Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
you speak of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGjNJMmMZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it's got to the one where he bends over and continues to slip punches all the way to the floor.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No unfortunately that's not it fawker. It's a lot cleaner slipping the other guys fists never come near Tyson's face. From my recollection Tyson was to the right of the frame and he floors the guy with a left hook.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

KidDynamite posted:

No unfortunately that's not it fawker. It's a lot cleaner slipping the other guys fists never come near Tyson's face. From my recollection Tyson was to the right of the frame and he floors the guy with a left hook.

Maybe in this video? Not seeing what you described, but is is a "my defense is impregnable" montage. Good video either way.

32 seconds in maybe? Drops a guy with a left hook to the body.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Eat This Glob posted:

Maybe in this video? Not seeing what you described, but is is a "my defense is impregnable" montage. Good video either way.

32 seconds in maybe? Drops a guy with a left hook to the body.

I saw that yesterday, was going to post it, and then...didn't, obviously. Awesome video. I'm not a boxing fan and have never seen a Tyson fight, but I can see why he was so popular. He must have been a lot of fun to watch.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
all i remember was my dad being pissed for paying for a ppv where the main event happened in the time it took him to hit the bathroom and back

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
So, what are the major kinds of takedown?
I know about the double leg and the power double, but someone I know referred to the one GSP used against Hardy as something like a "Power Clutch" or something. The one where the inside arm goes between the legs
*Insert GSP gay joke there if you feel the need*

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

So, what are the major kinds of takedown?
I know about the double leg and the power double, but someone I know referred to the one GSP used against Hardy as something like a "Power Clutch" or something. The one where the inside arm goes between the legs
*Insert GSP gay joke there if you feel the need*

thats called a 'single leg' takedown, actually.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There was a brief summary of various takedowns floating around somewhere.
Found it

quote:

Wrestling Takedowns 101 thanks to awkward_turtle
some standard wrestling Moves. There are many more and many variations, but these are the most commonly used techniques.

Double Leg Takedown: A shooting take down in which the offensive wrestler bends his lead leg to change levels and penetrates under the opponent, capturing both legs at the knee and placing himself under the hips. To finish he will drive on the back leg and turn the opponent around his neck to take him to the mat. Countered with the sprawl.

Sprawl A defensive move used against double and occasionally single leg take downs, sprawling means dropping the hips and shooting the legs back and up. The defending wrestler uses this motion to clear his legs from an opponent's grip, and drive his hips down onto his opponent's head, stopping the forward motion of the shot.

High Single: A shooting take down either on it own, or off a failed double. The offensive wrestler takes control of the opponents lead leg above the knee and lifts it from the mat to his own chest. From here there are multiple finishes, with the most common being to “hike” the leg and turn to drop the opponent to the mat. There is also "running the pipe", where the wrestler drops his weight and turns, forcing his opponent to spiral into the mat.

High Crotch: A shooting takedown in which the wrestler penetrates under the opponent to gain control of one leg and the hips. Diverse finishes based on opponent reaction, including switching to the Double and taking the back. Notable because sprawling often does not help against a well executed high crotch and often actually adds to the amplitude of the throw.

Inside Trip: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler wraps his opponents leg from the inside and drives toward the trapped leg.

Headlock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler encircles the opponents neck and arm with his own arms, performs and cross step, pivots, and throws the opponent with his hips as a fulcrum.

Twisting Body Lock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler achieves superior control over the opponents body, locks his hands, and lifts him from the mat and to the side to take him down.

Arm Drag The offensive wrestler grips his opponent's wrist, then reachs with the other arm to control the opponent's upper arm, shoulder region. Then, the offensive wrestler, using his hips "drags" his opponent to him using this arm and wrist control. usually, arm drags are setups that lead to one of the other takedowns listed here. it is also used in bjj to begin numerous sweeps. This one is hard to explain in text, here is a link walking through the move: http://austinjiujitsu.com/tech/tech...2&name=Arm+Drag

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

OH WORD SON posted:

thats called a 'single leg' takedown, actually.

high crotch single, the "power clutch" refers to the hand position when doing this i think

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Someone should do one on all the greco and judo takedowns. Greco takedowns are awesome, and Judo ones have stupid names that I can never remember.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.themat.com/usawrestling.org/coaches.php?page=keen and http://judoinfo.com/new/techniques/index are both helpful.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Whoa that USA Wrestling site rules.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's weird to me that we label so many different regional sports from around the world as some form of "wrestling" but not the sport of judo. Call me crazy but when I watch it it looks a hell of a lot like wrestling with a slightly different ruleset and outfit. It's a 2-player game where the object is to throw your opponent down on a mat. Is there some major distinction I'm missing, or is it just a cultural thing? I mean, if that crazy turkish leather pants oil rubdown thing is called wrestling...

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's weird to me that we label so many different regional sports from around the world as some form of "wrestling" but not the sport of judo. Call me crazy but when I watch it it looks a hell of a lot like wrestling with a slightly different ruleset and outfit. It's a 2-player game where the object is to throw your opponent down on a mat. Is there some major distinction I'm missing, or is it just a cultural thing? I mean, if that crazy turkish leather pants oil rubdown thing is called wrestling...

You can't grab clothing in most of the forms of wrestling that are called "wrestling".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You could call Judo wrestling and not be "wrong", just incredibly imprecise. Judo has a very defined ruleset, uniform and culture that makes it a distinct style. It is also popular enough that you can say "judo" and people know what you mean.

On bizzaro earth where judo never took off you could call it "Japanese Folk Wrestling" because the name "judo" would mean as much to everyone as Khapsagay which is the name proper name for Mongolian Wrestling.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sumo wrestlers are allowed to grab eachothers clothing :)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
according to wikipedia you can win a match in the turkish national glistening man game by getting "an effective hold" on your opponent's leather shorts.

xguard's explanation makes a lot of sense to me, though.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
arm drags and the people that do them are cool

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

arm drags and the people that do them are cool

Agreed. Marcelo Garcia owns.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
marcelo garcia isn't good enough to step into a cage (roger is)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is there any particular reason why Middleweight in UFC seems to be such a wasteland? There rarely seem to be any up and comers. Also, Marquadt vs Okami was one of the very few middleweight fights to be a main event (excluding title fights, obviously) I thought it might be the presence of a dominant champion, but Welterweight's still stacked (and keeps getting more so) despite having someone roughly as dominant.

And on that, with Welterweight being as stacked as it is, what was the reasoning behind giving Jake Shields a shot? He had one not great win in the octagon, and he got the shot. Kim, Condit and others have all looked a fair bit better. None of them have that many victories, no one does at this point who GSP hasn't already beaten, and many have looked better than Shields. I was just wondering if there was some reasoning behind that.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Jake Shields got the shot because he's better at fighting than those guys. Middleweight has lots of good fighters like bisping, belcher, okami and notorious cantwell fighter brian stann

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thermos H Christ posted:

according to wikipedia you can win a match in the turkish national glistening man game by getting "an effective hold" on your opponent's leather shorts.

Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wqGwSfd_E

I feel like there's plenty of folk wrestling arts where the traditional clothing is specifically designed to be held. Glima's like that, off the top of my head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6yZf02Lcw

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Snowman_McK posted:

Is there any particular reason why Middleweight in UFC seems to be such a wasteland? There rarely seem to be any up and comers. Also, Marquadt vs Okami was one of the very few middleweight fights to be a main event (excluding title fights, obviously) I thought it might be the presence of a dominant champion, but Welterweight's still stacked (and keeps getting more so) despite having someone roughly as dominant.

No, literally none at all. It's not a wasteland, and there are plenty of good fighters there. They just dont always get noticed because no one has a long winning streak going (Anderson excluded), and a lot of good fighters aren't fighting because injuries or suspension. These things happen sometimes.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Meat Recital posted:

They just dont always get noticed because no one has a long winning streak going (Anderson excluded)

I think this is the main factor. Anderson beats everybody, while the rest of the pack is like rock-paper-scissors. It creates the illusion that the rest of the division is made of incompetents.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There also seem to be more WWs who cut a gently caress ton of weight than any other division so some MW fighters end up at 170. I don't know why this is, but it sure seems to be the case.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

No, literally none at all. It's not a wasteland, and there are plenty of good fighters there. They just dont always get noticed because no one has a long winning streak going (Anderson excluded), and a lot of good fighters aren't fighting because injuries or suspension. These things happen sometimes.

Yeah, I guess "relative wasteland" describes it better. There're still good fighters, but it isn't nearly as stacked as welter, light heavy or light. Or is it just that, with 5 years without a change in champion, it's getting increasingly hard to promote middleweight? So while it may be stacked, it's hard to promote it as such.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

There also seem to be more WWs who cut a gently caress ton of weight than any other division so some MW fighters end up at 170. I don't know why this is, but it sure seems to be the case.

If you're big enough to fight LH or HW you are too big to cut down to MW
but if you're small enough to make middle, you can probably diet/water cut down to 170.

Obviously there are a ton of exceptions, but it seems like generally fighters would rather suicide cut to WW than hang out at MW.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MW seems to be filled with guys who couldn't hack it at LHW - Stann, Munoz, Wandy ( :smith: ), probably others I'm missing right now.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
barbarian boetsch

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
MICHAEL BISPING

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Xguard86 posted:

If you're big enough to fight LH or HW you are too big to cut down to MW
but if you're small enough to make middle, you can probably diet/water cut down to 170.

Obviously there are a ton of exceptions, but it seems like generally fighters would rather suicide cut to WW than hang out at MW.

if it was a choice between fighting Anderson Silva or cutting to WW, I'd be laying off the cheeseburgers too

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
On the 12 to 6 elbow rule. If a fighter in a dominant position, like side control, strikes with the same motion as the illegal variety, but doesn't draw his arm "ceiling to floor", is it illegal?

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Ceiling to floor is the only illegal version.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

On the 12 to 6 elbow rule. If a fighter in a dominant position, like side control, strikes with the same motion as the illegal variety, but doesn't draw his arm "ceiling to floor", is it illegal?

There was a fight earlier this year where congo was throwing them horizontally into buentello's legs I think and Rogan pointed out how dumb the 12 to 6 rule was.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BlindSite posted:

There was a fight earlier this year where congo was throwing them horizontally into buentello's legs I think and Rogan pointed out how dumb the 12 to 6 rule was.

The one I remember is Anderson battering the top of Lutter's head with them and making him tap to strikes. Rogan had to have Randy explain to him why the ref wasn't calling a foul, and his response to the explanation was "oh, that's really stupid then."

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

The one I remember is Anderson battering the top of Lutter's head with them and making him tap to strikes. Rogan had to have Randy explain to him why the ref wasn't calling a foul, and his response to the explanation was "oh, that's really stupid then."

I was under the impression that anything goes when it comes to elbows from the bottom. My question was just about elbows from the top, but I guess the Congo fight answered that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

I was under the impression that anything goes when it comes to elbows from the bottom. My question was just about elbows from the top, but I guess the Congo fight answered that.
It's also possible to get warned/penalized for back-of-the-head strikes if you're spiking elbows from your guard and go past the "invisible headphones" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
I'm entirely disappointed that Dan Quinn isn't represented in the OP.

Rick Vardell vs Dan Quinn Gladiator Challenge Impulse 11/13/2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMmR2h8dbXI&feature=related

In the women's restroom at Starbucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgksX12cIOU&feature=relmfu

Dan Quinn, homeless and yelling at a man in a parking lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MeF4vtVqH0&feature=related