Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I've got a G5 that's starting to go (actually the rubber on the mouse wheel has completely gone and is now actually causing physical irritation to my fingers!) and Logitech won't replace it under warranty because I don't have proof of purchase since it was a gift.

Looking at either the G500 or X8. Any comparisons between the two besides the X8 being wireless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Jam2 posted:

MOUSEMATS

Can you guys recommend anything that meets these criteria?

A SteelSeries QCK should do the trick. You can buy small, medium, large and XL sizes. They're about 2mm thick so should slip between a closed laptop.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I love WoWpad's, they're ultra-thin and don't move much on the right surface (most desks, probably glass, haven't tried on anything plastic or veneer). Literally, almost as thin as a few sheets of paper. You don't notice it is there, and it's a great tracking surface. They're on Amazon (only place I've found them reliably).

I've used an MX518 for years, but upon the cord starting to wear and it cutting in and out, I upgraded myself to a Logitech MX5500 Wireless set, and I must say that I am loving the mouse, I've been using the keyboard for a WHILE (got one from work, without a mouse), but the mouse is the best feature of the set!

I'm not normally for wireless, but let me tell you, this thing has changed my mind, and not being a hardcore gamer as much anymore, I can appreciate its features a little more. If they made an exact copy in wired form, I would be all over it as my next go-to mouse, besides the MX518 (still one of my favorite mice I have yet to use, besides the MS IntelliExplorer or whatever they're called anymore.)

The side-scroll button is a little bit of a new idea to me, but otherwise it is a fantastic piece of hardware. I would highly recommend the set to anyone who doesn't mind wireless, and the rechargeable fact is the best, however I hate that the cord on the charger is not modular....I was unable to run my charger through the little hole on my desk, and since my desk is built into my wall....I had to place it elsewhere...not a big deal, but it's a little irritating that in this day and age they didn't think of that on such an expensive hardware set.

Highly recommend MX518 for wired, or MX5500 for wireless.

JAM2: I would get a WoWpad, they're loving awesome for putting into a laptop bag, and they have them in all sizes. I got one that is 10x12 personally, and I know they make both larger and smaller, so I'm sure you would find something to suit your needs. They're fantastic. A coworker turned me onto these things a few months back, and I doubt I would choose otherwise anymore.

e: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wowpad&x=0&y=0 I actually have an 11.5x12.5", my mistake. These are them though, few shapes and sizes for you to pick. $10 can't be beat either.

Doctor Bud fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 13, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ragingsheep posted:

I've got a G5 that's starting to go (actually the rubber on the mouse wheel has completely gone and is now actually causing physical irritation to my fingers!) and Logitech won't replace it under warranty because I don't have proof of purchase since it was a gift.

Looking at either the G500 or X8. Any comparisons between the two besides the X8 being wireless?

I went from a G5 to a G500 and found it to be a good blend between the 518 and the G5 with some nice added stuff (mostly free scrolling). I like having my extra thumb button back, and I like being able to bump the DPI from 3000 to 5700 for games where the mouse bogs down when you're using a mounted weapon (Battlefield).

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Half a year ago I bought a Logitech corded USB mouse for $10 at Target and recently the left clicker started bugging out and registering twice at a time on occasion or a bunch of times when held down. This sucks when playing any video game so I called Logitech up and the guy is sending a newer model of the mouse that costs $20, and they don't want the old mouse back. :c00l:
I could have got any mouse of theirs between 20 and 30 bucks, and it was the most expensive corded one. I'm afraid of wireless mice and having to change batteries or them being unresponsive. Am I unreasonably afraid of technology in this case?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Fun Times! posted:

Half a year ago I bought a Logitech corded USB mouse for $10 at Target and recently the left clicker started bugging out and registering twice at a time on occasion or a bunch of times when held down. This sucks when playing any video game so I called Logitech up and the guy is sending a newer model of the mouse that costs $20, and they don't want the old mouse back. :c00l:
I could have got any mouse of theirs between 20 and 30 bucks, and it was the most expensive corded one. I'm afraid of wireless mice and having to change batteries or them being unresponsive. Am I unreasonably afraid of technology in this case?

I've been using a Logitech MX700 for a good five years now, no problems at all, except for the same left-clicker problem on occasion. (Which you can solve by banging the bottom flat of the mouse against the wall or against your hand)

If the batteries do run out, 15 seconds on the charger keeps it running for another couple of minutes until you can switch the batteries out. With newish fully charged batteries, a full charge lasts about a week.

Wireless mice have come along to the point where as long as there's a reasonably clear line of sight to the receiver, there's no issues at all. A good wireless mouse is much better than a cheap corded one.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Any suggestions on a gaming mouse that has the unlockable wheel scroll like the Logitech G9 mice but has better grips and/or ergonomics. Any rubber coated mouse it seems like I rub off the coating because I have an irritating habit of moving my thumb over the same point again and again. Something not prone to peeling the coating off would be ideal.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Sointenly posted:

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else, went a few pages in and didn't see anything on Peripherals.

So my awesome Logitech MX 5000 laser mouse finally stopped holding a charge after 3 years.

I've been looking to some of the higher end gaming mice...

Logitech G9/G9x
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Microsoft Sidewinder
Razer Lachesis

All of them seem to have the most of the qualities that I loved about the MX5000; Heavier feel, rechargeable, ergonomic, good side button placement.

BUT... $100... really?

Just wondering what the consensus is on these higher end setups? are they even worth consideration?

Would appreciate some feedback on what you're using as well.

For a while I had a weird hobby of buying gaming mice. I have a bunch of razers. I really like the Lachesis. My favorite of all has to be the steelseries xai. Just a great mouse in general.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Raunchy posted:

For a while I had a weird hobby of buying gaming mice. I have a bunch of razers. I really like the Lachesis. My favorite of all has to be the steelseries xai. Just a great mouse in general.

How heavy is it? I got a fancy logitech mouse but it's got too much weight to it, I want something I can whip around without resistance.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Someone bought me a Razer Mamba as a gift, and it's pretty awesome. Not $130 awesome, but I think it's pretty great.

It's incredibly accurate, and the battery lasts about 6 hours of constant FPS gameplay. It also looks pretty neat.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I bought the G500 and I really don't like it. I thought it would be nice since I have bigger hands. But it is just too big and a pain for RTS play + it is still too heavy with the weights out. The thumb rest material is starting to peel from use.

Probably okay for general use but it sucks for RTS play ;_; Any suggestions on a new one?

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Logitech is truly the best company. I was ready to shell out the $100 for a new mouse after my years out of warranty G7 broke, but they're replacing it free of charge without me having to send the old one in (or even provide proof of purchase).

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
I just recently got involved in purchasing gaming peripherals for my computer. Which is weird because I built my gaming box years ago and have been keeping it updated ever since. After some not so extensive research, as far as a mouse goes, I went with the R.A.T. 7 and I absolutely love it. I didn't need or even want wireless so I immediately saved money there and google found it for $85 USD after shipping. I expected to pay $100.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Microsoft is just as awesome with their warranties, I just recently called in the warranty on my 3rd intellimouse explorer 3, which is discontinued now, and got upgraded to a wireless lazer mouse 6000. I even had the option to pick a more expensive mouse than this one.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

membranoid posted:

Microsoft is just as awesome with their warranties, I just recently called in the warranty on my 3rd intellimouse explorer 3, which is discontinued now, and got upgraded to a wireless lazer mouse 6000. I even had the option to pick a more expensive mouse than this one.

What happened to the intellimouse?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I'm pretty sure you can still buy Intellimouse Explorer 3.0s. I don't know why you'd accept an "upgrade" either, this is the best mouse ever.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Jam2 posted:
MOUSEMATS

Can you guys recommend anything that meets these criteria?

I am looking for a mousepad that has a nice wrist rest so my hand does fall off. I'd like it to have improved tracking and I need it to be an XL size but I dont feel like just because I invested $70 into a mouse I have to invest at least $30 for a decent mousepad

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
I realize you can still buy them, I bought another after the warranty exchange, but they're discontinued in the fact that MS doesn't seem to be actively producing them, and they were nowhere to be found in the list of 50 or so replacements I was shown.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Has anyone tried the Asus Xtion upgraded "kinnect" IR/depth only sensor?
There's a local shop selling them and they claim it works perfectly for desktop use and rts/rpg games straight out of the box with a 80-350cm effective capture range. One guy in the shop said he was working on an FPS app for it that kinda works with TF2,L4D2 and other source engine games. Sadly he's having some difficulty getting every control mapped without making the player look like a retard being asked if he really wants to go to disneyland right NOW!

I can't find any reviews for actually using the thing, everything seems to be aimed at developers or pushing the online app store for it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's not yet widely available, nor even released in the US. I imagine that after release, it will get a lot more development.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Looking into it a bit more it's £144 including VAT compared to £118 for the Kinnect.
It has a higher res IR depth sensor than the Kinnect but lacks the microphone, full colour camera and so on.

On the plus side it works as a pointer replacement out of the box with palm clicking and gestures for media/folder controls with just the basic drivers at a shorter range than Kinnect. It also supports Microsoft's multi-mouse API for apps and Silverlight interactive displays.
Compare that with requiring three separate 3rd party installers to use the Kinnect as a pointing device with Win7. Not to mention all the version conflicts so you can't just go to the three different sites and grab the latest installers.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lįstima
My Logitech Mx300 just broke. I've been using it for almost 10 years. Before using this mouse I had used a Microsoft intellimouse with a ball so you can see I am picky and partial to mice. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I don't really want a lot of buttons on my mouse, I just want something that is comfortable and works well.

These appear to be similar to what I am looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-6000/S7J-00001#overview
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Abyssus-Precision-Optical-Gaming/dp/B002XLR0JI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/basic-optical-mouse/P58-00022
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

Anyone have any experience with the above?

Also, whatever this thing is it is way too advanced for me: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/touch-mouse/3KJ-00001

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Medikit posted:

My Logitech Mx300 just broke. I've been using it for almost 10 years. Before using this mouse I had used a Microsoft intellimouse with a ball so you can see I am picky and partial to mice. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I don't really want a lot of buttons on my mouse, I just want something that is comfortable and works well.

These appear to be similar to what I am looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-6000/S7J-00001#overview
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Abyssus-Precision-Optical-Gaming/dp/B002XLR0JI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/basic-optical-mouse/P58-00022
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

Anyone have any experience with the above?

Also, whatever this thing is it is way too advanced for me: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/touch-mouse/3KJ-00001

It's sort of a long shot for a ten y/o mouse, but you could try contacting Logitech and politely asking if it can be fixed. I read a lot of their (and other sites') support forums after I bought my Performance MX and the one thing that convinced me to keep it was so many people saying how good their return policies were. There's a slim chance they'd replace yours. Satisfying a picky customer generates a lot of positive press to offset some of the bad stuff about screwy scroll wheels, I think.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
^^^^ Do this.

I agree its a longshot, but Logitech have some of the best support in the industry and hear stories of them going further then expected, so there's no reason why they won't for you.

Just don't expect a MX300 in return (might get what you consider a pleasant upgrade).

I have a broken MX310 I'd try and turn in if Logitech made any ambidextrous mice suitable for gaming nowadays.

Failing all of the above, from what I hear you can't really go wrong with a MX518 (not tried it as I'm a lefty). I'd avoid the MS mice if you're looking to game with them.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Microsoft WMO is the closest I've seen to an MX300 in Kalashnikovesque reliability and performance. It's kind of thick compared to an MX300, though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Medikit posted:

You could try looking for a Logitech G1. It seems to be a model that's only really distributed in Korea, however, so you'd have to hop on eBay and order one from Starcraftland to get one. However it pretty much looks exactly alike a MX300 in all but color layout, and I'm often trying to resist breaking down and buying one so that when my MX300 reaches its limit I have a similar mouse to fall back onto.

Logitech's LS1 looks like it keeps the same general shape of the MX300, but I don't think it has the extra button, and it includes a tilt wheel. Not sure how the overall quality is on those, though.

edit: Screw it, buying an LS1 on eBay. I'll get a trip report done later.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 7, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

weapey posted:

I have a broken MX310 I'd try and turn in if Logitech made any ambidextrous mice suitable for gaming nowadays.

I busted out my mx310 the other day, can't believe it still works perfectly.

the anywhere MX is ambidextrous but you lose the side buttons, but then again I haven't actually used side buttons for gaming in years. middle mouse for nades and clicky scroll is good enough for me.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp
I got used to using mouse5 under my thumb for push-to-talk, so it's sort of a requirement now. Currently rocking a LH Deathadder, which is fine except for a sensitive wheel, and sometimes mouse4 jams (which is reload for me).

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weapey posted:

I got used to using mouse5 under my thumb for push-to-talk, so it's sort of a requirement now. Currently rocking a LH Deathadder, which is fine except for a sensitive wheel, and sometimes mouse4 jams (which is reload for me).

what game? I used to be pretty compulsive about rebinding EVERYTHING but ever since about the last mw game the default layouts have all been perfect.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

thrawn86 posted:

what game? I used to be pretty compulsive about rebinding EVERYTHING but ever since about the last mw game the default layouts have all been perfect.

I play CS:S (in leagues etc, so I use voice comms), and been playing for so long with thumb buttons I 'need' them now. It limits my options on what mice to buy, as there's some great ambidextrous Razer mice I would otherwise pick up.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weapey posted:

I play CS:S (in leagues etc, so I use voice comms), and been playing for so long with thumb buttons I 'need' them now. It limits my options on what mice to buy, as there's some great ambidextrous Razer mice I would otherwise pick up.

I always figured for actual "pro" play you'd just use a well-tuned auto setting instead of push to talk. what do pro mouse controls look like? (serious question). I'm a "fingertip" mouser so the world of gamers who require 2 feet of travel to do a 360 is alien to me.

the day I weaned myself off of using every goddamn button on my mx310 for everything imaginable was a great day.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I found the Holy Grail of mice on sale at Best Buy for $40 this week. MX518 love is totally justified, I'm in love with this thing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Critical posted:

I found the Holy Grail of mice on sale at Best Buy for $40 this week. MX518 love is totally justified, I'm in love with this thing.

It's a fantastic mouse, isn't it? As great as it is, I would probably kill for an MX518 with the G5's matte finish though. The slick finish of the 518 never suited me, I always found it sticky, but I always wished the G5 had the two thumb buttons instead of just one.

Actually, I wonder if that part of the mouse could be swapped.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

thrawn86 posted:

I always figured for actual "pro" play you'd just use a well-tuned auto setting instead of push to talk. what do pro mouse controls look like? (serious question). I'm a "fingertip" mouser so the world of gamers who require 2 feet of travel to do a 360 is alien to me.

the day I weaned myself off of using every goddamn button on my mx310 for everything imaginable was a great day.

Although I'm far from "pro" (I won't ever make a penny from this game) I do go to LANs, and auto-transmit quickly stops being awesome and starts being a massive pain in the rear end to everyone other than yourself when you're in a noisy hall and everyone has to scream about everything. I used to have auto-transmit on at home, but people would always moan about me clacking away on my keyboard, or the door opening/closing to my office.

There is no "winner" config for any FPS, it's just what you're comfortable with. I use PL;' as my WASD keys because I'm left handed and use my right-hand with the keyboard, so I am definitely not the person to talk to when it comes to their FPS configuration.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

It's a fantastic mouse, isn't it? As great as it is, I would probably kill for an MX518 with the G5's matte finish though. The slick finish of the 518 never suited me, I always found it sticky, but I always wished the G5 had the two thumb buttons instead of just one.

maybe something like this would work?

http://lifehacker.com/5709251/give-your-iphone-a-matte-brushed-finish-with-sandpaper

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

thrawn86 posted:

maybe something like this would work?

http://lifehacker.com/5709251/give-your-iphone-a-matte-brushed-finish-with-sandpaper

Now that's a pretty good idea. I'll pick one of these mice up and try that. If it doesn't work, it's what, $45 to find out if the perfect mouse actually exists?

I'm gonna do it. I'll report back with what happens.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

GreatGreen posted:

Uhh G5 has two thumb buttons

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The original G5 didn't though, which is probably what he remembers. I already have an MX518, but when I saw the MX518 on offer in a store for cheaper than anywhere I could find it online, I got myself a spare! I noticed on the newer revision, it has nice, large feet that don't look like they'll fall off, which is a nice tweak.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 9, 2011

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

GreatGreen posted:

The slick finish of the 518 never suited me, I always found it sticky, but I always wished the G5 had the two thumb buttons instead of just one.
We are replacing the MX518 with the G400, which does not have a glossy keyplate. It still has the soft-touch sides, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
What? Ah christ! I should have known there was a reason MX518s were being sold off. MX518 with even better tracking (is that possible?) and a clean looking matte finish on the top? Sounds like perfect, small refinements, and I'm sure it'll be a highly successful mouse. I know I'll buy one when my replacement MX518 breaks, although that will probably be after the sun fades out going by my current one..

I'm glad a fancy wheel wasn't added, or any tilt features. I still remember having an MX1000 and getting frustrated at the fact I would click the mouse wheel to one side instead of straight down.. Also, moving your middle finger left and right is such a ridiculously cumbersome movement

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2011