Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Haledjian posted:

Royce is damaged goods? I mean he clearly can't do anything other than the lyrical miracle poo poo he's been doing his whole career but he's drat good at it and I don't remember anyone thinking he's been getting worse lately.

Although his beats have been pretty bad last couple years (Black Milk notwithstanding)

Yeah I agree with this. I liked most of Street Hop, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Royce's only really average album is Independent's Day. That had some questionable tracks on it and seemed like he was trying really hard to break into the mainstream.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Well, Hell- The Sequel just leaked, and each song is pretty different, in fact the whole thing seems pretty disjointed. But Eminem, particularly on the first track, is killing so I don't mind to much.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Rooster posted:

Well, Hell- The Sequel just leaked, and each song is pretty different, in fact the whole thing seems pretty disjointed. But Eminem, particularly on the first track, is killing so I don't mind to much.

I thought Fastlane was pretty great -- but yeah that first song is crazy good. Rest of it is all over the place.

:11tea:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Haledjian posted:

Royce is damaged goods? I mean he clearly can't do anything other than the lyrical miracle poo poo he's been doing his whole career but he's drat good at it and I don't remember anyone thinking he's been getting worse lately.

Although his beats have been pretty bad last couple years (Black Milk notwithstanding)

Damaged goods from a sales/label perspective.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
im not gonna say much about bad meets evil cause ive got mixed feelings but i gotta admit i chuckled a little during Reunion

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
I'm disappointed this isn't an awesome record. that bruno mars joint is whack as fuckkkk

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

juicy_J posted:

I'm disappointed this isn't an awesome record. that bruno mars joint is whack as fuckkkk

i dont expect em (or royce really) to ever make an awesome record again, i'm cool with just being impressed enough to make that gorilla gas face a couple times, which happened so i guess all is well.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Hey Mystikal is back

http://youtu.be/5gKE67L97SA?t=10m10s

...oh

(skip to 10:10 in, the timestamp wasn't working for me)

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to find a song. it samples 50 "many men" and the hook is "death gotta be easy cuz life is hard" from the very song. I can't remember who does it but maybe someone can help me.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

juicy_J posted:

Seriously what the gently caress were they thinking putting bruno mars on "Bad Meets Evil"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Morphix posted:

Hey Mystikal is back

...oh

Mc Hammer? E-40? Vanilla Ice?
Some of these guys will never be heard from again.

powerful drum sound
Mar 18, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

Mc Hammer? E-40? Vanilla Ice?
Some of these guys will never be heard from again.

Errr....

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Morphix posted:

Hey Mystikal is back

...oh

Ice Cube, E-40, Mystikal, Xzibit, Busta, DJ Quik, George Clinton...and inflatable bouncing houses!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

powerful drum sound posted:

Errr....

"Few MCs release as many consistently great rap songs as E-40."
Sorry....I haven't heard a song from dude in a billion years.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

caveman thug poo poo posted:

i dont expect em (or royce really) to ever make an awesome record again, i'm cool with just being impressed enough to make that gorilla gas face a couple times, which happened so i guess all is well.

bad meets evil should have just been a benzino diss album then it would have been awesome

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

Dead Snoopy posted:

"Few MCs release as many consistently great rap songs as E-40."
Sorry....I haven't heard a song from dude in a billion years.

then that's on you for not checking for independent artists because seriously 40 is top five all time as far as rapping ability and probably number one as far as consistency over a career as long as his.

like we've said in this thread, he's put out 4 discs of Revenue Retrievin in the past two years, each of which has about 20 tracks with no filler. No one else is touching that

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jock Mocken posted:

40 is top five all time as far as rapping ability and probably number one as far as consistency over a career as long as his.

Uhh what? Is this a commonly held opinion?

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.
do you guys really not like the new BME? i think it's great. both of em' are on point for sure. 'welcome to hell' kills it in the whip.

fake edit: 'a kiss' is fuckin' awesome too

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

warzero. posted:

do you guys really not like the new BME? i think it's great. both of em' are on point for sure. 'welcome to hell' kills it in the whip.

fake edit: 'a kiss' is fuckin' awesome too

i like it, im just kinda sad that i only 'like' it

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

Jock Mocken posted:

then that's on you for not checking for independent artists because seriously 40 is top five all time as far as rapping ability and probably number one as far as consistency over a career as long as his.

like we've said in this thread, he's put out 4 discs of Revenue Retrievin in the past two years, each of which has about 20 tracks with no filler. No one else is touching that

e40 is maybe bay area top five all time... you gotta be goin dumb to think hes top five humans of all time from any area

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Chade Johnson posted:

Uhh what? Is this a commonly held opinion?
I wouldn't go that far but he's obviously killing it right now.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Canibus is better than E-40 but E-40 is way more consistent.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?

caveman thug poo poo posted:

i like it, im just kinda sad that i only 'like' it

This is pretty much my reaction to it. The hooks were mostly garbage and Em's verses sounded the same at times. It's a dope EP but I expected so much more from it, I think more Slaughterhouse features woulda helped v:shobon:v

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

I guess what I meant was maybe more that nobody else can rap like E-40 (in a good way)? He can take on the weirdest beats and sound dope over em, and does a whole bunch of tongue twister lines and using his voice as an instrument without going all 'lyrical miracle' and poo poo. I am serious about consistency though; I think only maybe Too $hort has hung around longer and stayed relevant--what's in the water in the Bay?

e: relevant because of rapping, not because of an acting career or reality show

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 5, 2011

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/06/05/royce-da-5-9-second-place-prod-dj-premier/ Speaking of Royce, I'm a fan of this. No doubt Success is Certain is just going to be more beats and punchlines but I really don't mind that.

Is there a reason Eminem has never rhymed to a Premo beat?

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

i just started actively listening to 3 6 mafia. i've only heard them at parties and friends' cars and always liked what i heard but just never bothered to listen to them when i'm not getting hosed up or whatever. the only album that i have from them that i just got (that i really love) is underground vol. 1 1991-1994, i'm really into raw poo poo like this. i know they have a huge amount of mixtapes and albums so is there any others that are similarly raw? thanks yall

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Leathal posted:

Ice Cube, E-40, Mystikal, Xzibit, Busta, DJ Quik, George Clinton...and inflatable bouncing houses!

I mean, the concert would be pretty cool if it wasn't for all the fantasy death bullshit.

Kind of surprised that ICP fans wanted these guys at their venue/show. Or maybe just the promoters trying to make the festival more mainstream since ICP can't sustain Phish/grateful dead style concert numbers alone.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

K-Flow posted:

i just started actively listening to 3 6 mafia. i've only heard them at parties and friends' cars and always liked what i heard but just never bothered to listen to them when i'm not getting hosed up or whatever. the only album that i have from them that i just got (that i really love) is underground vol. 1 1991-1994, i'm really into raw poo poo like this. i know they have a huge amount of mixtapes and albums so is there any others that are similarly raw? thanks yall

The three Underground albums are compilations of poo poo culled from their HUGE amount of tape releases from the 90s. IF you like those just go for the DJ Paul and Juicy J tapes. DJ Paul's vol. 16 (the 1994 original, not the rerecorded version), Juicy J's Vol. 12 are both good, though I prefer the one off tapes by the other guys who fell off the map when triple 6 made it big. Look for Lil Glock & SOG, Lil Fly, Lil Gin, Lil Jule, Lil Noid, Koopsta knicca, Kingpin Skinny Pimp, The Gimisum Family, Darkside Klick, MC Mack and tons of others. My favorite 3 6 album is Smoked Out Locced out, which is raw as hell and has some funky rear end samples.

There were also two other DJ's who supposedly invented that sound and Juicy and Paul bit them. I don't know how true that is, but those two dudes are DJ Sound and DJ Squeeky, who both have a bunch of tapes and related rappers, but they are a lot harder to find and I don't really know much about them. What I have heard though was great. DJ Sound's Long Awaited Vol. 10 and DJ Squeeky's Vol. 9 both get my approval.

If you do enough Googling you can find even more obscure stuff, like the Truma Center Killaz. I found th is forum once and found TONS of cool poo poo on it, it says its down for now but it may be up later http://forums.horrorcore.com/showthread.php?s=e8b43c8759f30d48ac22a78d1648758f&t=89618

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Morphix posted:

I mean, the concert would be pretty cool if it wasn't for all the fantasy death bullshit.

Kind of surprised that ICP fans wanted these guys at their venue/show. Or maybe just the promoters trying to make the festival more mainstream since ICP can't sustain Phish/grateful dead style concert numbers alone.

I'd hazard a guess that most Juggalos are bigger rap fans than a lot of people posting itt :ssh:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
fuckin Chapter 1: The End, and Chapter II: World Domination were MY SHITS back in the day we used to ride around in my lincoln with a pound of weed and feel like Scarface in that bitch, cuttin peoples faces off with chainsaws, sittin in the car with the a/c on for two hours waiting for the pill dealer to show the gently caress up already

those 2 albums and Tear Da Club Up Thugs are all the 3 6 i'll ever need

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

I like mid-period Triple 6/HCP myself. When The Smoke Clears, Ghetty Green, the Choices soundtrack (Slang n Serve is the joint), the first Lil Wyte album, Da Headbussaz project with Fiend, CrazyNDaLazDayz, all that poo poo

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I didn't like the songs that leaked from bad meets evil that much (not sure which is worse, Lighters or Loud Noises) but the songs that didn't are surprisingly good. Like someone else said, nothing super duper mindblowing but good. I don't think the Bruno Mars joint is going to blow up like they want it to, it simply leaks corniness.

additional opinion edit:
"Welcome 2 Hell" and "The Reunion" are both good and Fast Lane is the kind of song I wish would take over the radio but then I realize the general public doesn't like music like that.

On a non-BME note, the new kendrick lamar song is too sick.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 6, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

K-Flow posted:

Koopsta Knicca-Devils Playground
Prophet Posse-Body Parts
Mystic Stylez
King Pin Skinny Pimp-King of Da Playaz Ball
Da Unbreakables
A New Nightmare
When the Smoke Clears

Along with the other stuff mentioned. Check out J-Green if you like that old sound. He sounds like them without being a straight rip off. Codeine Dream Vol 1/2/3 is the way to go. Also check out Lil Loco-Yella Tape Tha Murder Scene, for one of the better recent releases. T-Rock is my favorite ex-Three 6 Fam members, his newer stuff is kind of wack though.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
And let's not forget about Playa Fly. If you like the old school horrorcore Memphis sound check out his first release, Out Da Darkness Of Da Kut. I personally like Fly poo poo, Movin' On and Just Gettin' It On a lot more. The production on those albums is insane and Fly is a very strong mc too.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I mentioned him several pages back but if you want raw Memphis poo poo definitely check out Evil Pimp. He's heavy on the Three 6 samples and is the closest thing out there to the older Memphis sound, in my opinion.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

K-Flow posted:

farmtrill got me listening to them a bit. mystic stylez is the other 3 six album i think has that same sound, but ymmv.

if you dig that style check out spaceghostpurrp, dude's like a modern interpretation of that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuRv5azW88

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

alansmithee posted:

if you dig that style check out spaceghostpurrp, dude's like a modern interpretation of that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuRv5azW88

drat, i'm liking what I hear outta this dude so far.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

drat, i'm liking what I hear outta this dude so far.

Yeah, that mixtape is pretty nice, I'd def recommend it.

And also I'll be checking out a lot of that other stuff people posted, listened to a couple songs already and it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I'm going to Curren$y tomorrow. Can't wait. SPITTA

• Locked thread