Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

His Jim Tressel looks like Bob Dole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The last one is a classic terrible political cartoon. You'd think that the skeletons in the closet would be obvious enough to get your point across, but nope, gotta add in the random slips of paper that say LIES to be safe.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Good thing he put Tressel's name all over the place I thought it might be someone else's gravestone and closet

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Ohio lies State

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

What I find baffling about the closet one is that "Tressel's Closet" is written on the inside of the door. That doesn't seem very practical.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i know how much SAS hates Simmons but here's a great article from NYT about him

quote:

It was a sultry afternoon, and midway through the game, we went inside to the Dugout Club to cool off and talk. Simmons sounded as if he was having some regrets about Grantland. “It hasn’t been as much as fun as I had thought,” he told me. “I’m not sure I would do it again.” Too much of his time was being spent in the office, dealing with administrative tasks, which was encroaching on his column.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/magazine/can-bill-simmons-win-the-big-one.html

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Geno posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/magazine/can-bill-simmons-win-the-big-one.html

Yeah, this was an awesome read. The part about what is private for him is a little interesting.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

What I find baffling about the closet one is that "Tressel's Closet" is written on the inside of the door. That doesn't seem very practical.

I wonder what he kept in that tin can.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Geno posted:

Holy crap, he actually said this:

"Bill Simmons twitter posted:

I don't care if JJ Barea is from Puerto Rico, we need to put him on a dollar bill. He's an American hero.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It is called a joke

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe I'm just reading this incorrectly, but did AJ Daulerio intentionally sabotage an employee's meeting about a potential job with ESPN?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
morestuff, I forgot, that was the reason I came in this thread. He sabotaged Craggs twice on that grantland thing, once about a month ago
http://deadspin.com/5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

quote:

As huge a loss it will be for this site — and me personally — it would be incredibly foolish for ESPN to overlook him again. I've also been told — by sources close to the situation who don't work for this site in any capacity — that writing about this silly Disney corporate horseshit prior to Tommy's play date with Walsh would further jeopardize his opportunity to become a full-time staffer at Grantland. For now, though, he still works at Deadspin and I still work at Deadspin and this is a story we'd cover had any other potential Grantland writer become entangled in such stupidity.
what a dick (like we did not already know)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Maybe I'm just reading this incorrectly, but did AJ Daulerio intentionally sabotage an employee's meeting about a potential job with ESPN?
Yes. Yes he did.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Michael Silver throws a temper tantrum because Panthers players didn't allow him in to ask dumb questions during their unofficial workouts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y..._workout_060111
Headline: Punk move by Panthers players to lock out media

Michael Silver posted:

I have a message for the Carolina Panthers players who thought hiring a uniformed cop to keep reporters away from Tuesday’s workout session at a Charlotte high school was a good idea. And against all logic, I’m going to deliver it without the benefit of police protection:

You guys are acting like morons – and wimps.

Yep, I said it, and I’m prepared to own it, because it’s my job to enunciate opinions and accept the consequences.

Unlike a measly Carolina Panther, Silver is tough.

Michael Silver posted:

If I sound angry, I am – not because I have a desperate desire to see the Panthers parade around in shorts in June, but because I think they’re fools for not enthusiastically welcoming anyone in my business who wants to watch. Access is something I take very, very seriously, and when people deny it for no apparent reason, I tend to be a lot less receptive when they or their agents inevitably hit me up for coverage down the road.

I know there are many of you out there who think I’m merely whining and profess to prefer a reality in which reporters are routinely denied access and stonewalled at every turn. And I think you’re delusional. I demand access because, in most cases, you, the fan, seeks information. From what I can tell, many of you have a ravenous appetite for stories and rumors surrounding your favorite NFL teams and players, even in the middle of the offseason. Would you be cool with subsisting on team-issued press releases and players’ Twitter feeds?

Boo hoo Michael Silver.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Fisticuffs posted:

Michael Silver throws a temper tantrum because Panthers players didn't allow him in to ask dumb questions during their unofficial workouts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y..._workout_060111
Headline: Punk move by Panthers players to lock out media

Unlike a measly Carolina Panther, Silver is tough.

Boo hoo Michael Silver.

He DEMANDS access. Without him, how will we, the fans, know who lazily ran routes with Pickles today.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is seriously astounding how big an rear end in a top hat Daulerio is. There was a time when I genuinely loved Deadspin and checked it like four times a day but he's the worst.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I've stopped reading anything Daulerio does for Deadspin anymore. It's Funbags and features for me from now on.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Yea that Mike Silver twitter tantrum was horrible. It is almost like the Panthers are actually trying to accomplish improving in practice rather than be media buddies. They were only the worst team in the league last year, don't they know letting some douchebag from the Charlotte Observer interview them is more important than actually practicing.

Seriously, what a complaint. WAAAAA THE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO GET BETTER INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE MEDIA GAME WHAAAAAAAAAA

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

According to this blog post, Jay Greenberg on espn.com has an Insider article saying the Flyers are interested in Boston's Tim Thomas (I don't have Insider or I'd paste some of it here).

Why the hell would Boston trade the dude that has pretty much single handedly gotten them to the Cup finals, maybe even wins it for them? The blog post mentioned he doesn't even say a source told him this. The entire article is written as fact. Mind boggling.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Yea that Mike Silver twitter tantrum was horrible. It is almost like the Panthers are actually trying to accomplish improving in practice rather than be media buddies. They were only the worst team in the league last year, don't they know letting some douchebag from the Charlotte Observer interview them is more important than actually practicing.

Seriously, what a complaint. WAAAAA THE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO GET BETTER INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE MEDIA GAME WHAAAAAAAAAA

It's a shame Darrin Gannt got reassigned. He was a really good beat writer for the Panthers, and seemed to have a sense of humor about the job.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I just found out that Hipster Runoff is going to contribute to Grantland :stare:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Geno posted:

I can't stand how this constantly refers to it as the N.B.A. and not the NBA.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

AlleyViper posted:

I can't stand how this constantly refers to it as the N.B.A. and not the NBA.

NY Times style manual strikes again, Mr. AlleyViper.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Groucho Marxist posted:

I just found out that Hipster Runoff is going to contribute to Grantland :stare:

So is Masked Man, which is a great thing, if his Dead Wrestler of the Week writing is any indicaton.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
He keeps adding people so Grantland which I'm not sure is a great idea.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Deathlove posted:

So is Masked Man, which is a great thing, if his Dead Wrestler of the Week writing is any indicaton.

If Daulerio's treatment of Craggs is any indication, I wouldn't bet on Masked Man joining Grantland just yet.

leokitty posted:

The list of supposed contributors is probably going to be some of the only tolerable long-form writing on the site for a while. :haw:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

MorningView posted:

It is seriously astounding how big an rear end in a top hat Daulerio is. There was a time when I genuinely loved Deadspin and checked it like four times a day but he's the worst.

Same here. Ever since Leitch left the site, I checked it less and less, until I finally deleted it from my bookmarks.

Checking Wikipedia, I forgot how long Leitch has been away from the site. He left June 5th, 2008.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

"Contributors" doesn't really mean much, though. I'm sure quite a few of those people are on freelance contracts, so if they aren't working out they'd be easy to axe and replace.

I'm sure it'll take a little bit of time for the site to find its footing, but I'm optimistic.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Ribsauce posted:

I've gotta disagree. I read the piece again, and I think Mike Silver is absolutely in the right.

Not to get too much lockout talk into this thread, but the party that wins in the court of public opinion usually has an upper hand in these types of events, and while I'm sure that some players literally just want to go out and play football, that type of lip service would go a long way.

That article reeks of some frustration on Silver's part, but I think his point is valid.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
The Masked Man is outstanding even though his analysis is a little overwrought sometimes, it doesn't even matter. Does he write anywhere else?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

swizz posted:

The Masked Man is outstanding even though his analysis is a little overwrought sometimes, it doesn't even matter. Does he write anywhere else?

Who knows? He is, after all, The Masked Man.

From Parts Unknown...

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Lynn Hoppes used to be my professor and he was really pompous and rubbed me the wrong way, and even though after he got the ESPN gig he blew tons of their money on me and some friends at a convention one time, he still struck me as a bit of a creep.

I knew he was fairly hated around the Deadspin circle but they linked to this piece he wrote, and wow. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4892536

Edit: why the gently caress is this a story ugh

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2011

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Lynn Hoppes used to be my professor and he was really pompous and rubbed me the wrong way, and even though after he got the ESPN gig he blew tons of their money on me and some friends at a convention one time, he still struck me as a bit of a creep.

I knew he was fairly hated around the Deadspin circle but they linked to this piece he wrote, and wow. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4892536

Edit: why the gently caress is this a story ugh

Wow, Lynn Hoppes is a totally weird-looking guy, too. Anyone older than, like, 35 should not be allowed to have long hair unless their name is Gandalf or Dumbledore. Just my personal opinion there. The only people with long hair should be younger guys who can still reasonably pull of effeminacy while remaining attractive. Lynn Hoppes should not have long hair, because it just makes him look creepy as all hell and the overall effect is that it seems like he wants to look younger and cooler than he is.

Anyway, there are no words for that pizza article. I really can't quite figure out if it's him showing off about having a conversation with the Papa John's founder, like "Hey I'm pretty cool the OWNER OF PAPA JOHNS gives me pizza slices :smug:" or if it's a thinly veiled advertisement for Papa Johns. I think it's the former, because it seems to be in keeping with his whole "Hey look at how cool and hip I am with my long hair!" thing.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I've gotta disagree. I read the piece again, and I think Mike Silver is absolutely in the right.

Not to get too much lockout talk into this thread, but the party that wins in the court of public opinion usually has an upper hand in these types of events, and while I'm sure that some players literally just want to go out and play football, that type of lip service would go a long way.

That article reeks of some frustration on Silver's part, but I think his point is valid.

I think there were some good points in there but the article was ridiculous and poorly written. How you make your point matters if you're a journalist, not just what you say.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

kaworu posted:

Anyway, there are no words for that pizza article. I really can't quite figure out if it's him showing off about having a conversation with the Papa John's founder, like "Hey I'm pretty cool the OWNER OF PAPA JOHNS gives me pizza slices :smug:" or if it's a thinly veiled advertisement for Papa Johns. I think it's the former, because it seems to be in keeping with his whole "Hey look at how cool and hip I am with my long hair!" thing.

he bought a bunch of us dinner one time and put it on the ESPN black card in this really haughty way. Like if any normal person were in that situation, they'd politely slip the company card to the waiter and not say anything more, but this dude was so blatant about it and was like "Hey waiter, bring me one of everything.... ESPN is paying :smug:"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Honestly, my least favorite part of that article is the claim that pizza has "all natural ingredients" as if a steak dinner has been teleported from the Negative Zone or something. All ingredients are natural, dammit. :argh:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I don't.

Understand.

What is wrong.

With that.

Article.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not really sportswriting per se, but I enjoyed the photo on the cover of today's Sun-Times:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Not really sportswriting per se, but I enjoyed the photo on the cover of today's Sun-Times:

That's a pretty good photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm glad the Suntimes thought the Cubs even had a chance at a successful season because I was sure they had no chance at all, even before the injuries.