Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Where the hell does he get all of this time? He truly astonishes me with the amount and quality that he doing. Hopefully he doesn't get burned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He's kinda hinted that he will probably take a short break from writing after he finishes Wheel of Time.

And by break, I mean he will probably write 3-4 short stories, 2 novels, and 1 kids book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

calandryll posted:

Where the hell does he get all of this time?

Well, being a practicing Mormon kinda cuts down on your downtime options.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Holy gently caress, dude is writing like 200 novels in the next ten years.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I just finished Warbreaker too. It's totally awesome. My only complaint is really a product of reading too many Sanderson novels -- the structure is getting repetitive.

Step 1 - A new magic system and the strict rules of its use are presented.
Step 2 - A well functioning society is on the verge of social change!
Step 3 - A character mentally grapples with whether she should enjoy wearing pretty dresses.
Step 4 - A character struggles with what it means to be a good person.
Step 5 - A character tries to cope with the fact that what the world expects from him isn't what he wants!
Step 6 - While all the elements simmer, a good character comes up with a naive plan to change everything.
Step 7 - Just as this plan is about to be executed, a crazy twist happens!
Step 8 - Hey, remember that character from before? He's not who you thought he is!
Step 9 - Hey, remember that nubile young man? He's a thousand years old!
Step 10 - Hey, remember that evil bad guy? He's a good guy!
Step 11 - Hey, remember the weird quirks about that magic system? They all have clear explanations!
Step 12 - Everything is going badly, and evil is about to triumph!
Step 13 - Goku goes goes super-saiyan, radiates powerful light, Breathes, inscribes hidden Aeons, weaves Balefire, explodes with Stormlight, and absorbs the powers of falling Gods.
Step 14 - The day is saved! All elements of society now realize their proper place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I finished the mistborn trilogy last night, and I have to say it's impressive how much every little detail came together at the end. The earring and Spook's pewter were both big "loving duh, saw that coming a while ago" things, but I liked how the Kandra/Atium thing turned out. Actually, the whole Atium arc in general was great. I've heard people say the whole ending was foreshdowed by the first 100 or so pages, but I can't remember that part well enough to know if that's right or not. I wouldn't be shocked, though.Definitely a big fan.

Silenced Parrot
Dec 20, 2008

My god, it's full of Booze!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I finished the mistborn trilogy last night, and I have to say it's impressive how much every little detail came together at the end. The earring and Spook's pewter were both big "loving duh, saw that coming a while ago" things, but I liked how the Kandra/Atium thing turned out. Actually, the whole Atium arc in general was great. I've heard people say the whole ending was foreshdowed by the first 100 or so pages, but I can't remember that part well enough to know if that's right or not. I wouldn't be shocked, though.Definitely a big fan.

The most notable thing foreshadowed at the very beginning (like, VERY beginning) is that the Hero of Ages will have to use his arms or something like that to save the world, alluding to Sazed (or another feruchemist) being the Hero. It's been a while since I've read Mistborn, so that's the only one I blatantly recall besides the obvious things you've already mentioned.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

soru posted:

I just finished Warbreaker too. It's totally awesome. My only complaint is really a product of reading too many Sanderson novels -- the structure is getting repetitive.

Step 1 - A new magic system and the strict rules of its use are presented.
Step 2 - A well functioning society is on the verge of social change!
Step 3 - A character mentally grapples with whether she should enjoy wearing pretty dresses.
Step 4 - A character struggles with what it means to be a good person.
Step 5 - A character tries to cope with the fact that what the world expects from him isn't what he wants!
Step 6 - While all the elements simmer, a good character comes up with a naive plan to change everything.
Step 7 - Just as this plan is about to be executed, a crazy twist happens!
Step 8 - Hey, remember that character from before? He's not who you thought he is!
Step 9 - Hey, remember that nubile young man? He's a thousand years old!
Step 10 - Hey, remember that evil bad guy? He's a good guy!
Step 11 - Hey, remember the weird quirks about that magic system? They all have clear explanations!
Step 12 - Everything is going badly, and evil is about to triumph!
Step 13 - Goku goes goes super-saiyan, radiates powerful light, Breathes, inscribes hidden Aeons, weaves Balefire, explodes with Stormlight, and absorbs the powers of falling Gods.
Step 14 - The day is saved! All elements of society now realize their proper place.

To be fair, you could attribute many points to most of (Fantasy/SF) stories (who wants to read a story where nothing changes, nothing happens, nobody has to struggle with morals, everything is clear and the evil guys don't pose a threat and the plan of the good guys goes flawlessly?), many of the others aren't really there in more than one book and/or show that the story isn't as simple as it seems at first (usually a good thing). But yeah, he likes to reuse certain elements, but which writer doesn't?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

You saw those coming because he had been explaining Hemalurgy for the whole book. I liked the sense of dread that it leant to know exactly how wrong the characters were being.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

senae posted:

You saw those coming because he had been explaining Hemalurgy for the whole book. I liked the sense of dread that it leant to know exactly how wrong the characters were being.

I somehow never caught the earring on my first readthrough. I felt like such an idiot. It was such an obvious ploy, in retrospect, but I fell right into it.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
About 200 pages into WoK, quick question:

There are only ten Shardplates and ten Shardblades in the entire world, right? It seems like the royalty of the...Forget their race name, but the brilliant general, the brother of the assassinated king, etc, those guys...They have quite a few of the ten, it seems. And the assassin has one of the blades. That doesn't seem to leave very many unaccounted for.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

There are only ten Shardplates and ten Shardblades in the entire world, right? It seems like the royalty of the...Forget their race name, but the brilliant general, the brother of the assassinated king, etc, those guys...They have quite a few of the ten, it seems. And the assassin has one of the blades. That doesn't seem to leave very many unaccounted for.

There are a lot more. Later on in the book there will be a much better explanation, just hang in there.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Nice Boy posted:

no there are shitloads of shardblades and shardplates. There used to be entire armies who had them, although that is kind of inconsistent with the type of people who were in those armies, a conflict that will no doubt be central to the whole series.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Thanks.

Man, Sanderson is a cool dude. I added him to my Facebook, and unlike most authors, you can comment on his page. I asked him about his books, and within an hour he'd written me back. Seems like a damned fine fellow.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

A Nice Boy posted:

Thanks.

Man, Sanderson is a cool dude. I added him to my Facebook, and unlike most authors, you can comment on his page. I asked him about his books, and within an hour he'd written me back. Seems like a damned fine fellow.

Yeah he responded directly to some random twitter comment I made to him, too. Seems like a pretty nice guy.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

When Joe Abercrombie was here, he pretty much said the same thing. He doesn't drink or party, so all he does is write his own books with his left hand and write jordan books with his right. He was also jokingly angry at Brandon Sanderson for putting all the other fantasy authors in a bad light with the speed he was writing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

404GoonNotFound posted:

He still has cons where he'll play Magic until 3am. Being a Mormon doesn't mean in bed by 8, up writing by 6 or anything.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fordan posted:

He still has cons where he'll play Magic until 3am. Being a Mormon doesn't mean in bed by 8, up writing by 6 or anything.

So what you are saying is that he could write even more and basically should stop to slack off? I'm right with you!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

A Nice Boy posted:

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say to you that the ten are Dawnshards, not quite the same thing as a regular Shardblade. There are true differences, but they're not important to you right now.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Acidian posted:

When Joe Abercrombie was here, he pretty much said the same thing. He doesn't drink or party, so all he does is write his own books with his left hand and write jordan books with his right. He was also jokingly angry at Brandon Sanderson for putting all the other fantasy authors in a bad light with the speed he was writing.

Apparently this is a slight misconception, according to him. He wrote an interesting blog post about how, before he got popular, he had a lot of books written or half written, and as his stuff got famous the publisher started picking up books he'd written years before. Warbreaker was like this, like 95 percent done with just editing needed. So, he said it seemed like he was writing at a superhuman rate when in fact a lot of it was that he'd written the stuff a long time ago and it didn't get picked up until he made it big because of WoT/etc.

He also said that he'd burned through his backlog of stuff that he had, and the book flow would slow way down now...For example, no book in 2011 after years of 1-2 books per year. That said, he did say that AMoL and WoK2 will be out in 2012, hopefully. But yeah, he's now going to publish at an Erikson pace (1 book a year on average) as opposed to the crazy pace he's been at the last five years or so.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

the new mistborn book is coming out this year, but its admittedly rather short.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ika posted:

I'm pretty sure it got expanded to full blown novel status. He originally intended it to be short, but then just kinda kept writing and writing. It may not be quite as long as the first Mistborn book or Elantris, but it should be a decent length. (I hope so as the wait between this and the last WOT book will be soul crushingly long...) :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ika posted:

I think it's supposed to be around 400 or so pages, last I heard. I'm pretty psyched for it, it'll be cool to see how he handles Allomancy with the higher tech stuff. Even if I'm still a little dissapointed there's no Spook as a mistborn sequel. I don't really get why the end of the mistborn trilogy had Sazed as god being like "Hey Spook, you're a mistborn now, k?" and then nothing's really going to come from it. Eh, maybe it'll come up as some sort of historical thing in the sequels.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

I think it's supposed to be around 400 or so pages, last I heard. I'm pretty psyched for it, it'll be cool to see how he handles Allomancy with the higher tech stuff. Even if I'm still a little dissapointed there's no Spook as a mistborn sequel. I don't really get why the end of the mistborn trilogy had Sazed as god being like "Hey Spook, you're a mistborn now, k?" and then nothing's really going to come from it. Eh, maybe it'll come up as some sort of historical thing in the sequels.

I think Sanderson has stated that spook took charge in the new world so his descendent will likely be running the show and anyway the main character is likely a direct descendent of one of the crew members anyway breeze using his birth name, likely DeMoux as well given that its the earliest the Allomantic and Feruchemical bloodlines converged

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Loving AWoK so far. How self contained is it? Is it setting up a lot of hanging plot points, or is there a good, satisfying conclusion? I hope so, as waiting till next year for book 2 is going to blow.

About 400 pages in, and:

Kaladin = rad
Dalinar = rad
That one chick = less rad

Glad it's just the two dudes in part 2 of book 1.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
It's a satisfying book, but it definitely leaves you craving the next one. Though I actually liked Shallan's chapters (there's not much about Way of Kings that I didn't like), I think she'll be better in future books when she's less detached from the rest of the story.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really liked the one-off chapters that fleshed out the rest of the world. They felt like good breaks from the rest of the narrative and kept me from burning out on the story.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

A Nice Boy posted:

That one chick = less rad

She's pretty rad, actually.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

arioch posted:

She's pretty rad, actually.

Good. I should have said "thus far."

The only gripe I have with the book/characters so far is her character, and that's mostly because she's supposed to be really witty and funny, but all her "funny" lines in part1book1 come off as forced and not really that clever. It was like Sanderson was trying to write a funny character, and just tried too hard. Maybe she'll get better.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

A Nice Boy posted:

The only gripe I have with the book/characters so far is her character, and that's mostly because she's supposed to be really witty and funny, but all her "funny" lines in part1book1 come off as forced and not really that clever. It was like Sanderson was trying to write a funny character, and just tried too hard. Maybe she'll get better.

Contrasted to Wit, who comes off quite organically as witty and clever, I almost have to wonder if he's purposefully forcing it with her to show that she thinks she's witty, but she's really not. I haven't read it since release week and my memory is terrible, so I can't say if the book would back this idea up or if it's just legitimately bad characterization.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I found Wit to be equally unfunny and have the same opinion whenever Breeze is trying to prove how clever he is. I chalk it up to Sanderson being a terribly nice person and not actually having any understanding of what sarcasm or wit is.

Just to be more specific on Wit, I felt when he was hurling insults, they were terribly unfunny and often painful to read. When he was pointing out a character's flaws, he was spot on. One requires you to be clever, the other just honest.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Haraksha posted:

I found Wit to be equally unfunny and have the same opinion whenever Breeze is trying to prove how clever he is.

Truly, MY DEAR BOY????

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dammit, just started on Hero of Ages and, being on a school trip and incredibly busy, have no time to read it outside of bus trips. I can sense the Sanderson Avalanche coming though. Mistborn owns.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Haraksha posted:

I really liked the one-off chapters that fleshed out the rest of the world. They felt like good breaks from the rest of the narrative and kept me from burning out on the story.

Yeah. I especially liked the guy who was trying to research new types of spren. I actually wish he had been a recurring character (though I suppose he could well be in future books).

Edit: loving autocorrect.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah. I especially liked the guy who was trying to research new types of spren. I actually wish he had been a recurring character (though I suppose he could well be in future books).

Edit: loving autocorrect.

I really like the idea of having a few side charecters like him whose story only gets told in short segments throughout the books. Perhaps they can interact with the main charecters down the line.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Haraksha posted:

I found Wit to be equally unfunny and have the same opinion whenever Breeze is trying to prove how clever he is. I chalk it up to Sanderson being a terribly nice person and not actually having any understanding of what sarcasm or wit is.

Just to be more specific on Wit, I felt when he was hurling insults, they were terribly unfunny and often painful to read. When he was pointing out a character's flaws, he was spot on. One requires you to be clever, the other just honest.

I'd agree that his insults weren't clever, but the fact that he was making them fit much better with his character. Shallan trying to be witty at all just seemed forced.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dammit, just started on Hero of Ages and, being on a school trip and incredibly busy, have no time to read it outside of bus trips. I can sense the Sanderson Avalanche coming though. Mistborn owns.

Once I hit the halfway point in all three books in the trilogy, I literally read straight to the end in one go because I couldn't put it down. HoA, especially. Just wait, it's awesome. The ending was just one :drat: moment after another.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

A Nice Boy posted:

The Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were borderline unreadable because of this kind of dialogue. I love Sanderson but the man just doesn't have an ear for humor.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rootbeer Baron posted:

The Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were borderline unreadable because of this kind of dialogue. I love Sanderson but the man just doesn't have an ear for humor.

I dunno, I kinda liked the "homicidal hat trick" line in HoA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
He's not the worst but he really loves that 1920s style back and forth funny dialogue that comes off as cheesy at best like 90% of the time. He can get some good lines in but by the time I see them I've been inundated with repetitive fluff for the past 5 pages so I'm less likely to care.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure there's lots of people who his humor works for.