Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
just saw this on lifehacker today.

http://www.nemo-docs.com/index.html

still in beta, but could be amazing. it indexes your files in a calendar format and syncs with google docs + calendar. nothing super awesome yet, but i think it'll come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After using Ubuntu (and then Linux Mint) for a couple of months I've grown used to visible volume displays. Weirdly enough it was hard to find something that was nice to look at and worked well when I switched back to Win7.

In the end I ended up using 3RVX which looks pretty good and is skinnable.

If anyone has any better suggestions, I'd be very happy to hear them though.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

gmq posted:

After using Ubuntu (and then Linux Mint) for a couple of months I've grown used to visible volume displays. Weirdly enough it was hard to find something that was nice to look at and worked well when I switched back to Win7.

The tray icon does change, watch it ;)

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I need to wipe the hard drive for my laptop (Sony Vaio Z) before I sell it and basically just restore everything to factory settings. The thing is, it didn't come with a restore disc (well it did, but only an XP restore disc and the OS was Win7 when I got it). Is there any function in Win7 or Built-in Vaio software that would let me restore everything back to factory settings without losing all of the drivers for the various laptop components?

Edit: and for visible volume changing I'm sure there's a rainmeter skin that can display it as a horizontal bar and you can move rainmeter skins under the transparent win7 taskbar so it would always be visible.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 2, 2011

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Pertplus posted:

I need to wipe the hard drive for my laptop (Sony Vaio Z) before I sell it and basically just restore everything to factory settings. The thing is, it didn't come with a restore disc (well it did, but only an XP restore disc and the OS was Win7 when I got it). Is there any function in Win7 or Built-in Vaio software that would let me restore everything back to factory settings without losing all of the drivers for the various laptop components?

Edit: and for visible volume changing I'm sure there's a rainmeter skin that can display it as a horizontal bar and you can move rainmeter skins under the transparent win7 taskbar so it would always be visible.

The Windows installer can format your harddrive, but if you're paranoid, use DBAN (http://www.dban.org/)

Direct links from digitalriver..

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Download the correct version for the key on the bottom of your laptop.

Then just get the drivers yourself.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 2, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
But isn't he saying that his restore disc is XP but he wants to restore to 'clean' Win 7 after wiping the HD? If so I think he's a bit screwed.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

rolleyes posted:

But isn't he saying that his restore disc is XP but he wants to restore to 'clean' Win 7 after wiping the HD? If so I think he's a bit screwed.

I linked him to WIndows 7 ISOs. He should have a Windows 7 key on a sticker.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Pertplus posted:

You did not make it clear whether you bought this machine new or whether you have an OEM install of Win7. If it's OEM, go to "Start" > "Vaio Central". Click the "Support" tab, then "Recovery" this will do a factory reset. If this is a stock vanilla copy of Win7 (not OEM), it depends on whether you want to track down a copy of Windows 7 and any drivers & Sony proprietary stuff. You can use Magic Jellybean to backup your current product key and reuse it. Then download or borrow someone's Win7 media and reinstall, run Windows Update for three days and then manually track down & install any drivers it missed.

If you don't feel like going through all that, you can create another user account and then delete the current one. It won't be perfect or "like new", but it will remove your personal info.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

c0burn posted:

I linked him to WIndows 7 ISOs. He should have a Windows 7 key on a sticker.

My bad. :downs:

My only other concern would be whether Sony has a special licence a-la Dell which uses a non-standard key. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

rolleyes posted:

My bad. :downs:

My only other concern would be whether Sony has a special licence a-la Dell which uses a non-standard key. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

I thought that wasn't possible with Win 7 anymore? A key is a key is a key?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh. In that case: :downs::hf::downs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FISHMANPET posted:

It is possible. Some OEM keys won't activate on arbitrary hardware.

Of course there's also stuff like how Dell XP DVD install discs would work on any computer with a DVD drive, regardless of brand, with the built-in OEM key....

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

If it's OEM, go to "Start" > "Vaio Central". Click the "Support" tab, then "Recovery" this will do a factory reset.
Thanks, This worked

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Is message threading the feature you're looking for? Thunderbird does it natively, you know.

Yes, but it's insanely lovely. I'm looking for something more gmail-like

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is there anyway to tell server 2008r2 to turn on machines at a given time? Like wake all computers on lan at 2:00AM, I want to be able to run my Wsus and backups then, but not sure how.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gmq posted:

How does this interact with other volume OSDs? Like say with the logitech software?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How does this interact with other volume OSDs? Like say with the logitech software?

They overlap visually, but otherwise don't conflict. I just turned 3rvx off, because it was redundant and I need Setpoint for mah mouse buttons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My Win7 laptop is in for repairs, so my cousin let me borrow one of his with Vista. How the hell do I make this OS shut up about having UAC disabled?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Re-enable UAC?

Control Panel >Windows Security Center. On the left click where it says "Change the way security center alerts me" Select "Don’t notify me and don’t display the icon."

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

dpbjinc posted:

You can only activate Office on two computers, one of which has to be a portable device (though I doubt it checks that). If you're trying to transfer Office to a new computer, you'll have to call support and get them to activate it for you.

Late, but a correction: each personal copy is licensed for one desktop and two laptops. At least, this was the case with Office 2007 and prior, personally verified when MS issued me a new key after I activated a dozen times and locked my key while changing motherboards and laptops.

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there anyway to tell server 2008r2 to turn on machines at a given time? Like wake all computers on lan at 2:00AM, I want to be able to run my Wsus and backups then, but not sure how.

Instead of creating a basic task, use "Create task..." for the whole enchilada of options. Under the Conditions tab, you get a few options under the Power subsection. The one you want is "Wake the computer to run this task." Be sure to test it to see if it works.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

My Win7 laptop is in for repairs, so my cousin let me borrow one of his with Vista. How the hell do I make this OS shut up about having UAC disabled?

Turn UAC back on at the level where it doesn't dim the screen and tell him to deal with it if he complains about UAC being back on.

Factory Factory posted:

Late, but a correction: each personal copy is licensed for one desktop and two laptops. At least, this was the case with Office 2007 and prior, personally verified when MS issued me a new key after I activated a dozen times and locked my key while changing motherboards and laptops.

Not quite. Here's the deal, with Office 2007 and 2010 at least.

Starter (which gets included with some computers along with your McAffe trial and such): Has a license only for the one computer it came with

Home and Student: Has license for 3 computers. It doesn't matter what kind of computer they are, as long as they aren't being used for "business purposes" you can have it installed on any 3 computers at any one time and each copy may be used at the same time all of the other copies are being used.

Home and Business, Professional, Professional Academic: You may install on two computers, one "main" and one "portable" and they're supposed to be owned and used by the same person, and shouldn't be used at the same time.

Any volume licensed version instead of retail purchased Home and Student/Home and Business/Professional/Professional Academic: Can be installed on as many computers as you have licenses

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 3, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
woops forgot to edit

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WorkingStiff posted:

Control Panel >Windows Security Center. On the left click where it says "Change the way security center alerts me" Select "Don’t notify me and don’t display the icon."

Haha, this works I guess. Thanks! :v:

fishmech posted:

Turn UAC back on at the level where it doesn't dim the screen and tell him to deal with it if he complains about UAC being back on.

I'm not sure if you understood my question. I'm using one of his spare laptops that he let me borrow. I have UAC disabled, and Windows keeps saying "Hey, um, UAC is disabled and that's bad, so I'm going to whine about it until you re-enable it!"

There doesn't seem to be a way to customize its behavior in Vista. I only have the option of having it on or off.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure if you understood my question. I'm using one of his spare laptops that he let me borrow. I have UAC disabled, and Windows keeps saying "Hey, um, UAC is disabled and that's bad, so I'm going to whine about it until you re-enable it!"

So you turned it off? On purpose?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Toast Museum posted:

So you turned it off? On purpose?

Yes. And it's staying off until I can find some way to not make it bitch about every little change I make to the system. I've actually never used Vista before for any longer than a few minutes, so a lot of this is kind of new/annoying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Yes. And it's staying off until I can find some way to not make it bitch about every little change I make to the system. I've actually never used Vista before for any longer than a few minutes, so a lot of this is kind of new/annoying.

The only way to do that is to stop making a ton of little changes constantly and just get all that poo poo done at once!

Have you only used XP before this or something?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mak0rz posted:

You're going to get jumped in for this. Leave it on. UAC is the biggest reason Windows is as secure as it is today. Its only purpose isn't just to annoy you.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

fishmech posted:

Not quite. Here's the deal, with Office 2007 and 2010 at least.

Starter (which gets included with some computers along with your McAffe trial and such): Has a license only for the one computer it came with

Home and Student: Has license for 3 computers. It doesn't matter what kind of computer they are, as long as they aren't being used for "business purposes" you can have it installed on any 3 computers at any one time and each copy may be used at the same time all of the other copies are being used.

Home and Business, Professional, Professional Academic: You may install on two computers, one "main" and one "portable" and they're supposed to be owned and used by the same person, and shouldn't be used at the same time.

Any volume licensed version instead of retail purchased Home and Student/Home and Business/Professional/Professional Academic: Can be installed on as many computers as you have licenses

Criminy. Licensing is complex. For Office 2007 Enterprise (academic, student personal copy) it's 1+2 licensing like Home and Student with the express stipulation of one desktop and two portables.

Suddenly Apple licensing seems appealingly simple. One license per Mac, or with App store stuff, one license per account.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The only way to do that is to stop making a ton of little changes constantly and just get all that poo poo done at once!

Have you only used XP before this or something?

I jumped from XP to Windows 7. I've been using 7 for about a year and a half now.

Thermopyle posted:

You're going to get jumped in for this. Leave it on. UAC is the biggest reason Windows is as secure as it is today. Its only purpose isn't just to annoy you.

If you say so. I was still setting up this thing so it's probably a case of it making absolutely sure I wanted to make the primary changes that I did, but it seems to be far more sensitive in this OS than it is in Windows 7. Keep in mind that I know what I'm doing and installing. The Windows XP machine I had for several years never had any Spyware or virus scares because I'm, well, not a careless user. It never had UAC (and it was before MSE was released so I didn't have that backing me up either).

My parent's computer on the other hand has Windows 7 with UAC cranked and it's a mess every time I see it. :v:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Speaking of UAC, I have an APC UPS and the software they give you prompts every time it's started. the problem is that this gets run at startup, which can be annoying. Is there any way short of disabling UAC to make an exception for this program?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

Speaking of UAC, I have an APC UPS and the software they give you prompts every time it's started. the problem is that this gets run at startup, which can be annoying. Is there any way short of disabling UAC to make an exception for this program?

You can disable Powerchute from startup in msconfig - it doesn't disable the software, it just disables the tray icon. If you can track down the business version of the software, I think it will run as a service.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Or just set up a scheduled task to start at logon with highest privileges.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

Thats odd. Mine starts up with windows fine, I just get the UAC prompt I want to actually open it up and look at it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

You can disable Powerchute from startup in msconfig - it doesn't disable the software, it just disables the tray icon. If you can track down the business version of the software, I think it will run as a service.

Factor Mystic posted:

Or just set up a scheduled task to start at logon with highest privileges.

Thanks! I'll try this.

Edit: It works. Delete the APC program from the Startup folder and create a task to run on log on. After you create the task, open up its properties and make sure:

1) "Run with highest privileges" is checked. (Optional: Configure for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2)
2) Click the "Change User or Group..." to "Builtin\Users" which will eventually display as "Users"
3) Change the trigger to be "At log on of any user."
4) Clear all the checkboxes on the "Conditions" tab. (You want this to run if on battery power.)
5) On the "Settings" tab, check "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" and uncheck the "Stop the task if it runs longer than" options.

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 3, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's the benefit of having a KMS instead of just installing the VLK in a business?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

GreenNight posted:

What's the benefit of having a KMS instead of just installing the VLK in a business?

Well, XP-style volume licensing keys don't exist any more, for one.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just built my first PC!

Booted it up, installed Windows, typed in my product key, and got on my merry way.

Problem I've ran into:
The only ISO I had on my old computer was for 32-bit Windows 7, but I had a 64-bit Windows 7 key. Got it for free from school, but yea- now I have 32-bit installed, so I'm not using all of the RAM I just bought for this top of the line rig.

Is there an easy way to go about upgrading to 64-bit?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sab669 posted:

I just built my first PC!

Booted it up, installed Windows, typed in my product key, and got on my merry way.

Problem I've ran into:
The only ISO I had on my old computer was for 32-bit Windows 7, but I had a 64-bit Windows 7 key. Got it for free from school, but yea- now I have 32-bit installed, so I'm not using all of the RAM I just bought for this top of the line rig.

Is there an easy way to go about upgrading to 64-bit?

You'll have to reinstall the OS to change the processor architecture. Download an official 64-bit ISO of your edition here, burn it or put it on a flash drive, and go nuts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks for the link.

I was afraid I'd have to reformat / re-install... that's a pain in the rear end :(
Oh well, at least I found right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

As stated, they don't do VLKs anymore. They were replaced with MAKs. If you have more than 25 workstations, you can use a KMS, which is a shitton more convenient.