Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
quote="dabomb"]
just finished the second season (episode 54) and all I can say is, drat. Those last 5 episodes were mind-blowing in terms of what happened.

Not sure if spoilers are necessary considering the series is now like 10+ years old but anyways:

Yang's actions are so frustrating, but on an intellectual level you have to feel for him and understand why he does what he does. Still pissed me off how close to success they were only to give up.

Interested to see what happens from this point on
[/quote]

You're just getting into the swing of the good stuff. I envy your LOGH-virginal mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hundley
May 26, 2010

by mons al-madeen

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dabomb, you should not read these spoilers

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if Julian had bit it instead of Yang. I know that it's more powerful for Yang to die, but I just never had nearly as much interest in the adventures of JULIAN MINCI, BOY WONDER as I did in that lovable ol' history nerd.

(GAME-BREAKING SPOILERS PEOPLE)

I think Yang's death was actually a really good move for the show. Honestly I was kind of getting a little bit sick of how perfect he was with his boundless idealism and superbly goody-goody attitude coupled with his ability to solve any problem and win any battle despite ridiculous odds. His death dramatically changed all that, made him seem much more vulnerable and not at all the untouchable bastion of Democracy he had appeared to be, which really lent weight to his amazing accomplishments and influence. Don't get me wrong; I love Yang and was heavily affected by his death and for a while couldn't imagine continuing with the series, but I think it was the right decision.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hundley posted:

I think Yang's death was actually a really good move for the show. Honestly I was kind of getting a little bit sick of how perfect he was with his boundless idealism and superbly goody-goody attitude coupled with his ability to solve any problem and win any battle despite ridiculous odds. His death dramatically changed all that, made him seem much more vulnerable and not at all the untouchable bastion of Democracy he had appeared to be, which really lent weight to his amazing accomplishments and influence. Don't get me wrong; I love Yang and was heavily affected by his death and for a while couldn't imagine continuing with the series, but I think it was the right decision.

I would say that Yang's and Reinhard's deaths were meant to crush any hero worship in the audience, both in that they died and the ways they died..

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hundley posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a great decision. Like I said, I think it was more powerful to have Yang die. I think my real complaint is with Julian's ascension, not with Yang's death; he's just a little too much of a boy wonder and... his voice kind of annoys me. (Yeah, Reinhard was pretty absurdly savant as well, but then I never found him quite as interesting to watch as a lot of other characters anyway.) It's hard for me to really enjoy Julian like I do a lot of the other characters.

I'm really not sure how I would "fix" it either. It's not a showstopping flaw, it's just something that I don't like as much, although interestingly it does make the Imperial-centric episodes that much more interesting to me in the last season (well that and also the escalating Reuental situation).

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Yeah, it was definitely a great decision. Like I said, I think it was more powerful to have Yang die. I think my real complaint is with Julian's ascension, not with Yang's death; he's just a little too much of a boy wonder and... his voice kind of annoys me. (Yeah, Reinhard was pretty absurdly savant as well, but then I never found him quite as interesting to watch as a lot of other characters anyway.) It's hard for me to really enjoy Julian like I do a lot of the other characters.

I'm really not sure how I would "fix" it either. It's not a showstopping flaw, it's just something that I don't like as much, although interestingly it does make the Imperial-centric episodes that much more interesting to me in the last season (well that and also the escalating Reuental situation).

Whatever man, Reinhard kicked a kid in the groin and hit him with a rock. 'nuff said.

TheDjinni
Sep 13, 2007
Honestly, while Yang's death was a powerful move, I'm on the other side of things. His victories never bothered me, but how Reinhard was so perfect at everything is what sort of got old with me. Especially when I got to the side stories and was kind of ticked that they weren't equally split between the empire and the free alliance, giving preference to the empire and Reinhard side.

You can tell which ones the creators favored, alright

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

TheDjinni posted:

You can tell which ones the creators favored, alright

I wouldn't say this was because the creators favoured Reinhard more so much as Yang wasn't really supposed to have been super notable before the main series beyond a few isolated incidents.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 15, 2010

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
i laughed when count mariendorf in his thoughts to himself basically called reinhardt a total spergin' nerd

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Do they ever explain why infantry use axes and crossbows instead of more modern weaponry?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

beer_war posted:

Do they ever explain why infantry use axes and crossbows instead of more modern weaponry?

It's because of Zephyr particle usage and the fact that armor tends to be impenetrable to lasers unless it hits certain areas. As to why they don't use shell weaponry, :iiam: Maybe they set Zephyr Particles off too easily?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't remember them mentioning anything about armour being too tough for lasers. I think it's just Zephyr particles and the potential risk involved with using firearms inside a space ship even outside of invisible explosives.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chelsea clinton posted:

I don't remember them mentioning anything about armour being too tough for lasers. I think it's just Zephyr particles and the potential risk involved with using firearms inside a space ship even outside of invisible explosives.
There's definitely at least one scene where a group of Grenadier are slowly walking towards someone with lasers bouncing off of their armor. I want to say it was when the Earth Terraist base was destroyed.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

There's definitely at least one scene where a group of Grenadier are slowly walking towards someone with lasers bouncing off of their armor. I want to say it was when the Earth Terraist base was destroyed.

Yes, as well as during the raid on the Hotel during the whole kidnap-Yang-back deal.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

beer_war posted:

Unfortunately, they never give really good reasons behind some handwaving zephyr particle mutually-assured-destruction bullshit. If I was the last guy alive on a side, I'd be drat sure to surround myself with zephyr particles.

It's just a way to get some nice melee combat action, I think.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Can someone explain to me what the deal is with corridors? I'm up to episode 30 now and I've never quite worked out why they all have to meet at Iserlohn (or Phezzan I guess) instead of just going around it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Konsek posted:

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with corridors? I'm up to episode 30 now and I've never quite worked out why they all have to meet at Iserlohn (or Phezzan I guess) instead of just going around it.

Quite simple. The areas around are dense with black holes and stars I believe, and those areas are the only two safe routes between empire space and republic space.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Konsek posted:

Interstellar travel is necessarily that between stars. Hence, there are limited "channels" where interstellar travel can occur. Furthermore, the two factions are located on different spiral arms, meaning that there aren't many areas where they can move between the two arms short of going towards the galactic core, which would take forever. The troublesome issue with the corridors themselves is that they're largely black hole filled, making travel very difficult.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I've introduced a few friends to this series. We've been watching it in 2-3 hour chunks at a time a couple times a week, and got to episodes 82 and 83 last night. We've generally had an idle banter going on through each episode about history/politics/wars/sci-fi, since everyone can still read the subtitles while its going on, but as soon as the shooting started in 82, it was dead silence. The first thing that was said right after Yang's death was "WHAT?! They can't do that! Where the hell is the show going to go now?!"

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Having watched the entire series and side stories I found the series very enjoyable. But one thing that bothers me about it is the short timeline, where Reinhard accomplishes far too much in the space of a mere five years. Friedrich IV makes him Fleet Admiral in charge of half the imperial fleet when he is twenty years old, and he rules the entire inhabited galaxy at twenty-five. It would seem more reasonable if it happened over a period of twenty years, say, where he entered the military at age twenty, spent several years rising through the ranks and gathering allies and made emperor when he was in his thirties at the earliest. Then again, unreasonably young protagonists are a staple in anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

Having watched the entire series and side stories I found the series very enjoyable. But one thing that bothers me about it is the short timeline, where Reinhard accomplishes far too much in the space of a mere five years. Friedrich IV makes him Fleet Admiral in charge of half the imperial fleet when he is twenty years old, and he rules the entire inhabited galaxy at twenty-five. It would seem more reasonable if it happened over a period of twenty years, say, where he entered the military at age twenty, spent several years rising through the ranks and gathering allies and made emperor when he was in his thirties at the earliest. Then again, unreasonably young protagonists are a staple in anime.

Well it also serves to enforce that he's a wunderkind, and honestly that sort of thing has historical precedence. This is just on a galactic scale. Yang is like 30, officially making him amongst the most elderly of anime main characters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This is a really trivial and silly question for such a good show but it's proven a contentious point of debate with my friend:

Are the Free Planets Alliance uniforms ever straight black?
I always thought they were a really dark green, but he's showed me a bunch of pictures from the show where they seem to be pretty unambiguously black, that my brain just never processed as black before. Do they change at some point, or is it just poor contrast?

(I'd feel worse about bumping this thread for this question, but it really deserves all the attention it can get, for whatever reason.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

This is a really trivial and silly question for such a good show but it's proven a contentious point of debate with my friend:

Are the Free Planets Alliance uniforms ever straight black?
I always thought they were a really dark green, but he's showed me a bunch of pictures from the show where they seem to be pretty unambiguously black, that my brain just never processed as black before. Do they change at some point, or is it just poor contrast?

(I'd feel worse about bumping this thread for this question, but it really deserves all the attention it can get, for whatever reason.)

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine they are intended as black and painted dark blue so you don't lose detail?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well that's definitely true for the black Imperial uniforms, but the FPA are green if they're any color.

Some context, I've always felt they're this dark green color:

My friend sees them as black, like in this fan art:

And here are a couple cells from the anime that don't clear things up:

So is this supposed to be dark green or black?

For context, my friend is going to an anime con in an Imperial uniform, and he wants me to dress up in an FPA uniform. I am resisting on the grounds that his jacket he wants me to use is black, not green... but the more I look at pictures from the anime, the more it looks like they could basically be black.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
They are totally dark green. I mean, there are instances when the FPA uniform is distinctly green, and with the exception of the white dress uniform all FPA soldiers look essentially the same except for special ribbons and insignia.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eiba posted:

And here are a couple cells from the anime that don't clear things up:

So is this supposed to be dark green or black?

Those cels are totally green, there's not even a question here. I suggest you fix your friend fix his eyes and/or monitor.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Also weirdly enough I just had the idea of doing a FPA/Yang cosplay project myself the other day, if I could just get my hands on a decent jacket. Sadly acquiring or making that sort of thing is quite out of my reach.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Those cels are totally green, there's not even a question here. I suggest you fix your friend fix his eyes and/or monitor.

It depends on the contrast. At certain contrasts that is very obviously green and others its so black you'd wonder where anyone could possibly get green.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

It depends on the contrast. At certain contrasts that is very obviously green and others its so black you'd wonder where anyone could possibly get green.

Hence fix his monitor; if he can't tell that's green it's set wrong. There's a faster way to settle this though:

Green is higher than red and blue, which are the same. Granted, this is a fairly dark green on this cel, but when you combine the pictures where the green is super obvious with the fact that even at its darkest it's more green than gray, and there is no debate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Takanago posted:

Also weirdly enough I just had the idea of doing a FPA/Yang cosplay project myself the other day, if I could just get my hands on a decent jacket. Sadly acquiring or making that sort of thing is quite out of my reach.

Yeah, a basic FPA Star Fleet uniform would be pretty easy once you had the jacket. I always figured you'd have to hire someone to make the jacket, but I don't know where one would go for that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In the course of attempting to make it for yourself, you'd learn a lot about how to make it for yourself.

Then you could be the go-to guy for the other nine LGH cosplayers in the world. :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, a basic FPA Star Fleet uniform would be pretty easy once you had the jacket. I always figured you'd have to hire someone to make the jacket, but I don't know where one would go for that.
My friend just happened to have a jacket that does look exactly like the one in the anime, only black.

It's not the right color, but I... I think I'm going to end up doing FPA cosplay anyway. Well, I wasn't doing anything with my dignity anyway.

Kiamet
Feb 2, 2007

In its early days, TV was like a nymphomaniac clairvoyant. A medium you could turn on with a knob.
Just finished watching this series. It was a great show, but it's hard to pin down exactly why when I tell people about it. I enjoyed all the ideological banter between characters. Admiral Bucock's last stand was probably my favourite space battle. The Terraists were silly looking villains, but after they killed Yang they seemed to fit in with the story a bit more.

The best thing about the show is that it could easily have just been about Reinhard, but the show was very deliberate about it's rounded portrayal of 'heroes' and their destinies. I love the show's final line, but it made me sad that Yang didn't get to see history 'begin'.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I just finished the series this weekend. There were a lot of slow parts and I almost dropped the show after episode 82, but the last 5 or so episodes were so well done and executed extremely smartly as well.

Are the movies/OVAs any good?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There's not much reason for you to watch the movies now. The first one happens before the series, the second takes the place of the first two episodes.

The OVAs mostly aren't bad (aside from Golden Wings, which isn't subbed yet anyway) but you won't kick yourself for missing out or anything.

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010

Maxwells Demon posted:

I just finished the series this weekend. There were a lot of slow parts and I almost dropped the show after episode 82, but the last 5 or so episodes were so well done and executed extremely smartly as well.

I thought the two gaiden series were perfectly fine and on par with the rest of the series in terms of enjoyment aside from a few dull episodes. It focuses mostly on Reinhard and Siegfried though as they work their way up the ranks of the military with the exception of one arc which focuses on Yang.

Golden Wings is pretty bad though and I didn't think the first movie was very good either. The second movie is a pretty good retelling of the first two episodes though and the higher quality makes it pretty sweet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the OVA were kind of lame; they aren't hand drawn so the cheap animation looks even worse and for the most part the stories aren't compelling enough to justify the number of episodes dedicated. That said, it's free, it's more LoGH, and at worse it'll set you back a few hours if you don't care for them.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Maxwells Demon posted:

I've just seen the subbed gaidens, but I thought they were pretty good. Not as good as the best episodes in the main series, but definitely better than some of those slower parts in the main series.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Just watched Episode 51 and... drat. After 50 episodes of lifeless vessels shattering in space, and clean insta-kill laser shots, there's an entire one minute montage of soldiers suffering gruesome fates that make the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan look like a saturday morning cartoon.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a 'War is bad' scene so effectively jarring.

Also, it's criminal that this thread is almost two months stale, this anime deserves more attention.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It may be worth noting that C-A has finally put out DVD rips of the entire 110 episode main series, and the first group appear to not be the ones I know I had back when I first watched it, so it's possible these newest versions were made after somebody taught their guy what inverse telecine means. Next time you feel the itch to rewatch, you should trade up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChaosSamusX posted:

Just watched Episode 51 and... drat. After 50 episodes of lifeless vessels shattering in space, and clean insta-kill laser shots, there's an entire one minute montage of soldiers suffering gruesome fates that make the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan look like a saturday morning cartoon.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a 'War is bad' scene so effectively jarring.

Also, it's criminal that this thread is almost two months stale, this anime deserves more attention.

The thread is six and a half years old, about a series long finished and already seen by most people. There's not a huge amount of discussion to be had, unfortunately.