Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Thufir posted:

Your skates sound too big.

Is this a big deal?

[edit] Come september I could probably drop $100 on some new skates if I need to, but until then I'm stuck with these. Would baking them or wearing more socks or anything be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If they're walmart brand they might not even be bake-able. If you can't get new ones obviously there's nothing you can do about it, but you'll probably feel a lot more comfortable once you get some that fit.

My first pair were 1/2 size too big and I skated fine in them for a year and I've gone back to wearing them now since my other pair broke. Mainly I feel like I get better transfer of power since my feet aren't sliding around or lifting out of the heel.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Alizee posted:

Also, you guys with the outdoor boards, how much does one of those cost? I would like to work on picking corners and my slapper in my backyard if possible :)

You can get a 8'x4' piece of "smooth panelboard" ,which is just like a whiteboard, at Home Depot/Lowes for $11, the ones online are like $75 for a small piece. If you are going to use it outside you might need to put it on a piece of plywood or something because its pretty thin

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Alizee posted:

Is this a big deal?

[edit] Come september I could probably drop $100 on some new skates if I need to, but until then I'm stuck with these. Would baking them or wearing more socks or anything be good?
It can be. If the skates are sized true to shoe size, then it shouldn't be a huge deal. Usually, skate sizes correlate with a shoe size ~1.5 smaller, e.g. a 9.5 shoe size -> 8 skate. Potentially, your skates are designed for somebody with a 13.5 shoe. If this is the case, then yes, it will affect your skating.

Baking will not probably not help that much. The cheap skates might not be thermoformable, anyways.

BTW, you will probably want to spend more than $100 on your new pair of skates.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

coldwind posted:

BTW, you will probably want to spend more than $100 on your new pair of skates.

Alizee, If you spend $150ish you can probably get some pretty decent skates of last year's model.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah 50 more would be ok later on probably.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

dms666 posted:

You can get a 8'x4' piece of "smooth panelboard" ,which is just like a whiteboard, at Home Depot/Lowes for $11, the ones online are like $75 for a small piece. If you are going to use it outside you might need to put it on a piece of plywood or something because its pretty thin

Those tend to break if you take slapshots on them and are in constant need of lubrication, and you can get the real-deal for as cheap as $39.99 online. The real deal is made from high-density polyethylene, same material as cutting boards, so if you happen to know of a local plastics company then you can probably get a piece of scrap for cheap or free, otherwise you're better off just buying the real thing.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

toxicsunset posted:

Those tend to break if you take slapshots on them and are in constant need of lubrication, and you can get the real-deal for as cheap as $39.99 online. The real deal is made from high-density polyethylene, same material as cutting boards, so if you happen to know of a local plastics company then you can probably get a piece of scrap for cheap or free, otherwise you're better off just buying the real thing.

Yeah I havnt actually tried doing tons of slapshots off of mine yet so couldnt say on that. Was gonna cut a piece off of my board to take outside to try them once I found a place where I could set up my net, and yeah, it does need some silicon spray on it every few weeks

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

dms666 posted:

Yeah I havnt actually tried doing tons of slapshots off of mine yet so couldnt say on that. Was gonna cut a piece off of my board to take outside to try them once I found a place where I could set up my net, and yeah, it does need some silicon spray on it every few weeks

The things you mentioned work really, really well for stickhandling though. Because you can get larger sheets for cheaper. But yeah if you look around online you'll see a lot of people complaining that their cheap solutions can't handle slapshots. Plexiglass works too if you just plan on stickhandling. Again, you have to keep it nice and lubed at all times. I lubed up my shooting board once when I got it and it remains pretty slick(as seen in the video posted). IF you can find the right type of plastic(high density polyethylene) and get a huge sheet it'd be ideal but most plastics companies won't sell you a small enough piece at the right thickness for the right price cuz it's mostly for industrial use and usually bought in bulk (think 1000 sheets)

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

toxicsunset posted:

The things you mentioned work really, really well for stickhandling though. Because you can get larger sheets for cheaper. But yeah if you look around online you'll see a lot of people complaining that their cheap solutions can't handle slapshots. Plexiglass works too if you just plan on stickhandling. Again, you have to keep it nice and lubed at all times. I lubed up my shooting board once when I got it and it remains pretty slick(as seen in the video posted). IF you can find the right type of plastic(high density polyethylene) and get a huge sheet it'd be ideal but most plastics companies won't sell you a small enough piece at the right thickness for the right price cuz it's mostly for industrial use and usually bought in bulk (think 1000 sheets)

Kids these days! Needing a nice flat surface to shoot from! In my day, I shot on my deck, at a net that literally had 4 different nets on it, was smaller than regulation size, and eventually had 2 layers of snow fence on it cause I kept ripping the net apart. My deck had the wood going perpendicular to wear I was shooting, so the puck would catch on all the edges if I wasn't careful. You know what it taught me? Character!

Ok, now that that's outta the way, just get a loving piece of plywood. To practice shooting, it doesn't need to feel like ice, because it never will, since you're not on skates. You're working on the mechanics (weight transfer, follow through, etc) when you shoot on foot, not how it feels. It will NEVER feel the same as on ice, because you're an inch, inch and a half lower, and your feet will not glide in the same way either.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

Kids these days! Needing a nice flat surface to shoot from! In my day, I shot on my deck, at a net that literally had 4 different nets on it, was smaller than regulation size, and eventually had 2 layers of snow fence on it cause I kept ripping the net apart. My deck had the wood going perpendicular to wear I was shooting, so the puck would catch on all the edges if I wasn't careful. You know what it taught me? Character!

Ok, now that that's outta the way, just get a loving piece of plywood. To practice shooting, it doesn't need to feel like ice, because it never will, since you're not on skates. You're working on the mechanics (weight transfer, follow through, etc) when you shoot on foot, not how it feels. It will NEVER feel the same as on ice, because you're an inch, inch and a half lower, and your feet will not glide in the same way either.
I feel like if you flexed your stick into plywood, it would be pretty drat difficult to progress along the shot enough for the blade to actually release...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I grew up using one of those Mylec "Air-flo" sticks and plastic pucks on my parents' driveway. That Air-flo technology turned me into the the world class shooter I am today.

(actually something that I think made me a lot better was using real pucks and an old stick with a street hockey blade on it. You really had to put some muscle on it to get any zip on a rubber puck coming off of concrete)

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

coldwind posted:

I feel like if you flexed your stick into plywood, it would be pretty drat difficult to progress along the shot enough for the blade to actually release...

I dunno, it never gave me problems, whether on plywood or a deck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I practiced shooting in the grass, because my parents didn't want me screwing up the porch. :colbert:

And the parking lot was off limits too, they didn't want me hitting people's cars.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
When my sticks get retired I take slappers off a concrete patio with a softball to work on flexing the stick more. It's awesome but destroys blades so don't do it with a stick you ever want to use again.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

When my sticks get retired I take slappers off a concrete patio with a softball to work on flexing the stick more. It's awesome but destroys blades so don't do it with a stick you ever want to use again.

Wood blades. Throw them in the opposite end of the shaft, get the same pattern you use on your other sticks, and replace them when needed. I'll always use a composite blade on the ice, because they retain their stiffness and shape so much longer, but for practicing off ice the wood blade was the way to go.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Do you think it's worthwhile to have your off-ice practice stick be a little shorter, to compensate for the height you get from your skates? I haven't bothered but was thinking about it the other day and it kind of makes sense.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

coldwind posted:

You're also going to ruin your stick a lot faster that way and to those saying it doesn't really feel like ice, well, you're wrong. And if youre that worried about the footwork feeling different, wear some inline skates.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Late responding, just got back from Phoenix and I'm absolutely wiped.

Won our first 2 game Friday and Saturday night, I played pretty badly trying to get the rust off.

Then we played Sunday morning, against a team of lower 20 year olds from Flagstaff, they came out cocky and went up 2-0 really quickly, but we came back and took them to OT and lost 4-3. That made them 3-0 and us 2-1, so we had to play another game that night against the other 2-1 team in the semifinal game.

We won the semi final game in OT although we should have beaten them pretty handily but we were tired and playing down to their slower pace.

We had to play the young team again in the finals on Monday, they were up 1-0 into the second when one of their guys punched me in the face infront of our net, he got a penalty, and on the ensuing powerplay I got a nice cross ice pass from the other D and ripped a shot that hit the goalie in the side of the mask/shoulder area and poped over and into the net.

The game was tied 2-2 with a minute left when our two fastest players got 2 consecutive 2 on 1s and the second time was the charm and the puck just trickled past their goalie, the goal scorer was being mugged but still got a piece of the puck.

Was a really fun tournie but man am I feeling it now. Ohh and I got 9 penalties in 2 games against the Flagstaff team, although in the second game 3 of those were taking the other guy to the box as well, I was a little worried because 6 penalties is a game ejection.

Ohh and the Warrior Widow stick, a little flexier then I'm used too, but it is a wrist/snap shot cannon, and I got a pretty decent slapper out of it too, and the flexability didn't effect my passing or stickhandling as much as I expected.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

coldwind posted:

Works on concrete, why wouldn't it work on plywood? For all of my off-rink practice I grab a cheap wooden stick and rollerblade out to the local park that has a handball wall setup adjacent to a pretty smooth basketball court.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Man, what ever happened to smacking around tennis balls in the basement?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Habibi posted:

Works on concrete, why wouldn't it work on plywood? For all of my off-rink practice I grab a cheap wooden stick and rollerblade out to the local park that has a handball wall setup adjacent to a pretty smooth basketball court.
Eh. True.

Green Submarine posted:

Man, what ever happened to smacking around tennis balls in the basement?
I have to imagine people still do that, but I don't think it's the best way to improve your puck shooting.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

You're also going to ruin your stick a lot faster that way and to those saying it doesn't really feel like ice, well, you're wrong. And if youre that worried about the footwork feeling different, wear some inline skates.

Roller blades still feel nothing like ice though.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
For what it's worth, USA Hockey is currently on a big push to get away from the tradition of off-ice for hockey training overkill. For instance, they're telling trainee coaches to encourage kids to play soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc. in the off season rather than joining summer leagues or spending a lot of time honing specific skills. Apparently it's based on research that shows that kids are likely to be more successful and avoid peaking too early if they become better all-around athletes. Just a general point that greater verisimilitude doesn't always mean better practice. So long as you're doing something that sharpens the basic skills you need, you'll be fine.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

For what it's worth, USA Hockey is currently on a big push to get away from the tradition of off-ice for hockey training overkill. For instance, they're telling trainee coaches to encourage kids to play soccer, lacrosse, baseball, etc. in the off season rather than joining summer leagues or spending a lot of time honing specific skills. Apparently it's based on research that shows that kids are likely to be more successful and avoid peaking too early if they become better all-around athletes. Just a general point that greater verisimilitude doesn't always mean better practice. So long as you're doing something that sharpens the basic skills you need, you'll be fine.

Yeah, soccer is great for hockey, for four reasons:

1. It still teaches you angles, and how to position your body to avoid getting caught, which is very applicable to hockey when you don't have the puck

2. It teaches you that sometimes it's good to go into a guy full tilt, but usually it's better to just slightly knock him off the ball. This is great for situations in hockey where you aren't going to be able to blow a guy up, but still need to get the puck away from him

3. Conditioning. Holy god conditioning

4. It makes you play with your feet better :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just got a Bauer PM9 Stamkos blade to replace my P92 Backstrom. I look forward to being able to lift a backhand again :v:

Most importantly, its a 5 lie and I was constantly wearing down my heel tape with the 6.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
CURSES

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for your order with HockeyMonkey.com. Unfortunately we have sold out of the following item(s) on the order:

*Bauer Supreme One95 Sr. Hockey Gloves 14in. Black

Other options available:

*same gloves in 15in
*same gloves in 14in royal/gold or blue/red/white
*one75 14in bct - 20% off
*one60 14in black, navy, red - 10% off
*stealth s6 14in maroon - 15% off
*bauer 4roll pro 14in maroon - 15% off, sick glove
*one80 14in maroon - 15% off

Please let us know how you would like to proceed. In the meantime your order will be placed on hold.

Thank you,

Stella T.

I've been laughing at "sick glove" since I got this last night. I wonder who put that on there. Was it Stella? Does Stella find the 4 roll "sick"? Also which ones should I get...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

bewbies posted:

CURSES

I've been laughing at "sick glove" since I got this last night. I wonder who put that on there. Was it Stella? Does Stella find the 4 roll "sick"? Also which ones should I get...
I say go with the sick glove. I've had my 4roll's for over a year now and I loving love them. So goddamned comfortable that it's amazing.

Though if you light your gloves tight to your hands you may want to look elsewhere, they're a pretty loose fitting glove so that may factor into it. Otherwise if you like loose, amazingly comfy gloves jump all over that poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

real_scud posted:

I say go with the sick glove. I've had my 4roll's for over a year now and I loving love them. So goddamned comfortable that it's amazing.

Though if you light your gloves tight to your hands you may want to look elsewhere, they're a pretty loose fitting glove so that may factor into it. Otherwise if you like loose, amazingly comfy gloves jump all over that poo poo.

Seconding the 4-Rolls. If I didnt wear my easton EQ's I would be wearing 4-Rolls.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Just got One95 13in gloves from a friend, coming from Easton S3's it's quite a change, the thumb being the hardest to get used to, having trouble getting my right hand off the stick when I need to reach.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Minister Robathan posted:

Roller blades still feel nothing like ice though.

I have to disagree pretty heavily with this one. Especially just standing still. When moving, sure, rollerblades feel a little different. Especially when it comes to turning/stopping. But standing still there's virtually no difference except you have a bit more grip on rollerblades. To say 'theyre nothing alike', and imply one doesnt translate to the other, is pretty silly. If you have never rollerbladed before but have ice skated your whole life, and strapped on a pair of rollerblades, you'd be more than alright at rollerblading, and visa versa.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

toxicsunset posted:

I have to disagree pretty heavily with this one. Especially just standing still. When moving, sure, rollerblades feel a little different. Especially when it comes to turning/stopping. But standing still there's virtually no difference except you have a bit more grip on rollerblades. To say 'theyre nothing alike', and imply one doesnt translate to the other, is pretty silly. If you have never rollerbladed before but have ice skated your whole life, and strapped on a pair of rollerblades, you'd be more than alright at rollerblading, and visa versa.

I just started playing roller hockey and it feels nothing like ice to me. The concept of "edges" doesn't really seem to exist. Also it seems like at least once a game a puck winds up in a spot where no one can stop fast enough to get to it, so you just have 3-4 guys skating in circles around it for a few seconds. This never fails to make me laugh.

In related news I literally just discovered synthetic ice existed yesterday. Has anyone ever skated on the stuff? Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line? I would have given a nut to have this in my basement as a kid, even at $10/sqft.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

bewbies posted:

Also it seems like at least once a game a puck winds up in a spot where no one can stop fast enough to get to it, so you just have 3-4 guys skating in circles around it for a few seconds. This never fails to make me laugh.

I have played like 3-4 roller seasons. I have never seen this happen. Even when a puck is on the boards I have never seen anyone have problems stopping. What kind of surface are you playing on?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Has anyone ever skated on the stuff? Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line?

You're a witch and should be burned.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

I just started playing roller hockey and it feels nothing like ice to me. The concept of "edges" doesn't really seem to exist. Also it seems like at least once a game a puck winds up in a spot where no one can stop fast enough to get to it, so you just have 3-4 guys skating in circles around it for a few seconds. This never fails to make me laugh.

In related news I literally just discovered synthetic ice existed yesterday. Has anyone ever skated on the stuff? Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line? I would have given a nut to have this in my basement as a kid, even at $10/sqft.

It's been around for a while now and while the technology is getting better, you still need to work harder to skate the same distance that you would on ice. Some places are switching to it, because it is cheaper to maintain than ice, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than practice.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I have heard that synthetic ice is bad for your blades. Skating on it really heats up quick or something like that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have heard that synthetic ice is bad for your blades. Skating on it really heats up quick or something like that.

I know that you need to sharpen your blades more frequently if you play on synthetic ice.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

They're nothing alike. No wait, that's not what I said, I said they still feel nothing like ice.

Standing still, while shooting, on ice you will dig your skates into the ice. On roller blades, you can't do this. I'm not saying that rollerblades aren't better than standing there in shoes, I'm just saying that it's still nothing like shooting on ice. Which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing, as when you're practicing off ice, you should be working on mechanics rather than the feel of different shots.

One place where rollerblades have a huge step up on being on foot is practicing shooting while coming down the wings, the one footed shots.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You're a witch and should be burned.

Let me have my dream of a rink in my yard that doesn't require cold :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Let me have my dream of a rink in my yard that doesn't require cold :mad:

There's demo videos on youtube if you hunt around.. it looks like you can skate as if it were ice, though I have no idea how it "feels".

Apparently you can even hockey stop on the stuff, which amazes me.