Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Factor Mystic posted:

Well... Yes, sabnzbd parses the general structure correctly, but the nzbs.org nzb's are missing the episode name, which my tv processing setup in sabnzbd uses... apparently causing the file to not be renamed. And even if it was, it'd still be missing the episode name.

I just miss the newzbin glory days when I didn't have to manually rename everything :(

Why aren't you using SickBeard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Factor Mystic posted:

Well... Yes, sabnzbd parses the general structure correctly, but the nzbs.org nzb's are missing the episode name, which my tv processing setup in sabnzbd uses... apparently causing the file to not be renamed. And even if it was, it'd still be missing the episode name.

I just miss the newzbin glory days when I didn't have to manually rename everything :(

When sickbeard pulls nzbs, it automatically renames. This also seems to work if I send a properly categorized tv nzb to sabnzbd from nzbs.org (sickbeard handles post-processing).

e:f;b

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

kri kri posted:

UNC is not supported, and its been like that for a while now. Just use a local hard drive for incomplete.

It was working fine prior to .6, which has me contemplating going back. Can anyone explain the technical reasons behind this decision? I've got a nice SSD on my local machine, and a big stupid HD in my NAS and I'd rather save space/writes on the SSD.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Factor Mystic posted:

If you use Usenet for TV and you're not using Sickbeard, YOU HAVE FAILED!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

If you use Usenet for TV and you're not using Sickbeard, YOU HAVE FAILED!

Some people don't want to use and configure a whole second program when RSS works just fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Some people don't want to use and configure a whole second program when RSS works just fine.

It takes about a minute to setup these days and is far superior to a straight RSS feed. That being said I agree that some people don't really watch a lot of different shows and probably don't need something with so much functionality.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I dont want to mess around with running YET ANOTHER background program for this specific task, basically. I guess if it works I'll have to weigh that versus my annoyance.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

I dont want to mess around with running YET ANOTHER background program for this specific task, basically. I guess if it works I'll have to weigh that versus my annoyance.

I don't use sickbeard but I do let metabrowser run, whenever I move a show into it's folder it auto renames it based on tvdb.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Factor Mystic posted:

How many programs are you running, currently? I've only got three, and could honestly get along without couch potato if I needed to. Seriously, though, Sickbeard is great and practically runs itself as far as configuration.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pfhreak posted:

It was working fine prior to .6, which has me contemplating going back. Can anyone explain the technical reasons behind this decision? I've got a nice SSD on my local machine, and a big stupid HD in my NAS and I'd rather save space/writes on the SSD.

Is there a reason you arnt running sab on your nas? Also i am pretty sure unc incomplete has never worked.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 31, 2011

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

If you mapped that UNC path to a drive letter you could probably do it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in getting involved in this but it's all totally new to me so I have some extremely basic and/or stupid questions for you guys.

From what I am reading, I have understood that there are different Usenet providers who all run their own servers but they all mirror between each other. So it doesn't matter who's service you use, as long as it is one that keeps the posts around for a while and provides a good service.

The OP says that ISP access is rubbish, is this universally true or just nearly always? Is it worth trying this stuff out on my ISP just to see how it works and whether I actually need to pay a monthly subscription to get a better service? My ISP only throttles upload for heavy users and never download, so that side of things should be fine. Is the issue that they are they likely to just block large sections of Usenet outright? Apparently they outsource it to Usenetserver but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same thing as you'd get from them directly?

I'm a little out of my depth here so I may be talking nonsense, I don't know. I'd just like to try this out and see how it works. Can I do that through my ISP? I'm on Virgin 50Mb cable (UK) if anyone knows about them specifically. Thanks.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Factor Mystic posted:

It's up to you but if you're going to run any single background program other than Sab it should probably be Sickbeard, it is really that good. As I said though it is feature overkill if you only watch a show or two. First time setup takes a bit but these days my interaction with Sickbeard is essentially limited to telling it what I want once a season, it does everything itself.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Most of the info you've got right. You don't even need to bother trying your ISP's Usenet access. Just search on your ISP and Usenet together and I'm sure you'll come across many discussions about what access your ISP provides. Almost as a rule though, most ISP's block access to the binaries section, and I mean, that's the part you want.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Tunga posted:

I'm interested in getting involved in this but it's all totally new to me so I have some extremely basic and/or stupid questions for you guys.

From what I am reading, I have understood that there are different Usenet providers who all run their own servers but they all mirror between each other. So it doesn't matter who's service you use, as long as it is one that keeps the posts around for a while and provides a good service.

The OP says that ISP access is rubbish, is this universally true or just nearly always? Is it worth trying this stuff out on my ISP just to see how it works and whether I actually need to pay a monthly subscription to get a better service? My ISP only throttles upload for heavy users and never download, so that side of things should be fine. Is the issue that they are they likely to just block large sections of Usenet outright? Apparently they outsource it to Usenetserver but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same thing as you'd get from them directly?

I'm a little out of my depth here so I may be talking nonsense, I don't know. I'd just like to try this out and see how it works. Can I do that through my ISP? I'm on Virgin 50Mb cable (UK) if anyone knows about them specifically. Thanks.

Try out your ISPs usenet if you can. My old ISP gave me highwinds usenet, but limited to 600KB/s and 30 day retention. It worked pretty well, since due to Sickbeard I was downloading stuff within 15 min of it being posted anyways. I just had to put up with the slower speed. I kept a blocknews account for stuff outside of their 30 day retention.

If your ISP usenet sucks you could always head over to blocknews.net and get a cheap 5GB block account for $2.75, or usenetnow.net for a 7 day unlimited account for $5.29, just to get an idea of what it's all about and how well it works

Lemons fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2011

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Need help with SABnzbd:
1) I keep getting warnings from host in the warning log about to many server connections. I have setup the proper # of connections in the server setting. Does hitting refresh or using other actions cause it to force connect and upset it?
2) I don't see any updates in the client (Using Windows 7/Chrome). Example: I have a 1.3GB file, no updates over several minutes --> Restart client --> 0% again but shows 900M more downloaded in monthly total at bottom.

Where am I screwing up?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

gepgepgep posted:

Need help with SABnzbd:
1) I keep getting warnings from host in the warning log about to many server connections. I have setup the proper # of connections in the server setting. Does hitting refresh or using other actions cause it to force connect and upset it?
2) I don't see any updates in the client (Using Windows 7/Chrome). Example: I have a 1.3GB file, no updates over several minutes --> Restart client --> 0% again but shows 900M more downloaded in monthly total at bottom.

Where am I screwing up?

1) You should set your connection limit to less than your total allowed. Usually around six is all you need for full speed.
2) The classic theme doesn't update automatically, you have to hit refresh. You can enable it to or you can use a different theme.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I decided to try Sickbeard because that guy called me a failure. Here are my current gripes with it:

1) I can't seem to download in both HD and SD. There are a couple of shows that I watch in HD but archive in SD for future viewing.

2) It creates folders for all of my shows which I'm assuming that I can't delete, and so I've just got a mess of empty folders that won't see any action all summer.

Can I delete those folders and can I download in both qualities?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So supernews uses the same servers as giganews right?

Reason I ask is because I recently upgraded from Comcast's 50mbps tier to their 105mbps tier. Before I would have no issue sustaining 50mbps download speeds. Now, my speed is constantly fluctuating from 80-100mbps. Would the extra 30 connections I can get with Giganews help with this?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So supernews uses the same servers as giganews right?

Reason I ask is because I recently upgraded from Comcast's 50mbps tier to their 105mbps tier. Before I would have no issue sustaining 50mbps download speeds. Now, my speed is constantly fluctuating from 80-100mbps. Would the extra 30 connections I can get with Giganews help with this?
Yes they're the same servers, No the extra 30 connections may not help you get a solid 100Mbit. Have you tried the suggestions here? Also, have you found anything else that can fully saturate your downstream? There's a chance that Comcast's "105mbit service" can't actually do those speeds sustained.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Its might be due to PowerBoost.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Sorry, I feel like an utter moron and its probably really obvious but how do I access the actual news sites like on google news ala alt.some.thing? I've tried typing them into the URL bar but nothing. All I've been able to do is download files such as movies which is great but not access any newsgroups. I'm using SABnzbd with firefox plugin with a Blocknews plan if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, I feel there's a very simple way to do this.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

You're probably confusing Google News and Google Groups. "Live" Usenet and Usenet archives going back to prehistory are mixed in with Google's forum things on Google Groups. You can either browse for groups, or if you know the actual group, just search for it.

For instance, here's alt.sysadmin.recovery.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

inpheaux posted:

You're probably confusing Google News and Google Groups. "Live" Usenet and Usenet archives going back to prehistory are mixed in with Google's forum things on Google Groups. You can either browse for groups, or if you know the actual group, just search for it.

For instance, here's alt.sysadmin.recovery.

Thanks, I meant google groups. Can I access the live newsnet postings using my blocknews plan or is no reason not to just to use google? Also is there a difference (such as different servers hence different content) between google groups and a dedicated paid plan?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Crack posted:

Thanks, I meant google groups. Can I access the live newsnet postings using my blocknews plan or is no reason not to just to use google? Also is there a difference (such as different servers hence different content) between google groups and a dedicated paid plan?
If you're just looking for discussion there is no reason whatsoever to not use Google. Nothing's stopping you from using an unlimited plan from Giganews or whatever and using a traditional client like Xnews or Thunderbird for browsing and posting to discussion groups, but there's no reason to pay the premium if you just discussion. Also, I'm not sure Blocknews allows posting, so that probably wouldn't work at all.

Only thing to keep in mind is that oldschool Usenet people tend to hate people who post to usenet via Google Groups without having a concept of what Usenet is. So don't be an idiot or you'll likely be run out of an active group as soon as they see you're posting from Google.

Edit: upon re-reading your post, you sound pretty confused about this. Do you want to browse specific groups for binaries, or are you looking for discussion groups? If you don't care about discussion groups, ignore Google Groups and don't worry about browsing actual newsgroups. Trying to browse specific groups is not worth the hassle, stick to indexers.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 1, 2011

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

inpheaux posted:

If you're just looking for discussion there is no reason whatsoever to not use Google. Nothing's stopping you from using an unlimited plan from Giganews or whatever and using a traditional client like Xnews or Thunderbird for browsing and posting to discussion groups, but there's no reason to pay the premium if you just discussion. Also, I'm not sure Blocknews allows posting, so that probably wouldn't work at all.

Only thing to keep in mind is that oldschool Usenet people tend to hate people who post to usenet via Google Groups without having a concept of what Usenet is. So don't be an idiot or you'll likely be run out of an active group as soon as they see you're posting from Google.

Edit: upon re-reading your post, you sound pretty confused about this. Do you want to browse specific groups for binaries, or are you looking for discussion groups? If you don't care about discussion groups, ignore Google Groups and don't worry about browsing actual newsgroups. Trying to browse specific groups is not worth the hassle, stick to indexers.

Thanks man, that was just what I was looking for :). I actually want to do some of both, primarily discussion groups but maybe downloading a couple of films a week or something. Blocknet's FAQ says I can post, so I'll probably end up buying a 10 gig plan after my current 5gb is used up and see how that goes. I assume posting and reading groups uses very little bandwidth so that's probably more than enough for a month or so, and then a 200gb plan for the long-term if everything goes well.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I decided to try Sickbeard because that guy called me a failure. Here are my current gripes with it:

1) I can't seem to download in both HD and SD. There are a couple of shows that I watch in HD but archive in SD for future viewing.

2) It creates folders for all of my shows which I'm assuming that I can't delete, and so I've just got a mess of empty folders that won't see any action all summer.

Can I delete those folders and can I download in both qualities?

You can delete the folders; they'll just be re-created when a new episode becomes available.

Downloading two copies of every show is a really idiosyncratic demand. I highly doubt Sickbeard does this, or that the designers would ever think to do this. Hell, avoiding that is one of the big reasons I USE Sickbeard.

EDIT: If it's only a couple of shows that you do this with, you can edit the shows' settings for quality and re-run the search. Actually, check: I know there's an "HD-SD-Any-Best" quality setting. There might be an option for both.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 1, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Sickbeard can download SD first them replace it with the HD copy. I don't think it will save both though. Why would you want to do that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Sickbeard can download SD first them replace it with the HD copy. I don't think it will save both though. Why would you want to do that?

He watches in high quality and archives in a lower quality in case he ever wants to revisit it. Unfortunately that's the one niche scenario Sickbeard doesn't accommodate. You can run two copies of Sickbeard, using one for HD and one for SD. That's all I can think of anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Just set a custom quality of hd first and sd-dvd to archive. That way it'll grab the HDTV cap then delete it when the DVD becomes available.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

EC posted:

Does Sickbeard do this automatically or do I need to enable it? Also, will it rescan my folders at a future date and replace with higher quality if they become available automatically?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Uuudar posted:

Does Sickbeard do this automatically or do I need to enable it? Also, will it rescan my folders at a future date and replace with higher quality if they become available automatically?

It depends on the quality settings and yes, it'll automatically upgrade any show you have added when it finds a better quality copy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

duz posted:

Just set a custom quality of hd first and sd-dvd to archive. That way it'll grab the HDTV cap then delete it when the DVD becomes available.
Unless its changed recently, it won't overwrite a larger file with a smaller one so you'll have to be sure to delete the larger.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EC posted:

Main reason I would do it is to have a copy for mobile use. It's actually easier to redownload than to reencode.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I checked the indexing sites list and didn't see any mention of it, so does anyone know what indexers include ebooks? nzbs.org does not, apparently, and that's what I'm using right now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mierdaan posted:

I checked the indexing sites list and didn't see any mention of it, so does anyone know what indexers include ebooks? nzbs.org does not, apparently, and that's what I'm using right now.

nzb.su seems to have a eBook section.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nzbmatrix does as well, and newzbin

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Upgrading to 0.6.2 fixed the problem I was having, sort of. When I add a new nzb it automatically goes to the need repair section on config and I have to hit add to queue to get it to start. I'll still have multiple instances of sabnzdb running too and sometimes I will have to go edit the .ini file and change the port back to 9090 so I can open the interface. The http port changes from 8080 too, no idea whats up

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Lemons posted:

If you mapped that UNC path to a drive letter you could probably do it.

This is how I used to do it. It no longer accepts a mapped drive. I'll see if my NAS can run sabnzbd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Has SABConnect++ for Chrome broken for anyone else?