a skateboard to learn skateboard tricks. It took forever on a flexible loaded board...

thats because its not a skateboard, thats like trying to stand up and surf on a boogie board...

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

any tips to nollie flips? I just can't get my other foot to flick.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

lemonslol posted:

any tips to nollie flips? I just can't get my other foot to flick.

Try getting switch flips down, or at least on their way to being consistent, then the nollie flip motion will come a lot easier. In fact, even switch ollies will help you with getting your ankle to roll a little.

When I pop fakie/nollie tricks I usually push the nose down and a little bit forward to get a nice pop. This might aid your weaker flick as your pushing the board counter to the foot you're sliding up the board. It's not a massive push forward, just a slight nuance.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Here is a small montage my friend made, it has some clips from the trip and some Montreal. The maintage coming soon!

http://fyours.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/to-consquiglio/

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sirkus posted:

Here is a small montage my friend made, it has some clips from the trip and some Montreal. The maintage coming soon!

http://fyours.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/to-consquiglio/
I love that weird Amish lookin dude in the background at like 50 seconds. That looks like it was fun

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"

h3r0n posted:

Finally (I think) got my son into skating!

First:

Also, Cardiel's Sight Unseen part is my favorite too! The speed and the style!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I appreciate that shop guys do it so often that they can grip a deck in 5 minutes and make it look flawless. I sure as hell don't have the time.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
My friends cousin destroying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoa8xhB15ck

And the slams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwTqll355w

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
This is a fairly stupid question I'm sure, but I've recently moved to Los Angeles, and traffic combined with dealing with parking has resulted in me just walking to most places I'd normally drive to. I've been thinking of getting a bike, but since I spent most of my teenage years skating I figured a skateboard would be more fun and less huge than a bike.

What type of board do I want to get just for cruising around? I've poked my head into a few board shops and the selection of types of skateboards (particularly in CA, it seems) is mind-boggling. It seems like it would make sense to get a long board, but there's even multiple kinds of those now. What's the best "Hey you haven't skateboarded for 10 years but now just want to skate to the gym and stuff" skateboard to get?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Mincher posted:

My friends cousin destroying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoa8xhB15ck

And the slams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwTqll355w

This guy rips hard!
I broke my board and my wrist today kickflip boardsliding a rail down some stairs today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Put together a cruiser board. Longboards are honestly not that loving convenient. They're really big and they don't turn well...which is to say they turn but quite wide and if you're just going to be on sidewalks in Los Angeles I would suggest not getting one. IN fact you could just buy a regular board and through on some big wheels on it. That way you could switch it up if you ever wanted to do anything else on it.