Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

meatpimp posted:

That looked like a straight 220 compressor, but here's one that says it will do 7cfm@90psi with 120v: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/BelAire-2061V-Air-Compressor/p4786.html
Full load current on a 2HP motor is 24 Amps@115V, so you're still not getting away with plugging it into a standard receptacle; if you're putting in a dedicated outlet, you might as well go 220V.

Largest motor you can legally put on a normal cord & plug is 3/4hp. I don't think you'll find a 7cfm 90psi compressor in that size motor range.

grover fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

grover posted:

Full load current on a 2HP motor is 24 Amps@115V, so you're still not getting away with plugging it into a standard receptacle; if you're putting in a dedicated outlet, you might as well go 220V.

Largest motor you can legally put on a normal cord & plug is 3/4hp. I don't think you'll find a 7cfm 90psi compressor in that size motor range.

I'm stuck in an apartment for the time being so doing any electrical work in my garage is a no-go.

Thanks

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

The horsepower ratings used on compressors is a rough approximation of peak starting amperage, not rated operating power of the electric motor. Most I've seen follow closely to the 1hp=750w rule. For example, my "5hp" compressors have motors rated between 17 and 21 peak amps(220v) and I've never had one pop a 20a breaker.

A 2hp rated compressor should be 13-15a@120v. The pump certainly won't require any more than that.

edit: A bad idea that will probably burn down your apartment and kill many children: Find two outlets running on opposite poles of your breaker box and make a custom cord to combine for 220v. :toot:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can someone recommend a 1/2" ratchet set in the $150 range? Preferably in an organized case.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can probably use an extension cord from your electric stove outlet or electric dryer outlet. That is what I would do. The cords are pretty expensive but are sold at most big box hardware stores. This obviously doesn't work if you plan on using the compressor all the time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

oxbrain posted:

edit: A bad idea that will probably burn down your apartment and kill many children: Find two outlets running on opposite poles of your breaker box and make a custom cord to combine for 220v. :toot:

What if I run one cord from my house and one from my neighbor and splice them together? :derp:

Lonely Swedish
Aug 13, 2010
So this is a somewhat automotive-related topic, and I didn't really find a more appropriate place to put this.

I'm doing a bit of a science project which requires drawing a vacuum. After some research, it looks like the best option is this tool:

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/lighting/flashlights/YN600A

The Ryobi inflator/deflator (with flashlight!). Has anybody had any experience with this thing, specifically with its capability to suck? It's been my experience in the past that inflator/deflator type tools tend to be somewhat weaker on the "deflator" aspect than they are rated.

This thing claims a rating of up to 150 psi, and I'd like to know if its boasts are accurate before going out and buying one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Splizwarf posted:

What if I run one cord from my house and one from my neighbor and splice them together? :derp:

You cut your power bill in half.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oxbrain posted:

Fire Marshal Motronc is crying.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

The Cubelodyte posted:

So I am starting to think about shooting some paint in the kind-of-forseeable future and wonder what I should be looking for/avoiding in a HVLP gun. It's not for a large area- for a dashboard. At some point I have another, larger application in mind (the underside of the hood).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

How much air do you have available? For the price you can't beat this HF HVLP. I bought one as a backup to my other spray gun and it works much better than I expected it to. I am running a small 21 gallon compressor and it keeps up reasonably well.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Elephanthead posted:

You can probably use an extension cord from your electric stove outlet or electric dryer outlet. That is what I would do. The cords are pretty expensive but are sold at most big box hardware stores. This obviously doesn't work if you plan on using the compressor all the time.

Interesting idea, however my garage is probably 500 feet from my apartment

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Is a gas powered compressor likewise out of the question? Most tool rental places should have them (assuming you don't want to buy one permanently), as they're fairly popular with roofing and flooring crews working on houses that haven't had their electrical hooked up yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
Is a gas powered compressor likewise out of the question? Most tool rental places should have them (assuming you don't want to buy one permanently), as they're fairly popular with roofing and flooring crews working on houses that haven't had their electrical hooked up yet.

Where? I've never seen any contractor not using some small pancake compressor hooked up to a 5k generator that they can also charge their batteries and run their radio off of around here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
NE Ohio. I worked for four years for two different interior trim wholesalers that did deliveries for homebuilders that did McMansion developments. It wasn't that common, but on more than one occasion I saw both types of crews with a gas-powered compressor.

Probably more economical since gas powered compressors only have to run on demand and not constantly like a gas generator. Also a lot of the developments we delivered to were 70+% finished with a large majority of the homes already being lived in, and I'm sure the field office would get complaints if a crew had a generator running all day.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 7, 2011

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I suppose its a possibility. The only tool rental place I know of would be Autozone, Checker, etc. I'd have to do some digging

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Mooecow posted:

How much air do you have available? For the price you can't beat this HF HVLP. I bought one as a backup to my other spray gun and it works much better than I expected it to. I am running a small 21 gallon compressor and it keeps up reasonably well.

My biggest compressor is a 21-gallon HF job. I haven't been impressed with it so far. It certainly compresses, but the drain plug was the flimsiest goddamn thing I've ever seen and I managed to crush it out of shape the second time I used it. The motor assembly makes a... kind of rattling vibration I really don't like, though I admit I don't know if it means anything or not.

I over-engineered a replacement solution to the drain plug, only to find the regulator has crapped out and is apparently stuck wide open. I guess I expected too much from a $139 compressor of that size.

I'll check out the HF gun though, thanks!

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Brigdh posted:

I suppose its a possibility. The only tool rental place I know of would be Autozone, Checker, etc. I'd have to do some digging

If you live in a decent sized city, there has to be some sort of Rentall place where you can get that type of poo poo. Generators, compressors, jackhammers etc...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You might also try the rental section at Home Depot.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

The Cubelodyte posted:

My biggest compressor is a 21-gallon HF job. I haven't been impressed with it so far. It certainly compresses, but the drain plug was the flimsiest goddamn thing I've ever seen and I managed to crush it out of shape the second time I used it. The motor assembly makes a... kind of rattling vibration I really don't like, though I admit I don't know if it means anything or not.

I over-engineered a replacement solution to the drain plug, only to find the regulator has crapped out and is apparently stuck wide open. I guess I expected too much from a $139 compressor of that size.

I'll check out the HF gun though, thanks!

Is it model # 94667? I ruined the drain plug on it last weekend trying to take it out. I am just going to put a 1/4" petcock in its place. Also, mine was making a nasty rattling noise that was especially noticeable when the motor shut off. It turns out the plastic fan had worn down so it was loose on the shaft. So it would just sort of flail around and make noise.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I have a 1997 bmw 328is. Its check engine light is on - I'm pretty sure this is due to a recurring quirk something about a fuel vapor sensor or something - I've had it replaced and every time I take it to the mechanic he's just like 'yep, that thing again, let me clear that for you, that'll be 20 bucks'

I don't know much about cars, but I do about computers - is there a cheap like usb-> ?engine diagnostic interface? way I could read and reset my engine light on my own? It just bugs me driving around with it on all the time. :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You could do something like this but if you're just using it to pull and clear codes you're only going to be using a tiny percentage of its features. I guess for the price you can't go wrong, because even cheap code scanners are still in the $60 range.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
There are bluetooth OBD-II dongles on ebay that are cheap as poo poo and smartphone apps to pair them with. I've been thinking about picking one up to mess around with.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Mooecow posted:

Is it model # 94667? I ruined the drain plug on it last weekend trying to take it out. I am just going to put a 1/4" petcock in its place. Also, mine was making a nasty rattling noise that was especially noticeable when the motor shut off. It turns out the plastic fan had worn down so it was loose on the shaft. So it would just sort of flail around and make noise.

Why yes it is! I went with the ball valve just for ease of use. The quasi-rattle mine makes is only present when the motor is running, though. At first I thought it might be the plastic shroud, but holding it in various places does nothing to modify the noise. I'll have to check the fan out.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

The Cubelodyte posted:

Why yes it is! I went with the ball valve just for ease of use. The quasi-rattle mine makes is only present when the motor is running, though. At first I thought it might be the plastic shroud, but holding it in various places does nothing to modify the noise. I'll have to check the fan out.

Woops, I just re-read my post and it wasn't all that clear. :downs: The noise is constant and lasts for a couple seconds after the compressor shuts off (ie: the fan still freely spinning on the shaft).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

heat posted:

There are bluetooth OBD-II dongles on ebay that are cheap as poo poo and smartphone apps to pair them with. I've been thinking about picking one up to mess around with.

I have one but haven't had a lot of time with it yet. Turns out many of them do have issues communicating with older Ford OBDII vehicles, like my '98 Ranger. Haven't tried it on my MS3 but I did lend it to a friend who used it with his RX8 and it worked out well for him.

So as long as you don't have an older Ford, go for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have one but haven't had a lot of time with it yet. Turns out many of them do have issues communicating with older Ford OBDII vehicles, like my '98 Ranger. Haven't tried it on my MS3 but I did lend it to a friend who used it with his RX8 and it worked out well for him.

So as long as you don't have an older Ford, go for it.

That's more of a software problem than anything. I just had to update my software to scan a Hyundai Santa Fe that just wouldn't connect. The software update added a "slow start" version of one of the protocols it uses and it now connects about 75% of the time.

Standards are awesome. There are so many to choose form.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

heat posted:

I've had awesome luck with mine in all of my cars. It's just really cool to be able to watch all the various engine telemetry (rpm, mass-flow, o2 sensors, fuel/air mix, etc.) plotted in real-time. I've even used it for datalogging (along with GPS and accelerometer), though the slow refresh rate makes it not terribly useful for anything more than curiosity.

I'm using Torque on an Android phone, btw.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

heat posted:

like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180589934731&viewitem=#vi-content I don't know much about engine interfaces - do they all mostly just do this ODB-ii thing?

30 bucks sounds like the price range I was hoping for, I'd probably pay to be able to reset my loving engine light. can you just leave the thing plugged in at all times? would be sort of neat to just like 'doot da doo' pull up android app while driving and be like 'yeah check out my fuel air mix baby'

edit : google says yes re my OBD question, they're all mostly the same

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I don't know much about engine interfaces - do they all mostly just do this ODB-ii thing?

30 bucks sounds like the price range I was hoping for, I'd probably pay to be able to reset my loving engine light. can you just leave the thing plugged in at all times? would be sort of neat to just like 'doot da doo' pull up android app while driving and be like 'yeah check out my fuel air mix baby'

Yes and yes. They're even powered off of the OBD-II port.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you just need a scanner for reading and clearing codes, this works for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1307505784&sr=1-1

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I picked up a reader at Costco for $20 or so and it has worked great despite being pretty basic (2 buttons on it). Even works on my bike!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks for all the help :) looking forward to this bluetooth thing. just nerdy enough to make me happy.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I might have an opportunity to buy a new 60 gallon 11.4scfm at 90 psi and max of 190 psi for 425 bucks. It's normally 700, I should jump on this right?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

So I might have an opportunity to buy a new 60 gallon 11.4scfm at 90 psi and max of 190 psi for 425 bucks. It's normally 700, I should jump on this right?

What's the brand/model? Lowes sells brand new campbell hausfelds with almost the same stats for $480 regular price. HF sells their comparable model(which you should never buy) for $400.

edit: Except the 190psi part, that's pretty high up there. Make sure you get a regulator capable of handling that much pressure, or that it has an adjustable cut-off switch.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 9, 2011

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
craftsman, no sure on model

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

This one?

I can't find any info on who makes that for them. The pump is a generic 30+ year old design. No sight glass or intake silencer in the photo, both are nice features. Sears is usually good about parts availability. Their original $700 price is WAY too high. I wouldn't call $400 an amazing deal, but it's not a bad one.

Their warranty is funny.

quote:

FOR ONE YEAR from the date of purchase, this product is warranted against any defects in material or workmanship. A defective product will receive free repair or free replacement if repair is unavailable. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period. This warranty is void if this product is ever used while providing commercial services or if rented to another person.

Craftsman professional brand: Not intended for actual professional use.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah looking at the price in the system that the store bought it for ($404) makes the deal about as low as it can go before I'm actually taking profit from them.

I found a bunch of reviews about it failing, (head gaskets blowing and poo poo like that), so I'm not sure. I just thought that I would be looking at spending around 400-500 on a used 60 gallon (right? or am I wrong?) and if I could get a brand new one for that price range, sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread because I somehow missed this thread, despite looking for it and it being on the front page.

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap ftlb torque wrenches? I was in at sears, but they didn't have anything cheap that would go to 20 or less, and a big part of why I want one is spark plugs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread because I somehow missed this thread, despite looking for it and it being on the front page.

Does anyone have recommendations for cheap ftlb torque wrenches? I was in at sears, but they didn't have anything cheap that would go to 20 or less, and a big part of why I want one is spark plugs.

Harbor Freight. Don't drop it, and don't use it as a breaker bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're looking for a cheap torque wrench, go beam style. The Sears one will be about 20-25 bucks and they're good within a few percent.

Cheap clicker torque wrenches can bite you in the rear end pretty drat fast.