Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
It might not look like much.. until it cracks and flies off an aircraft.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Boat posted:

The water heater rocket worked pretty goddamn good though, and morons replace that overpressure valve all the time, because they're morons. Then all it takes is a broken thermostat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0

Is there a homeowner's equivalent of the AI Stupid Question Thread?

Honestly, I had never heard of water heater explosions until that Mythbusters episode, and aside from electrical fires and gas leak explosions, am mostly unaware of anything else that could go horribly wrong with my house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nerobro posted:

I was using an extreme example. But pumping liquid N20 is going to be a 5-800psi pump. :-) I mean, that's low pressure if you're messing with 6000psi tanks of n2 all day long, but it's still amusing to hear it called low pressure.

I see what you mean now.

Well, that's all context. 2216 PSI air cylinders are considered/called "low pressure" by fire departments, because our new ones are 4500 PSI.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

teh jhey posted:

Is there a homeowner's equivalent of the AI Stupid Question Thread?

Yep.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr.Peabody posted:

It might not look like much.. until it cracks and flies off an aircraft.

Ok, I'll bite. What is it?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Nerobro posted:

I was using an extreme example. But pumping liquid N20 is going to be a 5-800psi pump. :-) I mean, that's low pressure if you're messing with 6000psi tanks of n2 all day long, but it's still amusing to hear it called low pressure.
Haha, exactly. Most of the stuff I fill and test are in the 2000-3000 psi range. Our big pumps can do 6000 though. Most dewars I deal with are in the 22 - 350 psi range.

The N2O pump usually tops out around 200 but the gauge may be wrong, I fill by weight anyway.

Here are the videos. Taken with my lovely phone cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXj8eokDbqA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Job9JojsDE0

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Motronic posted:

I see what you mean now.

Well, that's all context. 2216 PSI air cylinders are considered/called "low pressure" by fire departments, because our new ones are 4500 PSI.

True love is a carbon fiber 2.2 on a 4.5 frame :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epic Fail Guy posted:

True love is a carbon fiber 2.2 on a 4.5 frame :)

HOSE MONKEY SPOTTED

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I should dig up some pictures of the completely failed N2 bottles I've seen.

I am fairly sure there is a industry standard designation of low, medium and high pressure air.

IIRC you go from low pressure to medium pressure at 500psi, and from medium to high at 1800psi. Anything up from there is high pressure.

If I wasn't worried about the consequences, I have a compressor at home that will pump up to 9000 psi...

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

Are metal valve caps causing problems with these? I keep getting corrosion/failure of the threads on the valve on my Mazda5. The dealer just keeps replacing them under warranty.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

That's what the guys at pep boys claimed. I don't know if it's corrosion or weird forces from being heavier than the plastic caps that they would blame, though - as far as I know, they only said it was the metal cap to blame, no speculation shared.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I never ran into the issue in California but as soon as I came up to Seattle I've been seeing a large number of sensor failures due to corossion from the metal caps and moisture so there is definitely something to it. Mine twisted off just like that picture, too. Use plastic caps and the new TPMS sensor hardware kits even come with plastic caps to replace.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I've had aluminium caps seize onto the valves so badly I had to cut them off. They probably tried using a spanner to undo it, and that's what's made it that shape. A Dremel cut along the side and some levering with a flat screwdriver might have gor it off without trashing the assembly, but there's no way to tell now.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

InitialDave posted:

A Dremel cut along the side

Slight Derail:

Father's Day is fast approaching. This reminded me of something a colleague of my wife said about the perfect gift several years ago -
"Does he have a Dremel? Because if he doesn't have one, he definitely wants a Dremel."

It was true, of course. I have no idea why I didn't have one already, now I have one as well as a million little attachments in a little tackle box that's now the Dremel box.

I don't know why they don't market it that way.

Apologies...

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
my girlfriend's parents bought me a dremel for Christmas last year, so it must be the default gift for any guy who doesn't have one. I have still not used it a single time

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I bought an off-brand version and it is very useful when working with old stuff, removing grime, chopping small bits off, grinding etc. A cutting disc will cut 7/8ths of a bolt before it shatters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have a Black & Decker "Rotary Tool" and it's excellent. It was around half the price but is compatible with all the Dremel discs, etc.

My favourite use so far is as a headlight polisher.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Armacham posted:

I have still not used it a single time

Hand in your man card, right now.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

blambert posted:

Wasn't there an entire GBS thread about that red spider thing. Did anyone ever work out what it was for?
Looks like a funky holster for allen wrenches.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
We bought a cheap rear end Job Mate (cheap canadian tire brand) rotary tool and it sucked so hard, got hit in the face and arm a few time with shattering wheels, and the fact that its attachment method was horrible, I havent touched it in forever.

My mid level Dremel on the other hand is wonderful, the quick release cutting wheel system they have now rocks, and that thing can cut through anything. I used it to cut off one of the almost 1/2" thick steel tow hook on the back of my 240sx and it only took about 5 minutes because of the awkward angle, and it did it with only one wheel.

D C fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 1, 2011

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I never ran into the issue in California but as soon as I came up to Seattle I've been seeing a large number of sensor failures due to corossion from the metal caps and moisture so there is definitely something to it. Mine twisted off just like that picture, too. Use plastic caps and the new TPMS sensor hardware kits even come with plastic caps to replace.

Chrysler is the worst, they actually come new with metal caps. The caps practically weld themselves on until they corrode through or someone breaks it trying to unscrew it. I keep so many Chrysler TPMS sensors on hand just because of that. The early Fords did that also but since they use the band sensors now it is so much nicer. Band sensors should be the only sensor used.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What is it?

Well, you're supposed to close the cowl flaps when you fail an engine, otherwise it gets cold really fast.. but this flight school has terrible standards, so most of their instructors don't bother. Over time, it ended up cracking the engine in the process, and when my friend went up in it, he leaked out all the oil, overheated the engine and blew a cylinder. Maintenance gave him that as a souvenir, it's their 5th blown engine this year.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armacham posted:

my girlfriend's parents bought me a dremel for Christmas last year, so it must be the default gift for any guy who doesn't have one. I have still not used it a single time

Did you know that if you use the felt wheel to try and buff out a scratch on a cd, either nothing will happen (because you got the felt wet to be safe) or you will melt a little divot in the CD? There is no in-between.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

JD Brickmeister posted:

Did you know that if you use the felt wheel to try and buff out a scratch on a cd, either nothing will happen (because you got the felt wet to be safe) or you will melt a little divot in the CD? There is no in-between.

Automotive polishing 101: Remember you're using a rotary buffer. Keep the pad moving, don't focus for too long on one spot, and don't allow the surface to get hot or you will burn through your clear coat. Don't try to rush the job, polishing takes patience.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Ola posted:

I bought an off-brand version and it is very useful when working with old stuff, removing grime, chopping small bits off, grinding etc. A cutting disc will cut 7/8ths of a bolt before it shatters.
Try using these: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-426-Fiberglass-Reinforced-Cut-Off/dp/B00004UDH9

JD Brickmeister posted:

Did you know that you're doing it wrong? Low speed + buffing compound may work better, but you're also trying to buff a CD with a rotary tool whose attachment face is woefully undersized and good luck maintaining your angle and just burn another copy of the disc for gently caress's sake.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 1, 2011

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Rocket Salad posted:

Try using these: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-426-Fiberglass-Reinforced-Cut-Off/dp/B00004UDH9

Did you know that you're doing it wrong? Low speed + buffing compound may work better, but you're also trying to buff a CD with a rotary tool whose attachment face is woefully undersized and good luck maintaining your angle and just burn another copy of the disc for gently caress's sake.

These are the best cutting wheel for dremels http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-545D-545-Diamond-Wheel/dp/B00004UDI9/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1306967020&sr=1-2

You will break the screw holding it to the mandrel before the disc gives up.

My dremel paid for itself the first time I used it.
I used it to re-cut a mangled keyway in a fan hub, a replacement hub was $120, the dremel was $80. I've had it for going on 15 years now, replaced the bushings once and other than being a little louder than it used to be it is still going strong.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Armacham posted:

Quick note, the Craftsman variable-speed rotary tool is the exact same as the Dremel down to the plastic housings and has better accessories involved. Warranty may be different, YMMV.

If you haven't used it, you don't have any problems and you should keep enjoying that.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Thumposaurus posted:

These are the best cutting wheel for dremels http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-545D-545-Diamond-Wheel/dp/B00004UDI9/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1306967020&sr=1-2

You will break the screw holding it to the mandrel before the disc gives up.
I concur that the diamond disc is awesome but it is also expensive!

DREMEL CHAT ITT

Just hopped on board the Dremel EZ Lock train. Can't believe I didn't sooner.

Bigger, stronger cutting wheels. Yes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
You know what's fun? Having like 30 of those wheels ready to go when you're all set and stoked to get cracking on a project. And no goddamned shaft. :smithicide:

And the reason it sucks so much is because goddamn do they ever rip through steel, they're great.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Ok since it's DREMEL CHAT ITT I was wondering something. I've seen Dremels with those long flexible shaft extension things so you can work in weird places and angles. Is there something like that I could get for my pneumatic die grinder? That would be slick. I tried googling for it but I don't know what to call it.

E: I guess it's called a flex shaft, but I can only find new grinders with it permanently on there as opposed to something I can remove.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 2, 2011

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
It would be pretty hard to manipulate it if the shaft is attached to it like that. Also air grinders haul rear end, it would probably melt if you tried to run it at a reasonable speed. After my Dremel exploded, I got one of these: http://www.astrotools.com/default.aspx?toolsnum=218& . drat fine upgrade I'd say.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
I still do not have a Dremel. I ask for one for every holiday involving gifts, but nobody ever takes the hint :smith:

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
my dremel probably belongs in this thread because it broke the second time I used it, still have to take it apart to figure out what's wrong with it. I can't help but thinking buying the battery powered one was a mistake.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Was the guy who designed the Dremel left handed? The way it spins makes it so that using it as a right handed person normally would causes all the debris to fly right into your face.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hillridge posted:

Was the guy who designed the Dremel left handed? The way it spins makes it so that using it as a right handed person normally would causes all the debris to fly right into your face.

Good. For once something in this world is actually designed for us left handers!

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I have a great corded Dremel for 10+ years and one day it just refused to turn on anymore. I took it apart and everything seemed ok, I even bypassed the on/off/speed switch but that failed too.

In a serious pinch I bought a $10 rotary tool from Harbor Freight. It was a mistake. It doesn't have enough speed to cut anything, even balsa wood, and has so little torque I can stop the disc rotating at full speed by just pinching it with my fingers. Huge mistake, but a cheap one.

For christmas I got the Lithium-battery Dremel and it's been really great. I wish I had a second battery sometimes, but that's rare. At least the Harbor Freight one came with a shitton of cutoff discs that work just fine on the real tool.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

rscott posted:

Good. For once something in this world is actually designed for us left handers!

No poo poo!

Althought it seems no matter what way I use a dremel I get hit with stuff in the face.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Exploding dremel cutoff discs are painful. I've learned to always hold it so that I'm never in the plane of rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

grover posted:

Exploding dremel cutoff discs are painful. I've learned to always hold it so that I'm never in the plane of rotation.

Yeah I always I at least wear glasses, or a face shield when there's no way around getting hit.