Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Longtiem posted:

wait are you on that boat? or at starscape?

Good Units @ the Hudson Hotel in Manhattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Battle Cattle posted:

Why can't this kind of music be more popular in America :negative:

because Lady Gaga is apparently all we need. :smith:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Threatis posted:

guess who produced this track. you only get one guess:

http://youtu.be/2ekW4ly2dcY

sounds like diplo's version of D.A.N.C.E.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11kPLwMtTUs diplo+skrillex collab confirmed by diplo at the mad decent forums, thoughts? I actually think it's p. good, and sounds exactly how you'd expect it to sound. vocals own

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Stuntastic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11kPLwMtTUs diplo+skrillex collab confirmed by diplo at the mad decent forums, thoughts? I actually think it's p. good, and sounds exactly how you'd expect it to sound. vocals own

yeah. Its gonna be fun to hear a good version of this song, heard it a few days ago.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^^ that's just an all out fun track. I want that ASAP.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Threatis posted:

If you can't see how hysterical the whole idea of blogboat is I really don't know what to tell you

This may have been asked before, but I see you naysaying nearly every artist and event posted in this thread; so I'm curious about what you listen to. I'd like to hear what "good" EDM is so I can see if my virgin ears can tell the difference.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

Nagget posted:

This may have been asked before, but I see you naysaying nearly every artist and event posted in this thread; so I'm curious about what you listen to. I'd like to hear what "good" EDM is so I can see if my virgin ears can tell the difference.

You must listen to the recordings of the sloshing noises produced as the sweat of 13 prepubescent Jamaican and Trinidadian children comingles with the blood of Sonny Moore and David Guetta, drawn by the teeth of Ghislain Poirer and Douster, and laps gently at the edges of the bucket Wesley Pence cradles in his arms as he ascends to his rightful throne at the top of the Blue Mountains where he will be tended to and cared for for all eternity by his right hand man, the ghost of Lee Scratch Perry.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Stuntastic posted:

You must listen to the recordings of the sloshing noises produced as the sweat of 13 prepubescent Jamaican and Trinidadian children comingles with the blood of Sonny Moore and David Guetta, drawn by the teeth of Ghislain Poirer and Douster, and laps gently at the edges of the bucket Wesley Pence cradles in his arms as he ascends to his rightful throne at the top of the Blue Mountains where he will be tended to and cared for for all eternity by his right hand man, the ghost of Lee Scratch Perry.

That didn't answer my question but was so eloquently put that I cannot possibly rebut, but I have interviewed Sonny Moore and I think he's a total twat and the few times I've interacted with Guetta he's always just absolutely wreaked of talentless douche. I am however curious as to what Threatis considers "good" electronic music.

It's getting to the point where it seems like everyone here hates a DJ/Producer simply because they are popular? Afrojack sucks? Laidback Luke sucks? A-Trak does the same thing over and over? According to some of the posters in this thread I have only scratched the surface of "good" EDM and I am looking for some suggestions. This isn't an attack -- this is a request.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Nagget posted:

That didn't answer my question but was so eloquently put that I cannot possibly rebut, but I have interviewed Sonny Moore and I think he's a total twat and the few times I've interacted with Guetta he's always just absolutely wreaked of talentless douche. I am however curious as to what Threatis considers "good" electronic music.

It's getting to the point where it seems like everyone here hates a DJ/Producer simply because they are popular? Afrojack sucks? Laidback Luke sucks? A-Trak does the same thing over and over? According to some of the posters in this thread I have only scratched the surface of "good" EDM and I am looking for some suggestions. This isn't an attack -- this is a request.

Is this a joke? Threatis is the biggest Diplo stan in the world.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Question for everybody here, how are the local acts in your cities? Any rising talent with a local following, maybe a really good resident/promoter/party?

We get all the big names through here, and the older residents at the big clubs who do this for a living are all very much the same. We don't seem to have any younger underground talent or consistency, in both our local parties or our djs.

I'm just curious if other places are like this too. If I want to go to a small club and listen to some tunes its very hit or miss and you rarely see recurring names... unless you want to hit up a big venue on a residents night and hear all the same thing.

Also we've had a bunch of superstars come out of here, but it doesn't seem like there is anybody next in line.

Oh, another related question, what are your city's popular local genres? What do you never hear at all?

Firaga fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2011

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Mike_V posted:

Is this a joke? Threatis is the biggest Diplo stan in the world.

yeah basically this.

i dont hate the music at all, but the scene that has popped up around it has ruined alot of it for me. this poo poo belongs in the basement of some bar or in a persons back yard not on a loving cruise ship.

Nagget
Jan 17, 2003

Threatis posted:

yeah basically this.

i dont hate the music at all, but the scene that has popped up around it has ruined alot of it for me. this poo poo belongs in the basement of some bar or in a persons back yard not on a loving cruise ship.

It's definitely a double-edged sword, I am relatively new to the scene -- 2 years ago I decided to go to Electric Zoo in NYC and I was completely hooked. Last year I noticed that the people I was encountering when I was going to shows was taking a serious turn for the worse, and I am really worried that Electric Zoo this year is going to be full of the worst type of fans.

As the scene gains popularity a lot of the guys I'm fans of are making boatloads of money, thats cool, it also means there are a lot more emerging acts that have huge amounts of a talent that wouldn't have existed a few years ago. The problem is that with all this popularity comes the sort of douchebaggery that ruins many of the events for me.

Ideally the bubble will burst, like it did in the 90s, and the people who are left attending shows are the ones who actually appreciate the music.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Well in a case like electric zoo, I think the shift in tone of the lineups and advertising over the past few years can be attributed to much of the change in composition of the crowd. It's a conscious decision by the promoters who they book obviously, and in the case of a festival in new york virtually any combination of djs can be assembled with a variety of different fanbases. If you look at this years lineup Victor Calderone is the only ny dj with a residency playing (I think) and he's a natural fit for a more european/suburban crowd. However, that being said electric zoo is only a minor part of the ny club scene and I would hardly say it has any influence in crowding out the sort of events I am more amiable to. If you are worried about the crowd and music and electric zoo, you can find a subscene for any music you want in new york.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Firaga posted:

Question for everybody here, how are the local acts in your cities? Any rising talent with a local following, maybe a really good resident/promoter/party?

We get all the big names through here, and the older residents at the big clubs who do this for a living are all very much the same. We don't seem to have any younger underground talent or consistency, in both our local parties or our djs.

I'm just curious if other places are like this too. If I want to go to a small club and listen to some tunes its very hit or miss and you rarely see recurring names... unless you want to hit up a big venue on a residents night and hear all the same thing.

Also we've had a bunch of superstars come out of here, but it doesn't seem like there is anybody next in line.

Oh, another related question, what are your city's popular local genres? What do you never hear at all?

I never hear anything beyond terrible electro and even worse dubstep. gently caress Santa Cruz. The only talent coming out of here is Minnesota (who is talented, even I must admit), and Getter who are both dubstep.

I never hear anything interesting.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

The Fresh Prince posted:

I never hear anything beyond terrible electro and even worse dubstep. gently caress Santa Cruz. The only talent coming out of here is Minnesota (who is talented, even I must admit), and Getter who are both dubstep.

I never hear anything interesting.

What do you expect though? SC is pretty small

You should start throwing some parties

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Firaga posted:

this is simple for me because ottawa has become this weird hub of awesome music:

from here includes:

Jokers Of The Scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-qhmPb6Yd4

A Tribe Called Red http://youtu.be/S8KFmArXzzU

Drastik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8mynAvTTY

Kid SL http://www.myspace.com/djkidsl

and about 100 others.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Me and my friends have been trying, its just its not a dubstep party.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Nagget posted:

As the scene gains popularity a lot of the guys I'm fans of are making boatloads of money, thats cool, it also means there are a lot more emerging acts that have huge amounts of a talent that wouldn't have existed a few years ago. The problem is that with all this popularity comes the sort of douchebaggery that ruins many of the events for me.

Its the nature of the game. No reason for guys like David Guetta and Laidback Luke to break their backs trying to be gamechangers when they make 5 figures per gig and write entire tracks during cab rides/plane trips that will still make the top 10 on Beatport. Some guys still fight the good fight, but as a lot of these guys get older it becomes increasingly more attractive for them to just ride the wave and enjoy their baller house music demigod lifestyle. Can't really blame em. Just gotta do the work and dig beyond the surface for other music.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Vernacular posted:

baller house music demigod lifestyle.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

melee beats posted:

What do you expect though? SC is pretty small

You should start throwing some parties

It's really hard to throw parties in Santa Cruz. The Civic center is the only venue that will take in EDM at this point, because the fanbase in Santa Cruz is made up of literally every single awful stereotype about EDM ever, and they ruin every venue they touch. There used to be about five places that would throw an EDM "party" (Veterans Hall, Catalyst, 418, Civic, and Motiv (sort of)), and they've all backed down completely. Also, "amplified noise" can't go past 1am in Santa Cruz, and the police force is pretty zealous about that. There's a possibility of renegades/forest parties, but the second word gets out to a UCSC student, they tell all of their awful kandikid dubstep-lovin friends and then all of a sudden your event is on Facebook with 1500 attending and the cops come twenty minutes in to the party starting.

gently caress the Santa Cruz EDM "scene"... And didn't a Getter track get played by Bassnectar for awhile? I guess that's for a different thread, though.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
new electro remix for a progressive house artist I finished a while back. Tried out a lot of new stuff on this track, including my first attempt at dubstep. Hope you guys enjoy it.

I'm only allowed to post it as a preview, so a short 2 min clip will have to do...

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/elvin-ong-friction-the

GbrushTwood fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 6, 2011

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Firaga posted:

DC moombahton 4 lyfe.

back in RI (and kinda sorta boston) its top 40 and the big guys in clubs, but usually just hip hop. The gay bars are the only ones that play house, interspersed with "its raining men."

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Nagget posted:

Ideally the bubble will burst, like it did in the 90s, and the people who are left attending shows are the ones who actually appreciate the music.

yo i gotta call this out, this "you cant go to a club / show unless you appreciate the music, man" vibe bugs me. If someone wants to go out and give the guys i wanna see money and pop their collar and gel their hair i dont give a gently caress, no skin off my teeth.

Hell, some of the shows I never thought I'd really get into have been the ones I have great memories of. Moshing to pendulum at the 930 club and the bouncers throwing everyone out loving owned. Justin Martin was poo poo tons of fun, and I only went cuz other plans fell through. That bastard gave me an entire bottle of cuervo silver and told me to hide it from the bouncers.

also whats wrong with writing a track in a plane ride? if it flows and other people like it thats cool, its just not my cup of tea.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
I picked up Blow Your Head Vol 2: Dave Nada presents Moombahton and I really enjoy it. Would this be considered a pretty good introduction? What else should I check out?

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

unknown poster posted:

I picked up Blow Your Head Vol 2: Dave Nada presents Moombahton and I really enjoy it. Would this be considered a pretty good introduction? What else should I check out?

Heartbreak and munchi have good compilations, blow yr head vol2 is good though. Dave nada and dillon Francis have made good mixes too

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
Fools gold has one from last year that was like, the starter.

http://www.maddecent.com/blog/the-winter-of-moombahton is cool too

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
"Throw your own party" gets thrown (haha) around a lot.
It's really hard to plan an event for a city that only listens to one type of music, or somebody has a monopoly on another type.
At the same time though I think a lot of promoters and djs are inept and have a lovely taste in music so that can have something to do with it! Oh well, if only I had a crew, about 5k down and a shitload of equipment.

Also I didn't know Jokers of the Scene were from Ottawa, thats pretty cool. I didn't know Ottawa had a good music scene. Id love to check out Montreal's underground scene but I'm not so into minimal...

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Firaga posted:

It's really hard to plan an event for a city that only listens to one type of music, or somebody has a monopoly on another type.
At the same time though I think a lot of promoters and djs are inept and have a lovely taste in music so that can have something to do with it! Oh well, if only I had a crew, about 5k down and a shitload of equipment.

I agree that saying "throw your own party" isn't really particularly useful advice, I also think, based on what you said, that you are overestimating the difficulty of starting your own events. You definitely do not need 5 grand, and as for equipment venues have their own sound (and probably some combination of cdjs/turntables/mixers/etc), and at a bare minimum you just need a laptop and a mixer.

Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 2007
lots of people talk and few of them know

Threatis posted:

this is simple for me because ottawa has become this weird hub of awesome music:

A Tribe Called Red http://youtu.be/S8KFmArXzzU

Thank you for this, have anymore like it?

Dazed and Confused fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 7, 2011

Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 2007
lots of people talk and few of them know
I've been getting into Tech-House a lot lately so I thought I would post some tracks I've been diggin.

Pteradactil Disco - Big rear end Biscuit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dv7jDsOMTM (if t-house isn't really your thang just skip to 3:27 for the best part)

No Regular Play - Owe Me (Nicolas Jaar Mix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRpqh1ORXQ definitely one of my favorites out right now

Davide Squillace & Luca Bucchetti - Around The Bay (Martin Buttrich Remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eyFeQ0VVo

Mike Hulme - Set the Controls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KtIIO_9nA not tech-house but so what

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Dazed and Confused posted:

I've been getting into Tech-House a lot lately so I thought I would post some tracks I've been diggin.

Pteradactil Disco - Big rear end Biscuit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dv7jDsOMTM (if t-house isn't really your thang just skip to 3:27 for the best part)

No Regular Play - Owe Me (Nicolas Jaar Mix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRpqh1ORXQ definitely one of my favorites out right now

Davide Squillace & Luca Bucchetti - Around The Bay (Martin Buttrich Remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eyFeQ0VVo

Mike Hulme - Set the Controls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KtIIO_9nA not tech-house but so what

Some of these kinda (only slightly) reminded me to listen to Parov Stelar's "Electroswing" I used to hear on di.fm's Electro House channel

Parov Stelar - Catgroove (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROwH8ZEST1U)

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

plogo posted:

I agree that saying "throw your own party" isn't really particularly useful advice, I also think, based on what you said, that you are overestimating the difficulty of starting your own events. You definitely do not need 5 grand, and as for equipment venues have their own sound (and probably some combination of cdjs/turntables/mixers/etc), and at a bare minimum you just need a laptop and a mixer.

Oh I know, I was thinking more larger scale. I have the means of running my own night at a small venue, just not enough interest/commitment from people I know. One day!

Dazed and Confused posted:

Yeahhh tech house!! This is the deeper side, Its not something I hear very often but it's very enjoyable!!

Here is the other side of tech-house. Some stuff I'm playing now, etc.

DJ Tonio - Get the Funk (Oliver Giacomotto Remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PyyY6mEvEs

Ramon Tapia - Talk to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuY_TYkQdBU

Jason Chance - Life's Groove http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba6yo28rBXI

Firaga fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 7, 2011

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Firaga posted:

Also I didn't know Jokers of the Scene were from Ottawa, thats pretty cool. I didn't know Ottawa had a good music scene. Id love to check out Montreal's underground scene but I'm not so into minimal...

I used to think it was really difficult to throw parties as well until I saw some absolutely retarded people throwing successful parties. You aren't going to start with a huge 5k budget and the biggest names, but if you want to play good music, work it out with some pals and throw something small but intimate. If you're good at it, you can grow that to something bigger.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

melee beats posted:

I used to think it was really difficult to throw parties as well until I saw some absolutely retarded people throwing successful parties. You aren't going to start with a huge 5k budget and the biggest names, but if you want to play good music, work it out with some pals and throw something small but intimate. If you're good at it, you can grow that to something bigger.

Yeah thats the approach I'm taking. Some of the people throwing stuff here are retarded/have no idea. It's just a matter of finding like minded people. The big budget is just something I one day hope of doing :)

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

ephex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8dY1KpLOs

what is this poo poo and why do i love it so much???

Hands up who else recognizes this from Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

Anyway this is awesome. Hadn't heard the whole song before. It's pretty funny now that I have. This style of music is huge in Brazil and is simply called 'funk' there (elsewhere you can call it Rio funk or funk carioca to distinguish it from, you know, real funk). There's tons of it. This is one of the sillier, more lighthearted tracks. For something similar you might check out the group Bonde do Role.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

the Chambuchu remix album is out and i'm going to be playing the living hell out of the Samim one

http://maddecent.com/blog/schlachthofbronx-chambacu-remix-ep-out-now

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Hammsturabi posted:

Hands up who else recognizes this from Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

Googled "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music", oh my god it's even more pretentious than this thread

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Firaga posted:

Oh I know, I was thinking more larger scale. I have the means of running my own night at a small venue, just not enough interest/commitment from people I know. One day!

Yeahhh tech house!! This is the deeper side, Its not something I hear very often but it's very enjoyable!!

Here is the other side of tech-house. Some stuff I'm playing now, etc.

DJ Tonio - Get the Funk (Oliver Giacomotto Remix) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PyyY6mEvEs

Ramon Tapia - Talk to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuY_TYkQdBU

Jason Chance - Life's Groove http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba6yo28rBXI

Awesome tunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Mr Viper posted:

Googled "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music", oh my god it's even more pretentious than this thread

I'm surprised that you don't know what it is. It's the biggest joke, pretty much ever. Ishkur doesn't really come off pretentious to me, more "I don't know what i'm talking about sorta" half of the time.

Note, if someone really wants to know about the history of dance music up to 2000, then they should just invest in a copy of Last Night a DJ Saved My Life. I can't tell you how much I learned from reading it. If you've ever read "How to be a DJ: The Art and Science of Playing Records" (which, is an amazing book as well, btw) by the same dudes, then you know that these guys know what they are talking about.

Edit: after going back to the guide, he really is kinda pretentious. He disses all of 2step, which, I am never down with.

Note: "rio funk" "funk carioca" is also referred to as "baile funk." this compilation is a good place to start.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 8, 2011