Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dauntasa posted:

I thought FFXII kind of sucked at first. Vaan was such a worthless character that it was slightly painful to play as him, especially when he was around people who aren't worthless and who could have easily been the main character. But then I realized that, for the first and only time in FF, I could make every member of the party use a gun. And so I did, and all was well until loads of things started being resistant to guns and combat became really nasty because I was too stubborn to give anyone different weapons.

Well, and Vaan really isn't the main character. He's the perspective character, but past the first couple hours the game forgets he even exists. In terms of story importance, Ashe is really the only contender for Main Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Psion posted:

Honestly you're best getting the PSX version and using epsxe or pSX to run it. FF7 was such an early title - it came out before the Dual Shock, even, I believe - that it's pretty obnoxious to get running but it's quite possible. Plenty of guides are out there, etc.

I mean the PC mods sound neat, but the FF7 and 8 ports are seriously among the worst ports ever written, there is only so much polishing you can do.

I have my FF7 game disks for the PC still and yeah, it's almost impossible to get to run correctly. All of the sprites and 3d renders have this weird black texture around all of them for me.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, and Vaan really isn't the main character. He's the perspective character, but past the first couple hours the game forgets he even exists. In terms of story importance, Ashe is really the only contender for Main Character.

Basch is the main character, but it's true that Ashe's story drives the themes and events. Basch has the important perspective, though.

And yeah, Vaan is the cameraman.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I don't hate FFXII... :unsmith:

Yes, I too am an FXII lover, and never really... well, no, that's a lie, I DO understand the hate for it. Vaan is an insufferable twat of a child who had absolurely no bearing on the story (I won't say he has no purpose at all, but he was a late addition to the game and it shows); the story was a bit slow and involved and was essentially Star Wars by a slightly more competent writer but without the lightsabers, Force powers, or Wookies; and the script went a bit crazy with the faux Middle English style. But it's in my top Final Fantasies because it just blended together well for me. The combat system grew on me, I LOVED the hunting minigame, there was no drat love interest shoehorned in with the main character, everyone ignored Vaan just as much as I, and at least they tried to differentiate the world by adding accents, which is something I think should be played with more. Come on, these are huge worlds in RPGs here; you expect me to believe they all speak the same language in the same way? Come on. Also, it had Balthier. That alone would have redeemed it for me.

And what the hell, as long as I'm digging a hole for myself, I liked Xenogears too. The script was clunky as heck, it was obvious we were only getting a part of some huge epic story, and the second disc was unfinished because everyone at Square decided Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was going to make them all rich, but drat it, it had charm! And it had a GREAT soundtrack, it was obvious someone put in a lot of thought into the symbolism, and the battle system was interesting at least.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

George posted:

Basch is the main character, but it's true that Ashe's story drives the themes and events. Basch has the important perspective, though.

And yeah, Vaan is the cameraman.

Too bad he didn't end up being eaten by some terrible beast like in Cloverfield. It'd be my favorite JRPG of all time.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

resurgam40 posted:

Yes, I too am an FXII lover, and never really... well, no, that's a lie, I DO understand the hate for it. Vaan is an insufferable twat of a child who had absolurely no bearing on the story (I won't say he has no purpose at all, but he was a late addition to the game and it shows); the story was a bit slow and involved and was essentially Star Wars by a slightly more competent writer but without the lightsabers, Force powers, or Wookies; and the script went a bit crazy with the faux Middle English style. But it's in my top Final Fantasies because it just blended together well for me. The combat system grew on me, I LOVED the hunting minigame, there was no drat love interest shoehorned in with the main character, everyone ignored Vaan just as much as I, and at least they tried to differentiate the world by adding accents, which is something I think should be played with more. Come on, these are huge worlds in RPGs here; you expect me to believe they all speak the same language in the same way? Come on. Also, it had Balthier. That alone would have redeemed it for me.

And what the hell, as long as I'm digging a hole for myself, I liked Xenogears too. The script was clunky as heck, it was obvious we were only getting a part of some huge epic story, and the second disc was unfinished because everyone at Square decided Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was going to make them all rich, but drat it, it had charm! And it had a GREAT soundtrack, it was obvious someone put in a lot of thought into the symbolism, and the battle system was interesting at least.

FFXII is basically ye Olde Englishe (well, technically, Elizabethan English) Star Wars, and for that I just kind of fell asleep during all of its plot. It really didn't attempt to be anything aside from what it was, and it didn't help that the music sounded John Williams-y, too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
On repeat plays of the game, Vaan kind of grew on me. For the first couple hours he's all "rah rah rah, hate the Empire, my brother is DEAD, rah!" but shortly afterwards he comes out and says "yeah, I was acting childish. I was having a rough time coming to grips with my parents being dead, then my only sibling going and getting killed and having my country taken over, leaving me a directionless penniless orphan in a land that just had its freedom and identity stolen. But I'm ready to move on." After that, he's just acting like a pretty average teenager eager to see the world and go on adventures. He gets a lot of hate, and he's kind of a dumbass, but he's not nearly as irritating as Tidus or Squall in my opinion.

George
Nov 27, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

Awesome.

I think they pulled off Vaan more gracefully than anyone will admit, but I definitely keep a save right after Balthier shows up for when I replay the game. Also, gently caress Star Wars. It can loving Get Right the gently caress Out of my video games, and the fact that I love FFXII's story so much despite all the Star Wars is a minor miracle I guess.

The things that put it permanently and distantly at the top of my list, though, are the subordination of every genre trope in the service of establishing and conveying the exploration of a world, and the ceaseless dedication to not wasting the player's time. Dialogue is subtle and succinct, there are no lengthy transitions between scenes or game modes, and I can honestly say that almost every second of both of my 100-plus-hour save files was spent actually playing the game. This is what we've been missing since FFVII.

I hate the random spawns and loot farming, though. I don't understand why Matsuno's so into awesome equipment being frustrating to get.

Schwartzcough posted:

On repeat plays of the game, Vaan kind of grew on me. For the first couple hours he's all "rah rah rah, hate the Empire, my brother is DEAD, rah!" but shortly afterwards he comes out and says "yeah, I was acting childish. I was having a rough time coming to grips with my parents being dead, then my only sibling going and getting killed and having my country taken over, leaving me a directionless penniless orphan in a land that just had its freedom and identity stolen. But I'm ready to move on." After that, he's just acting like a pretty average teenager eager to see the world and go on adventures. He gets a lot of hate, and he's kind of a dumbass, but he's not nearly as irritating as Tidus or Squall in my opinion.

I like how they use him and Penelo in scenes with Lharsa. That's about where his usefulness ends.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

FFXII is basically ye Olde Englishe (well, technically, Elizabethan English) Star Wars, and for that I just kind of fell asleep during all of its plot.

See, I have lots of holes in my memory about FF12's plot and it comes out every time I discuss it, so lately I've tried to discuss it less and less.

However, I can discuss why it was left with a lot of holes: there was just so much nothing between them--some folks say, "well there were amazing landscapes and monsters and holy poo poo I got my poo poo kicked in and it was awesome!", but I say, "I played it on an 8" CRT from the 80s and I hate losing to a stupid fuckin' machine"--so as you can see, for me, all the locales were essentially pointless and excessively frustrating filler between plot events. And there was so much of it that you completely forget what you were actually doing in the meantime.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 2, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

See, I have lots of holes in my memory about FF12's plot and it comes out every time I discuss it, so lately I've tried to discuss it less and less.

However, I can discuss why it was left with a lot of holes: there was just so much nothing between them--some folks say, "well there were amazing landscapes and monsters and holy poo poo I got my poo poo kicked in and it was awesome!", but I say, "I played it on an 8" CRT from the 80s and I hate losing to a stupid fuckin' machine"--so as you can see, for me, all the locales were essentially pointless filler between plot events. And there was so much of it that you completely forget what you were actually doing in the meantime.

I'm actually enjoying FFXII more by watching it in an LP with people who know what they're doing instead of... actually playing the game. That's a testament to its quality, I suppose.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bonsai Superstar posted:

Xenogears was when I realized that listening to the fanboys on the GameFAQs RPGs-Squaresoft board (I was in high school, shut up) was not a good idea. You know how overpriced that game was before it went Greatest Hits? Never finished disc 2. :sigh:

Xenogears is the only game I've ever played involving giant robots that I could not finish.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

He gets a lot of hate, and he's kind of a dumbass, but he's not nearly as irritating as Tidus or Squall in my opinion.

Honestly, I kinda liked Tidus. After a while, anyway. He was a whiny dickbag for a bit, but it seemed like he had some sort of angst quota and, once he reached it, he was pretty chill about everything, even after he had a much better reason to be angsty. I actually thought FFX was okay, too. The story kind of blew, but the gameplay was fun and there weren't any really terrible parts(I got stuck on Evrae for like 3 weeks, but that was because I was extremely underleveled and stupid). FFVIII, I didn't like much at all. It took me a while to grasp that leveling up was bad and that horribly abusing the Junction system was what you were supposed to do. I barely remember anything about the story(something something Gardens are where mercenaries live something something sorceress something something Seifer is a jerk something something orphans something something time travel).And I hated that loving card game.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Elephantgun posted:

I'm going to break the mold here and say I want a fantastic linear experience. Sort of like FF13, except not like FF13 at all. The days of getting lost on the world map looking for some small town are over for me, I want a game that's highly fine tuned as a result of it being linear. Mostly, it avoids the leveling grind. I want an RPG that's difficult and challenging for reasons that make it actually difficult or challenging. Using the right skills at the right time, (if possible) getting rid of RNG, having complete control over your units (possibly positioning but mostly skill selection). The only thing deciding if you win or not is you. Not whether or not that Ultimate Attack you can only use once a battle crit or not, or if you grinded on generic easy enemies for an hour, or if you found the secret weapon and just hit him with it until he died.

It's turn-based combat, you can strategically use moves and completely control the fight. I don't know why this hasn't been taken advantage of. Really, why do we even need experience? Just level up after each boss is fought so the developers can control the user's game experience. No respawning enemies, you can see them on the world map (which in my mind is sort of like FF12/13), once you kill them they're dead. They're only there to obstruct your forward path, not to kill over and over for xp. The bosses are hard as gently caress. I want bosses to loving destroy me, and I want to customize my characters with what the game gives me and use my skills effectively to beat it.

Hm. I'd suggest checking out the Grandia series (Grandia 2 in particular was linear as gently caress and great fun re: controlling the battlefield), but it's probably not challenging enough for your tastes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jefepato posted:

Hm. I'd suggest checking out the Grandia series (Grandia 2 in particular was linear as gently caress and great fun re: controlling the battlefield), but it's probably not challenging enough for your tastes.

Well like I've said before, Grandia 2 has its own sense of challenges, such as the time-tested "can I beat this boss without taking damage by gaming the AI and timing my delay techs?"

But then, I think Game Arts deliberately tries (tried? i don't know if they're defunct or bought out or what) to make their games accessible. Grandia 2 was, after all, the game where you could buy infinite permanent-stat-boosting items at the end.

Also Noriyuki Iwadare is an awesome composer. Very "1990s Japan" sound. Plus he primarily played the trombone, that's a sure sign that he's good people

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dauntasa posted:

Honestly, I kinda liked Tidus. After a while, anyway. He was a whiny dickbag for a bit, but it seemed like he had some sort of angst quota and, once he reached it, he was pretty chill about everything, even after he had a much better reason to be angsty. I actually thought FFX was okay, too. The story kind of blew, but the gameplay was fun and there weren't any really terrible parts(I got stuck on Evrae for like 3 weeks, but that was because I was extremely underleveled and stupid).

I liked most of FFX, aside from Tidus. I still hate Tidus, as he's portrayed in FFX, but I actually found I liked him more in Dissidia if only because they made very slight changes to the motivations for his bitchiness that made it easier to swallow for me.

For those not aware, my take on FFX Tidus was basically "waa, waa, mommy didn't love me when daddy was around and daddy didn't hug me enough." In Dissidia, he came across more as "my dad's really strong, I want to be strong enough to earn his respect." I can support the latter a lot more.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't understand why they didn't go down the route of "I hate my dad because he was an arrogant emotionally abusive dickhead alcoholic". His reasons at the start of the game are really petty when put next to Yuna going to sacrifice herself. It's odd that he shows no angst at all when told that he'll stop existing though, and I will give him that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

For those not aware, my take on FFX Tidus was basically "waa, waa, mommy didn't love me when daddy was around and daddy didn't hug me enough."

Yeah, I got that too, for the first bit. He angsts right up until the bit where it would be reasonable to angst, and then stops. He spends a lot of time being whiny, and then the game goes "You gon' die." and he's like "Oh, well, poo poo happens".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I got that too, for the first bit. He angsts right up until the bit where it would be reasonable to angst, and then stops. He spends a lot of time being whiny, and then the game goes "You gon' die." and he's like "Oh, well, poo poo happens".

It's not too hard to believe someone would throw away the petty bullshit that consumes them once they are forced to face their own mortality.

Tidus is a really great character honestly. It's just too bad that character happens to be insufferable for the majority of the game. His emotions are pretty complex, it's just that he can only express himself like a child. I have no idea why anyone puts up with his poo poo.

George
Nov 27, 2004

My main problem with Tidus is that he basically takes advantage of Yuna in that lake. Really twisted.

It's like after FFVII they forgot how to make a love story interesting. FFVI and FFVII both had really interesting relationships between the characters, but they threw it all out for contrived bullshit and instant character turnarounds. Rinoa dry humps Squall and suddenly he's Rico Suave.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

George posted:

My main problem with Tidus is that he basically takes advantage of Yuna in that lake. Really twisted.

Kimahri likes to watch.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Nice job so far Elentor! I'm pretty excited about this thread since it's a game I've put way too many hours into.

I played FF7 on the PC first and have so many memories of it crashing after playing for hours without saving. Installing it on my grandmother's computer, having it crash after playing for 10 minutes and having the manual to read on the flight home was frustrating. The Playstation version was a godsend to play compared to the PC version.

I think I was 9 at the time I got it so I will have some dumb things to say about playing this game at an age entirely inappropriate for the subject matter.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
FFXII is alright, but Basch as the main character makes the game infinitely better, makes Gabranth a much more compelling villain, makes Gabranth being on the cover make sense, and it's goddamn sad they crammed Vaan and Penelo into the main character slots. But that's not the real problem with the game. The real problem? The MarquissssssssssssssssssSSSSS. THE S IS SILENT. STOP SAYS MARQUISSSSS AUGH

George
Nov 27, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

FFXII is alright, but Basch as the main character makes the game infinitely better, makes Gabranth a much more compelling villain, makes Gabranth being on the cover make sense, and it's goddamn sad they crammed Vaan and Penelo into the main character slots. But that's not the real problem with the game. The real problem? The MarquissssssssssssssssssSSSSS. THE S IS SILENT. STOP SAYS MARQUISSSSS AUGH

Only in French. The British pronunciation doesn't have a silent S, and the game uses British English. Deal with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey, Azure was right - FFXII talk. And much sooner than I expected.

Ahem.

First, I don't think FFXII has a main character. The fact is, the story is so badly paced that characters fall in and out of prominence with loud thunks.

Basch, for instance, spends 80% of the game taking up space as far as the story is concerned. When Vossler dies, Basch loses all relevance. He only regains some importance at the top of the final dungeon and in the endgame.

Balthier, who you could argue has the second most plot importance after Ashe, doesn't really do anything significant until halfway through the game.

Really, if all there was to FFXII was the playable cast, I'd probably hate the game. Luckily for me, there is far more to it than that. There is the Imperials who, breaking from FF tradition, are not cartoonishly evil. Pretty much every Final Fantasy has an "Evil Empire" that eventaully transitions into or gives ground to the real villain. But in FF12, the Empire is well-explored and depicted in a more morally grey area.

Heck, the noblest character in the game (Larsa) is a leader in the Empire.

That's why I like FFXII at any rate. The main cast sucked but the antagonists were a nice change of pace from what we're used to in Final Fantasy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 2, 2011

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not too hard to believe someone would throw away the petty bullshit that consumes them once they are forced to face their own mortality.

Tidus is a really great character honestly. It's just too bad that character happens to be insufferable for the majority of the game. His emotions are pretty complex, it's just that he can only express himself like a child. I have no idea why anyone puts up with his poo poo.

It's so easy to understand why they put up with him. All of the characters are miserable and depressed since they're on a journey to do something horrible. Tidus, who doesn't realize the gravity of the situation, is carefree, optimistic, and always upbeat. He's constantly cheering everyone up, making them laugh, and is the only person that makes Yuna happy. She tells him that herself later when he's apologizing for the way he acted. Without Tidus, her pilgrimage would have basically been nonstop sadness.

Tidus is not only a really great character. Tidus is the best FF main character.

Edit: And Tidus doesn't change because he's faced with his own mortality. He changes because of what he found out about Yuna. He's in love with her, inspired by what she intends to do at the end of her quest, inspired by how strong she's been to pretend like nothing was wrong the whole time to make others happy, and wants to save her more than anything else in the world. He's no longer concerned with himself.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 2, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

There is the Imperials who, breaking from FF tradition, are not cartoonishly evil. Pretty much every Final Fantasy has an "Evil Empire" that eventaully transitions into or gives ground to the real villain. But in FF12, the Empire is well-explored and depicted in a more morally grey area.

Heck, the noblest character in the game (Larsa) is a leader in the Empire.

FF9 didn't really have an evil empire. Alexandria was for a bit, but that was Brahne's fault and it went back to normal when she died. And, really, I don't think ShinRa counts, either. I mean, they're an Empire, I guess(albeit of the corporate variety), and there are a few members who would not be too out of place in an episode of Captain Planet. Going any further into this would be spoilers, I guess, but I think ShinRa's got a bit more depth than, say, the Empire from FF6.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

FF9 didn't really have an evil empire. Alexandria was for a bit, but that was Brahne's fault and it went back to normal when she died.

Yeah but that's no different than how Baron was being used by Golbez in FFIV. Once you kill the Fake King it's no longer an Evil Empire either.

As I said, the evil empire always folds so the main villain can take center stage.

quote:

And, really, I don't think ShinRa counts, either. I mean, they're an Empire, I guess(albeit of the corporate variety), and there are a few members who would not be too out of place in an episode of Captain Planet. Going any further into this would be spoilers, I guess, but I think ShinRa's got a bit more depth than, say, the Empire from FF6.

Eh, I'd say Shinra is pretty evil. You're right about spoilers but with one or maybe two notable exceptions, everyone at Shinra does belong on Captain Planet.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This, this is the biggest thing for me. He's just an eight-year-old boy the entire drat game. I will admit that it was nice that he wasn't still a bitch about his ending, that much was nice.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

George posted:

Only in French. The British pronunciation doesn't have a silent S, and the game uses British English. Deal with it.

This makes sense if the majority of the voice actors were actually British, but they aren't.

Look at a game like Drakengard II, where its voice actors were all British (and as such you have pronunciations like "leftenant" for lieutenant), but it's stupidly jarring to have actual British pronunciations of things like Marquissssss when there is an inconsistency in terms of the version of English all the VAs use.

But even in Britain people say it both ways. And we also say "mar-kee" in American English, so it's not exclusively French, either.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2011

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Really, I think FF8 and FF10 are incredibly alike. Both feature a largely one-dimensional cast of characters, both feature characters that are really hard to like, both have very convoluted stories...hell, the games have a similar art direction and both were hailed as having impressive visuals for their respective systems. A lot of the plot elements (time travel, destiny) and characters are pretty similar too. (I guess the main difference is that FF10 had a pretty cool battle system and some cool boss fights, while FF8 had...Triple Triad, I guess?)

Also, maybe I'm the only one, but I actually enjoyed the Ancient Forest. It wasn't a great puzzle area, and wouldn't stand out in, say, a Zelda title, but the rest of the game is pretty dry when it comes to puzzles. Like, the only other good ones I can remember are during your first time through the Shinra HQ building and picking up Vincent in the Shinra mansion. I like the occasional puzzle in my JRPG, especially in an end-game area where it breaks up the "grind, grind, grind some more" monotony that most seem to fall into.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 2, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

George posted:

It's like after FFVII they forgot how to make a love story interesting. FFVI and FFVII both had really interesting relationships between the characters, but they threw it all out for contrived bullshit and instant character turnarounds. Rinoa dry humps Squall and suddenly he's Rico Suave.

Hahaha, yeah, no. Really, the love story in FFVIII is one of the most well done ones I can think of. When you consider just how closed off he was, and his emotional immaturity because of it, his actions make a lot more sense. The whole story is about him growing emotionally, and watching Squall change from emotionally detached and closed off is . He starts off incredibly confused at basic human relationships, and reacts in a hostile manner because of it. Yet, as he witnesses the people around him, fights alongside and with them, and so on, you see his reactions to the similar situations that pop up often change gradually. Early on, he's hesitant to rescue a teammate because it would blow his cover, but a couple hours and more rescues later, he's jumping down several floors to slice the knees off a guard hurting his friend.

His relationship with Rinoa also evolves, shifting from the aforementioned hostile confusion, opening up to her as a member of the party, developing basic feelings, becoming attached, dealing with loss, taking steps toward recovery, and so on. And in each conversation, you can see his reactions evolve, paving the way for the next step in his emotional growth.

Really, that's why I love VIII so drat much, because instead of throwing everything directly in your face, it prefers much more subtlety in its character interactions. Sure, it looks jarring if you just look at point A in comparison to point B, but a lot of people miss the gradually sloping line connecting the two.

I know I shouldn't bother defending the game, especially not here, but really, it isn't nearly as bad as people seem to think it is.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

[/spoiler]blah blah[/spoiler]

Fix your taaaaags. :argh:

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

poo poo about FF8

I guess since you avoided typing a miles-long post about my opinion re: FF7 I'll try to avoid doing the same in response to your opinions re: FF8.

Except to point out that Squall goes from hating Rinoa to being hopelessly devoted to her in the span of about 4 hours, which does seem long for a novel or movie but is a loving flash in the pan for a JRPG, and all with absolutely zero development on Rinoa's part. Sorry I just can't loving help myself what the poo poo is wrong with me.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 2, 2011

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

S-Alpha posted:

I know I shouldn't bother defending the game, especially not here, but really, it isn't nearly as bad as people seem to think it is.

I have to agree with you on this point. There's been a lot of speculation and reviewing of the game over the years, but you are right: Most people miss the gradual changes the characters go through.

On another note, this LP is fantastic so far. I love all the little videos with boss strategy. It shows off some things I didn't know or I never tried. Elentor, will you be showing off some of the Enemy Skills you can learn later? Finding those was always the most fun I had with FFVII.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

Really, that's why I love VIII so drat much, because instead of throwing everything directly in your face, it prefers much more subtlety in its character interactions. Sure, it looks jarring if you just look at point A in comparison to point B, but a lot of people miss the gradually sloping line connecting the two.

Unlike FF9, this is one loving serious case of rose-tinted glasses. Here, I have the remedy for you:

EVENTS IN THE INTERIM:
galbadia garden crashes into balamb garden
invading galbadia garden and fighting edea
rinoa goes into a coma

BAM

FOLLOWED BY:
talking to people you've never met before on a boat

Sorry man, Leovinus was being a big joker, but seriously: Squall is like a big baby who doesn't give a poo poo about some toy until someone takes it away from him.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

I guess since you avoided typing a miles-long post about my opinion re: FF7 I'll try to avoid doing the same in response to your opinions re: FF8.

Except to point out that Squall goes from hating Rinoa to being hopelessly devoted to her in the span of about 4 hours, which doesn't seem long for a novel or movie but is loving forever for a JRPG, and all with absolutely zero development on Rinoa's part. Sorry I just can't loving help myself what the poo poo is wrong with me.

Except he stopped hating her shortly after the little blowup they had at the TV Station. At that point, things reverted to neutral. After that, it's all about the gradual changes, with things like her jumping in to assist him, despite everything he had said to him, and when he only saved her for the sake of his mission. And stuff like worrying about her when she's at the missile base, and so on. But before he really opens up about it, she's gone, and his emotional floodgates open, and he has to deal with both the realization of his attachment and the loss. That's generally the point where people noticed the changes, and it seemed like a glaring change when compared to his actions before, since it's rare that the first-time player would pay attention to the subtleties. I know I didn't at first.

Seriously, I could do this for nearly every scene in the game. Also, drat it, I did it again. Jesus.

Edit:

The White Dragon posted:

Words and pictures

Except that's exactly what I mean. His emotional immaturity makes it so that he can't really open up about his feelings, and instead prefers to keep to himself instead. I mean, you can't say he doesn't care about her, since he rescued her off the cliff, and dealing with the divide between his desires and his duties is a big part of that scene.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 2, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

S-Alpha posted:

Really, the love story in FFVIII is one of the most well done ones I can think of.

You must be out of your goddamn mind man.

Sparks fly between those two like two damp, rags. Squall may not be as bad as many people think, but the romance between him and Rinoa is so weak that I'd believe it was a leftover from an earlier build of the game.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 2, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S-Alpha posted:

Except that's exactly what I mean. His emotional immaturity makes it so that he can't really open up about his feelings, and instead prefers to keep to himself instead. I mean, you can't say he doesn't care about her, since he rescued her off the cliff, and dealing with the divide between his desires and his duties is a big part of that scene.

Wait, what? So it's because he's instantly matured emotionally that he's able to confide in what amounts to a breathing corpse. It's not a case of "oh i'm keeping everything bottled up all the time and i wear black because this is how i feel on the inside of the mason jar," it's just lovely and incredibly unnatural writing.

I mean even in Squall's inner monologue up to that point--literally right up until Rinoa "dies"--he basically loathes her and talks to himself about how insufferable she is. If it was actually about how he was bottling up how he feels because he was emotionally immature, or afraid of opening up to people, or anything at all like that, his monologues would've been about how opening up to people is dangerous for a fella in his profession as a mercenary, or how he doesn't know how to leave time for love. Instead, he broods on and on about being talked about in the past tense and rolls his eyes and facepalms. Disc 2 and Disc 3 is like it's about two different people--and not in the self-realization sort of way--because there is literally a complete disconnect between everything that was outwardly said, inwardly thought, or otherwise expressed in the game's limited pantomime body language.

And then he tells a corpse how much he loves it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 2, 2011

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to point out Squall rescuing Rinoa off the cliff was a complete accident/contrived coincidence.

Just moments before that, there was this excahnge:

quote:

Zell: Squall, DID YOU HEAR ME!?

Squall: YEAH!!! But she's not the only one in danger!

Irvine: "Didn't think you were so heartless, Squall. Rinoa is gonna die! Don't you realize that!?

So then proceeds to split the party into teams and sends only one person to save Rinoa. That person fails and it's up to Squall to, completely by chance, save Rinoa.

I'm all for subjective opinions S-Alpha and I won't criticize you for liking FFVIII. Heck, I think Squall and Rinoa had some sweet scenes and I don't really like either of their characters. But Squall really never admits any special feelings for Rinoa until she goes into the coma.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FF8 discussion, I don't want this to turn into a bad thread :smith:

Urcinius posted:

What's the point. All the materia you need is morph. In the very first town it becomes available is also a monster that, when morphed, gives you Power Sources. You can complete the rest of the game rolling 9s on your physical attacks easy peasy.

Visit the crashed <thingy> for all the other sources as well. The Two American Releases ain't so bad if u's gots perfect stats and multi-attack materias.

The point is that like I already said I'm going for entertaining value here. Seeing me one-shot every boss until the end of the game doing 9999 wouldn't qualify as entertaining unless it's some unique interesting exploit almost no one knows about.

I mean it's already hard as hell thinking of ways to make the boss fights fun to watch even if I don't cheese.

Weird BIAS posted:

Nice job so far Elentor! I'm pretty excited about this thread since it's a game I've put way too many hours into.

I played FF7 on the PC first and have so many memories of it crashing after playing for hours without saving. Installing it on my grandmother's computer, having it crash after playing for 10 minutes and having the manual to read on the flight home was frustrating. The Playstation version was a godsend to play compared to the PC version.

I think I was 9 at the time I got it so I will have some dumb things to say about playing this game at an age entirely inappropriate for the subject matter.

Thanks.

King of the Cosmos posted:

I have to agree with you on this point. There's been a lot of speculation and reviewing of the game over the years, but you are right: Most people miss the gradual changes the characters go through.

On another note, this LP is fantastic so far. I love all the little videos with boss strategy. It shows off some things I didn't know or I never tried. Elentor, will you be showing off some of the Enemy Skills you can learn later? Finding those was always the most fun I had with FFVII.

Yeah I'm gonna show all the Enemy Skills, unless I forget some in which case I'm not, but that's life.

Enemy Skills are great fun.

Anyway what would you guys want for the next Bugs & Bytes? I'm thinking about talking about Mods.

• Locked thread