Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

sansuki posted:

I am running into a bit of a problem concerning color choices. I am painting up sword knights for Cygnar, and am doing an alternate scheme than normal. They normally look like this.

The alternate scheme I am going with is for Morrow, so the blue becomes white and the gold becomes silver. This is making this look terrible, I feel. What can I do, while still retaining the silver and white motif?

Gold becomes white, blue stays blue, silver stays silver. Alternately, gold becomes blue, blue becomes white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So are we still looking fondly on the Harbor Freight airbrush? Because I just found out there's a store nearby.

Any advise on how loud the compressor is on that thing?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

So are we still looking fondly on the Harbor Freight airbrush? Because I just found out there's a store nearby.

Yeah I've got a store near me too and was wondering the same thing the other day.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
So I finally got around to painting my unit of wraiths/banshee the other night.
I'm relatively happy with how they turned out, since I was mostly experimenting, though I absolutely hate the banshee model, and used her purely to try and recreate the ethereal colors of the librarian ghost from Ghostbusters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fix posted:

It's not very loud: I can speak at volume without having to speak over it while it's running, and if it's on a sturdy surface (like your floor), you can barely hear it from the next room over. Or I might just have thick walls.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
On the subject of airbrushes would I need some sort of glove box/fume hood or mask to use one? I'm in a dorm room for the summer and have been debating getting one but am worried about giving my self horrible health problems or painting the whole room.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fix posted:

It's very quiet. Definitely recommend it for basecoating but I am under the impression the airbrush leaves something to be desired as far as consistency goes.

Using it for zenith highlighting is difficult because it doesn't spray as finely as I'd like, but I don't know enough about airbrush setups to know what causes that sort of problem.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Be warned that the harbor freight air compressor doesn't have a pressure regulator on it.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
If you want to use the airbrush for non basecoating stuff yeah, need a pressure regulator. between adjusting pressure and the thinness of your paint + a double action brush and you'll be able to get pretty much any spray intensity you want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Finished my rough base coat of megalith. Feeling good about this army.

VVV
painting 4 bajillion skaven has burned out many a ham.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 3, 2011

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Trait(or)ilus. :mad:

Okay that wasn't as clever as in my head.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

I, too, would like to know the answer to this.

Also Tadhg - going to post this here for more input though it pertains to our short PM convo.

This refers to trying to fill gaps on SM bikes.

I've actually got some of the Vallejo plastic putty, but I'm not so sure about it. I've used it before but it ends up getting all mushy and stuff after I primer it I think. Maybe the propellant is causing it to dissolve? I'd like to get the stuff to work since I have a whole bottle of it, maybe I'm not doing something right.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I haven't heard anything good about Vallejo plastic putty. It takes ~3 days to fully cure, and even then can't be sanded well because it's such a soft material. Good for tiny holes maybe, but that's about it- I wouldn't use it on the joins on a bike.

I really recommend that anyone who works with plastic get themselves some proper brush-on plastic cement. It's much thinner than the stuff in a tube, and you end up using much less of it overall.

Plus, you can do this neat trick to eliminate seams:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=918033

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in to say that the Harbor Freight airbrush is good for basecoats, and that's about it. Even still, it's worth it every time I get a smooth green basecoat in minutes instead of hours.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

just toss a spare die at the models feet and use it to record wounds as he takes them. Helps to use dice that are a different color than the ones you are rolling.

That's what I do, but HardCoil was asking about the perils of wound counters mounted into a base.

If a wound counter, mounted high up, could be done properly it would be less of a hassle than a floating die on the board.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anyone have any recommendations for a compressor with regulator? I have an Iwata Revolution coming and am not averse to upgrading my current simple compressor.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I've decided to get back into my old Tyranid army a bit while I'm doing my Blood Ravens so I decided to take a couple shots of a couple of some of the old models I have painted. I got a little frustrated figuring out exactly what to do with the claws, so they aren't done.

They seem so sloppy now, I kind of want to try a new scheme but there's no way I'm repainting these ones.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
^^^ Sloppy? Those Nids look dope to me. I wish half the guys I played with painted their stuff that well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They look super crisp in these days of "dunk it in devlan mud"

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They look super crisp in these days of "dunk it in devlan mud"

My painting style :(

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Is there a good list somewhere, or can someone suggest one, of what I need to get started painting Marines? I'm planning on painting up Mentor Legion and have some ideas to reflect their "testing experimental gear/working with other imperial military" concept.

I've grabbed a few bits and pieces from ebay to play with and am trying to find someone to do the double AOBR box buy with, so what I'm looking for is a list of what to get so I can start painting.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

Chiming in to say that the Harbor Freight airbrush is good for basecoats, and that's about it. Even still, it's worth it every time I get a smooth green basecoat in minutes instead of hours.

Is this what you have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

Also is it possible to use foundation paints with the air brush? Maybe just requires extra windex?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here got any tips on dealing with mis-sized slot bases? One of the models I have is a bit too small for the slot gap and tends to lean left or right, any suggestions on how to deal with this? I was just thinking super glue or green stuff to fix up the gap, but is there any other alternative to dealing with it?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Waxpaper and white glue work. Plasticard, bits of sprue, corkboard also do the trick.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jeet posted:

Is there a good list somewhere, or can someone suggest one, of what I need to get started painting Marines? I'm planning on painting up Mentor Legion and have some ideas to reflect their "testing experimental gear/working with other imperial military" concept.

I've grabbed a few bits and pieces from ebay to play with and am trying to find someone to do the double AOBR box buy with, so what I'm looking for is a list of what to get so I can start painting.

A detail brush, a basecoat brush, and a drybrush. The first two can be any make as long as the bristles are kolinsky sable, the GW drybrush is actually excellent.
Revell Contacta Professional poly cement. It's a needletip applicator, and the glue is much better than GW's.

White undercoat. Black if you're going to paint the torso/head/backpack seperately. I would strongly advise against undercoating the white sections black.
Two pots each of Dark Angels & Goblin green. One D.A. is for basecoating and one is for mixing with a pot of Goblin to give you first level highlights. Second pot of Goblin is for final highlights.

One pot of Shadow Grey for shading the white. You'll want to thin that down with some water or Vallejo thinner medium.
Whatever colours you want for your base, something for the rim, something for the texture, and something for drybrushing on the texture.

That's what I used for mine anyway. I can post my notes of how I did the painting if you want.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here got any tips on dealing with mis-sized slot bases? One of the models I have is a bit too small for the slot gap and tends to lean left or right, any suggestions on how to deal with this? I was just thinking super glue or green stuff to fix up the gap, but is there any other alternative to dealing with it?

I typically just hold it in place up-side down for the 2-10 seconds it takes for the Krazy Glue to begin setting and then ensure there's a good bond on the underside by adding some extra at the bottom. You could also use something thin and hard to wedge underneath, but you're spending an awful lot of time carefully cutting a slender piece of plasticard or whatnought when the model will hold up just fine one the glue dries and you base it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Prefect Six posted:

Is this what you have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

Also is it possible to use foundation paints with the air brush? Maybe just requires extra windex?

Yup, that's the one. I haven't used foundation paints in it, but I see no reason why you couldn't.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Tadhg posted:

I haven't heard anything good about Vallejo plastic putty. It takes ~3 days to fully cure, and even then can't be sanded well because it's such a soft material. Good for tiny holes maybe, but that's about it- I wouldn't use it on the joins on a bike.

I really recommend that anyone who works with plastic get themselves some proper brush-on plastic cement. It's much thinner than the stuff in a tube, and you end up using much less of it overall.

That guide is awesome! Can you pick up the brush on stuff at any regular craft store like michaels? Also his last step say to wash the area? What does he mean? Literally wash it in the sink or does he mean apply another layer of the cement or what?

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A detail brush, a basecoat brush, and a drybrush. The first two can be any make as long as the bristles are kolinsky sable, the GW drybrush is actually excellent.
Revell Contacta Professional poly cement. It's a needletip applicator, and the glue is much better than GW's.

White undercoat. Black if you're going to paint the torso/head/backpack seperately. I would strongly advise against undercoating the white sections black.
Two pots each of Dark Angels & Goblin green. One D.A. is for basecoating and one is for mixing with a pot of Goblin to give you first level highlights. Second pot of Goblin is for final highlights.

One pot of Shadow Grey for shading the white. You'll want to thin that down with some water or Vallejo thinner medium.
Whatever colours you want for your base, something for the rim, something for the texture, and something for drybrushing on the texture.

That's what I used for mine anyway. I can post my notes of how I did the painting if you want.

I loving love you, and yeah, posting or PM'ing the notes would be great.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jeet posted:

I loving love you, and yeah, posting or PM'ing the notes would be great.

Apologies if this is a bit rambly, I've tidied it up a bit but I write my notes while I'm painting so they're sometimes a little less than coherent. If you don't recognise any of the paint names they'll be Vallejo Game Colour equivalents to GW paints. Shouldn't matter which you use, except that Vallejo metallics are poo poo.

I do the white by giving the model two undercoats of skull white spray (first a normal undercoat, second is lighter to bulk out the white), I then re-undercoat all the areas that are not going to be white chaos black.
Now that I have an airbrush I'd probably undercoat with Vallejo white airbrush primer and then use skull white through the airbrush to solidify it. I might also try using model masking tape to let me spray the black base onto the green areas.
I always do the white sections last, because you will get colours spilling over into them and you don't want to keep going back to do touch ups. I line it with shadow grey in the recesses and then neaten up any mistakes using fortress or space wolf grey. Then I use thinned down skull white (I always thin white with Vallejo acrylic medium but you can use water) about 1:1 and paint on as many layers as it takes to cover the grey up, leaving the shadow grey in as shading. Usually about two, maybe three to four for large flat areas.

Alternatively, if you're going over a black undercoat, start with astronomican grey as a basecoat, then shadow grey lining, then three parts space wolves grey to one part white for one coat, and then as many coats (three or so) as needed to get a solid white (thinned as above).
Doing it this way you can leave some of the white/wolves grey mix between the shadow grey and the white to give a smoother transition.

The guns are chaos black highlighted with 50/50 chaos black/codex grey and a final highlight codex grey.

Metal is black, boltgun metal, badab black wash. Highlighted with chainmail.

Gold is
Shining gold basecoat, next a devlan mud wash followed by shining gold highlights. Then burnished gold highlight, and finally 1:1 burnished gold & mithril silver for the final highlight

Mentor logos were home made transfers, you can get the design from Bolter & Chainsword. I'd be tempted in future to buy some Raptors transfers from Forgeworld and try to fill them in with Blood Red, I suck at freehand and home made transfers kind of suck.
I keep meaning to email forgeworld asking them to release a recolour of their Raptors sheet. On that note, FW Raptors vehicle doors work really well for Mentors.

Lenses/optics
Gory red base, lower 2/3 bloody red, lower 1/3 orange fire, white dot in top
Vehicle optics, vision slits, windscreens etc
Necron Abyss base, Magic blue highlight, Electric blue highlight

Purity seals
Khemri, then bone, then micron pen, then a wash of sepia
mechrite then blood red highlight on the seal.

Sergeant's stubble
1:1:(at least)5 Tallarn flesh : Cold grey : Vallejo glaze medium

Pouches
Scorched brown, highlighted with beastial, washed with devlan or sepia.

Bases
Beasty brown basecoat over the sand, then drybrush plague brown, then drybrush bone
paint rim Earth

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 3, 2011

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

Yup, that's the one. I haven't used foundation paints in it, but I see no reason why you couldn't.

Check HKR's post and he says he wouldn't recommend it, but I may try it super thinned down.

Do you just glob the paint from a citadel bottle into the air brush bottle and add windex to thin appropriately? I'm assuming you don't have to completely fill the air brush bottle since it's suction fed?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Flipswitch posted:

If the model leans, I just use some needlenose pliers to gently put a kink in the tab. Grab the middle and twist just a little, and the crimp should put both halves of the tab flush against opposite sides of the slot.

Just be gentle and don't go all :btroll: on it with ham hands.

Prefect Six posted:

That guide is awesome! Can you pick up the brush on stuff at any regular craft store like michaels? Also his last step say to wash the area? What does he mean? Literally wash it in the sink or does he mean apply another layer of the cement or what?
Some craft stores carry it, yeah. Testor's makes some, so there's a good chance that's what you'll find.

As for washing it- the last thing that you do is brush some of the cement over the area to make a smooth surface. When that dries, there will still be a film of the dried cement over it. You want to wash that film off- quick rinse with soapy water should be fine, or a toothbrush if you're paranoid.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tadhg posted:

I :h: you. This is the only way I'll ever be able to do space marine bikes. Those seams are just too much.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My terminator librarian replacement came already. (I called on Wednesday.) I haven't messed with it as I'm pretty under the weather, but I did take it out of the package. No damage to the stormbolter, which was what caused me to call. I see far less bubbles, and much less flash. The minimized flash is especially noticeable on the staff. There is some of the same pink material I saw last time, presumably from the mold. This time it's on the wrist of the optional open hand.

I can't give a final verdict until I get everything off the sprue and give it a super close look, but already this cast is much better than the first one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

washed and highlighted.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Well, 300+ pages of silently drooling over your models and I did it. I went out and bought a box of little plastic dudes. I got the khador battlegroup box, and I got to say, these dudes looked about twice as big in my minds eye before I opened the box. I'm exponentially more impressed with this thread, and now have to figure out how to paint my own little dudes. I've read plenty of this thread, and am anxious to get started, but somewhat intimidated by my little dudes. I'll be going out this weekend to get some primer and glue and brushes. I had a couple questions first, though. I want to either paint my army tan/orange for a sort of desert look or yellow/gray/black for a sort of construction equipment colored army. How should I prime these? and which would look better?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Speaking as a fellow newbie who bit off WAY more than he could chew far too early I'd go for tan/orange. You're going to make mistakes, and two colors fairly close to one another means you can cover them up pretty neatly.

Also, put off using white for as long as possible, lest you go apeshit.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ze Pollack posted:

Also, put off using white for as long as possible, lest you go apeshit.

Large expanses of white are really much harder to paint than you might think. It either ends up looking messy, or like you just skipped painting over the primer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
White is not really hard from a technical position, you simply need to keep it thin and realise that all your depth will come from shading. It's the additional time and care it takes to do because of the transparency of white that makes it a chore.

Of course, you can 'cheat' and use an off white highlighted with white to mitigate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Kevindanger posted:

Well, 300+ pages of silently drooling over your models and I did it. I went out and bought a box of little plastic dudes. I got the khador battlegroup box, and I got to say, these dudes looked about twice as big in my minds eye before I opened the box. I'm exponentially more impressed with this thread, and now have to figure out how to paint my own little dudes.

This was my realization too.

When I went to paint my first shredder I was like "Seriously? It's this small?!"

I could cover it with like two swipes of a broad brush!

he detail on really good models in this thread really loving amazes me.

• Locked thread