Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

!amicable posted:

The Witcher 2 will ease those feelings of predictability. And it's actually challenging.

Yes, everybody needs to play The Witcher 2, an actual good RPG with grey choices and a shitload of customization, plus challenge, exploration, tons of sidequests, interesting characters, and some actually fun combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone know any good RPG's for netbooks? Specifically a Asus 1000he.
Someone mentioned that Torchlight could be played on it, any other suggestions? Btw I'm talking about new games, it can play fallout and Starcraft just fine.

EDIT:
Also, any opinions on Under Siege that just got released on PSN? Looks interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khmL32S7ltg&feature=related

casual poster fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started getting into Legend of Heroes - Trails of the Sky and it's really neat, definitely has a Grandia 1/2 vibe about it.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 is coming soon but it doesn't look terribly stellar.

Anything Obsidian does is at least worth a look.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Someone mentioned Alpha Protocol and I was actually eyeing that since its on sale. How is it?

Rascyc posted:

It's a perfectly playable game, especially if you like the sci-fi genre (of which there are hardly many good modern RPGs). I'd suggest just playing it before reading too much and letting selective bias ruin your experience.

It has a fun narrative, as it mostly borrows all of its themes from popular sci-fi movies/syndicated series such as Battlestar Galactica, etc (although if you hate this sort of thing, then just skip the series in my opinion). The voice acting is pretty good for the most part, with the sore thumb being the male version of Shepard in ME1 (thus a lot of people just play the female version, or FemShep for short).

Some character personalities/writing are better than others in ME1, and the characterization across the board is better in ME2 at the expense of the main plot.

Decisions you make in ME1 do have some impacts in ME2. They're not completely global but there are some good ones (to elaborate more would be to kinda spoil things). It's hard to appreciate some of this because you won't ever know about them until you start reading threads/getting spoiled. It was a bit overhyped but there are parts there.

The gameplay in ME1 is a bit archiac at this point. It's a pretty basic cover-system-FPS with a lot of stats and powers. ME2 streamlined a lot of it and it made more FPS'ey and I thought it was pretty good. Lots of people disagree on how they handled powers by putting them ALL on a single linked cool-down (which slows things down and tries to make it strategic but ...) which is perfectly understandable.

[e]As a random aside, if you hate the whole planet exploration thing, the side mission stuff in ME1 is by far the weakest part of the game and is perfectly skippable. The only things it changes in ME2 are giving you more exp/money/minerals to start out with (most people just cheat the minerals in ME2, fwiw).

Fantastic post, thanks.

Ice Blue posted:

I wouldn't call it a bad game. It may be disappointing to some but not really a bad game unless you're big on hyperbole. Plus I don't know if I'd say DA2 got "fantastic reviews". It was inflated still but not really that high compared to DAO. ME2 was a great game to many people and considered GOTY by many people. I don't think you could say the same about DA2.

So its a lot like GTA IV?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah I'd say like GTA4 is pretty close. (I really liked GTA4)

A lot of pre-release hype and they mostly lived up to expectations but the almost perfect reviews after their release was overblown; a year later flaws are obvious but it doesn't detract from the fact that they are (very) good games.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Someone mentioned Alpha Protocol and I was actually eyeing that since its on sale. How is it?

Fantastic post, thanks.

So its a lot like GTA IV?

Alpha Protocol is unpolished and depending on your style choices, the gameplay can range from really easy and precise to messy and unfun. Where it really shines is the story and the flow of the plot. Minor decisions made throughout the game can have large impacts on the story - to the degree where it is very difficult to have two identical playthroughs.

The dialog system is simple, streamlined and quite excellent IMO. You choose from "styles" of dialog ranging from Suave, Agressive, etc.

I do have to stress the unpolished nature of the game. Bugs abound (it's Obsidian) but if you can pick it up cheap and give it a fair shot, it's worth the time to find out if you like it or not.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

*Sigh* Why is it so hard for WRPG developers to make a fully polished and cooked game?

Long development time vs due dates?

stfu
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.

punk rebel ecks posted:

*Sigh* Why is it so hard for WRPG developers to make a fully polished and cooked game?
I like to think that there is an industry-wide competition to see who can release a game with the most bugs before it starts to impact sales.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Long development time vs due dates?

I'd have to guess that. Alpha Protocol is amazing because of the sheer depth of the content. Sure, you visit the same locales playthrough after playthrough but the game really hinges on how the choices you make change the lay of the land and indeed, how well you understand the story itself.

I can only guess that would be difficult to playtest with the limited funding available for the task.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WRPGs generally have far more complexity in player agency, which makes the game hella hard to fully bugtest and polish unless you have a lot of money and a highly dedicated QA team. Your average line of dialogue in a JRPG is just that: a line of dialogue, whereas the average line of dialogue in a WRPG could easily split off into three separate options, which could then also split into three separate options each, and selecting one of those options might impact a particular plot flag down the road, or spawn more monsters, etc. It means that you need a much longer development cycle in general in order to properly refine the product.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

WRPGs generally have far more complexity in player agency, which makes the game hella hard to fully bugtest and polish unless you have a lot of money and a highly dedicated QA team. Your average line of dialogue in a JRPG is just that: a line of dialogue, whereas the average line of dialogue in a WRPG could easily split off into three separate options, which could then also split into three separate options each, and selecting one of those options might impact a particular plot flag down the road, or spawn more monsters, etc. It means that you need a much longer development cycle in general in order to properly refine the product.

The trend of emphasizing breadth really puts a strain on everything, not just QA but also art assets. Ultimately, though, it makes better games in bigger worlds. We just have to wait for them.

Funny (if you recall for instance the response to guided tour that was FFXIII) how we've come to expect open ends and branching paths, while JRPGs haven't really delivered yet.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
And that's another reason you should play The Witcher 2; it's ridiculously polished compared to other WRPGs and as far as I'm aware has no game-breaking bugs.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Slacker Ace posted:

And that's another reason you should play The Witcher 2; it's ridiculously polished compared to other WRPGs and as far as I'm aware has no game-breaking bugs.

Ah, there are a few bugs, but knowing CDprojekt they're pounding the pulp out of them right now.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Levantine posted:

Bugs abound (it's Obsidian) but if you can pick it up cheap and give it a fair shot, it's worth the time to find out if you like it or not.

People always say this, but compared to the competition it's on par at worst. I never had any gamebreaking issues in AP. In ME2 I was getting stuck in walls and forced to reload regularly. Bioware's other stuff is equally bad. Bethesda? Welp.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

sixide posted:

People always say this, but compared to the competition it's on par at worst. I never had any gamebreaking issues in AP. In ME2 I was getting stuck in walls and forced to reload regularly. Bioware's other stuff is equally bad. Bethesda? Welp.

Yeah it pissed me off that Alpha Protocol's bugs got brought up so much. I really didn't notice anything when playing it myself, the worst bug being one that moved me back one checkpoint in the first mission (With all my progress intact), which actually saved me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sachant posted:

Funny (if you recall for instance the response to guided tour that was FFXIII) how we've come to expect open ends and branching paths, while JRPGs haven't really delivered yet.

In all fairness FF13 was a step back in that regard, not "another example" of JRPGs offering no open-endedness. Almost every other JRPG from FF12 to the original Super Mario RPG was more open-ended than FF13, or at least had many more secrets and much more optional content that contributed to a feeling of exploration regardless of their actual (lack of) freedom of choice.

Pee pee doo doo FF13 is a Bad Game

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Speaking of open-endedness, I played Fallout 2 and really liked how open it was. Are Fallout 3 and New Vegas more or less open?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

sixide posted:

I had very few issues either but I've read about so many I'd rather not build someone up and then have them be one of those plagued with the problems. I played the 360 version and it was pretty solid for me at any rate.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Sam. posted:

Speaking of open-endedness, I played Fallout 2 and really liked how open it was. Are Fallout 3 and New Vegas more or less open?

New Vegas yes as it's basically what Fallout 3 would have been like if Black Isle made it.

In Bethesda's Fallout 3, you're pretty much railroaded into a single path as far as the main quest goes. There's some decision making in the side-quests but it's the usual either comical super villain or angel of mercy and nothing in between.

stfu
May 16, 2011

sixide posted:

In ME2 I was getting stuck in walls and forced to reload regularly. Bioware's other stuff is equally bad. Bethesda? Welp.
Part of the reason I'm so willing to poo poo all over ME1 at every opportunity is because when I played the game it was suffering from bubonic plague. I was clipping like a motherfucker and getting stuck in walls regularly. One time I even fell through the level. Sound got garbled every now and then and whenever I got into the Mako there was about a 30% chance that the game would release a horrific banshee wail that sounded like combination lovely horror movie screech and blender full of rocks. It also looked like complete rear end on the PC, and there were like two graphics options that did nothing to fix how horrible it looked.

I only begrudgingly accept the whole 'western games have bugs because they're more open' thing. It is true that it's hard to account for player will in western-styled RPGs, but that should really only apply to gameplay and fringe-case technical issues. While not an RPG, Just Cause 2's world map is flamboyantly humongous, and I only found one place in the entire game where i could do something i wasn't supposed to be able to do (a clipping bug).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Slacker Ace posted:

Plenty of script breaking bugs were in the game at launch, admittedly most of which are fixed by now. Lots of interface bugs, almost frustratingly so at times. Quite a few people could not even launch the game either until the first major patch got pushed out.

Also nobody can honestly say with a straight face that the end to Witcher 2 wasn't rushed, compared to the rest of the game.

Witcher 2 is a decent game, but I think it gets a slightly better limelight because it's following on the heels of DA2.

Slacker Ace posted:

New Vegas yes as it's basically what Fallout 3 would have been like if Black Isle made it.

In Bethesda's Fallout 3, you're pretty much railroaded into a single path as far as the main quest goes. There's some decision making in the side-quests but it's the usual either comical super villain or angel of mercy and nothing in between.
On the topic of freedom to explore: they're both equally free as far as how you want to go about your game .. eventually. New Vegas just has much better writing and more narrative to go with its open world. Fallout 3 vanilla is much more about exploring vacant locations with little back story in most cases, and has probably a lot more freedom due to its creature scaling nature.

New Vegas is the better game for people who want some narrative, but it does have a bit more railroading on how you play the early game as the other "obvious" path of exploration takes you through Deathclaw infested hills. This was the point of much criticism at NV's launch (aside from bugs). You end up taking this rather roundabout way to New Vegas that progresses you in levels nicely and also exposes you to a lot of cool areas/writing (all of which you can skip, sure).

NV's main plot however does have quite a bit more room for choice.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 6, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Fallout 3 is a good game by its own right, but it's narrative necessitates a certain degree of linearity as you pursue your father through the wasteland. It's a more personal narrative as it deals with the concept of family and legacy, but as a shortfall it isn't that funny or creative.

New Vegas takes the opposite route, the plot is a very simple revenge tale in the vein of the spaghetti western, leaving origins, personality and priorities wide open. The end goal is in sight very early on, but you're given no sense of urgency or no big push to pursue it right away.

With the main plot so open ended, the side quests have been given a huge amount of care and the options for solving problems are astounding. I've been playing it about three or four hours a night for the past week and i'm still wide eyed with wonder with every quest i work through.

Whilst I appreciate the care and quality of the first two games, I don't find them particularly fun to play, so New Vegas is an excellent compromise.

gently caress those Cazadores though

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If I really disliked DA:O, would I like Mass Effect 2?

Also can a brother get Persona 5 up in here????

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Plenty of script breaking bugs were in the game at launch, admittedly most of which are fixed by now. Lots of interface bugs, almost frustratingly so at times. Quite a few people could not even launch the game either until the first major patch got pushed out.

Of course, but I did mention compared to other WRPGs, especially after the fact that they managed to stamp out most of the serious bugs in a single patch 2 weeks after launch. These script bugs were extremely situational though; I only encountered 1 in my 2 playthroughs pre-patch.

quote:

Also nobody can honestly say with a straight face that the end to Witcher 2 wasn't rushed, compared to the rest of the game.

It didn't have as much content as the other two Chapters if that's what you mean. But I'm not getting the complaints that the ending felt rushed or came out of nowhere. If you consider everything that happens during the Epilogue the actual ending which I think was the intent of the developers (and not just the cutscene), then it's more than a satisfying conclusion to the game as it ties up nearly all loose ends.

quote:

Witcher 2 is a decent game, but I think it gets a slightly better limelight because it's following on the heels of DA2.

Just out of curiosity, what RPGs do you actually consider great?

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Bigass Moth posted:

If I really disliked DA:O, would I like Mass Effect 2?

Also can a brother get Persona 5 up in here????

There is absolutely nothing comparable about DA:O and ME2. Seriously, they are barely the same genre of games. They both have RPG dialogue where you choose what you want to say, that is the only similarity.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want to bring up Ultima again for a minute. My only experience with Ultima was Ultima 7 back when Exult was first starting to get around. I played dozens of hours of it, mostly just gathering some part members and exploring. Since EA released Ultima IV for free (y'know, it hasn't been on "abandonware" website for years now), I decided to give it a go.

Basically, I tried playing it, looked up some guides, realized it's definitely a product of it's era, and decided I didn't want to go hunting for hidden runes in random mountains. Amazing idea, even today - which is why I think EA is probably remaking the game, possibly Bioware - but it's just too old.

So I tried to go to V and VI and found out that they were both remade for Dungeon Siege! The Ultima 6 Project actually came out (1.0) last July, so nine years after they started. :gonk:

I'm going to try downloading those and see how things go. Not like I'm lacking for RPGs at the moment, just in the mood for some of that Ultima magic.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Slacker Ace posted:

It didn't have as much content as the other two Chapters if that's what you mean. But I'm not getting the complaints that the ending felt rushed or came out of nowhere.
Didn't have as much content as the other chapters is a bit of an understatement. No sense in going down this avenue of discussion cause it'll just be spoilers though.

My general point is that the game has its own share of faults that probably didn't get as much criticism as it should have since people are so well-starved for CRPGs at this point, especially a replacement for DA2.

Nitpicking over my complaints of the game is probably unnecessary though. I would still suggest the game to anyone who enjoys action RPGs, with a caveat of caution to be patient about the combat system. The setting and atmosphere alone are worth playing through.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Vermain posted:

To be fair JRPG's are much longer through their first play throughs.

The average WRPG takes about 20-25 hours to beat or so. While the average JRPG takes about 40-50.

Not to mention Final Fantasy XIII as an example of openness in JRPG's? That's like saying "WRPG's all have poo poo real-time battle-systems, just look at Arcanum).

Sachant posted:

Different genres, different styles.

You might as well compare Demon Souls to Oblivion.

Exercu posted:

Ah, there are a few bugs, but knowing CDprojekt they're pounding the pulp out of them right now.

The only bugs that The Witcher 2 has are good ones (I.E. No pants).

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Machine posted:

I want to bring up Ultima again for a minute. My only experience with Ultima was Ultima 7 back when Exult was first starting to get around. I played dozens of hours of it, mostly just gathering some part members and exploring. Since EA released Ultima IV for free (y'know, it hasn't been on "abandonware" website for years now), I decided to give it a go.

Basically, I tried playing it, looked up some guides, realized it's definitely a product of it's era, and decided I didn't want to go hunting for hidden runes in random mountains. Amazing idea, even today - which is why I think EA is probably remaking the game, possibly Bioware - but it's just too old.

So I tried to go to V and VI and found out that they were both remade for Dungeon Siege! The Ultima 6 Project actually came out (1.0) last July, so nine years after they started. :gonk:

I'm going to try downloading those and see how things go. Not like I'm lacking for RPGs at the moment, just in the mood for some of that Ultima magic.

The Lazarus remake of Ultima 5 is amazing, probably better than the original and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Ultima or classic RPGs. The U6 remake is also a pretty decent not as amazing in my opinion as Lazarus but good nonetheless.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair JRPG's are much longer through their first play throughs.

The average WRPG takes about 20-25 hours to beat or so. While the average JRPG takes about 40-50.

Not to mention Final Fantasy XIII as an example of openness in JRPG's? That's like saying "WRPG's all have poo poo real-time battle-systems, just look at Arcanum).
The thing is, it's kinda true that dialogue in JRPGs are generally pretty linear. What's not true is the average WRPG has dialogue trees that split off into different story options. These are much less common than people think. WRPGs are in general pretty linear as well. It's just that there are a few big name WRPGs from big developers that aren't like games by Bioware, Obsidian, and Bethesda.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ice Blue posted:

The thing is, it's kinda true that dialogue in JRPGs are generally pretty linear.

I was just throwing it out there that JRPG's tend to be much longer than your average WRPG thus not being that far away from the amount of content that must be moderated.

Ice Blue posted:

These are much less common than people think. WRPGs are in general pretty linear as well. It's just that there are a few big name WRPGs from big developers that aren't like games by Bioware, Obsidian, and Bethesda.

True. One can say the same thing about JRPG's all being "Final Fantasy-like". A vast majority of them aren't at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh hey someone said something about Seiken Densetsu 3 bugfix like a page ago. They were right, and it exists, but the problem is that you're going to have to look for it yourself because it seems to only exist in pre-patched releases.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

punk rebel ecks posted:

True. One can say the same thing about JRPG's all being "Final Fantasy-like". A vast majority of them aren't at all.

If you want a non-railroaded jrpg, look no further than Square's own SaGa series. (Not that it has been expanded any time recently--the latest installment was the RS1 remake in 2005.)

(Admittedly, the other examples of "free scenario"-type jrpgs I can think of are mostly amateur/freeware games, but that probably more a function of my playing habits than anything else.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

thark posted:

If you want a non-railroaded jrpg, look no further than Square's own SaGa series. (Not that it has been expanded any time recently--the latest installment was the RS1 remake in 2005.)

Actually, SaGa 2/3 have received DS remakes, with 2 getting a fan translation a few months ago.

The more you know.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Morpheus posted:

Yes, everybody needs to play The Witcher 2, an actual good RPG with grey choices and a shitload of customization, plus challenge, exploration, tons of sidequests, interesting characters, and some actually fun combat.

I reloaded my save and played through both outcomes of the big choice at the end of chapter 1, and I still had major problems picking a choice afterwards. I liked them both, drat it :(
Both Witcher 1 and 2 have great grey choices - you feel like both a hero and a dick no matter what you do. I haven't finished 2 yet but in 1 I just let Geralt pick the moral choice that was most
likely to get him laid, every time. That worked fine but led to some pretty hilariously awkward scenes like the man who hired you to find his missing sister catching you having sex with the sister's vampire
"captors"
. Worst witcher ever.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 6, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nutbladder posted:

Part of the reason I'm so willing to poo poo all over ME1 at every opportunity is because when I played the game it was suffering from bubonic plague. I was clipping like a motherfucker and getting stuck in walls regularly. One time I even fell through the level. Sound got garbled every now and then and whenever I got into the Mako there was about a 30% chance that the game would release a horrific banshee wail that sounded like combination lovely horror movie screech and blender full of rocks. It also looked like complete rear end on the PC, and there were like two graphics options that did nothing to fix how horrible it looked.

Well if that is how you had the game running, yeah it was horrible.
Altough the preformance of ME1-PC wasn't perfect what you described isn't normal though; game had a launcher to set up the graphics i had some minor issues with clipping a couple of times in over 8 playtrhoughs

Sorry to hear it ran so utterly crap and unacceptable for you though, I can understand the sour taste from that.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

thark posted:

(Admittedly, the other examples of "free scenario"-type jrpgs I can think of are mostly amateur/freeware games, but that probably more a function of my playing habits than anything else.)

Totally sound like a shill for Last Remnant at this point, but it's definitely the spiritual successor to the SaGa name and is way open-ended, far more so than almost any western RPG I've played in a very long time.

The storyline is maybe 25% of the content at most, less if you count rare monster spawns and DLC.

stfu
May 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Well if that is how you had the game running, yeah it was horrible.
Altough the preformance of ME1-PC wasn't perfect what you described isn't normal though; game had a launcher to set up the graphics i had some minor issues with clipping a couple of times in over 8 playtrhoughs

Sorry to hear it ran so utterly crap and unacceptable for you though, I can understand the sour taste from that.
It ran a lot less abysmally on my next PC, but that's hardly a point in it's favor since both were within the required system specs and the first PC ran ME2 flawlessly. Unfortunately even without the horrid bugs it still looked terrible and my opinion on the gameplay proved to be unmarred by the technical issues so I couldn't stomach another playthrough.

thark posted:

If you want a non-railroaded jrpg, look no further than Square's own SaGa series.
I played Unlimited Saga for about an hour several years ago and I remember being physically unable handle playing any more of it. It was that bad. Is that game the malformed retard of the franchise or am I just allergic to the series?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Never played any of the SaGa games except Final Fantasy Legend 2. But I heard nothing but bad things about Unlimited Saga. It's basically an abortion of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Unlimited SaGa is a one-off. None of the other SaGa games are like that other than similarities to the combat engine.

Last Remnant is not really like a SaGa game in its world freedom I feel. In SaGa games you kind of stumble around and find the threads from interactions, and rewards exploration a lot more. LR just has thousands of side quests you can do, all accessible from the taverns. Typically you just kinda go to a bar, get a side quest, and in most cases it will simply transition to the side quest area. Repeat for each town you find in the world (with some exceptions, late in the game).

I never felt like it had a SaGa vibe to its world, especially since a lot of LR quests are so similar. Might just be me.