Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Terpfen posted:

Came out on the 20th per Wikipedia.

I know that. My point is Nintendo Europe did gently caress all to even admit it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Mister Roboto posted:

You know what's funny about DQ9? A major plot point (established in the start) is that angels can't attack their superiors.

Ok, cool...but, then, who exactly are the 3 other party members, and why are they bound by the same law?

It just occurred to me that Dq9's story, for all intents, is written for just one player. The other 3 party members have zero impact on the story.

It's DQ1 with extra meatshields.

What I really don't get is apparently at the end when you finally eat a Fygg, it makes you human instead of just...promoting you or something.

EDIT: hurf

Fooley fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 28, 2011

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Edit: Much better, thank you. :)

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 28, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Check out this awesome gamasutra interview with Horii!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6390/25_years_of_dragon_quest_an_.php

Choice quotes:

quote:

It's not about the main character's story necessarily. Very frequently, in the Dragon Quest series, the main character actually doesn't talk at all.

YH: It is very intentional for me, because the main character in the game is actually the alter-ego of the player -- so you don't want to push words into the player's mouth. We want the player to feel like they are playing the game, and their own play affects the game. So the only thing you can actually say in the game is "yes" and "no" -- but there's no other dialogue.

Obviously that's a matter of some debate between different developers -- how much the player invests into the avatar on the screen. It seems that you think that it's a very tight connection.

YH: Yes, and what I am trying to avoid is the situation where the the main character you're playing is saying something, and you feel like, "No, that's not something I want to be saying if I were there," so that's the main thing.

It was reported in the past that you had designed a prototype of Dragon Quest IX with action-based gameplay, but based on audience reaction, you changed back to turn-based battles.

YH: Yes and no, to that rumor. When we worked on the prototype, we actually did make it more like an action game, where you can kind of do the action button mashing, but people didn't really like that kind of gameplay system well. But we didn't change it back just because of that; we also found that turn-based battles are actually fun in the multiplayer mode, so that's what we wanted to do, too.

When you say "people didn't like it", do you mean people internally developing the game, or focus groups, or something else?

YM: It was actually a media event where we brought that prototype, and then there started to be comments on YouTube -- people started arguing about which style was better.

Fundamentally, the core gamers don't like the change. Whenever we try to make some slight changes, they will reject the idea and just bash it. They key is to balance what kind of things we need to change, and what kinds of things we need to maintain.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Fooley posted:

What I really don't get is apparently at the end when you finally eat a Fygg, it makes you human instead of just...promoting you or something.

This is explained in-game. A Fygg grants the desire of the person who eats it. The various boss characters became big monster types because they wanted to be. (Or in the lizard’s case, because he had the hots for the bitchy queen.) The hero wanted to become a human, so that’s why eating the Fygg made him human.

PhilintheBlank
Apr 17, 2007
i just got a DS. should i play 4,5,6 or 9? I've played 8 for the PS2 but no other game from the series...

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

PhilintheBlank posted:

i just got a DS. should i play 4,5,6 or 9? I've played 8 for the PS2 but no other game from the series...

Play all of them.

9's got the whole skill point distribution thing 8 had but it also has lots of classes. I have 6 too but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

PhilintheBlank posted:

Do you like old-school top-down, Final Fantasy on SNES style rpgs? Then do them chronologically, 4, 5, 6. Most people say 5 has the best story, but, really, you don't play DQ for story, you play it for the old school rpg flavor.

9 is a little more modern in its design, so if you played that first you'd probably not like the earlier ones as much as they use the older engines.

If you don't like old school rpgs, just go straight to 9. But I think the earlier ones have their own merits, especially if you want to see the evolution of the series.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

PhilintheBlank posted:

All of them. In order. You won't regret it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PhilintheBlank posted:

At the very least play 4/5/6 before 9, so that 9's engine doesn't spoil you. DQ4 DS was my first Dragon Quest and I loved it, so I heartily suggest going through them in order.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I was recently injured at work, leaving me with about 60 days of "at home" time. I'm about to play through 4, 5, 6 on DS and then 8 on PS2 before going back to 9 on DS. I've never played any DQ's before for various reasons (time constraints mostly) but have played through a fair amount of RPG's. My cousin is the one loaning me the games and highly suggested I use guides he has for them, stating that they are a whole different beast from other FF's and whatnot.

I guess my question is, is it advisable to make use of them or would it be better to experience them blind with no prior exposure to the series?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AbberantBehavior posted:

I was recently injured at work, leaving me with about 60 days of "at home" time. I'm about to play through 4, 5, 6 on DS and then 8 on PS2 before going back to 9 on DS. I've never played any DQ's before for various reasons (time constraints mostly) but have played through a fair amount of RPG's. My cousin is the one loaning me the games and highly suggested I use guides he has for them, stating that they are a whole different beast from other FF's and whatnot.

I guess my question is, is it advisable to make use of them or would it be better to experience them blind with no prior exposure to the series?

I suggest you go into them blind and ask for questions here. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to give non-spoilered hints and help to guide you.

I suggest you definitely do them in that order, too, to see how the engine evolves.

They are a VERY oldschool rpg experience. They're town-dungeon-grind-boss-town-repeat. I like them, and I also like Final Fantasy, and they are different. FF has way more emphasis on a big arcing story and established villains, DQ is much more about fixing little problems each town has.

Hope you recover fast from whatever injury you have!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also, can anyone help me with the Dragon Quest 3 SNES translation patch?

http://www.dqtranslations.com/

I really would like to play it on DS.

However, it simply won't work, no matter what is tried. The DS SNES emulators will play the Japanese version, but not the patched version.

According to the translators:

http://www.dqtranslations.com/forum/anyone-got-working-ds

"The ROM is too big to work via SNES emulation on the DS. Generally, ROMS bigger than 4MB won't work because of the hardware limitations of the DS. You can run DQ5, DQ1+2 and Torneko no Daibouken just fine though. That's also the reason you won't see Slot-1 emulation of GBA games even though the DS can handle them natively in Slot 2."

Can anyone think of a way around that limitation?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's no obvious way around it. To load a cartridge-based ROM game, the entire game has to be loaded into memory all at once, as opposed to loading data from the cartridge as needed like a real system would. The DS does not have enough memory to do it, so it will inevitably fail.

That said, there IS an option pak for the DS and DS Lite that increases its memory storage. If the emulator can access that additional memory, I see no reason it shouldn't work...

If they get emulators on the DSi, it has 16 MB of memory so that limitation should be lifted.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Lite-Memory-Expansion-Pak/dp/B0027Z7JZ0

Also:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...rencyPreference

No guarantee, however. Supposedly homebrew stuff HAS used these paks before, so if the developers were aware of the pak and implemented it, it might work.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 6, 2011

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I suggest you go into them blind and ask for questions here. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to give non-spoilered hints and help to guide you.

Awesome, thanks. First 1-2 hours have been pretty cool so far, working my way through chapter two now. I already have a question though, inventory space was boning me pretty hard until I discovered the seemingly endless bag. I noticed that it is now empty again in the second chapter, did I lose any of the junk I had already thrown in there?

Speculating how it works because I have a suspicion I'll be seeing Ragnar again due to how quick his chapter was and the fact I got bumped up to some obscene level just for completing it. If and when I do play as him again, will he still have the same items and gold from the first go round or are they gone for good?

Also, is there a quick and easy way to stack items or is having an NPC reorganize for you the only way to do it. Herbs are killing me, how ironic.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

AbberantBehavior posted:

did I lose any of the junk I had already thrown in there?

I've only ever played the NES version (which doesn't have the bag), but no, you shouldn't lose anything. At least, once you have that character in your party again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually have a quick DQ6 question... I got Nevan and Ashlynn to master the Sage class quite quickly. Maybe too quickly, since now they're not going to learn anything else. Is it worthwhile to, in the meantime at least, have them go down the Armamentalist or Paladin routes? Just so they're learning something. It seems like most of the abilities I would care about have already been learned by Sage, and you would incur an enormous MP and Wisdom hit since you would have to go through Warrior and/or Marital Artist first.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Nate RFB posted:

I actually have a quick DQ6 question... I got Nevan and Ashlynn to master the Sage class quite quickly. Maybe too quickly, since now they're not going to learn anything else. Is it worthwhile to, in the meantime at least, have them go down the Armamentalist or Paladin routes? Just so they're learning something. It seems like most of the abilities I would care about have already been learned by Sage, and you would incur an enormous MP and Wisdom hit since you would have to go through Warrior and/or Marital Artist first.

I kept Nevan as a Paladin after he mastered Sage just to differentiate him from Ashlynn. Yeah, it’s worth it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AbberantBehavior posted:

Awesome, thanks. First 1-2 hours have been pretty cool so far, working my way through chapter two now. I already have a question though, inventory space was boning me pretty hard until I discovered the seemingly endless bag. I noticed that it is now empty again in the second chapter, did I lose any of the junk I had already thrown in there?

Also, is there a quick and easy way to stack items or is having an NPC reorganize for you the only way to do it. Herbs are killing me, how ironic.

You'll get access to the items later.

The bag re-organizing is a holdover from the primitive NES days. The NPC organizing is pretty much the only efficient way.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

The bag re-organizing is a holdover from the primitive NES days.

None of the NES versions ever had the bag. I think 3 introduced the vault, so at least you could dump stuff that had one important function but just hogged an inventory slot afterwards.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Mister Roboto posted:

The NPC organizing is pretty much the only efficient way.

Frig that, there are commands in the 'Misc.' menu to handle your items. 'Organise Items' will take everything but equipped/important items from a chosen character (or all characters, if you choose the wagon) and put them in the bag. 'Sort Bag's Contents' will rearrange items in the bag either by type or in alphabetical order. All items in the bag will be stacked, so you won't have three dozen Medical Herbs jamming up the menu.

And yeah, anyone who didn't play the NES games should realize the DS remakes are so much easier just for having the bag. It was introduced in 6 and it is such a huge relief; it lets you hoard MP restoring items, which lets you use magic more freely, which lets you heal a lot, which lets you explore dungeons in one shot (sometimes).

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I've managed to make it to Chapter V of DQIV so far, overall the game is incredibly fun for what it is. Chapter II felt considerably longer than the others and I got my rear end handed to me pretty good in the mine of Chapter IV.

I love that I actually have to grind in some areas to be able to deal with enemies, I played through FFIX last week and that aspect was completely missing.

Does changing the order/lineup of your party have any bearing on battle mechanics? (Who takes damage, etc.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dudes in front take the most damage, dudes in the back take the least (on average)

But frankly you should be picking your lead character based on who has the best overworld music.

Also on the off-hand chance nobody has mentioned it yet, Alena is the goddamn best. Use her all the time.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 announced for NA release!
And by announced, I mean that a press kit for it was uploaded to the Nintendo E32011 press site.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dq5 on amazon for 19.99

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-...QMVHB1SVMT9BNAX

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Himuro posted:

Dq5 on amazon for 19.99

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-...QMVHB1SVMT9BNAX

Forgot to post, but I just got it in the mail Friday and I have to say thank you sir, for pointing that poo poo out.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

SereneCrimson posted:

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 announced for NA release!
And by announced, I mean that a press kit for it was uploaded to the Nintendo E32011 press site.

This makes me so happy and sad. Has Nintendo effectively curbed the rampant cheating that was going on in the online world of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1? I loved the online play until people started rolling in with Murdaws and maxed stats

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

what a beautiful blue box. :unsmith:

Included in that beauty is:
- A 130 page reprint of a DQ 1, 2 & 3 guide that came out in Japan. Unchanged from its original printing.
- For the first run, each copy will include a Mini Medal.
- a DQ 1, 2 & 3 anime opening video. Similar to the animated video that plays when you start up DQ9.
- Dragon Quest Art Collection; unfortunately it seems this is on the game disc, not a booklet.
- Footage of DRAGON QUEST 10!!!

Coming out in Japan on September 15th.
I swear to god Square-Enix. This has to come out outside of Japan.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

SereneCrimson posted:

I swear to god Square-Enix. This has to come out outside of Japan.

It won't. Third parties have largely abandoned the Wii, especially in the US.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Terpfen posted:

It won't. Third parties have largely abandoned the Wii, especially in the US.

I'll settle for a slime plush.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I picked up a bunch of plushes from the S-E store HQ in Tokyo, including FF ones like Moogles...but I sold/gave away all the DQ ones. Sorry bro.

But if you have a genuine interest in buying/trading, maybe on my next visit I can pick up one?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I picked up a bunch of plushes from the S-E store HQ in Tokyo, including FF ones like Moogles...but I sold/gave away all the DQ ones. Sorry bro.

But if you have a genuine interest in buying/trading, maybe on my next visit I can pick up one?

Very 100% interested.

Until then I'm hoping for rabid promotions from releasing DQMJ2(only interested because of the video posted in this thread) and hopefully releasing DQ 1,2,3 25th Anniverary Edition. I still have my DQ9 poster and gave away the slime shirt as a b-day present :3:

e: vv Gamestop rewards? As in reimbursing those points? I have those, but doubt I have enough. Will check out the place in general even though the plushes are sold out. Thanks! vv

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 29, 2011

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
There's a Slime plush as one of the Gamestop rewards. Its sold out so I don't know if they'll get more. Probably not since its all leftover preorder crap, but its worth checking out.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
That box is a thing of beauty, oh my god.

I am hoping beyond hope that we get this outside of Japan.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

It's not a plush, but there are squishy vinyl Slimes on SquareEnix's own webstore.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It's not a plush, but there are squishy vinyl Slimes on SquareEnix's own webstore.

When was this added? I checked about a week or two ago and didn't see this.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I just picked up Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime from a Play and Trade and am confused how the multiplayer works. I'm the only one with a cartridge and after he downloads from me it just sticks him in a match vs the CPU.

Is it possible to play a tank battle against him, or do we need two carts for that?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Vadun posted:

I just picked up Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime from a Play and Trade and am confused how the multiplayer works. I'm the only one with a cartridge and after he downloads from me it just sticks him in a match vs the CPU.

Is it possible to play a tank battle against him, or do we need two carts for that?

I never played multiplayer with it, but I'm pretty sure you need two carts for proper multiplayer. A big part of it is being able to customize your team/tank equips. Without your own copy of the game you wouldn't be able to do that!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, apparently the Dragon scroll in DQVI is a one-time use? Wish I had known that before grinding before an hour (without saving) and then give the Dragon class a whirl on Carver assuming I could pass it around afterwards.

That being the case, who should I give my second scroll to? Would it be better to give it to a Sage like Milly/Nevan or the heavy hitters like Carver (which I already did but whatever)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Nate RFB posted:

That being the case, who should I give my second scroll to? Would it be better to give it to a Sage like Milly/Nevan or the heavy hitters like Carver (which I already did but whatever)?

There's another scroll in the final dungeon, you can recruit an actual Dragon late in the game, and you can buy the scrolls in the post-game dungeon, so don't worry too much about using them 'wrong.' Carver is an excellent choice for one anyway, assuming you raised him in a physical job. I usually make the heavy hitters into Dragons; it's a good job for physical fighters, and it gives them some non-magic hit-all elemental attacks that they might be lacking from their basic skillset.