Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Oh man, that's really bad. One of the worst in this thread. Why the media try to make themselves part of the story is just beyond me, it's definitely not their place to call for a player to be traded because he didn't want to talk to overly-critical reporters that are trying to make a name for themselves by via character assassination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

The "if you knew what I knew wink wink " stories about Jayson Werth cannot possibly be as bad as the ones about Pat "Vintage" Burrell.
Your pussy's jealous!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Oh my God... not The F-Word!!!

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
"and believe me, many other things go on, that as reporters, we can’t talk about."

Wait, what? Because talking about them would violate confidences or make you an anathema? Those are the only legitimate reasons that I can conceive of because otherwise I'm pretty sure it's literally your aforementioned job. More likely: [1] You don't have any substantive information and/or [2] the information is hearsay [3] the dissemination of the information would be defamatory

pretty unprofessional line to drop, especially with regard to someone's character

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

swizz posted:

"and believe me, many other things go on, that as reporters, we can’t talk about."

Wait, what? Because talking about them would violate confidences or make you an anathema? Those are the only legitimate reasons that I can conceive of because otherwise I'm pretty sure it's literally your aforementioned job. More likely: [1] You don't have any substantive information and/or [2] the information is hearsay [3] the "information" or its dissemination would be defamatory

pretty unprofessional line to drop, especially with regard to someone's character

Well, even if a reporter had pretty solid information that he, say, boned a teammate's wife, it'd be pretty cruel to that teammate to write the story.

But a) if you're not going to write the story, then you can't just ask us to take your word for things, and b) being an rear end in a top hat doesn't make a good player less good!

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah, it's that sort of thing that would turn the reporter into an anathema in the clubhouse and I consider that a legitimate reason to withhold it. That having been said, I doubt she has anything other than hearsay.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

She didn't have anything, she just threw that in there because she's a loving child

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

swizz posted:

Yeah, it's that sort of thing that would turn the reporter into an anathema in the clubhouse and I consider that a legitimate reason to withhold it. That having been said, I doubt she has anything other than hearsay.

She is a bit player at a tiny publication, not to put too fine a point on it. I can't imagine what dirt she'd be digging that other people wouldn't have already run through the deadspin/espn wringer much more thoroughly.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Oh my God... not The F-Word!!!

I guess this is especially funny to me because Lincecum has said gently caress on live TV at least twice and we love him for it. At least, I have never heard anybody in the Bay Area, media or fan, who has said anything negative about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chase Utley: World "loving" Champions.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Chase Utley: World "loving" Champions.
Ahem... "phucking" :colbert:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Orgophlax posted:

Ahem... "phucking" :colbert:

No.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here's a helpful political cartoon that really covers the intricacies of the lockout.

Edit: The rest of his cartoons are almost as thought provoking

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 27, 2011

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

His hat has the tiniest halo floating just above it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There is no football for me to turn off though! If only he'd warned us earlier :(

e: haha, holy poo poo that guy owns. People definitely need to check out the rest of his cartoons, including the commentary so that you can really understand the message he's trying to convey. It can be pretty complicated!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 27, 2011

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

All it takes to get the attention of the owners and players is a movement. A movement from fans for fans that will send a clear message to a league gone crazy. It starts with the remote. Maybe a web site. Some twitter campaigns. If a whole nation can rise up in unity (Egypt) I think it’s feasible to rattle the cages of the players and owners that it’s time to get this thing done. I almost launched a movement myself called the400. the400 is a reference to the horrible treatment 400 fans got at this years Super Bowl when they took their seats away and never replaced them. So you start a website called the400.com and you tie in social media, a few local radio stations, a press release and a forum for an entire country sick of the greed of professional sports. You urge nationwide boycotts of advertisers (start with the one that sponsored the Super Bowl) and away you go. I’d do it, but frankly don’t have the time. If you feel the urge. Go for it. Someone has to stop this nonsense.

I love this guy so much. Not watching football is like the revolution in Egypt. He almost did something once!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MorningView posted:

There is no football for me to turn off though! If only he'd warned us earlier :(

e: haha, holy poo poo that guy owns. People definitely need to check out the rest of his cartoons, including the commentary so that you can really understand the message he's trying to convey. It can be pretty complicated!

The messages are great. They remind me of the Onion cartoonist: http://www.theonion.com/articles/may-23-2011,20509/

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
You know, I would give a lot more credence to his demands for an immediate resolution to the labor dispute if he seemed to have any opinion on which side was in the right, or maybe displayed any sort of knowledge about the issues. Saying "OKAY GUYS YOU'RE BOTH WRONG JUST COMPROMISE AND AGREE REALLY FAST" is a nonsensical position, unless his master plan somehow involves making sure that each side is exactly equally pressured and hence it's in neither one's interest to hold out for better terms.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Millionaires fighting billionaires while YOU struggle to pay the bills!!!!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

*I* want to watch football. ME. I don't care what you owners or players think because they're greedy!

That's what I read there.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is it really surprising that a cartoonist representing the "man on the street" sees millionaires haggling with billionaires? It's a pretty natural urge to want them both to gently caress off and die.

That said, his cartoons are indeed terrible.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

zakharov posted:

Is it really surprising that a cartoonist representing the "man on the street" sees millionaires haggling with billionaires? It's a pretty natural urge to want them both to gently caress off and die.

And just like many natural urges, this one has led to someone acting retarded.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

zakharov posted:

I'm honestly pretty surprised just how little I care about the lockout, maybe it's partially because it's the middle of the baseball season but I dunno, I thought I'd be a bit annoyed or something over it

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SM64Guy posted:

I'm honestly pretty surprised just how little I care about the lockout, maybe it's partially because it's the middle of the baseball season but I dunno, I thought I'd be a bit annoyed or something over it

I'd be a lot more worked up, but there are so many other evil things that rich people are doing that it's hard to even notice the NFL owners.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/sports/baseball/william-c-rhoden-wilpons-words-are-wise-his-timing-may-not-be.html

This article in sum: 'I like Fred Wilpon because he admired Jackie Robinson. But his one defect is that he doesn't 'hellraise more often' to make his team play with 'the Jackie Robinson spirit'. He doesn't criticize them enough. This is the Mets' problem. Fart.'

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
this is it. this is the perfect time to defend fred wilpon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Time magazine tells us about a player that has slipped under the radar this season:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2074355-1,00.html

quote:

Jose Bautista: The Best Baseball Player You've Never Heard Of

Picture this: You're a sports fan, even a casual one. You're walking down the street, and someone accidentally bumps into your shoulder. You turn. Holy s---, it's LeBron James! You're stunned, speechless, almost breathless. Or it's Peyton Manning. Maybe it's Rafael Nadal. It's an iconic face, someone who's on top of his sport and instantly recognizable.

Now picture this: the current best player in baseball — a guy who has hit an outlandish 73 home runs since the start of last season, a guy who has already hit 19 home runs in his first 41 games of this 2011 season, which puts him on pace for 71 home runs, at a time when power is down across the game — likewise stumbles into you.

You turn. "Hey, man, watch where you're going." You then continue your walk to the grocery store.

Because really, if you bumped into Jose Bautista of the Toronto Blue Jays on the street, would you have any clue who he was?

Bautista also hasn't generated much Internet buzz. According to Yahoo!, over the past 12 months, James got 100 times as many searches as Bautista, Williams 59 times as many searches and Tom Brady 46 times as many. No, Bautista hasn't achieved a long history of success like these other athletes. Before he broke out with 54 homers last season, his career high had been 16 (Bautista was first called up to the majors in 2004). But compare him with, say, Kevin Durant, the Oklahoma City Thunder forward who, like Bautista, has emerged as a true superstar in the past year. Durant gets 11 times as many Yahoo! searches as Bautista.

To be fair, Bautista is a hard sell. First off, he plays in a city outside the U.S., for a team that has finished above third place only once in the past 17 seasons, in a division dominated by the big-market rivalry between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who seem to be on national television a thousand times a year. Though he speaks clear English — a challenge for some ballplayers from Latin America — Bautista is not overtly charismatic. And since he grew up in the Dominican Republic, he doesn't have that Americana tale that connects with U.S. fans. "You don't have that Mickey, Babe, Stan 'the Man' Musial or Willie Mays all-American story," says Kenneth Shropshire, a sports-marketing expert who teaches at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School.

And so on

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Latin American player quote is bad but I would agree that anyone who doesn't follow baseball has no idea who Jose Bautista is.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
A lot of time the premise of an article is what dooms it to Sports Journalism, like this!

Ichiro needs to show leadership with more hustle

The Joey Bats article is a sound premise, even if it goes a little off the rails. To be fair if you are purely discussing a personality's markitability or Q rating like the article does, having a language barrier does affect it.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I don't even think the Latin America quote is bad. Do you think it's easy for most Latin American players to learn to fluently speak a second language while playing baseball year round? Some orgs, like the Mets, have academies and mandatory language classes, but I imagine many don't.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Badfinger posted:

The Joey Bats article is a sound premise, even if it goes a little off the rails. To be fair if you are purely discussing a personality's markitability or Q rating like the article does, having a language barrier does affect it.

I think the premise is only slightly dodgy, but it becomes outright bad with how the first few paragraphs are written. This is then augmented by a ridiculous part where he uses how often someone is searched on Yahoo as a proxy for internet "buzz" (whatever that may be) and then uses a time frame of 12 months, which extends prior to Bautista's rise to prominence.

e: I suppose the article can also be fit under the proud old FJM category of "food metaphors."

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I don't even think the Latin America quote is bad. Do you think it's easy for most Latin American players to learn to fluently speak a second language while playing baseball year round?
But why does he say that it is "a challenge for some ballplayers from Latin America?" What does that add to anything? Accentuating his foreignness is done just fine, albeit with a rather poor selection of examples, in the next sentence.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I think it's in the context that Latin American ballplayers are a difficult sell to the media because they historically speak poor English. And yet even though Bautista does speak clear English, he's not charismatic enough and not "American enough" to appeal to the common fan.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I think it's in the context that Latin American ballplayers are a difficult sell to the media because they historically speak poor English. And yet even though Bautista does speak clear English, he's not charismatic enough and not "American enough" to appeal to the common fan.

Not only is none of that lost by removing the "a challenge for some ballplayers from Latin America" phrase, but the insertion of that phrase detracts from that point. It changes the focus from "he is bland" to "he is foreign" and his foreignness is addressed much better in the next sentence.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Hand Knit posted:

I think the premise is only slightly dodgy, but it becomes outright bad with how the first few paragraphs are written. This is then augmented by a ridiculous part where he uses how often someone is searched on Yahoo as a proxy for internet "buzz" (whatever that may be) and then uses a time frame of 12 months, which extends prior to Bautista's rise to prominence.

e: I suppose the article can also be fit under the proud old FJM category of "food metaphors."
But why does he say that it is "a challenge for some ballplayers from Latin America?" What does that add to anything? Accentuating his foreignness is done just fine, albeit with a rather poor selection of examples, in the next sentence.

I, personally, do not think the article is terrible. It's not great, it's just kind of words on the internet. Bautista started being noticed back at the end of the '09 season, but I suppose he really became a star in 2010. I think the fact that MLB does not particularly market its individual players is a pretty good point made.

OKCecil
Dec 9, 2003
INTERNET PANHANDLER

Badfinger posted:

A lot of time the premise of an article is what dooms it to Sports Journalism, like this!

God damnit Steve Kelley I hate you so much.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Badfinger posted:

Jesus Christ this article reads like an SASer wrote it to demonstrate thoroughly the most awful sports journalism possible.

EDIT: agggh how does he not see the value in a player wanting to contribute by not stupidly injuring himself on dumb plays that hurt his team aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
That article is stupid. Everyone knows Ichiro needs to show leadership by going on more profanity-laced pregame tirades in the locker room.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Mornacale posted:

That article is stupid. Everyone knows Ichiro needs to show leadership by going on more profanity-laced pregame tirades in the locker room.
He just needs to tell them they have no marbles.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Thesoro posted:

Jesus Christ this article reads like an SASer wrote it to demonstrate thoroughly the most awful sports journalism possible.

EDIT: agggh how does he not see the value in a player wanting to contribute by not stupidly injuring himself on dumb plays that hurt his team aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I like how his "good example" is Olivo diving headfirst into first base, which is a terrible decision on like 3 different levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Badfinger posted:

I swear half the reason people from Seattle don't like the Mariners is the poo poo the Seattle Times puts out about them about how dumb they are, and the people of Seattle believe it.