Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Uhh. Hmm.

Don't take the brown source code, Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Kat is slaving away with code for days. Meanwhile Annie is non-nonchalantly playing with fire again.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Calaveron posted:

In hindsight, Kat's skepticism on magic and mysticism really is kind of silly. Her mom's a wizard, her best friend's guardian is a forest god, and her best friend is half magic monster and can fly and stuff.

This comes up in comics a lot. See also dc comics, where you have someone who is literally an angel from god who can tell you all about heaven and one of the smartest men in the world
Is an atheist.

For kat, though, didn't she express her belief that magic is just science we haven't explained? That seems (relatively) reasonable.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Revolver Bunker posted:

Kat is slaving away with code for days. Meanwhile Annie is non-nonchalantly playing with fire again.
Stay tuned for Gunnerkrigg: The College Years, when Annie majors in theater and Kat seals herself in a lab for the entire three years.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Boxman posted:

This comes up in comics a lot. See also dc comics, where you have someone who is literally an angel from god who can tell you all about heaven and one of the smartest men in the world
Is an atheist.

For kat, though, didn't she express her belief that magic is just science we haven't explained? That seems (relatively) reasonable.

It also works in reverse: Annie has the magical point of view and the first comment she makes is pointing out that maybe there's magic involved with Kat's science.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Also, Kat has personally met - and is on a first name basis with - a minotaur. You'd think at some point she'd go 'Hunh, another creature of legend is actually real. Go figure.' or to subvert that and have her go "Oh, well, what about Unicorns?" and everybody laughs and says there's no such thing as unicorns, get serious.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Detetsu posted:

Also, Kat has personally met - and is on a first name basis with - a minotaur. You'd think at some point she'd go 'Hunh, another creature of legend is actually real. Go figure.' or to subvert that and have her go "Oh, well, what about Unicorns?" and everybody laughs and says there's no such thing as unicorns, get serious.
She's also met a death god who can make himself invisible and somehow visits insect deaths worldwide (also the bird one).

edit: Although in retrospect I guess this could be considered religion and therefore out of the reach of humans?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 26, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Detetsu posted:

It's not like Baz has any super powers that science can't explain. Creatures talk and have sentience, this is normal to Kat. It's the whole peanut butter in my chocolate approach that crosses her up. Golems, her parents' bastardization of magic/science, etc.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Boxman nailed it. Kat doesn't deny that all these crazy things happen at the Court -- she just thinks there has to be an explanation for it all, and an explanation for those explanations. Proofs all the way down.

And then she finds robots that move without any wires or motors, and her mom has a computer that runs on magic runes, and her best friend can psycho-teleport a rock that burns without heat. And everyone's answer is, "It's magic etheric science; it just works."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I thinkl this picture posted earlier in the thread has bearing on the magic vs science in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Cyphoderus posted:

On the one hand it looks like there's a gap between nature and technology. But then you consider the fact that the "nature" of Central Park is 100% artificially constructed and landscaped. Perhaps it is the same way with the Court and the Forest.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

I thinkl this picture posted earlier in the thread has bearing on the magic vs science in Gunnerkrigg Court.

On the one hand it looks like there's a gap between nature and technology. But then you consider the fact that the "nature" of Central Park is 100% artificially constructed and landscaped. Perhaps it is the same way with the Court and the Forest.

Also consider that cities grow very organically, even if they're "constructed".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The latest update is what happens when you look into a TIME CUBE. Obviously she's been EDUCATED STUPID

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Suddenly, Kat is the star of Summer Wars. And a robot cyborg golem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So can someone remind me where the current robots come from then if Kat has to rediscover all this stuff? I thought that they were just made by the folks at the court, but apparently not?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The robots these days mostly make themselves, I think.

Am I the only one who thinks the Cube is related to the Seed Bismuth?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SynthOrange posted:

So can someone remind me where the current robots come from then if Kat has to rediscover all this stuff? I thought that they were just made by the folks at the court, but apparently not?

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned that the robots build themselves. And seem to govern themselves as well (All the way back to Annie pretending to be a robot to get Robot's chip)
And that Robot's original body was a simplified, or less elegant version of one of Diego's originals.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Parkourbot was originally some kind of slim willie who got himself thrashed by Ysengrin I think. Kat just took his memory chip and installed it in a newer body frame.

Kat's mad-expression is simply incredible.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Is it just me or is Robot getting creepier with his hoodie and constant staring at Kat. :ohdear:

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Robot is definitely getting creepier. Try harder, Shadow2!

edit:

Micgael fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
He's turning into Diego. :ohdear:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

wyoming posted:

He's turning into Diego. :ohdear:

That's actually a possibility. Hmmmm..... I mean, maybe he picked up something from S1...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, all the robots actually being sophisticated golems explains a lot about how Annie was originally able to put Robot together from spare parts. Lot harder to gently caress up when parts don't actually have to, you know, be mechanically suitable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

You know, all the robots actually being sophisticated golems explains a lot about how Annie was originally able to put Robot together from spare parts. Lot harder to gently caress up when parts don't actually have to, you know, be mechanically suitable.

Robot's a modern mechanised robot. Only Diego's creations were golems. None of them work anymore. Well, up until today.

The latest comics seem to imply the basis of the AI of the newer ones is that they've basically scanned in the intructions off the golems and virtually interpret it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ah, crap, I read that bit wrong.

We do know what the "extra part" is, now, though!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=222

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Angel, watch me activate my super power: Lightspeed Weeping.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arent the current generation robots afraid of that old one?

Also time for Kat to get a cool new robot hand I guess. :ohdear:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
First thing out of it's speaker box will be "Are you John Conner? Come with me if you want to live."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, I wonder if this is a third actor in the "She died and we did nothing" play...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I see somebody's been playing some Street Fighter while Annie was hanging out in the forest.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Parkourbot has really been practising those tiger-knees.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Get out of here with your magic, Annie, this is a robot chapter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I like to think the comic is just a medium to enable Tom's update comments.

We all know what the real star of the story is.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

We all know what the real star of the story is.

Yes.

Yes we do.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yes.

Yes we do.

That is terrible.

:arghfist::mad:

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!

inthesto posted:

I see somebody's been playing some Street Fighter while Annie was hanging out in the forest.

Ka0 posted:

Parkourbot has really been practising those tiger-knees.

Now I can't look at panel three and not see Annie about to throw out a hadouken.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Annies going for a kamehameha she's been hitting the animes hard since Kat showed her Princess Mononoke

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Fighting Trousers posted:

That is terrible.

:arghfist::mad:

Maybe we can put a rug on it?

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I was wikipedia hopping and came across this tidbit, which reminded me of this comic. Sorry if this has been posted before:

quote:

According to Lévi-Strauss, "mythical thought always progresses from the awareness of oppositions toward their resolution".[20] In other words, myths consist of:

1. elements that oppose or contradict each other and
2. other elements that "mediate", or resolve, those oppositions.

For example, Lévi-Strauss thinks the trickster of many Native American mythologies acts as a "mediator". Lévi-Strauss's argument hinges on two facts about the Native American trickster:

1. the trickster has a contradictory and unpredictable personality;
2. the trickster is almost always a raven or a coyote.

Lévi-Strauss argues that the raven and coyote "mediate" the opposition between life and death. The relationship between agriculture and hunting is analogous to the opposition between life and death: agriculture is solely concerned with producing life (at least up until harvest time); hunting is concerned with producing death. Furthermore, the relationship between herbivores and beasts of prey is analogous to the relationship between agriculture and hunting: like agriculture, herbivores are concerned with plants; like hunting, beasts of prey are concerned with catching meat. Lévi-Strauss points out that the raven and coyote eat carrion and are therefore halfway between herbivores and beasts of prey: like beasts of prey, they eat meat; like herbivores, they don't catch their food. Thus, he argues, "we have a mediating structure of the following type":[20]
Levi-strauss1.jpg

By uniting herbivore traits with traits of beasts of prey, the raven and coyote somewhat reconcile herbivores and beasts of prey: in other words, they mediate the opposition between herbivores and beasts of prey. As we have seen, this opposition ultimately is analogous to the opposition between life and death. Therefore, the raven and coyote ultimately mediate the opposition between life and death. This, Lévi-Strauss believes, explains why the coyote and raven have a contradictory personality when they appear as the mythical trickster:

The trickster is a mediator. Since his mediating function occupies a position halfway between two polar terms, he must retain something of that duality—namely an ambiguous and equivocal character.[21]

Because the raven and coyote reconcile profoundly opposed concepts (i.e., life and death), their own mythical personalities must reflect this duality or contradiction: in other words, they must have a contradictory, "tricky" personality.

We have the tic-toc god on the court side, which is pretty raven-like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if he ever got tired of people thinking he was the blue jeans guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just noticed that Kat's current outfit and haircut make her a dead ringer for Jordan from Real Genius.