Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
But his first memory will always have been of vomiting all over the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheYellowFog posted:

Why not just watch it, its probably available at at least one library in whatever city you live in. Kubrick didnt just like it, he called it the only masterpiece he's ever seen (might just be a rumour). A few of them are slower than others but they are all great for different reasons. Number 1 and 5 are the most depressing one's for me.

e: hey part 1 is on youtube with subtitles so now there's no excuse :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXpRn6etGw

I just finished Dekalog, jeden (the first one) and wow. I don't know if Kubrik's considering this to be a masterpiece is apocryphal but just from the first one alone I'd believe it. Almost every shot seems to have a meaningful purpose behind it, and nearly any screenshot you can take from it would be perfectly composed.

The panning shot at the lake blew me away, I had to watch it 2 or 3 times - the camera starts at the side of the lake, where you're unable to see the crack in the ice and you're wondering what happened, and the camera is jerky and making really quick small movements, and then as it pans to the left and you see the hole in the ice the camera slows down and pans smoothly, almost lazily, without jerking. As if you're nervously searching for something and then when your eyes finally make contact with the worst case scenario you can't breathe and everything goes numb... - it's one of the most thoughtful and beautiful shots I've seen, but it's so subtle and only maybe 3 seconds. Come to think of it I don't know why it impacted me so much, but it did so I guess the director did his job :)

Wow. I was planning on watching as many of these as I can tonight, but I think I'll just watch the second one and call it a night. These will have to absorb for a little while.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

QPZIL posted:

Wow. I was planning on watching as many of these as I can tonight, but I think I'll just watch the second one and call it a night. These will have to absorb for a little while.

It's better to spread them out, but don't take too much time between them. There are a few little connections that are easier to pick up on when the others are still fresh in your mind.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
The Human Condition is pretty anti-war.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The Human Condition is pretty anti-war.

That sentence reads as both a great film recommendation and a profound statement.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Sweet Smell is HOT poo poo. It's just loving vicious; are there any other noir-ish films out there with this much teeth?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A Face In The Crowd isn't quite a noir but it's just as vicious (and also happens to be the movie of the month).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

atrus50 posted:

Sweet Smell is HOT poo poo. It's just loving vicious; are there any other noir-ish films out there with this much teeth?

Not really in the same vein, but these might appeal to you:

The Lineup
Night and the City
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
The Phenix City Story
Ace in the Hole
Beyond the Forest
The Big Combo
The Hitch-Hiker
I Walk Alone
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
Odds Against Tomorrow

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Brute Force

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

atrus50 posted:

Ace in the Hole is the very definition of vicious.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

TheYellowFog posted:

Why not just watch it, its probably available at at least one library in whatever city you live in. Kubrick didnt just like it, he called it the only masterpiece he's ever seen (might just be a rumour). A few of them are slower than others but they are all great for different reasons. Number 1 and 5 are the most depressing one's for me.

e: hey part 1 is on youtube with subtitles so now there's no excuse :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXpRn6etGw

My God, that was amazing. The scene at the end where the father knocked over the alter and the dripping wax fell onto the picture of Mary, making it look as if she was crying left me speechless. It's amazing how much Kieslowski was able to say with just with images alone, and all in under 50 minutes. I can't wait to see the rest of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone on Criterion Forum confirmed Miramax lost the rights to the Three Colors trilogy and Criterion has the current license from MK2. I wonder how many other Miramax holdings have expired - Like Water for Chocolate is high on my list of Miramax atrocities needing a decent release.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Doesn't Miramax hold the rights to Hard Boiled and The Killer? It'd be cool if Criterion could get those two in print again.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The Weinsteins own the rights, not Miramax.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

barkingclam posted:

Doesn't Miramax hold the rights to Hard Boiled and The Killer? It'd be cool if Criterion could get those two in print again.

I just bought the Dragon Dynasty release of Hard-Boiled. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but it seems to have a decent number of special features, and I've always been impressed with the quality of their other blu-rays

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Skwirl posted:

I just bought the Dragon Dynasty release of Hard-Boiled. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but it seems to have a decent number of special features, and I've always been impressed with the quality of their other blu-rays

Dragon Dynasty Blu-Rays consistently have the worst reviews. DVDBeaver on Hard Boiled:

quote:

This 1080P dual-layered transfer is quite inconsistent - looking nicely textured with grain in some shots and blatantly soft, waxy and DNR-ish in others. Detail is gone. There is also some notable damage in spots - mostly frame specific - but still noticeable. Despite a high bitrate - fans will consider this a disappointment - visually-speaking. There is something odd about this image quality that I will revisit to help identify.

Oyyy vey... This isn't as bad as Dragon Dynasty's The Killer in HD but we can't recommend this Blu-ray - it seems the errors outweigh the other benefits of a strong audio track and extras (although repeated). It can tend to look quite poor at times and we don't encourage purchasing or upgrading for those that already own the title on DVD. We wish the news was better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FitFortDanga posted:

Dragon Dynasty Blu-Rays consistently have the worst reviews. DVDBeaver on Hard Boiled:

Well shoot, that's disappointing, it's what I get for blind buying I guess. I just remember hearing good things about their dvd releases and the commentary tracks. The blu-ray I saw before was a newer Donnie Yen movie, which I imagine is a lot harder to mess up than something older.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Who's got the rights for A Better Tomorrow? I would love to see a decent release of it, along with A Better Tomorrow 2 for that matter even though Woo disowned everything but the final gunfight. They could do a double package like they did with Yojimbo/Sanjuro or the two Ozu films.

Come to think of it, Bullet in the Head could to with a decent release as well. You'd think with a name as recognizable as Woo's, his pre-Hollywood stuff wouldn't be that big of a risk to put out on a DVD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just an early heads up. B&N Criterion 50% off sale will be back on starting July 12th. Commence weeping over your soon-to-be-empty bank accounts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've never gotten in on a B&N sale before - is it online as well or just in-store?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

QPZIL posted:

I've never gotten in on a B&N sale before - is it online as well or just in-store?

Online as well, but in-store is advantageous because of the crazy prices you can get when you start to combine coupons. Last time around I got like 20 blu-rays for $13 each.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Criminal Minded posted:

Online as well, but in-store is advantageous because of the crazy prices you can get when you start to combine coupons. Last time around I got like 20 blu-rays for $13 each.

Holy poo poo :stare: It's like Christmas in July!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
And it's twice as awesome.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

QPZIL posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: It's like Christmas in July!

Universal has the rights to that, and they put a single-disc version out last month, so it's extremely unlikely. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek is a slight possibility though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Newsletter clue is obviously the Three Colors trilogy. "Red" is on their Hulu channel, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The clue:

Also up is Sam Smith's poster for World On a Wire, which is getting a Janus release/tour, so that's probably coming at some point too:

(click for link)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I absolutely fell for "Elevator To The Gallows," would I like Louis Malle's other films? The coming B&N sale plus Criterion's increasing catalog of his work is tempting me to make a collection out of Malle.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

Dragon Dynasty Blu-Rays consistently have the worst reviews.

True, but they also often have Bey Logan commentaries which are normally really good and really help you understand and appreciate a film even more (the best thing a commentary can do).

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Space Fish posted:

If I absolutely fell for "Elevator To The Gallows," would I like Louis Malle's other films? The coming B&N sale plus Criterion's increasing catalog of his work is tempting me to make a collection out of Malle.

None of his films are very similar, so you might just be better off checking out noir films from the same period. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't check out some more Malle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is Zazie any good? I've got the book on hold at the library and the Three Reasons video was terrific, but I don't know if I want to blind-buy it.

Also, I own but don't really want The Magician and Bigger Than Life on blu-ray, anyone up for trading?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Announcement day. These are the likely releases:

The Phantom Carriage
Wild Strawberries
3 Women
Les Cousins
Le Beau Serge
Carlos

I've gotta quit reading Facebook hints and cf.org. I miss the days of being surprised. But maybe there'll still be a surprise or two.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wait, 3 Women, really? What hint was that? I love that movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wait, 3 Women, really? What hint was that? I love that movie.

Something on Twitter apparently.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

W.C. Fields: Six Short Films is now showing "New, restored high-definition digital transfer".

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

W.C. Fields: Six Short Films is now showing "New, restored high-definition digital transfer".

Most, if not all, DVD releases show that, don't they?

http://www.criterion.com/films/455-au-hasard-balthazar

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He just has a giant boner for W.C. Fields.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He just has a giant boner for W.C. Fields.

He refreshes that W.C. Fields page every hour so he would notice if something changed.

OH NO W.C. DON'T LET THAT BLIND DUDE NEAR THAT DISPLAY OF LIGHT BULBS! NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A massive rasterbation of W.C. Fields stares down at him from the ceiling. Each morning, as he awakes, he is refreshed upon seeing the visage of his Comedy God. "Today," he whispers, stroking his inner thigh, "today will be glorious."

ps egbert we love you

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion posted:

One of the titles we're announcing today is a 4-DVD set (2-Blu-ray), can you guess it?

Carlos, maybe? If it's stacked with extras? Or a Chabrol set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
That has to be Carlos.