Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know any sort of alternatives to PropertyGrid? I feel like i am fighting for every inch when using it.
Lots of reflection. It's trivial to map out the intricate details of any class, interface, instance, assembly, etc. The difficult part is supporting the various attributes and dealing with the custom property editors.

It matters what you want to do. The less editable you want the grid to be, the easier it is to implement. Reflection is awesome, but also requires a lot of typing.

I haven't found a good control that handles it all well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I have a WinForms application that runs and shuts down fine when launched within Visual Studio, but the standalone .exe throws an unhandled exception at shutdown. The program has quite a few backgroundworkers and timers going on so I suspect that a thread might not be getting shut down properly or some element is trying to update the UI after the main form has started closing.

The text of the .exe error message box is totally useless, and no amount of try/catch blocks seem to capture the exception - any suggestions as to where to go next?

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Try attaching a handler to System.AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException and log the entire exception.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Debug the executable with Windbg.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

PDP-1 posted:

I have a WinForms application that runs and shuts down fine when launched within Visual Studio, but the standalone .exe throws an unhandled exception at shutdown. The program has quite a few backgroundworkers and timers going on so I suspect that a thread might not be getting shut down properly or some element is trying to update the UI after the main form has started closing.

The text of the .exe error message box is totally useless, and no amount of try/catch blocks seem to capture the exception - any suggestions as to where to go next?

What does the even viewer log say in application?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
And do you not get the option to debug when the app crashes? Unless you're using an Express version of visual studio it should be there I think.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

dwazegek posted:

Try attaching a handler to System.AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException and log the entire exception.

Zhentar posted:

Debug the executable with Windbg.

Thanks, I'll give these a shot. The UnhandledException thing sounds easiest so I'll give that a go first. Most likely won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow however since that system is in another building.

Sprawl posted:

What does the even viewer log say in application?

I don't get a log, just a pop-up window stating that "An Unhandled Exception occurred in ApplicationName.exe", plus buttons for 'OK' or 'Show Details'. The Show Details option brings up a textbox containing a bunch of gibberish that I assume is some kind of core dump or info that Windbg is supposed to parse through. I should look into what it is more and how to deal with it since it's obviously intended to help in just this kind of situation.

rolleyes posted:

And do you not get the option to debug when the app crashes? Unless you're using an Express version of visual studio it should be there I think.

No option to debug, just the dialog window described above. This is the express version of C#.

Thanks for the help all, it's at least given me a few leads to go on.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Bozart posted:

If I don't want to shell out for the full version of VS, what IDE should I use? I've been using Visual Studio Express, but it doesn't allow some of those plugins mentioned earlier - is #Develop better? What do people use?

If you're a student (even at places without MSDN-AA) you can get VS Professional for free via DreamSpark.

If you're a start-up business or developer then if you write a good-enough business case you can apply to BizSpark, which confers access to the fully-blown MSDN Subscriber Downloads section (sans VL keys). I applied twice and was rejected each time (however my business partner applied and got in first-time, which suits us fine).

SharpDevelop was the original open-source C# IDE but wasn't cross-platform; MonoDevelop is a fork off SharpDevelop that switched from WinForms to GTK# so it would run better on Linux. SharpDevelop and MonoDevelop are both kind-of similar in terms of capabilities and usefulness for small to medium scale applications. I suppose you could develop a simple killer-app on it and then use the proceeds to license VS Professional properly...

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

On the subject of DreamSpark I'm aware that people (I think mentioned here before for one) have been authorised for DreamSpark using alumni email addresses as they still have the all important academic TLD. I don't know what the legalities of this are, I guess you'd have to read the terms and conditions on the DreamSpark site if that was of concern to you.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
New to .net here and have a question. I'm redoing this .net site that using the razor syntax/template stuff. I have many .cshtml files etc. Whenever I go to edit a cshtml file and save and hit refresh on the browser, the changes don't show up. They only change whenever I do a rebuild. This is quite annoying. So I created a new project with the razor stuff and tested it and whenever I edited the cshtml file and refreshed in the browser, the changes would appear.

I'm using the standard .net dev web server. It's not a caching issue on the browser either btw.

Any tips on why this project would require me to rebuild all the time?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
As per the database thread, I'm asking this here; can anyone point me towards some good tutorials for working with Datasets and Databases in VS2010?

I have an OK enough understanding of SQL (to the point where I can interact with databases in the abstract sense and 99% of the tutorials I can find are useless basic basic stuff or not at all related to what I want) but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about interacting with them via VS. Like what the IDE is doing automatically and what I need to do and what I don't need to do to prevent duplication etc. etc.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mr. Crow posted:

As per the database thread, I'm asking this here; can anyone point me towards some good tutorials for working with Datasets and Databases in VS2010?

I have an OK enough understanding of SQL (to the point where I can interact with databases in the abstract sense and 99% of the tutorials I can find are useless basic basic stuff or not at all related to what I want) but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about interacting with them via VS. Like what the IDE is doing automatically and what I need to do and what I don't need to do to prevent duplication etc. etc.

How have you been setting them up?

Are you using all the build in connectors?

iirc if your using a Dataset and datatables into a DataView it should do everything with MSSQL automatically.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm working on a Windows Phone 7 project using XNA. Part of this involves porting a library (a pure C# Lua runtime) not designed to run on the Compact Framework or with security-critical restrictions. The library uses several methods that you can't get away with on the phone, specifically for loading binary files, like Marshal.SizeOf(), GCHandle.Alloc(), Marshal.PtrToStructure(), and GCHandle.AddrOfPinnedObject().

Let's say I hack around using Marshal.SizeOf() since I know what types are going to be used, and just hardcode their sizes. Is there a way to take, say, an array of 4 bytes and call it an int, or some other arbitrary type?

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
See if you can use the static methods on BitConverter and Buffer.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
I just fixed F# support on dotnetpad.net (it's been broken for ages). If you've been disappointed you couldn't write F# snippets and share them with folk, you're welcome! Sorry about leaving it broken for months though.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Sedro posted:

If your library is using AllocHGlobal and PtrToStructure as a means of converting saved files to in-memory objects (and nothing else) then just load the file into a FileStream and read from the stream with a BinaryReader. Just add a new constructor to your structs with a BinaryReader argument and set each struct field explicitly by reading.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sedro posted:

BitConverter was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Here's my weirdness for today, with a solution even! I was trying make a generic version of an existing method that acts on one specific object that implements an interface.

Here's the problem condensed down to some classes and interfaces.

Given a setup like this:
code:
    public interface IFoo
    {
        string bar { get; set; }
    }

public class Foo : IFoo
    {
        public string bar { get; set; }
    }

public class FooHolder
    {
        public IFoo[] FooArray { get; set; }
    }
Doing the following gives a compiler error:
code:
    public class FooManipulator
    {
        public void DoSomethingWithFoo<T>() where T: IFoo
        {
            var holder = new FooHolder();
            T[] fooArray = new T[5];
            holder.FooArray = fooArray;

}
It doesn't like the statement holder.FooArray = fooArray;, because "Cannot convert source type T[] to target type IFoo[]"

Here's a solution that looks like it works (with due credit to one of my co-workers):
code:
    public class FooManipulator
    {
        public void DoSomethingWithFoo<T>() where T: IFoo
        {
            T[] fooArray = new T[5];
            var fooList = new List<T>(fooArray);
            holder.FooArray = fooList.ConvertAll(x => x as IFoo).ToArray();

}
    }
I just wanted to share that. I'm still not 100% clear on why the original code was an issue, so if anyone wants to weigh in while I'm reading up on generics, enlighten away!

npe
Oct 15, 2004
The reason is that when you do this:

code:
object[] foo = new string[1];
...you are really relying on something called covariance. Covariance is cool, but it only applies to reference types, not value types. I think this is where the problem stems from, because the compiler can't figure out that IFoo is a reference type. You can solve that by adding "class" to the type constraint like so:

code:
        public void DoSomethingWithFoo<T>() where T : class, IFoo
        {
            T[] fooArray = new T[5];
            holder.FooArray = fooArray;
        }
IFoo could of course be implemented by a struct, which is a value type, so covariance is not possible. Adding the class constraint fixes it but then you (obviously) can't implement IFoo as a struct, which may not be desirable.

npe fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 2, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Funnily enough I've just been digging a bit further into covariance (and contravariance), in particular the use of the "in" and "out" keywords when defining a generic interface. In summary, it made my head hurt for a bit but once you understand the reasons behind it (and can remember which is which :v:) it is indeed cool.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Thanks npe, that was very enlightening!

rolleyes posted:

Funnily enough I've just been digging a bit further into covariance (and contravariance), in particular the use of the "in" and "out" keywords when defining a generic interface. In summary, it made my head hurt for a bit but once you understand the reasons behind it (and can remember which is which :v:) it is indeed cool.

Yeah, that's on my increasingly long list of things to really study.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'll add that anytime you are using a where clause in your generic declaration, you should probably reconsider if you should, in fact, be using a generic here. In this case, you should have left the generic off FooManipulator and pushed it over to FooArray at least.

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

Question on best practices for writing a gui - winforms based.

Say I have a class with events, and I have a gui that I want to show these events on. Should I:

a) Write an event handler that triggers on the event, sending no event args, and read the properties of the class for the data I need. As far as I can see this has the risk that the data has changed since the event and when I read the property I am getting old data

b) Write an event handler that triggers on the event, sending the interesting data in the event args. This seems like I would end up with a hell of a lot of custom event handlers.

c) Bind everything by implementing the INotifyPropertyChanged interface into my class.

d) Something else

Typically I've done a), but it seems like a lot of typing and produces lots of code, turning small projects into large projects quickly. What are the best practices for writing a winforms gui?

Cheers in advance!

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

thebruce posted:

Question on best practices for writing a gui - winforms based.

Say I have a class with events, and I have a gui that I want to show these events on. Should I:

a) Write an event handler that triggers on the event, sending no event args, and read the properties of the class for the data I need. As far as I can see this has the risk that the data has changed since the event and when I read the property I am getting old data

Cheers in advance!

Given that event handlers are executed synchronously with the code that triggered them then this scenario should never happen.

If your code-with-events is executing on a separate thread then just use synchronous Control.Invoke rather than the asynchronous BeginInvoke, that way the values of your class at event-time will be used.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

thebruce posted:

b) Write an event handler that triggers on the event, sending the interesting data in the event args. This seems like I would end up with a hell of a lot of custom event handlers.

Not that defining a bunch of delegates is that much work, but there's a generic event handler precisely so that you don't have to this.

System.EventHandler<T>, which is defined as delegate void EventHandler<T>(object sender, T e) where T : EventArgs

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
I also define a generic EventArgs:
code:
public class DataEventArgs<TData> : EventArgs
{
    readonly TData _data;

public DataEventArgs(TData data)
    {
        _data = data;
    }

public TData Data
    {
        get { return _data; }
    }
}

public event EventHandler<DataEventArgs<string>> MyEvent;

void FireMyEvent(string data)
{
    var handler = MyEvent;
    if (handler != null)
        handler(this, new DataEventArgs<MyDataType>(data));
}
However I think he was talking about the client-side code. If you fire 20 different events, that's a lot of events to handle. The alternative (firing a single event like PropertyChanged) isn't much better:

code:
void HandlePropertyChanged(object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
{
    var myClass = (MyClass)sender;
    switch (e.PropertyName)
    {
        case "Property1":
            DoSomethingWith(myClass.Property1); break;
        case "Property2":
            DoSomethingWith(myClass.Property2); break;
    }
}
As a side note, I wish there was a way to get the string name of an object/property/method at compile-time.

code:
switch (e.PropertyName)
{
    case nameof(MyClass.Property1):
    case nameof(MyClass.Property2):
}

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm working on a new ASP MVC 3 website for analyzing data from an existing MySQL database. I've been working on getting Entity Framework 4 and LINQ to SQL to play nicely, but it seems there's a pretty bad bug in the MySQL connector that breaks group statements. Are there any good alternatives? Preferably I would like to use EF and/or LINQ, but if there are other good practices I'm not aware of (I'm new to .NET) I'd love to hear about them.

Oh, and apparently our DBA won't let us use stored procedures and alternate connectors don't really work either.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Sedro posted:

As a side note, I wish there was a way to get the string name of an object/property/method at compile-time.

code:
switch (e.PropertyName)
{
    case nameof(MyClass.Property1):
    case nameof(MyClass.Property2):
}

While it's not exactly at compile-time, you can use expressions to get back member names. It's not performant compared to just using a string, but it's definitely useful.

http://dotnetpad.net/ViewPaste/0dg9cAd8KUOkV7KR5NzrkA

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm working on a new ASP MVC 3 website for analyzing data from an existing MySQL database. I've been working on getting Entity Framework 4 and LINQ to SQL to play nicely, but it seems there's a pretty bad bug in the MySQL connector that breaks group statements. Are there any good alternatives? Preferably I would like to use EF and/or LINQ, but if there are other good practices I'm not aware of (I'm new to .NET) I'd love to hear about them.

Oh, and apparently our DBA won't let us use stored procedures and alternate connectors don't really work either.

nHibernate is an option, but I've never done nHibernate to MySQL. There's also SubSonic, but I've never even used it and I have no clue about getting it to work with MySQL, so I'm leaving it up to you to evaluate it.

Also, what the gently caress is wrong with your DBA that he won't let you use stored procedures? Are you supposed to use inline SQL if you can't get an ORM to work?

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

While it's not exactly at compile-time, you can use expressions to get back member names. It's not performant compared to just using a string, but it's definitely useful.

http://dotnetpad.net/ViewPaste/0dg9cAd8KUOkV7KR5NzrkA

It's not worth the performance hit to me, at least in a large project. You also can't use it in my switch statement example, because it's not a constant.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Sedro posted:

It's not worth the performance hit to me, at least in a large project. You also can't use it in my switch statement example, because it's not a constant.

The performance hit can be evened out by caching the value elsewhere. But yeah, there's nothing you can do about the switch statement thing(unless you switch to an if statement).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ithaqua posted:

Also, what the gently caress is wrong with your DBA that he won't let you use stored procedures? Are you supposed to use inline SQL if you can't get an ORM to work?

A lot of off-site managed DBs are scared someone will write an sp that is DROP * or SELECT creditcardz FROM [notmydatabase] or something so they don't allow sp access because they're too lazy/stupid to secure it properly. Of course in the process removing a huge chunk of the functionality.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Ithaqua posted:

nHibernate is an option, but I've never done nHibernate to MySQL. There's also SubSonic, but I've never even used it and I have no clue about getting it to work with MySQL, so I'm leaving it up to you to evaluate it.

Fortunately, there was a patch that worked with some tweaking, and I recompiled the connector and got around the problem. Thanks for the suggestions. I might still check those out because I'm having some difficulty translating these moderately complex SQL queries to LINQ.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

brainwrinkle posted:

Fortunately, there was a patch that worked with some tweaking, and I recompiled the connector and got around the problem. Thanks for the suggestions. I might still check those out because I'm having some difficulty translating these moderately complex SQL queries to LINQ.

At least with nHibernate, I've had good experiences with making a view that returns the exact data I'm looking for and working with that. Keep in mind, the ultimate goal here is to have the actual SQL be as simple as possible and let your code handle the logic.

The thing I like about nHibernate is that it operates on plain C# classes without any need for attributes or anything nHibernate-specific. I could decide "gently caress nHibernate!" tomorrow and re-implement the data access part, and nothing else in my codebase would have to change.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Question on VB/C# Async for ljw1004 or anyone else who's been using it yet:

I'm working on a game (an RPG) as a hobby project and have been converting it to use Async for the ingame menus and such. This works really well and the logic for combat is really simplified.

Here's the bit that gets a player's choice of action each turn in combat and performs it (from Encounter.vb):
code:
Dim action = Await Me.CombatActionSource(combatant)
Dim result = Await Me.EnactCombatantAction(combatant, action)
Return result
CombatActionSource is currently a Func(Of ICombatant, Task(Of ICombatAction)), which is why I'm awaiting a noun; I'll probably end up making a class for it later on. For players it's implemented by a CharacterActionMenu which shows a menu with available actions and waits for the player to pick one before returning.

The AI-controlled opponents use a different source which picks an action synchronously and returns it. Of course, this method is also marked Async so it can be awaited in the same way, so I get this compiler warning:

quote:

This async method lacks 'Await' operators and so will run synchronously. Consider using the 'Await' operator to await non-blocking API calls, or 'Await TaskEx.Run(...)' to do CPU-bound work on a background thread.

I see what it's saying, but the method is only marked Async because its interactive counterpart is. Can I just ignore this warning or is there a better way to do this that I'm missing?

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies
I have an Active Directory question if anyone would be kind enough to give me some hints.

I am trying to query active directory for all the users in a group. That part is fairly straight forward. I'm able to get the users, but unfortunately the object I get only has the user's real names, not their usernames. Here's what I'm doing:

code:
DirectoryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry(_connectionString, _connectionUsername, _connectionPassword);
DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher(entry);
search.Filter = String.Format("(&(ObjectClass={0})(sAMAccountName={1}))", "group", roleName);
SearchResult result = search.FindOne();

if (result != null && !String.IsNullOrEmpty(result.Path))
{
	DirectoryEntry role = result.GetDirectoryEntry();
	PropertyValueCollection users = role.Properties["member"];
}
The problem here is that the values in "users" look like this:

code:
"CN=Some Guyname,OU=Creative,OU=Boston,OU=Employees,DC=companyurl,DC=internal"
I need Some Guyname's username which is going to be something like "some.guyname" or "some.guyname@companyurl.internal". Is the information I want in here somewhere, or am I barking up the totally wrong tree for getting that kind of info?

Nurbs
Aug 31, 2001

Three fries short of a happy meal...Whacko!

MrHyde posted:

I have an Active Directory question if anyone would be kind enough to give me some hints.

I am trying to query active directory for all the users in a group. That part is fairly straight forward. I'm able to get the users, but unfortunately the object I get only has the user's real names, not their usernames. Here's what I'm doing:

code:
DirectoryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry(_connectionString, _connectionUsername, _connectionPassword);
DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher(entry);
search.Filter = String.Format("(&(ObjectClass={0})(sAMAccountName={1}))", "group", roleName);
SearchResult result = search.FindOne();

if (result != null && !String.IsNullOrEmpty(result.Path))
{
	DirectoryEntry role = result.GetDirectoryEntry();
	PropertyValueCollection users = role.Properties["member"];
}
The problem here is that the values in "users" look like this:

code:
"CN=Some Guyname,OU=Creative,OU=Boston,OU=Employees,DC=companyurl,DC=internal"
I need Some Guyname's username which is going to be something like "some.guyname" or "some.guyname@companyurl.internal". Is the information I want in here somewhere, or am I barking up the totally wrong tree for getting that kind of info?

If you're on .net 4 scrap whatever you've written and embrace System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement

if you're not, I don't have a clean way of getting what you want off the top of my head. Parse the CN or get DirectoryEntry objects for each object via the CN you have.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Nurbs posted:

If you're on .net 4 scrap whatever you've written and embrace System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement

3.5 :eng101:

Active Directory stores group members by DN (the full CN=... form). Once you get the DN you can query for that user specifically (I believe there's a method on DirectorySearcher to look up something by DN) and the fields you want to read are the sAMAccountName or userPrincipalName.

Nurbs
Aug 31, 2001

Three fries short of a happy meal...Whacko!

bear shark posted:

3.5 :eng101:

Pardon me, my brain's not firing on all cylinders tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I have a stupid WPF question. I have this happy little grid here:
code:
<Grid x:Name="mainGrid">
  <Grid.RowDefinitions>
      <RowDefinition Height="75*" />
      <RowDefinition Name="SecondRow" Height="512*" />
      <RowDefinition Height="275*" />
  </Grid.RowDefinitions>
  <UserControls:StatusControl x:Name="statusControl" Grid.Row="0"/>
  <Border BorderBrush="YellowGreen" BorderThickness="{Binding Path=Visibility}" Grid.Row="1" >
      <Image x:Name="imgDetectionImage" Source="../Resources/detectionImageTest.bmp" Grid.Row="1" Stretch="Uniform" />

</Border>
  <Image x:Name="imgRGBImage" Source="{Binding Path=VideoImage}" Grid.Row="2" Height="200" Width="320" Stretch="Uniform" />
</Grid>
Ideally, I want the border to wrap around imgDetectionImage. I've tried binding the width and height of the border to the image's width and height, but when the application scales to different resolutions, the image (being uniform) will have a different "height" than is actually displayed on screen.

Now, most of you are probably thinking, "Bind to ActualWidth and ActualHeight." This occurred to me as well, but unfortunately, ActualWidth and ActualHeight always return 0 for this image and my border and image both disappear.

Being as though the border is contained within a grid row, it fills the entire thing by default, so binding to the grid row's width and height won't change its current behavior in the slightest, unless I misunderstand how grid layout works.

• Locked thread