Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Got Civilization by FLA in the post today and listened to it on the way to work.

Welp. You win, Leeb. That must've been one of the best albums I've ever heard, at least on the first listen. Holy poo poo, I can't wait to get back home to listen to this motherfucker again.

That's got Vanished on it, right? I think that's when the melding of all of the FLA side projects really coalesced into something polished and nuanced (mature, maybe?). I'll have to dig the disc back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I love the lyrics on that CD. "Obliverate"? :stare:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

I love the lyrics on that CD. "Obliverate"? :stare:

Bang! I am maniacal
Bang! So defiable
Obliverate dominate selfdestruct and activate
Bang! I am political
Bang! So unequivable
the name of the game is to win all the way

FLA were a lot of things, but master lyricists not so much?

I only really listen to Tactical Neural Implant, and never really had much interest for anything that came after. Sonically, it's a nice slice of early 90's dance floor stomp. Lyrically ... eh. "Mindphaser" has some cool ideas, but then that chorus hits and I always think he cribbed it from discarded Puppy sessions. :(

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah. Ogre pulls off semi-nonsense lyrics in a way that seems artsy and deep in that "I guess I'm just not tuned in enough to get it" sort of way.

Bill Leeb's lyrics are straight retarded.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

disturbed emotion

greased with lotion

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Who will be the first to uncover a June/Spoon/Moon in the FLA catalog?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah. Ogre pulls off semi-nonsense lyrics in a way that seems artsy and deep in that "I guess I'm just not tuned in enough to get it" sort of way.

Ogre had a few eye rolling turns*, especially as of late. Stream of consciousness style stuff is usually scoff worthy, but he gets away with it I think when its combined with the sound sculptures those boys pulled off in their peak. I've liked the odd line here and there from the latter material, but (to me) lyrically nothing can touch that Too Dark Park and Last Rights material.

* "Assimilate" is probably one of my favorite classic Puppy tracks, and up there in favorite songs in general. However, every time I hear it I still think the "rot and assimilate/so hot to annihilate" sounds weird. I think it's just his use of hot there that makes it sound cumbersome.

And we'll not discuss his rearranging of history to afford a rhyme for Kent State (at least he corrected himself in later live recordings).

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 1, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Might as well post this here since I already uploaded it for my friend to check out:

This is a quick thing I made in Rytmik on my Nintendo DS at 3 AM last night. It's pretty much just a fistful of sounds and ideas I fiddled around with yesterday, but please say something about it, especially if it's negative :) This is the first time I'm trying to make this kind of stuff on this particular software, so personally I was pretty pleased with the sounds I managed to get out of it, especially since the program is mostly geared towards the various subgenres of electronic dance music.

Now, I'm pretty much a horrible novice when it comes to making music at this point (I've never even tried to properly learn how to play a guitar outside of school, although I do know something about keyboards) but I've always wanted to express myself and I have a multitude of ~ideas~. Said ideas involve a lot of industrial-ish and noise-ish soundscapes that I'm kind of hoping I'll get around to making into at least some kind of tracks in the summer when I finally have more free time. My brother and I also have a kind of a noise project we sometimes fiddle around with for fun, and it's growing more and more certain that we're gonna play a short gig in the summer. Gonna be my first public musical performance ever, and although it won't be until July and there's likely gonna be like 20 people attending, I'm already starting to feel nervous about it... :ohdear:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 1, 2011

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Goddamnit now I need to get a DSi. Thanks a bunch CAT rear end now!!!

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

boo_radley posted:

That's got Vanished on it, right? I think that's when the melding of all of the FLA side projects really coalesced into something polished and nuanced (mature, maybe?). I'll have to dig the disc back up.

That was the first album Rhys Fulber returned on, and iirc the guitarist for Fear Factory did the guitars in Civilization. The album itself was a Big Deal due to Fulber's return

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

It's amazing how many of his finger prints you can hear in it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This album is loving amazing, it's past 2 AM and I just listened through it the third time in a row. gently caress. Every other FLA album I have (Caustic, Millennium, IED) is loving lame compared to this even when just a couple of days ago I thought they were pretty cool. Please tell me they have at least some other FLA albums more like this. I've got Tactical Neural Implant coming in the mail but now I'm afraid I won't care about it after listening to Civilization.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I'm afraid they're all completely different beasts. There's nothing like Civi, there's nothing like TNI, there's nothing like Hard Wired etc. They're (almost) all great in their own way which is part of the reason why I like FLA so much.

Those three I mentioned are probably my favourites. With a nod towards FLAvour.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Might as well post this here since I already uploaded it for my friend to check out:

This is a quick thing I made in Rytmik on my Nintendo DS at 3 AM last night. It's pretty much just a fistful of sounds and ideas I fiddled around with yesterday, but please say something about it, especially if it's negative :) This is the first time I'm trying to make this kind of stuff on this particular software, so personally I was pretty pleased with the sounds I managed to get out of it, especially since the program is mostly geared towards the various subgenres of electronic dance music.

Now, I'm pretty much a horrible novice when it comes to making music at this point (I've never even tried to properly learn how to play a guitar outside of school, although I do know something about keyboards) but I've always wanted to express myself and I have a multitude of ~ideas~. Said ideas involve a lot of industrial-ish and noise-ish soundscapes that I'm kind of hoping I'll get around to making into at least some kind of tracks in the summer when I finally have more free time. My brother and I also have a kind of a noise project we sometimes fiddle around with for fun, and it's growing more and more certain that we're gonna play a short gig in the summer. Gonna be my first public musical performance ever, and although it won't be until July and there's likely gonna be like 20 people attending, I'm already starting to feel nervous about it... :ohdear:

This sounds like something that should be in the old Doom videogames.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

This sounds like something that should be in the old Doom videogames.

I think this must be the biggest and best compliment I've ever gotten for anything in my life. I'm serious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I think this must be the biggest and best compliment I've ever gotten for anything in my life. I'm serious.

You and Quirk both.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
It fits Underhalls well I like the trudging it gives off.

I'm trying to have a demo done like yesterday and have had to remake all my recent stuff from scratch, does this sound pretty good quality production wise for a demo?

http://tindeck.com/listen/tjgp
http://tindeck.com/listen/cjeo

Quirk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 6, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

hatelull posted:

Ogre had a few eye rolling turns*, especially as of late. Stream of consciousness style stuff is usually scoff worthy, but he gets away with it I think when its combined with the sound sculptures those boys pulled off in their peak. I've liked the odd line here and there from the latter material, but (to me) lyrically nothing can touch that Too Dark Park and Last Rights material.

* "Assimilate" is probably one of my favorite classic Puppy tracks, and up there in favorite songs in general. However, every time I hear it I still think the "rot and assimilate/so hot to annihilate" sounds weird. I think it's just his use of hot there that makes it sound cumbersome.

And we'll not discuss his rearranging of history to afford a rhyme for Kent State (at least he corrected himself in later live recordings).

If you're listening to / can understand industrial music lyrics, you're doing it wrong.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're listening to / can understand industrial music lyrics, you're doing it wrong.

An opinion where in I absolutely and strongly disagree.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I unabashedly enjoy 90s-era KMFDM lyrics.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor Zero posted:

This is usually the point in the discussion where someone quotes the lyrics for Shaven, by Funker Vogt. The first line is "Shaven cunts gently caress much more horny" and it doesn't really get better from there onwards.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is usually the point in the discussion where someone quotes the lyrics for Shaven, by Funker Vogt. The first line is "Shaven cunts gently caress much more horny" and it doesn't really get better from there onwards.

I know this for quite a while.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

It fits Underhalls well I like the trudging it gives off.

I'm trying to have a demo done like yesterday and have had to remake all my recent stuff from scratch, does this sound pretty good quality production wise for a demo?

http://tindeck.com/listen/tjgp
http://tindeck.com/listen/cjeo

You had to redo them again? Didn't you already have to do it twice before this or something :psyduck:

But yeah, these sound fantastic to me, studio quality stuff.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

I unabashedly enjoy 90s-era KMFDM lyrics.

And on the other end of the spectrum: Coil.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I also should have put a :haw: in there because I was only half serious.

However, see also every lyric by Terminal Choice.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You had to redo them again? Didn't you already have to do it twice before this or something :psyduck:

But yeah, these sound fantastic to me, studio quality stuff.

oh it's been maybe four or five... or more but who's counting :suicide: I got it this time. It's needed this long to bake anyways.

new http://tindeck.com/listen/tqpi
a year or so ago http://tindeck.com/listen/zcmn

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Quirk posted:

oh it's been maybe four or five... or more but who's counting :suicide: I got it this time. It's needed this long to bake anyways.

new http://tindeck.com/listen/tqpi
a year or so ago http://tindeck.com/listen/zcmn

Is it wrong for me to like the older mix better? Personally I think some of the rough analog texture that is really prevalent in the old mix gets lost in reverb and sampled acoustic drums in the new one.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

hatelull posted:

An opinion where in I absolutely and strongly disagree.

I agree with your disagreement. It depends on the band too. FLA I could never get into lyrically but I guess the music and ideas were there so you could overlook that. However something like Skinny Puppy required alot of thought. Like the other poster brought up, I always heard "hot" in Assimilate as in like 'hot headed'. So quick to jump the gun with war sort of thing. I mean, there is alot of open interpretation to that writing style, where as FLA is often random short statements and the meaning of the wording is kinda obvious despite being about weird topics.

90's KMFDM were a mixed bag of very thought provoking, chant-sing-a-long inducing lyrics mixed with self-indulgent pseudo band advertisements. Which worked really well for what they were.

PIG was pretty polarizing as it was very poetic, dark as sin, but if you hate that writing style of similar words/letters then it was probably too much. Frankly I loved it.

I think it's very cool to analyze different styles of writing in industrial music, given that it's such a off the wall genre you tend to find such gems here and there that most commercial music wouldn't dare try.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

spider_ross.avi posted:

Is it wrong for me to like the older mix better? Personally I think some of the rough analog texture that is really prevalent in the old mix gets lost in reverb and sampled acoustic drums in the new one.

that's fine, just the new one is the slick sound I've been aiming for the whole time. Ill still add stuff like guitar pickup noises and the "help me" sample during the bridge.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

I think it's very cool to analyze different styles of writing in industrial music, given that it's such a off the wall genre you tend to find such gems here and there that most commercial music wouldn't dare try.

This is one of thing that attracted me to the genre originally. Sure, the first Puppy I was exposed too was very much in the "creep out" vein, but then the lyrics were stream of consciousness style fare with no definite verse or chorus. You can get away with the lyrical style thanks to the song structure. Someone mentioned COIL earlier, and while they are all over the map in terms of lyrical quality they do have a few keen couplets that work pretty well. KFMDM, forever the hair metal of industrial music, have a lot of great songs that are fun to shout long with in a live setting but if you sit back and look for some deep message in "Light" you might be terribly disappointed. Having said that, "call 1 800 accept no imitations/KMFDM one world one nation" just sounds neat in an absolute juvenile way.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This album is loving amazing, it's past 2 AM and I just listened through it the third time in a row. gently caress. Every other FLA album I have (Caustic, Millennium, IED) is loving lame compared to this even when just a couple of days ago I thought they were pretty cool. Please tell me they have at least some other FLA albums more like this. I've got Tactical Neural Implant coming in the mail but now I'm afraid I won't care about it after listening to Civilization.

Tactical Neural Implant is easily the best thing Leeb ever did. It's also the only thing he ever did that I consider essential for any industrial fan. You don't have an industrial collection until TNI is in there somewhere.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

sethsez posted:

Tactical Neural Implant is easily the best thing Leeb ever did. It's also the only thing he ever did that I consider essential for any industrial fan. You don't have an industrial collection until TNI is in there somewhere.

Tactical Neural Implant was the first industrial I ever heard, and is absolutely the reason why industrial is still my genre of choice nearly twenty years later. God I love that album.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yesterday I got an email from the shop where I ordered TNI from and they told me it's long out of print :smith: So that's why it's not available anywhere. I was wondering why such an important album was so difficult to track down.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Yesterday I got an email from the shop where I ordered TNI from and they told me it's long out of print :smith: So that's why it's not available anywhere. I was wondering why such an important album was so difficult to track down.

I've had good luck with Amazon's used sellers for stuff like this (and they do have many copies of TNI for you if you don't mind going with them) and came up with this completely insane book.

Click here to view the full image

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Could always try eBay. You neeeed to get it!

boo_radley posted:

I've had good luck with Amazon's used sellers for stuff like this (and they do have many copies of TNI for you if you don't mind going with them) and came up with this completely insane book.

Click here to view the full image

What the hell, this is amazing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tactical-neural-implant/id216663097

Just saying.

I drank the kool-aid a while ago, as much as I hate iTunes for actual music playing/management. I've used it for every modern industrial album I want to listen to but am not 100% crazy about.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Speaking of FLA, what's up with their B-sides almost universally being their best songs?

edit: also, how fun is it when you're watching some lovely science fiction or horror movie and you recognize a sample from some song you jammed out to in high school? Man, I love that

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 8, 2011

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I agree. I don't hold near as much attachment to CD's as I would vinyl. Get it on iTunes for instant gratification. Also, I think Tactical Neural Implant is absolutely the best FLA album. Everything works.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't think TNI is the best FLA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What were those tape decks tape traders used to go nuts over? Nakamichis or something like that. I dubbed all my poo poo on a boombox even though you weren't supposed to do that and nobody ever complained. I did, however, have the common decency to turn off Dolby and dub at normal speed on the acceptable brands of tapes.