Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Exploding dremel cutoff discs are painful. I've learned to always hold it so that I'm never in the plane of rotation.

I've learned the same thing and I've got scars to prove it. I never turn on my cheap-rear end Dremel knockoff without putting on safety glasses first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Absolutely. I took a piece in the eyelid once. That's close enough for me!

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Are metal valve caps causing problems with these? I keep getting corrosion/failure of the threads on the valve on my Mazda5. The dealer just keeps replacing them under warranty.

We see this problem on Touaregs all the time and it's usually the result of a metal cap OR salt inclusion that weakens the valve stem and causes it to fail. We try to pack each valve stem with grease to help prevent the problem in the winter time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

D C posted:

Yeah I always I at least wear glasses, or a face shield when there's no way around getting hit.

A Dremel is one of the few things I actually wear safety glasses for. There's something with Dremel disc shards and material shavings that is apparently attracted directly to my face.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Dremel talk up in this muthafucka. I got a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand) Rotary tool a few years ago. I had no use for it at the time, but it was on sale for something like 50 or 75$ off so I figured why the gently caress not? It was something like a 150 piece kit and came with a fancy carrying case, right angle attachment the flex shaft etc, and works awesome. The only problem is the Medium and heavy duty cut off wheels, even with gentle use like to imitate things that explode. The super duty wheels work great like for cutting parking brake cables, but they don't last as long as I'd hope. The thing seems violently fast when I turn it on and its at the highest setting. The thing will actually twist in my hand. Between that and the explosive cut off wheels, I'd say that maybe it wants to kill me for not using it often enough.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Motronic posted:

HOSE MONKEY SPOTTED

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

The valve cores like to strip out on them as well if the caps have been left off. :argh:

I cannot even begin to express my displeasure with TPMS systems. I don't understand why they had to mandate such a useless waste of technology. I don't need it, I keep an analog one in my glove box. :colbert:

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Is this how they initiate volunteer fireman into the Pharaoh gang?

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Root Bear posted:

I don't understand why they had to mandate such a useless waste of technology. I don't need it, I keep an analog one in my glove box. :colbert:

So that the average car owner can have another warning light to ignore?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Root Bear posted:

The valve cores like to strip out on them as well if the caps have been left off. :argh:

I cannot even begin to express my displeasure with TPMS systems. I don't understand why they had to mandate such a useless waste of technology. I don't need it, I keep an analog one in my glove box. :colbert:

You might be amazed at how much business those tpms dash lights can bring into a shop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Marux posted:

So that the average car owner can have another warning light to ignore?

Every TPMS-equipped car one of my family members has owned has always had the TPMS light on. On the first car he insisted it was broken, but the next 2 cars have been the same way.

This is the same guy that drove 50,000 miles without an oil change though, and just tossed a quart of oil in when the oil light started flicking. :iiam:

I know we recently rented a U-Haul van (it was brand new with 2,500 miles, it hadn't been abused too much yet) and the TPMS light was on.. yet when I checked the tires, all were at the pressure recommended by the door sticker. I'll stick with the gauge I keep in my glove box, thanks.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Beast Pussy posted:

You might be amazed at how much business those tpms dash lights can bring into a shop.

Mostly loving old people that i'm amazed are still alive due to how annoying and stupid they are. Old people using new fangled technology is the reason i will someday snap and end up in prison.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

Mostly loving old people that i'm amazed are still alive due to how annoying and stupid they are. Old people using new fangled technology is the reason i will someday snap and end up in prison.

Or normal-aged people that say "hey find out why my tire light is on and make it go away." then you end up finding not only a nail in one tire but the rest are bald or cracking, they've got loose tie rods, an air filter made of dirt, no oil on the dipstick, both headlights out, metal on metal brakes and a rotted out valve stem that requires a new sensor to fix.

i like that idiot light.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

Or normal-aged people that say "hey find out why my tire light is on and make it go away." then you end up finding not only a nail in one tire but the rest are bald or cracking, they've got loose tie rods, an air filter made of dirt, no oil on the dipstick, both headlights out, metal on metal brakes and a rotted out valve stem that requires a new sensor to fix.

i like that idiot light.

Those TPMS systems are a ripoff! The light went on in my car and the shop wanted $1500 to fix it!!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Speaking of tire pressures...

Tire was apparently not properly seated on the rim.

And exploding tires...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNB-ZbNpfBA&t=74s

grover fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 3, 2011

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I don't have any pictures, but had a horrible mechanical failure on Tuesday.

I was driving to work in my Galaxie and right after I got onto the highway the rear U-Joint decided it didn't like its bearings and blew apart. The noise it made was very un-enjoyable. Very surprised that the drive shaft didn't either drop completely off or come windmilling up through the floor of my car.

After I got towed home I found the damage was barely anything, looks like the 2 bearing caps that hold the U-Joint onto the rear yoke just disappeared, the clamps that should have been holding it on were still attached. Scraped up my mufflers a little bit but no real mess, installed a new U-Joint and was good to go.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

Is this a problem with the TPMS modules or could it happen to any valve stem with a metal cap? Are the TPMS ones made of some particularly corrosion-prone metal?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

This WAS a Ford 9-inch.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Speaking of TPMS, one of the workarounds I've seen out there is to pull all 4 sensors and put them into a pressurised PVC pipe and chuck that in the trunk.
e: there we go: link

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 3, 2011

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
That's why I like the TPMS implementation in my Mini. It goes by differential wheel speed so there are no sensors, it's just interpreting the ABS feedback signals. Works fine as long as one tire is low. If they're all low because of PV=NRT, it doesn't pick that up.

No pic, but I had the chromed alloy rims on our Chrysler start leaking because they corroded all around the valve stem hole. Plus there was rot underneath the chrome coating so the wheels were getting porous and wouldn't seal the bead anymore. Should have had some steelies for winter but I was a lot dumber then.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sandoz posted:

This WAS a Ford 9-inch.

I thought that Ford 9 inch axles were regarded as rather weak for their size, due to being out of production for a long time and their metallurgy just being poor. Oh well, time to build an 8.8 for your jeep, right?

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Every TPMS-equipped car one of my family members has owned has always had the TPMS light on. On the first car he insisted it was broken, but the next 2 cars have been the same way.

This is the same guy that drove 50,000 miles without an oil change though, and just tossed a quart of oil in when the oil light started flicking. :iiam:

I know we recently rented a U-Haul van (it was brand new with 2,500 miles, it hadn't been abused too much yet) and the TPMS light was on.. yet when I checked the tires, all were at the pressure recommended by the door sticker. I'll stick with the gauge I keep in my glove box, thanks.

The problem with most TPMS is two things:
1. You need to reset it when all the tires are at the correct COLD inflation pressure.
2. Everyone checks their pressure when the tires are warm, which inflates the tire an extra 5-7 PSI. When the tires cool off, and the car is turned on.. they are below the spec and trip the TPMS.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

grover posted:

Speaking of tire pressures...

Tire was apparently not properly seated on the rim.

And exploding tires...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNB-ZbNpfBA&t=74s

Looks more like he put a tube for a much larger diameter wheel in there. If it were properly sized it wouldn't have gone all roadkill bloated intestines at high noon like it did...

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Ola posted:

Those TPMS systems are a ripoff! The light went on in my car and the shop wanted $1500 to fix it!!

I guess i should start taking advantage of my customers also. If it's dumb TPMS with just a light i check the pressure in all the tires to find the low one, inspect it for damage, patch/plug the hole, and send the customer out ten dollars poorer. I think i'm doing it wrong.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Toucan Sam posted:

Chrysler is the worst, they actually come new with metal caps. The caps practically weld themselves on until they corrode through or someone breaks it trying to unscrew it. I keep so many Chrysler TPMS sensors on hand just because of that. The early Fords did that also but since they use the band sensors now it is so much nicer. Band sensors should be the only sensor used.

Ford is switching to valve stem sensors from the band sensors, it's retarded. The bands have the undeniable advantage of not making your tires go flat when they fail.

Horrible tech failure: our bodyshop was fixing a wreck and one of the sensor bands was broken. Instead of replacing it they wound a lot of painter's tape around the wheel and sensor. Surprise surprise the customer comes back the next day because their tire is making noise, it's the sensor and a wad of blue tape thumping around inside!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Toucan Sam posted:

I guess i should start taking advantage of my customers also. If it's dumb TPMS with just a light i check the pressure in all the tires to find the low one, inspect it for damage, patch/plug the hole, and send the customer out ten dollars poorer. I think i'm doing it wrong.

Morals /ethics are terrible things for business.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Toucan Sam posted:

Just say "Anything with a TPMS has a $25 technology-competence fee on top of the standard rate..." Even if it is a 4 sensors one light system...

They could at least make the light flash out a code. There's only 4 possible options. Solid, Slow, Fast, and Short/Long would do it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mr.Peabody posted:

The problem with most TPMS is two things:
1. You need to reset it when all the tires are at the correct COLD inflation pressure.
2. Everyone checks their pressure when the tires are warm, which inflates the tire an extra 5-7 PSI. When the tires cool off, and the car is turned on.. they are below the spec and trip the TPMS.

Every owner's manual I've ever seen says to check and set your tire pressure while the tires are warm, so it seems obvious that TPMS should be reset when the tires are warm.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I think you have misread. You need to check tires before you've driven a mile or after the tires have sat in the shade for an hour.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So just how much lead do you have to throw on a tyre to balance it if you have that hunk of crap stuck in one spot? I'm used to 100+ grams to balance 4wd tyres, but they would have to weigh a bit on their own?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

its one thing to point out what could use some work on a car while also fixing the main problem. its another thing to take advantage of somebody who doesnt know enough to check their own tire pressure and scare them into fixing everything. most people ive come across are smart enough to make their own safety and financial decisions when things are explained to them.

Ferremit posted:

So just how much lead do you have to throw on a tyre to balance it if you have that hunk of crap stuck in one spot? I'm used to 100+ grams to balance 4wd tyres, but they would have to weigh a bit on their own?
i had to put half a pound of weights on a wheel today to zero it out even after remounting the tire and spinning it up several times to make sure the machine wasn't hosed up. rim was fine too, dunno what was up with that.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 4, 2011

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Jesus Christ, do you not have a shift button?

Beast Pussy posted:

i had to put half a pound of weights on a wheel today to zero it out even after remounting the tire and spinning it up several times to make sure the machine wasn't hosed up. rim was fine too, dunno what was up with that.

Did you turn the tire 180 to make sure you didn't accidentally mount the tire on the wheels high spot? If it was me i would turn the tire to try to drop the weight. If that didn't work and it was my tire i would put a different tire on it and let the manufacturer eat the cost of a defective tire. I regularly put on retreads that balance out at less than 4oz's so there is no reason to let a car roll out the door with that much weight.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Toucan Sam posted:

Did you turn the tire 180 to make sure you didn't accidentally mount the tire on the wheels high spot? If it was me i would turn the tire to try to drop the weight. If that didn't work and it was my tire i would put a different tire on it and let the manufacturer eat the cost of a defective tire. I regularly put on retreads that balance out at less than 4oz's so there is no reason to let a car roll out the door with that much weight.

yeah i turned it when i remounted it and it got better but all the wheels except one were terrible. all the tires had different DOT batch numbers so it wasn't a single bad run of them causing the problem. we showed the customer and explained it to him and he said he didnt care, just to balance them as best we could so he could leave. two others needed 3+ oz and one only needed 1.5 total so we put that on the LF and the bad one on the RR.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Beast Pussy posted:

yeah i turned it when i remounted it and it got better but all the wheels except one were terrible. all the tires had different DOT batch numbers so it wasn't a single bad run of them causing the problem. we showed the customer and explained it to him and he said he didnt care, just to balance them as best we could so he could leave. two others needed 3+ oz and one only needed 1.5 total so we put that on the LF and the bad one on the RR.

Your lack of a poo poo, I mean shift, key has to be a failure of some means.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

InterceptorV8 posted:

Your lack of a poo poo, I mean shift, key has to be a failure of some means.

i spilled a drink on the keyboard yesterday and can't find my backup keyboard, sorry.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

i spilled a drink on the keyboard yesterday and can't find my backup keyboard, sorry.

At least just say you suck at posting instead of bullshitting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

Someone posted something really funny huh? That person probably owes you a new one.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Ola posted:

Someone posted something really funny huh? That person probably owes you a new one.

I'm pretty sure "spilled a drink" is a euphemism for "masturbated all over"

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

I have a great corded Dremel for 10+ years and one day it just refused to turn on anymore. I took it apart and everything seemed ok, I even bypassed the on/off/speed switch but that failed too.

In a serious pinch I bought a $10 rotary tool from Harbor Freight. It was a mistake. It doesn't have enough speed to cut anything, even balsa wood, and has so little torque I can stop the disc rotating at full speed by just pinching it with my fingers. Huge mistake, but a cheap one.

For christmas I got the Lithium-battery Dremel and it's been really great. I wish I had a second battery sometimes, but that's rare. At least the Harbor Freight one came with a shitton of cutoff discs that work just fine on the real tool.

While I would love a cordless unit, my $30 dremel-type-thing is a Craftsman model. Love it.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Lowclock posted:

At least just say you suck at posting instead of bullshitting.

Found it. Thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Peabody posted:

I'm pretty sure "spilled a drink" is a euphemism for "masturbated all over"

He was using a Dremel.