Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
A couple of years ago some crazy Australians made a doco called Not Quite Hollywood; The wild, untold story of Ozploitation which I personally really enjoyed. Well now they have a new one called Machete Maidens Unleashed which is about exploitation films made in the Philippines. If you are Australian it was broadcast on ABC a couple of weeks ago and so may still be up on Iview with a couple of the films discussed. Otherwise you will just have to keep an eye out for it. If you loved the original documentary and enjoy exploitation/grindhouse films then this one is great fun. Quentin Tarantino does not make an appearance which also helps it out.

Here is a little teaser. :nws: for the excessive violence and titties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig38Cyzm26k

Headhunters of WW2 is about the Australian special forces unit Z-Unit who, while deployed in Borneo, recruited the locals and gave them permission to return to headhunting as a way of warding off the Japanese who had taken the island.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33b_1286926463

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Wrageowrapper posted:

Here is a little teaser. :nws: for the excessive violence and titties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig38Cyzm26k

That was odd.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
There is an a fantastic documentary How to Die in Oregon that premiered at Sundance this year. Oregon passed the Death With Dignity Act in 1997 which allows terminal patients with less than 6 months to live to commit suicide in a safe, comfortable and controlled fashion. It won the Grand Jury Prize in the U. S. Documentary Competition. It was compelling and tragic, but absolutely reinforced my support for assisted suicide. The people who were featured were amazing, especially the central character of he film, Cody Curtis. I'm trying to work towards getting a similar death with dignity bill passed in California.

Spoiler warning for the squeamish, if you want to go into the movie cold do not read:

Dude dies on screen at the beginning.

It's on HBO this Thursday May 26 8PM PDT.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

What are some other good Derren Brown docs online?

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
The man who contacts the dead is another good one. It's part one in a series of three where he investigates psychic/supernatural claims and, more importantly, the people who make them.

Also, The Heist and Seance can be recommended but are not documentaries as such but are just the witch loving with peoples minds.

If you're on a Derren Brown kick I recommend looking for Trick or Treat on DVD or whatever.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 26, 2011

MolierePumpsMyNads
May 2, 2011

Drewsky posted:

What are some other good Derren Brown docs online?

Aside from what's been mentioned, Hero at 30000 Feet was alright. It was one of his stunts rather than a doc, though it was an inspiring view of how action vs. inaction can affect a person's life and attitudes.

Luse
Apr 26, 2006

I have a sore throat lol
Ctrl+F'd like a madman and couldn't see this posted yet.

Black Power Salute

I found this Youtube 6 part playlist of it a while ago.

It's a really interesting BBC documentary on the 1986 Olympics in Mexico, the attempted boycott by black athletes, and the Black Power Salute given by Tommie Smith and John Carlos during their medal ceremony.

Luse fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 26, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Saw this link in the History thread. The Kahn Acadamy videos about pretty much EVERYTHING.
http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

Saw this link in the History thread. The Kahn Acadamy videos about pretty much EVERYTHING.

What the poo poo, that list :psyduck:

Thanks for the link.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Oh god, those are all free?

I can't wait to get home and LEARN

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Luse posted:

Black Power Salute

It's a really interesting BBC documentary on the 1986 Olympics in Mexico, the attempted boycott by black athletes, and the Black Power Salute given by Tommie Smith and John Carlos during their medal ceremony.

This is fantastic, thanks!

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Man Louie Theroux is getting old. He just looks...old especially in the Miami Part 1 one. Also it was interesting how he didn't wear any body armor when he did in the past jail documentaries.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations on Derren Brown. I love him.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Searched as thoroughly as I could through 40 pages for this and it didn't appear to be posted, so here is my contribution.

Exit Through the Gift Shop: A Banksy Film
Part 1 of 8 on youtube here

wikipedia posted:

Exit Through the Gift Shop: A Banksy Film is a film directed by Banksy that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art. The film charts Guetta's constant documenting of his every waking moment on film, from a chance encounter with his cousin, the artist Invader, to his introduction to a host of street artists with a focus on Shepard Fairey and Banksy, whose anonymity is preserved by obscuring his face and altering his voice, to Guetta's eventual fame as a street artist himself.

And part of what makes this so interesting:

wikipedia posted:

The film received overwhelmingly positive reviews, holding 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, and was nominated for Best Documentary in the 2011 Academy Awards.[5][6] One consistent theme in the reviews was the authenticity of the film: Was the film just an elaborate ruse on Banksy's part, or did Guetta really evolve into Mr. Brainwash overnight? The Boston Globe movie reviewer Ty Burr found it to be quite entertaining and awarded it four stars. He dismissed the notion of the film being a "put on" saying "I’m not buying it; for one thing, this story’s too good, too weirdly rich, to be made up. For another, the movie’s gently amused scorn lands on everyone."[7] Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 stars out of 4, starting his review saying that "The widespread speculation that Exit Through the Gift Shop is a hoax only adds to its fascination."[8] However, in an interview with SuicideGirls[9] filmmakers Jaimie D'Cruz and Chris King denied that it was a hoax, and expressed their growing frustration with the speculation that it was: "For a while we all thought that was quite funny, but it went on for so long. It was a bit disappointing when it became basically accepted as fact, that it was all just a silly hoax ... I felt it was a shame that the whole thing was going to be dismissed like that really - because we knew it was true."[10]

(Sorry, I know that's a long quote but it's an important part of the film).

http://www.banksyfilm.com/

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

The Suicide Tourist

Five months after being diagnosed with ALS, Craig Ewert arrived in Switzerland for his scheduled suicide. A story about struggling
to live ... and deciding when to die.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/

Slight possibility of being :nms: (99% of people will have no problem).

Thanks for this. I'm still in tears, really affected me.

Will try try to think of a doc to post when I'm done sobbing like a small child.

Luse
Apr 26, 2006

I have a sore throat lol
The Fab Five
Megavideo link here

I like sports, and I like documentaries. It's safe to say that I enjoyed watching this.

The Fab Five is a 2011 ESPN documentary about the 1990s Michigan Wolverines basketball players known collectively as the Fab Five: Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson.

Some interesting commentary from the players. My favorite part is where they call the Duke players bitches and Grant Hill an Uncle Tom.

quote:

Schools like Duke didn't recruit players like me, I felt that they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms. I was jealous of Grant Hill. He came from a great black family. Congratulations. Your mom went to college and was roommates with Hillary Clinton. Your dad played in the NFL as a very well-spoken and successful man. I was upset and bitter that my mom had to bust her hump for 20-plus years. I was bitter that I had a professional athlete that was my father that I didn't know. I resented that, moreso than I resented him. I looked at it as they are who the world accepts and we are who the world hates.

Luse fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 27, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wow. My emotions took a 180 on that quote. At one point I was like, "Wow. Ignorant." and by the end I understood where he was coming from. I don't care for basketball but I think I'll look into it.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

Darryl Lict posted:

There is an a fantastic documentary How to Die in Oregon that premiered at Sundance this year. Oregon passed the Death With Dignity Act in 1997 which allows terminal patients with less than 6 months to live to commit suicide in a safe, comfortable and controlled fashion. It won the Grand Jury Prize in the U. S. Documentary Competition. It was compelling and tragic, but absolutely reinforced my support for assisted suicide. The people who were featured were amazing, especially the central character of he film, Cody Curtis. I'm trying to work towards getting a similar death with dignity bill passed in California.

Spoiler warning for the squeamish, if you want to go into the movie cold do not read:

Dude dies on screen at the beginning.

It's on HBO this Thursday May 26 8PM PDT.

gently caress I can't wait to see this. Releasing the film with that opener sounds like a pretty ballsy move.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Luse posted:

Black Power Salute

When the Australian on the podium with them died (he supported their cause) they were pallbearers at his funeral, a few years ago. Which is really nice :)

Luse
Apr 26, 2006

I have a sore throat lol
^^ Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool. :)

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Luse posted:

The Fab Five
Some interesting commentary from the players. My favorite part is where they call the Duke players bitches and Grant Hill an Uncle Tom.

I have to say I otherwise could give a poo poo about wolverines basketball, but that quote really sold it for me. I'll definitely put this on my short list.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Luse posted:

^^ Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool. :)

The australian guy gave them the gloves they were wearing, and got treated like poo poo for the rest of his life because of racism in Australia for supporting them.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
http://documentaryheaven.com/how-tv-ruined-your-life-1/

quote:

Fear

Comedy series in which Charlie Brooker uses a mix of sketches and jaw-dropping archive footage to explore the gulf between real life and television.

From hysterical public information films to grisly crime dramas, terror spills out of almost every channel. As Charlie explores TV’s approach to fear, you won’t know whether to laugh or scream. Warning: contains traces of Michael Buerk and a semi-naked lady.

I always enjoy Charlie Brooker's stuff, and he's a clear devotee of Adam Curtis which makes for interesting viewing

There's 6 episodes, all very thought provoking, funny and depressing at the same time

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Illuminti posted:

http://documentaryheaven.com/how-tv-ruined-your-life-1/

I always enjoy Charlie Brooker's stuff, and he's a clear devotee of Adam Curtis which makes for interesting viewing

There's 6 episodes, all very thought provoking, funny and depressing at the same time

I watched the first episode and didn't really care for it, for someone who advocates critical thought he's way too eager to accept all sorts of bullshit evopsych about why television affects us and completely fumbles a lot of basic brain anatomy and chemistry. I love Booker's other stuff but I think this could have done a better job balancing the humor and cynicism with the actual informative bits.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Farbtoner posted:

I watched the first episode and didn't really care for it, for someone who advocates critical thought he's way too eager to accept all sorts of bullshit evopsych about why television affects us and completely fumbles a lot of basic brain anatomy and chemistry. I love Booker's other stuff but I think this could have done a better job balancing the humor and cynicism with the actual informative bits.

try episode 3. Aspiration

I think it's better.

I agree though, it's not as good as Screenwipe and Newswipe.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

MolierePumpsMyNads posted:

New Adam Curtis starting Monday 23 May 9pm on BBC2 - "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace"

Teaser is online here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-YMpgcqKg

Non-Brits keep an eye on youtube, I'm sure it will be up before long.

This was great, highly recommend it to anyone. Whens the next one coming?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, about five minutes in I took it as just a great way to kick back on a Saturday night and giggle at old British and American footage ("Thanks Steve Guttenberg!") than an informative documentary.

EDIT: Bumming Off seems like the worst TV program ever made. Wow.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

i am not zach posted:

This was great, highly recommend it to anyone. Whens the next one coming?

It airs on Monday. Curtis wrote an article which I think features some of the content of the episode for today's Observer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/may/29/adam-curtis-ecosystems-tansley-smuts

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Illuminti posted:

I agree though, it's not as good as Screenwipe and Newswipe.
It also somewhat repeats bits of materials or themes from Screenwipe so "How TV" is sort of an updated repackaging with a slant towards being informative.

Screenwipe and Newswipe are great, remember it's entertainment rather than actually informing you on how stuff works. The "how do they make this" is generally correct but highly exaggerated and plays on stereotypes of in industry.

Also Bumming Off isn't an actual TV show, and neither was Orlov they're just warped examples Brooker creates.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WebDog posted:

Also Bumming Off isn't an actual TV show, and neither was Orlov they're just warped examples Brooker creates.

:aaaaa:

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Does anyone know where I can watch documentaries about tea? Specifically the tea culture of Britian in the 1800s? tia.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Luse posted:

The Fab Five

I like sports, and I like documentaries. It's safe to say that I enjoyed watching this.

Almost all the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries are really enjoyable and well done. The overall concept is perfect, pick 30 filmmakers and give them freedom to cover sports stories that warranted revisiting from the past 3 decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

The only ones that I thought were poorly made were One Night in Vegas about Tupac and Mike Tyson and Marion Jones: Press Pause. I just didn't like the editing and production style of those two. Everything else is really good especially Icecube's documentary on the LA Raiders, the Story of Len Bias, The U, Trial of Allan Iverson, June 17, 1994 (OJ), the USFL, Tim Richmond, and Into the Wind (Steve Nash's doc on Terry Fox). Some of them are findable on youtube, I recommend tracking em all down.

Apparently the series is so popular that they are continuing to create and air new stories, the Fab Five being the first of those new ones. These are in the works currently:

33 "Steve Bartman: Catching Hell"
The relationship between Chicago Cubs fans and Steve Bartman following Game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series

32 "Charismatic"
The run of Charismatic and its jockey, Chris Antley, at the 1999 Triple Crown.

34 "Right To Play"
The life of Johann Olav Koss, Olympic gold medal-winning speed skater and founder of the international youth sports organization Right To Play.

35 "Go Johnny Go"
The amazing story of Johnny Joe Buckovicz, who persevered his handicaps to win a record 14 gold medals in the Special Olympics.

Another couple great sports docs:

Sonicsgate, about Seattle losing its NBA franchise to Oklahoma.

Sonicsgate Part 1: http://vimeo.com/7017874

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary story of the New York Cosmos, about professional soccer in the USA in the 70s.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=673t1hJ6bbI

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.
Fans of Lemmy should watch Motörhead – Live Fast Die Old

http://www.coffeedocs.tv/2011/05/motorhead-live-fast-die-old/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

thehustler posted:

When the Australian on the podium with them died (he supported their cause) they were pallbearers at his funeral, a few years ago. Which is really nice :)
And only one of the guys remembered to bring his pair of gloves. Before the ceremony they discovered this and felt pretty bad that one person wouldn't have gloves to wear. It was the Australian who suggested that one guy wear the left glove, and the other wear the black glove.

It's always nice when we all get along.

Edit: :doh: black glove. Not white glove.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 31, 2011

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

melon cat posted:

the white glove.

Why the glove gotta be white?

(I know what you meant to say, but found the typo kinda funny given the context)

I watched the 30 for 30 about the United States Football league and it was really well done. I didn't even know a spring football league existed, ever. It also solidified what a dbag Trump is. It's one of those docs that could get dragged down by only focusing on what went wrong, but it also showcased how much fun it was for most of the people involved (players, fans, coaches). I really enjoyed it.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.
Starting to watch Part 2 of All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace.

The first part was drat good. It gave me an understanding of why when I was a kid the internet user base that actually used correct grammar around the 90s seemed to be Objectivists that self identified as Randian dicks more often than not. The software and hardware companies of the day thought they were creating a new economy, but the internet seems to have gradually lost much of its insanely creative experimental nature now like the freakish web 2.0 businesses that got funded by naive venture capitalists. At this point it has probably coalesced to have what are probably going to be long time mainstays (Google, Facebook, Skype, Youtube, Hulu, FireFox, Twitter) and with the economy and the government now seriously trying to regulate poo poo it's going to be interesting.

I hope China produces some internationally useful something or other, eventually they're going to be in a position to eat the West alive if they progress smoothly.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Methodis posted:

Man Louie Theroux is getting old. He just looks...old especially in the Miami Part 1 one. Also it was interesting how he didn't wear any body armor when he did in the past jail documentaries.

I think Part 2 aired today? Does anyone know where to watch it?

Edit: Found it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xu0xnL0FSk

WouldDesk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 31, 2011

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
EDIT: ^^ Woops, you found it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

spirited posted:

Starting to watch Part 2 of All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace.

The first part was drat good. It gave me an understanding of why when I was a kid the internet user base that actually used correct grammar around the 90s seemed to be Objectivists that self identified as Randian dicks more often than not. The software and hardware companies of the day thought they were creating a new economy, but the internet seems to have gradually lost much of its insanely creative experimental nature now like the freakish web 2.0 businesses that got funded by naive venture capitalists. At this point it has probably coalesced to have what are probably going to be long time mainstays (Google, Facebook, Skype, Youtube, Hulu, FireFox, Twitter) and with the economy and the government now seriously trying to regulate poo poo it's going to be interesting.

I hope China produces some internationally useful something or other, eventually they're going to be in a position to eat the West alive if they progress smoothly.

Nice--is part 2 on youtube or anything yet? I really liked the first episode and am looking forward to the next couple.

edit: Ah here it is, hot off the presses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjEsk2lBj8c

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luse
Apr 26, 2006

I have a sore throat lol

Bliggers- posted:

Another couple great sports docs:

Sonicsgate, about Seattle losing its NBA franchise to Oklahoma.

Sonicsgate Part 1: http://vimeo.com/7017874

Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary story of the New York Cosmos, about professional soccer in the USA in the 70s.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=673t1hJ6bbI

Awesome! Thanks, watching them now. TV here (New Zealand) doesn't ever screen stuff like this and I find it hard to find anything decent when I search. Much appreciated.