Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

So yeah, tested new font files and I get the same poo poo:

Screen on the right is Win7 with Office 2010 and the font installed. Font is embedded in the document (file size is 1.7mb) and the screen on the left is when I open it in a Win XP VM running 2007. But I'm getting the same result if I open it on Win 7/Office 2010 without the font installed on the system and server 2008 with Office 2007. What a load of goofy horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I have no idea then.

Keep in mind VM's aren't always reliable for comparison because they run in a lower bit depth which makes anti-aliasing & kerning look like rear end. (Unless they've resolved this?)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The font and spacing are completely different, not just aliasing. Look at the "P" and "Y", that provides a good reference. And I was recreating this on non-vm systems. I just did it this way so I could grab a side by side screenshot.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The font and spacing are completely different, not just aliasing. Look at the "P", that provides a good reference. And I was recreating this on non-vm systems. I just did it this way so I could grab a side by side screenshot.

No, I believe you! There definitely is something weird going on. This only happens with Myriad?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Minion Pro is another Adobe OpenFont with PostScript outlines and it behaves the same way. I also pulled down a goofy free OpenFont called CombiNumberals. Again, it is PostScript outlined and behaved the same way. OpenFont with TrueType outlines work perfectly everywhere.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Sounds like someone wants you to use PDF.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I really can't blame Adobe for this one as much as I want to. It should be up to Office to see that the OTF (a format which it says it supports and developed jointly with Acrobat) contains a PostScript outline and it won't work correctly unless it is installed locally.

The whole thing just really sucks balls because someone high up said that Myriad was going to be our standard for corporate branding and communications and "It is a default font, so compatibility won't be a problem". loving wrong, so wrong. And they only came to that conclusion because all the computers in their office have Creative Suite installed. And now I'm going to have to spend hours barking up the chain to figure out who made this call and explaining to them font format, licensing restrictions, and format interoperability. loving kill me.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone have any idea why one windows 7 box randomly stops seeing another's shared folder? I did this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=63123 to set everything up via SMB, and I have permissions open to read with anyone on the network.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I currently have a Radeon 4870 and have ordered a GeForce GTX570. When you change companies, I was under the impression that you needed to run something like Driver Sweeper to remove the old drivers. However, it looks like Guru 3D has discontinued it. I found a link on CNET, but that one seems to have add-on freeware crap. Is Driver Sweeper still the app of choice to remove graphics drivers? Is there something else?

If it matters,
Win 7 x64

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I've never removed a driver ever during all my hardware changes. Should I?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

raezr posted:

I've never removed a driver ever during all my hardware changes. Should I?

Windows will uninstall the drivers from active use when the device is gone but it will keep it in a the driver cache for a while in case you use it again. It doesn't hurt anything to leave them there, unless you're pressed for storage.

Now, obviously, for example, if you had an ATI card and Catalyst installed and you switch to Nvidia cards you should uninstall Catalyst just because it's useless, but no need to worry about drivers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble with id3 tags in Windows 7. I have a bunch of v2.4 tags that Windows/Media Player can't read or won't touch. I've deleted the 2.4 tags on a folder and then taken the info out of the 1.1 tags and put them into 2.3 but still nothing. I'm also thinking that some program, possibly iTunes has been bumping the tags up to 2.4 because it's happened to songs that were working fine previously.

Any ideas? (please don't just say "use foobar2k or itunes")

Edit: removing the id3v2 tags works, but it's not ideal. Just wondered if anyone had found a real fix to this issue yet.

Edit2: now the above isn't helping, tagit makes the changes, WiMP recognizes it and they revert back somehow breaking it again. As soon as I close media player and reopen it, the changes are undone. :iiam:

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 30, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Is there any way to rename a network printer in Windows 7?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Start -> Devices and Printers -> Right click on printer -> Printer Properties. That renames what the PC calls it; renaming the printer itself requires admin login to the printer.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Start -> Devices and Printers -> Right click on printer -> Printer Properties. That renames what the PC calls it; renaming the printer itself requires admin login to the printer.

I tried that, but it won't let me change the name.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Be sure you select Printer Properties and not just Properties, and then press the Change Properties button:

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I don't see a Microsoft Suite thread, so I guess this goes here:

Can anyone suggest a quick formula to display the bottom cell of columns of data of varying length in Excel?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Be sure you select Printer Properties and not just Properties, and then press the Change Properties button:

I have that for the XPS Printer, but not the network printer:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
And you can't just start typing and change it? Try it before replying.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

And you can't just start typing and change it? Try it before replying.

Yes, I already tried that. If it makes a difference, the printer is attached to a Synology DS211J.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'll add that using that screen I can change the name of printers directly connected to my PC, but not printers connected to my housemates' PCs that are shared over the network.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
Try browsing to the server (\\diskstation or whatever) and see if there's a "Printers and Faxes" folder. If there is, you should be able to rename it in there. If there isn't, you'll have to somehow do it directly on the device, or increase your permissions on the share.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

LoKout posted:

Try browsing to the server (\\diskstation or whatever) and see if there's a "Printers and Faxes" folder. If there is, you should be able to rename it in there. If there isn't, you'll have to somehow do it directly on the device, or increase your permissions on the share.

Nope, can't rename it. I tried to rename the printer from the Synology Control Panel, but there's no option to do that. Unless there's a sneaky way to do it by sshing into the box, it doesn't seem possible.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Do it through the registry?

Edit: Oh it's on a NAS, durh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can't you download Windows Vista images from Microsoft somewhere? My Dell Vostro obviously came with Windows (Vista Home Basic 32-bit, to be specific) and has the COA + key on the case, but I lost the DVD when I moved.

I will probably go search my parents basement where I put a bunch of my stuff, but I'd rather just download and burn a DVD. I thought for sure you could do this with at least Windows 7.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Well, I discovered a workaround...

You can't rename the printer if you add it from the network. However, you can install the printer as a local one on LPT1:, then add a Local Port with the UNC name of the printer share. In my case, it was \\Diskstation\usbprinter1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sizzlechest posted:

Well, I discovered a workaround...

You can't rename the printer if you add it from the network. However, you can install the printer as a local one on LPT1:, then add a Local Port with the UNC name of the printer share. In my case, it was \\Diskstation\usbprinter1

This is also useful for printing to network printers with old DOS software that isn't aware of network printers, and can only print to LPT1/LPT2/etc

DB Montgomery
Mar 30, 2005
Welcome to "Real **********ing Talk
I don't see a thread about IE9, so... is there a way to increase the number of sites in the address bar. In IE8 there was about 15, but now there's only 5 (excluding the history and favorites), and I can't find an option to change it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a killer feature to any of the major multi-platform IM clients? I've used Trillian, Miranda, Pidgin, Digsby, and more in the past couple years and I was using Raptr until it's in-game overlay stopped being useful :(

Anyone speak to either their personal preference, or at least any super cool features unique to any of them? I'd prefer something that mostly works out of the box (so no Miranda unless the team running it decided the default skin shouldn't look like rear end). I'm on Windows, btw.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a killer feature to any of the major multi-platform IM clients? I've used Trillian, Miranda, Pidgin, Digsby, and more in the past couple years and I was using Raptr until it's in-game overlay stopped being useful :(

Anyone speak to either their personal preference, or at least any super cool features unique to any of them? I'd prefer something that mostly works out of the box (so no Miranda unless the team running it decided the default skin shouldn't look like rear end). I'm on Windows, btw.
With Trillian you can start a conversation on your desktop, continue it on your phone, and then pick it up on your laptop.

http://blog.trillian.im/?p=1949

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Trillian still exists? Wow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

Trillian still exists? Wow.
Yeah, and it doesn't suck anymore!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

With Trillian you can start a conversation on your desktop, continue it on your phone, and then pick it up on your laptop.

http://blog.trillian.im/?p=1949

Yeah, saw this, it's making me lean towards Trillian. I was just wondering if maybe someone made some insane plugin for Pidgin or something when I wasn't paying attention.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Any idea why my Office 2010 keys would suddenly stop activating, whether by internet or robophone?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm trying to find a desktop e-mail client that can display e-mails in a gmail-kind of way.
The reason why I want this is because I usually have my browser with my personal e-mail account, while I set up thunderbird, or whatever the gently caress is the Mozilla mail client now to my work account.

Any suggestions?

I've tried GeeMail, which runs on Adobe AIR, but it didn't really work properly. There was also a thunderbird plugin that did the same, but it was awful.

If you don't know any client that does this, what's your favorite mail client, and why?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Any idea why my Office 2010 keys would suddenly stop activating, whether by internet or robophone?

You can only activate Office on two computers, one of which has to be a portable device (though I doubt it checks that). If you're trying to transfer Office to a new computer, you'll have to call support and get them to activate it for you.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dpbjinc posted:

You can only activate Office on two computers, one of which has to be a portable device (though I doubt it checks that). If you're trying to transfer Office to a new computer, you'll have to call support and get them to activate it for you.

The key in question has only ever been activated on my laptop, which is where I'm currently trying to activate it, which has had no hardware changes aside from a RAM upgrade since the last time I installed it.

It does bear pointing out that this is a technet key; do those ever expire or something?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Non Serviam posted:

I'm trying to find a desktop e-mail client that can display e-mails in a gmail-kind of way.
The reason why I want this is because I usually have my browser with my personal e-mail account, while I set up thunderbird, or whatever the gently caress is the Mozilla mail client now to my work account.

Any suggestions?

I've tried GeeMail, which runs on Adobe AIR, but it didn't really work properly. There was also a thunderbird plugin that did the same, but it was awful.

If you don't know any client that does this, what's your favorite mail client, and why?

Well, Outlook does conversation threading. Not particularly well, but it does it.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
This might belong in its own thread but, take a shot here first:

I've got a handful of "Basic EFS" certificates showing up in the certificate snap-in on my backup Windows DC which is running the AD CS role. This is something I didn't set up myself, and we're looking to decom that server soon. It seems few (6-7 users) have certs issued. As far as I've been able to determine so far, these users aren't actively encrypting any files. Is there some way I can determine why or how these certificates are being issued and track them down? I don't want to kill the server and find out that there are some unrecoverable encrypted files on some workstations.

Anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Non Serviam posted:

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Is message threading the feature you're looking for? Thunderbird does it natively, you know.