Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Yeah. There's stuff like GooSync that works fine in Symbian, or at lesat did when I tried it, but they don't seem to make a version for dumbphones.

I used to be able to sync my contacts with Nokia PC Suite back with my old 6265i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
iSync still the best sync.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
C7 Astound just announced for T-Mobile

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/21/nokia-astound-for-t-mobile-coming-april-6th-for-80-hands-on-wi/

• April 6th street date
  • $80 AR
  • Visual Voicemail widget
  • Qik video chat
  • wifi calling

Pretty sure it will launch with PR2

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
If I needed cheap phone for Wind Mobile or Mobilicity, I'd definitely pick that up over the Huawei they are offering in that price range.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Pretty sure it will launch with PR2

mynokiablog posted that there is a small update called 1.2 coming out to address exchange sync, and apparently PR2 is now coming "in the summer".

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Opera 11 and Opera Mini 6 just launched. Seems really nice.
m.opera.com

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/03/22/launch-t-mobile-astound/

quote:

We’re also very excited to tell you about some of the latest updates to Symbian that will be available first on the Nokia Astound. This includes a new browser and portrait QWERTY keyboard, as well as split screen functionality to let you see the input area when typing which we know many of you will be excited about. These improvements will propagate to other devices in the new Symbian range shortly.
shortly can be interpreted as months

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I've been called up for a job interview for Nokia, which is pretty awesome - the interview's the day after I submit my MSc thesis, so the timing is perfect.

On the same day, I also won another competition on Nokia's Facebook page. They've not told me what I'm getting, but I hope it's a step up from the X3-02 that I won (it's great for a budget phone, but it's still not a real smartphone).

Seriously, Nokia shits competitions all over Facebook and Twitter and you can clear up if you keep an eye open. If I keep this up, I'll have a stockpile of phones. The downside if I get a job with them is that I probably wouldn't be eligible for most of these competitions.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
PR2.0 has been renamed as Symbian Anna
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/04/12/announcing-symbian-anna-aka-pr2/
Split screen portrait qwerty, new browser, new default theme, Qt 4.7.3 built in, might show up by July

E6 announced
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/04/12/launch-nokia-e6/?sf1306474=1
2.4 inch VGA LCD, 1500 mah battery, $500, should ship in July

X7 announced
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/04/12/launch-nokia-x7/?sf1306473=1
4" nHD AMOLED CBD, looks like a Tie Fighter, might ship before July

Go back to sleep, nothing really going on here.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Tran posted:

E6 announced
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/04/12/launch-nokia-e6/?sf1306474=1
2.4 inch VGA LCD, 1500 mah battery, $500, should ship in July

nerdz, six months ago posted:

Whoa, hadn't seem that. My next phone will be an E72 with a touch screen, it would be my perfect phone (maybe with another OS?).

battered wife feelings ensue.

WHY GOD WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The new mail update for E72 finally displays html email by default.

You have no idea how happy this makes makes me

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I got the prize. It was a wetsuit for my laptop. Bah.

However...

I also got the job - so I won't just be a Nokia fanboy any more.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Green nokia N8 is $350 at amazon, was cheaper at dell but i dont have to pay taxes at amazon. Does anyone how this would work on at&t without a smartphone data plan? would they find out?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZX7RPA

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Omegaslast posted:

Green nokia N8 is $350 at amazon, was cheaper at dell but i dont have to pay taxes at amazon. Does anyone how this would work on at&t without a smartphone data plan? would they find out?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003ZX7RPA

gently caress, I just bought that one last week for my uncle for $400

At&t doesn't treat the N8 as a smartphone. You can get $15 unlimited data or no data at all.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I tried the N8... twice. Just couldn't get past how difficult it was going back to Symbian. Went to an atrix and not looking back. The camera on the N8 is nice but not enough for me to grapple with Symbian's shortcomings.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

hotsauce posted:

I tried the N8... twice. Just couldn't get past how difficult it was going back to Symbian. Went to an atrix and not looking back. The camera on the N8 is nice but not enough for me to grapple with Symbian's shortcomings.

That mirrors my experience better than words can describe.

I really did like the camera, just not waiting almost a minute to use it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm still liking mine. I guess I got a good one because it only takes a couple of seconds for my camera to work?

My only complaint is that the music player is awful at sorting music the way I'd like it to, but my brother uses an Android phone and apparently it sorts it the same way.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
I have a N8 and hate it. It locks up every few hours,& the battery doesn't last 1 day. When it's not locking up it can is smoother than previous N97s I have had.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I've had mine lock up once in the five or so months I've owned it and the battery easily lasts me for three days, four if I don't wind up using it regularly.

Sounds like you got a lemon or something :/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I'm still liking mine. I guess I got a good one because it only takes a couple of seconds for my camera to work?

My only complaint is that the music player is awful at sorting music the way I'd like it to, but my brother uses an Android phone and apparently it sorts it the same way.

Every music app I've used on Android has the option to sort by album, artist, song or playlist. What are you trying to do that doesn't fit into that?

Also that 4" tie fighter thing's UI looks godawful.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I recently complained about my Nokia 5800 on Twitter, only to be contacted by the guys of WOMWorldNokia (:wom:), who offered me to try out the N8 and the BH-905i headphones for two weeks. Neat!
I received the goods today and set everything up already (seriously, just getting everything to run in order the way I like it is a pain on Symbian). The hardware and build of the N8 seem nice (although the bottom-left-corner-menu-button sucks for lefties like me), but my first impression is that even though Symbian^3 was heralded as a leap ahead from Symbian 60, that's a questionable claim. Sure, everything is faster and most things are smoother, but other than that, pretty much is exactly the same. Again, this is just my first impression, so we'll see.

If anybody is interested, I could write updates about my trial here. What I would really like to hear from you guys are test cases for the phone: What would you like me to try out?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm pretty interested in the headphones

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/Arguelles_/status/68065771363909632
That tweets mentions filming for a 4G N950 ad for a summer release.

And it passed the FCC

And a reminder of what it looks like

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Dr Tran posted:

I'm pretty interested in the headphones

My first impression (haven't used them much): Pretty good fit, although you have to take into account that they don't enclose your ears. They seem relatively light for wireless headphones. Sound quality via Bluetooth is pretty gritty, but I have never used BT headphones before, so I can't really compare them. The sound quality is OK when I ride my bike or walk around the city or take the subway. Sound quality via cable is OK to good, but not great. The noise-cancellation introduces a significant amount of noise, but it is really, really efficient and really lowers the noise well. On the street (for example), I don't notice the "new" noise because it is loud enough, but that street noise is levelled down pretty well by the headphones. I would say it is almost on par with my Bose noise-cancelling headphones (they have both less "new" noise and lower the outside noise better).
The controls are convenient and work well, although I dislike the fact that there is no "Stop" button (only Play/Pause).

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
I just got an E7 from work, and it's way better than I expected it to be. The build quality is excellent, and the keyboard is the best I've ever used on a mobile device. The screen's excellent as well - though it is a pity that the pixel density is pretty low.

The software's definitely better than the old touch-screen Symbian devices, but it's missing some of the polish of the competition.

Hmmm - maybe I can get pre-release access to Symbian Anna on here...

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

If the N950 sucks I am going to be very sad. If the N950 launches with Alien Dalvik I am going to be ridiculously happy.

Something like 19:1 odds I am going to be very sad.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

When I bought the n900 all I wanted to be happy was to be able to send a text message with one hand. A feature I presumed would come with the update that added Portrait mode support that all the blogs said Nokia had promised.

I was very sad as too will you.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wow, that really looks like a cheap toy.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

big mean giraffe posted:

Wow, that really looks like a cheap toy.

Not the only thing it looks like

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I was wondering should I track down a e72 or just get an e5? I have an e71, and I love it to death, especially the qwerty keyboard, although its a bit slow and the firmware is buggy as hell. I was eyeing up getting a blackberry because I like the way they feel and the keyboard seems good, but I saw the e5 and thought it looked pretty similar to my phone except its an upgrade in most ways. Any thoughts? I'm in Australia by the way and have a few months before my contract ends so if something cool is around the corner, please let me know.

e: The Bold 9780 would be the blackberry I'd be considering.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 31, 2011

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Nierbo posted:

I was wondering should I track down a e72 or just get an e5? I have an e71, and I love it to death, especially the qwerty keyboard, although its a bit slow and the firmware is buggy as hell. I was eyeing up getting a blackberry because I like the way they feel and the keyboard seems good, but I saw the e5 and thought it looked pretty similar to my phone except its an upgrade in most ways. Any thoughts? I'm in Australia by the way and have a few months before my contract ends so if something cool is around the corner, please let me know.

e: The Bold 9780 would be the blackberry I'd be considering.

The E6 would be out by the time your contract is up.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dr Tran posted:

The E6 would be out by the time your contract is up.
Oh, looks good. gsmarena says June 2011 release. Is that Australia too?

hmm, internet says Q3, but the nokia website says 'coming soon'. Looks like thats the way to go. Thanks for the head up.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 31, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So I rang around to 3, vodafone and optus and none of them will be getting the e6. Only the e7, which I can't stand. So would the blackberry I mentioned be a decent upgrade from the e71 and would the transition from symbian to whatever blackberry's run on be a smooth one?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Nierbo posted:

So I rang around to 3, vodafone and optus and none of them will be getting the e6. Only the e7, which I can't stand. So would the blackberry I mentioned be a decent upgrade from the e71 and would the transition from symbian to whatever blackberry's run on be a smooth one?

Its far too early for carriers to be talking about having the E6. They picked up the E7 two months after it started shipping, so they might have the E6 in the same amount of time.

Blackberrys seem to be more chunky than Nokias. I never trusted them hardware wise, they seem to die faster. OS is easier to use than Symbian.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Dr Tran posted:

Its far too early for carriers to be talking about having the E6. They picked up the E7 two months after it started shipping, so they might have the E6 in the same amount of time.
Blackberrys seem to be more chunky than Nokias. I never trusted them hardware wise, they seem to die faster. OS is easier to use than Symbian.

Having an easier to use OS is painfully tempting, but I'll wait for the E6. In Aus sometimes they let you upgrade early if it means they get to keep your business for another few years, thats why I'm jumping the gun. Patience is a virtue I guess. Thankyou for your help Dr Tran.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you're going to upgrade, at least move to iOS or Android. Blackberrys are slow with small screens and a dearth of apps. And the web browser's terrible.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're going to upgrade, at least move to iOS or Android. Blackberrys are slow with small screens and a dearth of apps. And the web browser's terrible.

iOS is out of the question, no buttons.
How many portrait qwerty Androids are available in Australia?
Perhaps one of the new webOS phones might be a suitable alternative?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Portrait QWERTY is stuck on old hardware and software with no future, and for good reason. Tiny cramped low-res screens are worthless on a smartphone.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Having moved from Symbian to iOS, I can say that iOS is pretty awesome, even if the only hardware button is the home button. iOS applications are designed around that, so it works. Going back to using Symbian from time to time, I find myself futilely tapping the screen a lot more than I ever went "where's the god damned button for that?" when moving from iOS to Symbian.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We have a portrait qwerty android phone here is Canada, and it is absolutely terrible. BMG might be big and mean, but he's right on this one. Once you get used to screen typing, it's a breeze. It took me about a month, though I'm coming from landscape qwerty land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ZShakespeare posted:

We have a portrait qwerty android phone here is Canada, and it is absolutely terrible. BMG might be big and mean, but he's right on this one. Once you get used to screen typing, it's a breeze. It took me about a month, though I'm coming from landscape qwerty land.

I went from a Blackberry Curve to touch-only Android land and wouldn't look back. Took maybe a week to get back to the same speed.

• Locked thread