Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

JD Brickmeister posted:

He was using a Dremel.
I knew they had a wide variety of attachments, but drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

grover posted:

Speaking of tire pressures...

Tire was apparently not properly seated on the rim.

And exploding tires...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNB-ZbNpfBA&t=74s

Ha, I also had that happen to me:

Luckily I wasn't riding very fast when it happened, so it didn't cause anything more than a laugh and an amazing "Sppppppplurt" sound when it went off.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

JD Brickmeister posted:

He was using a Dremel.

To masturbate?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hillridge posted:

Luckily I wasn't riding very fast when it happened, so it didn't cause anything more than a laugh and an amazing "Sppppppplurt" sound when it went off.

How does that happen? It looks like a balloon animal got stuck in your spokes.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Godholio posted:

Looks like the tire bead ripped loose.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I tried to inflate a bicycle tube to failure once; unconstrained by the tire, it's just a rubber balloon, and was probably 8" thick before springing a leak. I couldn't get it to actually pop.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Godholio posted:

The bead wasn't quite seated properly when the tire was re-installed after a wheel truing. 9/10 times it pops into place on its own, this was 1/10.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hillridge posted:

Your picture reminded me of something that happened 35 years ago. When I was 12, I got my first 10 speed (aaaaages ago...note "ten speed", not 15, 21, 18, 17, etc...) but my folks absolutely required that I put fenders on it. At that time, no 10 speeds had fenders. I would suppose that someone's did, but they were from another planet. So anyway I had a really cool bike, a Peugeot that was really light, it totally kicked rear end, I had watched "Breaking Away" which was just released, and I was like the guy on that movie who had the really interesting foreign 10 speed that was awesome that I had spent my own money to buy, bought it used so I got a much nicer bike than I would have gotten if I bought it new, and everything was great in my life except that my really cool bike had god-damned fenders on it. And not the cool little ten-inch fenders that stop the rain from going up your back, but the big fenders that wrapped all the way around the wheel, and you could (and probably did, now that I think about it) put a reflector on it. I guess I technically have to add at this point that I was teased mercilessly about the existence of these fenders on my bike, although anyone with an ounce of sense would already realize that.

So it's the middle of summer, and the girl that I had the hugest crush on is at our baseball games, which are played in the infield of a track. So of course, everyone races their bikes around the track while waiting for their games, afterwards, etc. Part of me wants to believe that someone actually did this to me, because it's just too amazing to be accidental. But you'd have to be a pretty bright 12 year-old evil nemesis to come up with this plan to gently caress me up like what occurred, so it probably was an accident. But then if it was accidental, that implies that the world is fundamentally aligned against me because it was just too perfect in timing and execution NOT to occur by design.

Anyway, I am flying past the girls and guys on my awesome bicycle with the huge-rear end fenders and all of a sudden my back wheel just locks up. I barely manage not to wipe out, but I can't figure for the life of me what has happened. They are all laughing at me as I am looking at the chain, the derailleur, the sprockets, the wheel, trying to figure out what the gently caress has happened to my bike. I fiddle with the chain, adjust the derailleur to pull the chain off, the wheel still won't spin. I look at the brake, it's open, people are still laughing. Wait - what's that by the brake? FINALLY I notice this big shiny mess folded up perfectly under the seat. It's the fender, all folded over itself and jammed up against the brake and wedged between the wheel and the frame.

Imagine one of those "cool" little ten inch fenders, except it's been made from a really big fender that's been folded over a couple times and angled up so it almost touches the bike seat and jammed in against the wheel and the bike frame. That's what it looked like. I'm like "what the gently caress?" So I do a little investigation and apparently a stick (good sized, like 3/4 inch maybe) got into my spokes, then hit the brackets holding the fenders and just folded those fenders up until they couldn't go any further. Amazingly, the spokes didn't break.

The laughter subsided, perhaps someone came over to see what the deal was, I don't remember. I removed the fender right there (I had a little tool kit under my seat - I was a bike mechnanic of course) and don't remember if I brought it home or not - I do remember my Dad being somewhat dubious about the whole "stick in the spokes" thing, like how could that happen? I had no idea, again it seems just too coincidental, because of course everyone is out to get your typical teen/pre-teenage boy. :iiam: But he didn't make me get a replacement fender, and after awhile, the fender on the front of the bike disappeared too.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane. Obviously I have work to do, so I did this instead...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Why were your folks so hardcore about fenders?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That reminds me of my fender incident with this old Honda scooter I had. I was driving somewhere at night and I started hearing a buzzing noise in the front. I was close to my destination so I was gonna see what it was when I got there. Not 2 seconds after I had that thought the front tire locked up and I went flying. Turns out the fender was working its way forward and that made the bolts holding it on rub on the tire until it caught and stopped it dead. I face planted on the sidewalk.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

:iiam:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
So did your crush get all randy when she saw you turning that wrench on your bike or what?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Parents have little to no understanding of what is currently Down With The Kids. My current commuter bike is the first bike I've run full mudguards on, and I appreciate having them, but no way would I have set it up like that when I was a teenager.

Saying that, idiot kids when I was at school took the piss if you wore a helmet. Usual response was "I've pulled 45mph on an MTB before, and if you hit something without a helmet, you're hosed".

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, my response to helmet teasing in school was "well, I wear one on the dirtbike too :colbert:"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JD Brickmeister posted:

He was using a Dremel.

I'm not entirely sure sounding is supposed to be done like that.

E: well hello new page

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cloudstrife2993 posted:

Yeah, my response to helmet teasing in school was "well, I wear one on the dirtbike too :colbert:"

mine was to show them the picture of my hosed up scar on my knee, along with me holding a broken in half helmet in my hands.

Helmet saved my life. :colbert:

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

InitialDave posted:

Parents have little to no understanding of what is currently Down With The Kids.

My daughter sends about 6 million texts a day - it is exceptionally exasperating when she needs a ride or something and I have to wait there while she texts back and forth to her friend about the details - something that could be handled in literally 30 seconds with a phone call ends up taking 5 minutes. So I get mad, complain to my wife, she tells me "That's the way kids do it these days" like that is supposed to explain any god-damned thing.

Then she wants to have a bike, but not put any FENDERS on it!!!! And it rains here like twice a week sometimes, I mean she's going to get her clothes all dirty arghle barglsgfg asieghnalswttt....

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

JD Brickmeister posted:

My daughter sends about 6 million texts a day - it is exceptionally exasperating when she needs a ride or something and I have to wait there while she texts back and forth to her friend about the details - something that could be handled in literally 30 seconds with a phone call ends up taking 5 minutes. So I get mad, complain to my wife, she tells me "That's the way kids do it these days" like that is supposed to explain any god-damned thing.

Texting is probably faster than calling each friend individually, unless your daughter has a phone with no keyboard.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ApathyGifted posted:

Texting is probably faster than calling each friend individually, unless your daughter has a phone with no keyboard.

No, I'm talking about one friend - I'm not a complete moron, despite the fact that I am both a parent and a member of SA.

Edit: And no, the friend wasn't in a place where she couldn't talk, nor was my daughter. And both do not have colds so they couldn't physically talk. And just to cover all the loving bases, there was no possible hypothetical situation where it would actually make sense to text instead of talk.

JD Brickmeister fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 6, 2011

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ApathyGifted posted:

"If I have to sit on conference calls all day to put a roof over your head you're going to use them too."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sandoz posted:

This WAS a Ford 9-inch.

I did something similar once. I knocked the carrier caps off of the Moser 9" in my Camaro.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I'm not entirely sure sounding is supposed to be done like that.

:flaccid: + 10,000 RPM Dremel = :negative:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
here's something interesting, final drive on a TSX:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

here's something interesting, final drive on a TSX:

Wheel hop while dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
More of a failure on the part of the driver, but still spectacular.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

mutt2jeff posted:

Hell yes, they wore all the way through. I've seen pictures of pads all but fused to rotors, but that just rules.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

mutt2jeff posted:

That is a thing of beauty right there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mutt2jeff posted:

"B-b-b-but it's maintenance-free!"

Reminds me of when I was pumping gas for a summer job in 1983, working at a full-service gas station in PA.

Relatively new, very clean '79 Mercury Monarch pulls in for gas.

Funny. I don't remember Ford making a diesel...I know GM's mucking around with one...

I ask her if she wants oil. She says, no, just fill it up. I have her pop the hood to check the oil anyways (good old days of full-serve). Yup; spark plugs. She had to be seriously low on oil to be grinding away like she was.

Sure enough, the dipstick comes up dry. There's 39K on the odometer. I ask her when she had her last oil change.

"Oh, this car doesn't require oil changes, ever! It's maintenance-free!" *Looks under hood at blue Motorcraft sealed battery with MAINTENANCE-FREE in screaming letters*

"Um, no. See,. you have to change the oil on any car, at most, every 5000-miles, 3000 if you drive hard, etc." I finally convince her with the bone-dry dipstick that she needs oil. It took nearly five quarts. Christ.

She starts it up; it quiets down a little (from Cummings to sewing machine full of sand) and then immediately starts smoking oil out the tailpipe. She drives off into oblivion.

VV that finally occurred to me about seven years later, when I was a casualty insurance adjuster, and I investigated a similar claim at a service station we insured. You're absolutely right. Nowadays, I wouldn't even have touched the car.

mini-derail: I live in NJ, where full-serve is the law. When I get my 66 Pontiac filled, the attendant usually lets me do it myself, partly because they can't find the fill neck (behind the license plate) but mostly because they're afraid of damaging it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 10, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

it quiets down a little (from Cummings to sewing machine full of sand) and then immediately starts smoking oil out the tailpipe.

So you broke her car. Got it.

Good thing this wasn't recently or you would have gotten sued.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Motronic posted:

So you broke her car. Got it.

Good thing this wasn't recently or you would have gotten sued.

The car was already toast, the oil rings were probably gone, hence the immediate smoking. Don't get your panties in a wad.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

PainterofCrap posted:

In the early 90's I worked at a Firestone and this guy brought in a Civic that "sounded funny". Nothing on the dipstick, when the tech pulled the drain plug a few drops of what looked like roofing tar oozed out. When asked about his last oil change the guy said "oil change? I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable!" He went 60k on the original oil, we sent him to the dealer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

The car was already toast, the oil rings were probably gone, hence the immediate smoking. Don't get your panties in a wad.
It wasn't smoking before he put his horrible bad juju fluid in it, and it started immediately afterwards, it's obvious he is at fault, and as my client, I'll ensure that his employers pay for you to get a new engine, if not a new car.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

PainterofCrap posted:

:negative:

That poor engine. I'm surprised she didn't suspect something up when her engine started sounding that bad. Maybe she thought it was just being broken in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

Someone has a broken sarcasm detector.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Landerig posted:

:negative:

That poor engine. I'm surprised she didn't suspect something up when her engine started sounding that bad. Maybe she thought it was just being broken in.

My folks have two cars, a 99 lumina fleet that hasn't had an oil change in 20,000 miles because "I don't have the time" aswell as front brakes that have completely failed leaving the rear drums to reel in the car when its clanking its way down the highway at 60mph. The other is a 97 Sable Station wagon I gave them that has been ignored to the point now that its spun a bearing(s) but is still being driven.

The truth is that most people out there don't care at all and act extremely upset that they have to pay for upkeep/repair on a complicated piece of machinery. And when the extremely neglected machine fails, they scream and cry about everything being unfair.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Motronic posted:

That poo poo happens. I refuse to work on family computers because I always get blamed for any and all future problems.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Motronic posted:

You were right though, if speaking from the perspective of her lawyer. As PainterofCrap says in his edit, he wouldn't have touched it now and rightly so in the judicial climate of today. PainterofCrap wouldn't have lost the case, but the hassle is enough. If you're ever annoyed at the amount of disclaimers, warnings and other bullshit you come across in a car manual, remember that it's made for people like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ola posted:

You were right though, if speaking from the perspective of her lawyer.

Glad you have demonstrated your through understanding of the sarcasm in my post.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Glad you have demonstrated your through understanding of the sarcasm in my post.

Someone has a broken panty unbuncher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Someone has a broken panty unbuncher.

Touché.