Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schistosity
May 15, 2009

Checking in- 6 weeks smoke free!

What worked for me was a combination of reading carr's book, 1 week of patches, and finally understanding and believing that I needed to quit. I've already talked to 2 people who're trying to quit but don't honestly believe they're giving up absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Week 13 - I'm fast again! I'm usually late but being able to run like Forrest loving Gump on crack for hours makes up for that.

I used to be a hard-core alcoholic right after quitting (needed something to do since I couldn't sleep for more than 30min at a time) but that seems to get better as well.

I got 3kg fatter so far. (6.6 lbs)

PS: that is after 13-14 years with an average of 3-4 packs a week and one try to quit that lasted 3 months (beat that already)

Warthog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2011

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Quitting today, I'm in the middle of a vicious cold and smoking is like inhaling knives. I want to remember it that way.

Frank Fencepost
Dec 27, 2005
STOP POSTING PICS OF SEXY MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS GUYS. SERIOUSLY:gizz::gizz::gizz:
It's been five months today.

Before quitting, I stayed inside my house and didn't move much. I was out of shape, horribly out of shape. I couldn't run, ride a bike, or walk very far. Forget lifting anything heavy- out of the question.

I've gone from that, to walking up to ten miles a day just because I feel like it, riding a bicycle an average of four miles a day, working out at the gym usually 3-4 times a week, and taking my daughter swimming twice a week.

I've lost several pounds of fat and gained several pounds of muscle.

I can breathe. Like, REALLY breathe. It's awesome.

I'm really happy I've un-sentenced myself to death.

ALL THAT BEING SAID...

If you wanna quit, quit. If you don't, don't. In the end it's up to you and if you enjoy being miserable neither I nor anybody else should attempt to dissuade you from your unhappiness.

Swoon
Jun 14, 2008

Frank Fencepost posted:

ALL THAT BEING SAID...

If you wanna quit, quit. If you don't, don't. In the end it's up to you and if you enjoy being miserable neither I nor anybody else should attempt to dissuade you from your unhappiness.

This is so true. And probably one of the hardest things about quitting too. No one can do it for you. No one can really even help you. There is no aid out there that will make it happen. You have to want it. And you have to make the changes.

I'm just coming up on my 2 month mark and I feel fantastic. I've lost 15 lbs since I quit, mainly due to me being able to go after my HIIT workouts like a rabid dog. I'm fast, strong and I can endure an insane amount of punishment when it comes to exertion now. My singing voice is coming back. I can taste food. I can smell all sorts of crazy poo poo (this is a mixed bag). I've used the money I've saved to buy books off my 'Must Read' list.

The easy switch got flipped right around the 6 week mark. Don't get me wrong, it got easier after the first week but it became easy at 6 weeks. Some days I don't even think about cigarettes once. I'm perfectly fine around my smoking friends (which is pretty much all of my friends). Oh and cigarettes still smell delicious to me. But what I've gained far outweighs what I lost, so I don't even lust after them.

You can do it, goons!

Pelafina
Jan 1, 2010

"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that Android
Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance."
Been smoking since April 2009. Now I've lost my sisnging voice, and I cough up phlegm all day every day. Very light headed all the time... but I like smoking so much :suicide:

Decided to try to quit 3 days ago... not doing that well. I still haven't bought a pack (which is phenomenal considering that I've been a pack a day smoker) but I've been getting the bits of tobacco from the butts of old cigs and smoking that from a pipe. I've bummed 2 or 3.

It's driving me insane. It's so hard. I don't think I'll be able to do it... but I have 0 money to spend on the drat things so I guess that'll help?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pelafina posted:

Been smoking since April 2009. Now I've lost my sisnging voice, and I cough up phlegm all day every day. Very light headed all the time... but I like smoking so much :suicide:

Decided to try to quit 3 days ago... not doing that well. I still haven't bought a pack (which is phenomenal considering that I've been a pack a day smoker) but I've been getting the bits of tobacco from the butts of old cigs and smoking that from a pipe. I've bummed 2 or 3.

It's driving me insane. It's so hard. I don't think I'll be able to do it... but I have 0 money to spend on the drat things so I guess that'll help?

I was in your position five months ago. 11 dollar e-cig from a gas station did the trick for me. I just hit it when my cravings were really bad and it kept me from relapsing and buying any real smokes. I don't want to encourage you to just shift your addiction to another medium of nicotine, but it really helped me quit, haven't smoked any tobacco in almost 5 months.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Been a pack a day smoker for over 10 years. Just about to hit 2 weeks without a ciggarette. Chantix is working well for me. I am getting the weird vivid dreams, which I never had before, and constipation (which I'm sure you all were dying to hear about), and maybe I'm a little edgier than usual. But overall, I'm doing pretty well. This is the fist thing I've tried where I just flat out didn't feel the need to go light up. Gum, patches, electronic ciggs, nothing else worked.

This is the easiest time I've had trying to quit. Hope I can make it stick.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just realized Wednesday was exactly three months since my last drag. I think this is officially my record.

I'm to the point now where if I start missing them while around friends that smoke, I immediately don't want one after smelling it. Man those things really do smell like rear end.

Smegma Enigma
Mar 7, 2006

[T-2:25] Overwhelming sense of well-being and euphoria
Started my first quit attempt this morning and lasted around 9 hours before something stressful happened and I caved because I thought I was gonna freak the gently caress out if I didn't smoke. I still haven't bought any but I've smoked 4 bummed cigarettes today. :sigh:

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

I'd been smoking sporadically for about a year but started smoking more over the last few weeks due to exams. Hopefully I'll be able to restrict it to just when I'm drinking after exams are over. Never had any problem doing so before, but that was always after smoking only for a week or two and I guess it's been a month of ~10 a day now :ohdear:

Though I don't really care about quitting entirely at this point, just enough that I'm not getting tired out running or getting laid.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
around 8 months now! whoop!

This is the longest I've gone, previous record was around 6 months. the difference this time is that I quit drinking and doing recreational drugs at the same time. Every other time I quit smoking I always started again when I was out of my mind, legally or otherwise. Now I need to actively decide to start smoking again, which I don't think I'll be doing.

ColonelMoutard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 30, 2011

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Good luck goons, I really hope you ALL manage to quit smoking. I've smoked myself and quit, I occasionally have grabbed a smoke from a friend in the past, especially in a party. (once in a month or two), but I've decided to go for zero tolerance - the stance I had for it BEFORE starting smoking at all.

I am basically smoke-free, I never get cravings, I get no enjoynment from the act itself - if I ever for some reason take a cig, I am immediately reminded why I don't smoke. To quit smoking, you must WANT to quit, you just need to not give a flying gently caress about smokes. Or that's how I eventually managed to do it, after cutting back and cold turkeying failed. Cutting back actually worked for me better than cold turkey. But I'm sure it all depends on the person.

In any case, I've managed to quit smoking. I know, I only smoked for about a year, but still, I had an addiction. (around 10-14 cigs a day on average.)

YOU CAN DO IT

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's been a week since I quit smoking (~6-10 cigs a day) and switched to electronic cigarettes. I know it's only a risk reduction thing but my lungs feel better and smoking has lost a lot of its appeal (I haven't drank yet though.) I'm hoping to quit nicotine altogether but I'm afraid of going cold turkey for psychological reasons. It's nice to be a non smoker though because it would basically take a blood test (or just asking nicely) to tell I still use at all.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

It's been a week since I quit smoking (~6-10 cigs a day) and switched to electronic cigarettes. I know it's only a risk reduction thing but my lungs feel better and smoking has lost a lot of its appeal (I haven't drank yet though.) I'm hoping to quit nicotine altogether but I'm afraid of going cold turkey for psychological reasons. It's nice to be a non smoker though because it would basically take a blood test (or just asking nicely) to tell I still use at all.

Electronic cigs are nothing compared to real smokes. From what I understand, electric cigs are basically nicotine inhalators. Nicotine isn't "deadly" when we compare it to all the other poo poo that smokes have.

Whatever you do, don't go back to the previous crap. I'm delighted to hear that smoking has lost it's appeal to you, use the electric cig when you really need it, pick up jogging or some other easy and no-stress sport that's good for you.

The most important thing here is that you don't want to smoke anymore, you don't need nor want it. If you keep decreasing your dose, and picking up other activities like sports / jogging, after a while you'll be wondering if you even need that random electric inhale, and that you've been without smokes for god knows how long, and just end up making the final decision - quitting that stuff altogether

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
I lasted almost a week without snus this time, but have managed to fully give up cigs. It's a start at least, and most of my cancer risks are gone :v:

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I just started smoking djarums. I don't actually inhale into my lungs though. They are just so tasty in the mouth.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Oh, hello thread. Saw this at the top, and realized that I haven't smoked a cigarette in at least a month now. Quit about two weeks before my 22nd birthday because I got really sick, and I've been free since. Had a nasty cough for awhile that would wake me up in the middle of the night.

Went on a bike ride today - I'm graduating from college soon, and I wanted to appreciate Santa Cruz one more time. There's a beautiful road, West Cliff Drive, that is rather high class and goes along the ocean. It has a nasty wind to bike into, though, and I used to give up about halfway down the road because biking into the wind is a huge pain... I haven't gone a ride since I quit, though. I not only rode against one of the toughest winds I've ever encountered, I also did it much faster than I usually do, and I also not only hit the end of the road, I also decided to bike up a huge hill to go over to my friends place and share a few brews.

Feels good to be able to bike forever again. It's worth the two-three weeks of lovely, folks.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
So far this thread thinks chantix is a good idea. I'm going to the doctor bright and early for it unless someone here changes my mind.

I've been smoking a pack a day for 2 years. For about 6 months before that i was that guy who'd keep the same pack of smokes for a month.

I've never been addicted to anything and i've tried everything. One of the things that pisses me off the most about this addiction is at least when i snorted a line of coke or crushed oxycontin i felt loving great for hours. The only time when i really enjoy a cigarette is after hours of forcing myself through withdrawals, and that first hit is like a drink a water on a scorching hot day. Otherwise though, its like being hungry with nothing but food you hate available. And hell, that first cigarette that feels so good leaves me with nausea, light-headedness, and a racing heart.

Over the last month, I've cut down a good bit. I've switched to smoking American Spirits only. I know they're 100% as bad for you, but they don't have the usual chemicals. I've gone from a pack a day of camels to a pack a day of American Spirits or Skydancers many times, and for about 3 days after the switch i'll crave cigarettes, even while smoking my usual amount. I'll smoke so much my throat hurts and i physically cant smoke more. The chemical withdrawals aren't that bad, but they're there. I've been smoking 4-8 of these a day too, so the cravings are much lighter. I've also gone from 3-4 cups of coffee a day for a year to 1-2 cups a week over the last 3 weeks and now that i have time off i havent been touching any.

When i try to quit off of regular cigarettes its horrible. Even off of these though, i'll shake, sweat, and get infinitely bored, lonely, and depressed. After 5-18 hours i find myself laying in bed hallucinating. My roommates notice the moment i enter the room whether i've been smoking or not.

My record spent not smoking was 18 hours yesterday. I had 4 cigarettes in my remaining 6 hours, which im kicking myself for. I've had 6 today, as i had to get some stuff done and didn't have the energy to endure withdrawals. Depending on what i do regarding chantix, i might go for another 18 hour run tomorrow.

I have to get nicotine out of my system, its loving up my life. I don't have the "habitual" addiction, i.e. needing something to do with my hands or whatever. Also i don't like the act of smoking so much, i'd rather just eat some food that tastes good or drink a nice cold drink. I smoke to avoid withdrawals.

My dopamine system is so hosed up i don't get happy about anything anymore. I still get just as sad about bad news, but you could hand me a 100$ bill and chemically i would be unresponsive. Its reaching depression levels, but i've never been depressed, and if this continues after i havent smoked for a month i'll definitely go to a doctor about it, but like i said i've never been depressed and don't have anything to be depressed over at the moment, other than this addiction.

Nicotine replacement products are a sham from what all i've read. At the most they release you from the physical habit of smoking. Nicotine is the problem though. The only big thing you avoid is lung cancer and the little things like smelling, tasting, lung strength, hygiene, and teeth whiteness do not compare to being chemically addicted to a substance that altars your brain, mood, and energy levels. You still get all the heart and brain risks associated with smoking too.

I'm going to read through the rest of this thread and google up some chantix info, but i skipped ahead to post because like i said i'll probably be in a doctors office tomorrow morning for a chantix prescription.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
A friend of mine tried Chantix. He quit for about a year but started back up again. It also made him mental while he was on it.

I'm at about 5 months without a cig. I quit cold turkey for new years pretty much spontaneously after all the people I was partying with made it their resolution. So far this is the longest I've gone without a cigarette since I started probably 7 years ago. As far as I can tell the best way to quit is to just man the gently caress up and quit.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011

plecostomus posted:

I started smoking at 14 and stopped smoking last year aged 31. I am still a potential smoker, I think you are always a potential smoker even when you have stopped smoking. I still miss that first smoke of the day, the nicotene infusion warming the bloodstream, that shiver as the fix hits home.

A number of things led to me deciding to kick the bastard weed, including:

* a desire to save some money - I was spending at least £250 /month on tobacco, 30 or 40 cigarettes a day.

* a desire to feel normal again. Once I realised that each cigarette just stops the craving for nicotene temporarily, and sets up the timer until the next craving, the insanity of what I was doing really hit home.

* Jesus the loving smell!

* I wanted to enjoy a meal, a journey, a film, without craving a smoke like some smacked up junkie. These bastards ruined countless events for me over the years because all I could think about was getting my cig on. Cunts.

* I have a son and I want to live long enough to see him grow up.

Cold turkey was the way for me. I read the Allan Carr book, and a lot of what he talked about made sense, I can highly recommend it. If you remember you're not quitting anything or giving anything up, you're kicking a drug addiction, the whole process becomes easier.

After a year I have noticed that I enjoy food more, I am fitter, considerably richer, and generally a happier person all round. gently caress you, smoking!

Nice post, I can add to the "I wanted to enjoy a meal..." part with an even more pathetic situation. Post-sex, girl wants to blow me to get me going again, im debating letting her do it or stepping outside for a smoke first. I can also add "I wanted to not risk my job sneaking outside for a smoke because i was shaking too much to work anyway."

Also i like the perspective of thinking about nicotine as the junkie drug it is.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011

chem42 posted:

A friend of mine tried Chantix. He quit for about a year but started back up again. It also made him mental while he was on it.

I'm at about 5 months without a cig. I quit cold turkey for new years pretty much spontaneously after all the people I was partying with made it their resolution. So far this is the longest I've gone without a cigarette since I started probably 7 years ago. As far as I can tell the best way to quit is to just man the gently caress up and quit.

It gets people different ways. Its kinda like alcoholism. I can't imagine being addicted to alcohol, the last thing im thinking about after a night of drinking is another drink. However nicotine hits home.

I've found a few people similar to me in level of addiction. Hours of shaking, sweating, staring at the ceiling, and going through some sort of hallucinogenic half-sleep are hard to man up through :/

The hallucinations havent been too bad yet. Almost enjoyable, but its that a day of not smoking involves them. Cant really work a job through that, you know.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
4 months today since I quit. I'm currently coughing up quite a lot of crap and have a sore throat. Is this normal for this length of time quitting? I'm trying to work out if it's happening just because I quit, or because I'm still hanging out with people who smoke a lot (pretty much every one of my friend still smokes so I'm in smoky living rooms a lot).

Keisari
May 24, 2011

chippy posted:

4 months today since I quit. I'm currently coughing up quite a lot of crap and have a sore throat. Is this normal for this length of time quitting? I'm trying to work out if it's happening just because I quit, or because I'm still hanging out with people who smoke a lot (pretty much every one of my friend still smokes so I'm in smoky living rooms a lot).

Passive smoking is total bullshit don't believe in it.

The time for your lungs to recover depends a lot on how long you smoked. How long did you smoke? If you smoked for years and years, it can take a long time for all the tar and other poo poo to exit your lungs, but they will, as long as you don't smoke.

4 months is still totally plausible. Is your condition improving? For example is it easier to breathe and so on?

MistaBob
Apr 9, 2003

I AM NINJA
Ramrod XTreme

Keisari posted:

Electronic cigs are nothing compared to real smokes. From what I understand, electric cigs are basically nicotine inhalators. Nicotine isn't "deadly" when we compare it to all the other poo poo that smokes have.

Whatever you do, don't go back to the previous crap. I'm delighted to hear that smoking has lost it's appeal to you, use the electric cig when you really need it, pick up jogging or some other easy and no-stress sport that's good for you.

The most important thing here is that you don't want to smoke anymore, you don't need nor want it. If you keep decreasing your dose, and picking up other activities like sports / jogging, after a while you'll be wondering if you even need that random electric inhale, and that you've been without smokes for god knows how long, and just end up making the final decision - quitting that stuff altogether

I've been on an e-cig for a month now after 5 years of smoking almost a pack a day, and honestly, I'm pretty sure I overstocked on the liquid for it because after the first week and a half I barely use mine anymore. I basically only use it maybe once or twice at work if that, and even when I drink heavy I'm still not nearly puffing away as much I did on real cigs. Supposedly the cartridges are roughly equal to around 5-10 cigs depending on who you ask, and I'm still using the same one I filled 4 days ago with it still half filled. I'll probably be totally off it within the next month or so.

The best part about it is the reason I quit the real thing - I'm not hocking up phlegm and being completely stuffed up every day I wake up like I have a constant cold. My sense of smell has came back pretty well too - I knew I wasn't smelling pleasant while I was a smoker, but once you're off and your around other smokers holy god is it a repulsive smell. I really feel bad for all my other non-smoking buddies who put up with it when I was around. Hell, even if I'm not yet completely off the nicotine yet, it just feels drat good to technically be a non-smoker, especially if you were just certain you'd never be off it.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I told myself about 8 tonight I was quitting. I bought another pack at about midnight.

I don't think I'm ready for the commitment yet.

provocateur
Sep 22, 2008

provocateur posted:

I've smoked 50 cigarettes per day for the past few years. I only took notice of how often I smoked in the past 6 months, I've always been too ashamed to keep track. My partner and I spend anywhere between $230- $345 per week on cigarettes. Sometimes more, never less. I'm 25 and have been smoking since I was 15.

It's been 2 days since I've quit. So far it seems hard but not impossible, my mind plays tricks on me (I imagine my hand reaching for a lighter) and I have to constantly counteract whatever thoughts are running through my head, eg: I think I love the taste of cigarettes/ In reality cigarettes taste like nothing but warm toxic air that is choking me.

I've almost given up twice so far, then I realise I don't want to fail. I want to smell again, be able to taste, to not be self conscious of my breath and the list goes on and on. That empty nagging feeling can be strong sometimes, but i'm determined to beat it.

Well I did it! Both my partner and I haven't touched a cigarette since and have no desire to ever start smoking again. There really aren't any words that express how amazing it feels to have conquered cigarettes.

To anyone that thinks they can't do it, you can! Don't stop trying.

Game Overman
May 23, 2004
under the radar
Today was a week smoke free, the longest I've gone without smoking for 12 years. I was stupid, bought a pack and had two, then threw the rest away. gently caress you cigarettes, I'm the boss of you!

I'll post again in a month if I've been strong. Otherwise, just assume I got the cancer and died.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Keisari posted:

Passive smoking is total bullshit don't believe in it.

The time for your lungs to recover depends a lot on how long you smoked. How long did you smoke? If you smoked for years and years, it can take a long time for all the tar and other poo poo to exit your lungs, but they will, as long as you don't smoke.

4 months is still totally plausible. Is your condition improving? For example is it easier to breathe and so on?

Is that right about passive smoking or is it some sort of in joke? Do you have a source?

I had my first cigarette on my 16th birthday and quit a couple of months before my 29th. From I guess aroun 19/20 onwards I smoked weed (with tobacco) pretty much daily all evening with a few rollies during the day at work, so that's a fair bit of crap to clear from my lungs I guess.

I guess my condition is improving, it's hard to tell really. My bike is currently out of action for repairs and I'm generally quite busy when I'm not at work so I haven't had much chance to exercise to get an idea.

Does the lung clearing process stop at all if you smoke? For example, I had a couple of puffs (literally 2) on a joint while I was on holiday about a month ago (yes I know this is cheating but it's literally the only time I have smoked since I quit), how much would this set me back in terms of clearing my chest out? Like, would it stop for a few days or something?

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 2, 2011

Keisari
May 24, 2011

chippy posted:

Is that right about passive smoking or is it some sort of in joke? Do you have a source?

I had my first cigarette on my 16th birthday and quit a couple of months before my 29th. From I guess aroun 19/20 onwards I smoked weed (with tobacco) pretty much daily all evening with a few rollies during the day at work, so that's a fair bit of crap to clear from my lungs I guess.

I guess my condition is improving, it's hard to tell really. My bike is currently out of action for repairs and I'm generally quite busy when I'm not at work so I haven't had much chance to exercise to get an idea.

Does the lung clearing process stop at all if you smoke? For example, I had a couple of puffs (literally 2) on a joint while I was on holiday about a month ago (yes I know this is cheating but it's literally the only time I have smoked since I quit), how much would this set me back in terms of clearing my chest out? Like, would it stop for a few days or something?

Your body starts to recover a few minutes after your last smoke. Smoking does push it back, but the lungs constantly try to recover. I'm not sure how harmful weed is to lungs, I've not read anything about that, but I've read that your lungs start to recover faster around 2 weeks after kicking the habit. (But ofcourse if you smoke a joint of weed with tobacco with your friend, it'll start to ease up about 2 days afterwards.)

Point is, your lungs are on a perpetual state of recovering and repairing all the time, if they weren't, you and everyone would die pretty quickly. This includes coughing up tar.

But if you're unsure about it, you could always go and see a doctor. I don't know where you live and if it's free, but if your country does have free health care, and you have chest pains, it's better to be safe than sorry. (Although from what I recall, sore throat isn't a clear symptom of anything bad)

And yes, well I do have a source after some google google. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/lung/smoking/#passive

As you can see, YES, passive smoking does increase cancer risk by 25%, but it's calculated from a healthy person.

You can get lung cancer without smoking even once, and the chance for that are pretty low. Now add 25% to that risk, it's still pretty small. I acknowledge that my original statement could've given the image that it's not harmful at all, and I'll rephrase that now:

Going haywire over the slightly elevated risk is not worth it, in my opinion.
But the press always plays with the percentages, because percentages are funny and can be phrased so it sounds very dangerous.

For example, let's hypotetically assume that risk for lung cancer without smoking is 10 out of 1 000 000, a million.
Now our second hypothetical person has a job in a restaurant / bar that *gasp* smokers visit. She works there full-time, so now she statistically has a 25% elevated risk.

Now the risk is 12.5 out of 1 000 000.

I made all the numbers up, it's just to visualize the risk growth. It's not that much when it's calculated from the zero risk, but the media makes it sound very bad. Sure, it does increase cancer risk, but the media wildly exaggerates it. And there are more dangerous things to worry about, like first-hand smoke.

Rule-of-thumb, don't smoke, and don't go sniffing cigs point-blank when others smoke.
I hope somebody finds this useful.

MistaBob posted:

*story of great success*

I'm proud of you.

With that, you only inhale water and nicotine, right?

Keisari fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 2, 2011

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Goddamnit, I quit for a month then started again the other day!

WHYYY!?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

nattrass posted:

Goddamnit, I quit for a month then started again the other day!

WHYYY!?

Don't quit on quitting. Quit again!

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Keisari posted:

Don't quit on quitting. Quit again!

Urmm... Monday.

Got a big event Saturday and it will just do my head in I reckon.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

fredor posted:

I just started smoking djarums. I don't actually inhale into my lungs though. They are just so tasty in the mouth.

Why do people come here to post that they've started smoking? Did you read any of this thread? I can only assume you haven't since there isn't any good reason to start down the road that leads to the horrible poo poo people have described in this thread.

1BoredGuy
Jul 31, 2006

Just a little bored.

nattrass posted:

Urmm... Monday.

Got a big event Saturday and it will just do my head in I reckon.

You'll always find an excuse to keep on smoking. There really isn't ever a "good time."

To contribute: I've successfully quit for a week now, cold turkey, after about 5 years of smoking.

I have a daughter who loves playing outside and it's, well, heartbreaking to tell her to wait while I have another smoke. Combine that and the spouse asking me hard hitting questions and...yeah, I had the push to quit and succeeded.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
If you are like I was, you envy non-smokers. You see them and they just have an aura of cleanliness and freedom around them. The good news is - being a non-smoker is not some exclusive fraternity that you need to pledge for or get hazed for months to join. The second after your last cigarette, you are a non-smoker. Remind yourself of that, and enjoy all the benefits that come with being a non-smoker (both physical and social) immediately. The only time you should ever even mention that you once smoked is at the doctor's office. Aside from that, whenever someone asks if you smoke - just say "no"... not "I used to" or "not anymore".

You're a non-smoker...end of story. Congratulations :)

Goyder
Jan 20, 2007

Daddy! Daddy! Are you sure this is right?
I have now been smoke free for 5 months - and now 2 months nicotine free as well.

I have the odd day where I really, really crave a smoke - but for the most part all social situations and work situations I dont even bat an eye or even miss it anymore.

It was really hard, but I've done it.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Lyer posted:

I quit on the 3rd of last January too. :)

Good luck to those who are going to embark down this road. The first three days are rough; the next three weeks are even rougher, but then one day as you're lying in bed, you'll realize you haven't thought about smoking once and that's a great feeling. I'm not going to lie and say I don't ever think about smoking again, I still do, but the craving isn't nearly as strong.

Quoting from the 2nd page, 1 year and 5 months ago. It gets easier with time, for a while you'll miss it whenever you smell smoke, but eventually the smell won't trigger any cravings or desire. I'll see people smoke, I've been out to bars and had a few drinks, but after such a long time without having one, I don't have that urge anymore. It feels like a different life when I did used to smoke. For those of you who are feeling like it's a never ending battle of willpower, eventually there will come a time where it gets easy. Hang in there!

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Lyer posted:

Quoting from the 2nd page, 1 year and 5 months ago. It gets easier with time, for a while you'll miss it whenever you smell smoke, but eventually the smell won't trigger any cravings or desire. I'll see people smoke, I've been out to bars and had a few drinks, but after such a long time without having one, I don't have that urge anymore. It feels like a different life when I did used to smoke. For those of you who are feeling like it's a never ending battle of willpower, eventually there will come a time where it gets easy. Hang in there!

Yes, this is simple psychology. You kick a habit, first it's very hard, but the longer you are without it, the less you crave it.

I've heard from my friends that some people crave it for the rest of their lives. Personally, I think they are exaggerating. Human brain is incredibly adaptable, and I do not think that the majority of people would crave smokes after, let's say 5 years after quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Anyone have any alternatives to smoking cigs? I have started smoking recently due to stress and while I'm not addicted yet, I really like smoking them. The actual act of smoking them is both fun and relaxing and it helps me get out of my nerve wracked head and chill a bit. Not to mention, I really like the nicotine high.

I really like smoking but at the same time I don't want to get caught up in it. Are there any good alternatives for that oral fixation and contemplative relaxation? I guess cigars would suffice?

I'd like to finish off this pack of American Spirits that I really like and have these clove cigars for special times.

• Locked thread