Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Iron-man hockey, brosef. I've had more than a few games where only five guys show up. We played a dump-and-mosey offensive system. Good times.

e: Oh, so you technically had 6 on the bench? I presume you just played it drop-in style?

Nope, this was league play and a player on the other team volunteered so we could have one sub. I always liked tons of minutes but at some point it gets ridiculous. I have played back to back games but than is a breeze compared to playing with a single sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Practice 1

Practice 2

Practice 3

Maybe I'm getting better? I haven't looked at my last videos to compare but I'll do that now. It's like 105 degrees in my backyard so I haven't got a lot of practice in today. Maybe when it cools off I'll head back out.

EDIT: indeed I think I am getting a bit better about keeping my hands in front longer and snapping my wrists over. I was also much more precise today; Most all of my shots were going to the same place instead of sometimes half of them going wide. I really think I'm getting the hang of it and more practice should help me bring all this stuff together.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2011

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Practice 1

Practice 2

Practice 3

Maybe I'm getting better? I haven't looked at my last videos to compare but I'll do that now. It's like 105 degrees in my backyard so I haven't got a lot of practice in today. Maybe when it cools off I'll head back out.

EDIT: indeed I think I am getting a bit better about keeping my hands in front longer and snapping my wrists over. I was also much more precise today; Most all of my shots were going to the same place instead of sometimes half of them going wide. I really think I'm getting the hang of it and more practice should help me bring all this stuff together.

It looks better but GODDAMMIT Lawnie :argh: that goal is not your friend, get mad at it. The goal stole your girlfriend.

And as always, play music Iron Maiden while practicing, especially alone. It seriously helps.

The shot at about :48 seconds of the third video looked pretty drat perfect. Hot days can suck when you shoot hundreds of shots, I learned to finally enjoy it.

WouldDesk fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 7, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

WouldDesk posted:

It looks better but GODDAMMIT Lawnie :argh: that goal is not your friend, get mad at it. The goal stole your girlfriend.

And as always, play music Iron Maiden while practicing, especially alone. It seriously helps.

The shot at about :48 seconds of the third video looked pretty drat perfect. Hot days can suck when you shoot hundreds of shots, I learned to finally enjoy it.

Alright FINE I will download some Iron Maiden and play it next time I'm practicing.

oddly enough I considered printing out a picture of my ex-girlfriend and putting it in the goal because that would just be funny

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Lawnie posted:

oddly enough I considered printing out a picture of my ex-girlfriend and putting it in the goal because that would just be funny
:stare:

Anyway, so I'm going to buy new skates because mine are too big and I think it will help me skate better to buy new ones.

My options for $150 are these Bauer Vapor skates that regular $235 that are 40% off or these used Graf skates that apparently retail $500 that I can get used for $150.

The guy at the store said that they were in really really really good condition, almost like new. The guy at Al's Sports told me that I should not buy a product from him and instead go to Play it Again sports where I found the Graf's and try to find a $500 pair of skates for $150 like I did.

The guy at play it again said it was a rarity to get skates like that in such good condition.

So what should I do? Grab the $235 bauer vapors 2010 model new or the Graf $500 used for $150?

Also, I got myself sized up and hockey skates wise I'm a size 9 lol.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
there's nothing wrong with burying my deep-seated resentment towards someone deep down until i can fling hockey pucks at it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Alright FINE I will download some Iron Maiden and play it next time I'm practicing.

Wasted Years (for your ex :v:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwB9zg7Tbx8

The Trooper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBo0s4CbvM

Aces High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GghCs_C65v0

Run to the Hills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M149WTrkNR8

The Number of the Beast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

You know, I was just going to link 1 or 2, but pretty much anything by them owns and didn't want to leave anything out.

I pretty much never pay attention to the music that plays during game stoppages, but I can always pick out the Iron Maiden, Metallica and :regd10:.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Blinks posted:

:words:
Well, if you got a video camera and a shooting board and can get some footage of yourself shooting (like Lawnie, here), we can definitely have a look at that. Would probably be the most helpful.

It's really hard to figure out what you're doing, especially since you can lift your slapshot. How hard is your slapper?

Lawnie posted:

VIDEOS
Well, how do you feel about the shot? Do you find it's going faster? Fast enough? Feel like it's progress? It's definitely progress. Almost there.

You're still releasing a little bit early (for my liking, at least). Try really exagerrating the drill. Like, really exagerrate. When the blade is at your front foot, whatever it takes to have as extreme an angle as you can. If it means lifting up your shoulder and straightening your elbow a little, then do it. With that blade at your front foot (during the drill), you want to still be in a position to be able to flex the stick with your bottom hand. In fact, you may want to try incorporating flexing the stick into the whole drill.

I'm looking at your shot, and honestly it looks pretty good almost all the way through, but there's still a bit of nag/awkwardness at the back of my mind. It took me awhile to figure out what it is, but I think it's this: your bottom elbow is straight/not flexed enough. Definitely want it bent, and it shouldn't straighten out until you're following through. I think it'll help with the wrist turnover, weight transfer and your blade angle. I hope.

I think if not for that elbow, woulda looked perfect to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Blinks posted:

I've been playing at a low level for the last four years. In the UK hockey is a minority sport, and we don't get decent ice time slots (usually midnight slots and at £10 an hour, which is equivalent to $18).

Because of the ice time issues, I've had a hard time mastering some skills (for my level) but my positioning is good for a stay at home D-man, and I can make decent passes, shoot a decent slapper from the blue, but the one thing I can't do and not for the lack of trying, is lift the puck on a wristy.

I've tried the flick technique, as described by my coaches, and I've tried the scoop technique ( but that just lacks any kind of power and accuracy). I can lift it on my slapshot, and snapshot but with a wristshot I can't seem to do it. I know this has probably been covered here already, apologies for asking for the advice but after a 2/3 year absence from this forum I figured it would be nice to get some tips from every day guys, even if it is pointing me to the right page to view in this thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Blinks

I highly recommend doing what I've been doing the last 2 weeks or so, and that is taking video of myself shooting and posting it here. Seriously, my shot is like 1000% better because of it (no really, like actually 10 times better than it was when I started).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think it's been said in the thread, but these shooting mats are nothing but HDPE, yeah?

I've sourced a guy in SoCal that has 48"x96" sheets for $40 + shipping. Seems like a very good price. Just want to make sure it's what i need before I order it.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
If he is in socal let me know if that's right and I'll come pick some up too since I'm local.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

I think it's been said in the thread, but these shooting mats are nothing but HDPE, yeah?

I've sourced a guy in SoCal that has 48"x96" sheets for $40 + shipping. Seems like a very good price. Just want to make sure it's what i need before I order it.

A quick google says that it indeed is simply HDPE...

which I wish I knew my dad could get for me really cheap. flooring salesman :negative:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

sellouts posted:

I did not know either but...

Nice find though, I would love to cover room floor with it and lock myself inside.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Glad I was able to facilitate you using that lmgtfy link.

I googled it beforehand but trust the people in this thread more than a google result when it comes to selling what amounts to a gimmicky training device for a sport. Too much bogus information and I've never had the problem of not having ice time often enough to practice until recently.

Ace I'll let you know, I think it's in Orange County.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
:siren: Sharks Argument Stadium! :siren:
I am going to be at the Thursday Noon Gretzky hour at Sharks Ice giving a couple of friends of mine a chance to practice their sweetest EE dekes in a nonstop breakaway competition. So please, if you see a dude that looks like this:

shoot me in the face. I enjoy it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser, trilljester:

I'll be in San Jose next Friday night. Want to grab a beer and talk about puck? I'll probably be hanging out with Gabe Desjardins.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Alizee posted:

skate stuff

If anyone can give me their opinion on which skates I should buy that'd be sweet cause I'm considering buying them tomorrow.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Alizee posted:

If anyone can give me their opinion on which skates I should buy that'd be sweet cause I'm considering buying them tomorrow.
A. Play It Again are loving assholes. In general.
B. If the $500 Grafs don't fit your foot, then they won't be worth the $150 you pay for them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alizee posted:

I don't have much in the way of specific suggestions, just normal skate buying advice:

Don't buy anything without trying them on and walking around for 20-30 minutes. Stand with weight on your toes, stand on one foot.. basically whatever you can do to put some stress on your feet and get an idea how it'll feel when you're on the ice. Pay special attention to pressure points.. like around the joint of your big toe or the fat part of your foot. If there's a slight rub it's okay, the heat treating will fix it. But heat treating won't make the wrong skate fit.

If you can, get measured for Graf skates. They have a custom system of measurement, and their models are based on foot shape more than anything. The Bauer is going to have a more "one size fits all" shape.

Don't get fixated on the cost, the $500 graf is going to have higher end materials, but depending on how much skating you plan on doing, it may not matter (better materials mostly result in a stiffer and more durable boot).

Go with whichever skate is more comfortable after 20 minutes of wearing them, before heat treating.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alizee posted:

In the store or online?

If online, there are some sweet deals about (Easton S17 and the entire outgoing Bauer Vapor series).

If in the store, what is your price point?

edit - also what I'm going to say next will probably mimic the OP

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Alizee posted:

What are the Bauer skates, X:30s? Try them both on and go with what feels better.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I don't remember the specific model of Bauer Vapor's that I was looking at but they were regular 235 on sale for 155. The 2010 models.

My price point is $150.

I guess I'll go try them both on and see what feels better. Right now just based on personal bias and a few friends I'm swayed towards the Bauer's just because I like buying things new and I know the Bauer brand well and I'm worried that because Graf fits to people's individual foot that they'll be really off with me.

We'll see though I guess. Also I like the look of the Bauer's better :p

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alizee posted:

I don't remember the specific model of Bauer Vapor's that I was looking at but they were regular 235 on sale for 155. The 2010 models.

My price point is $150.

I guess I'll go try them both on and see what feels better. Right now just based on personal bias and a few friends I'm swayed towards the Bauer's just because I like buying things new and I know the Bauer brand well and I'm worried that because Graf fits to people's individual foot that they'll be really off with me.

We'll see though I guess. Also I like the look of the Bauer's better :p

To be honest, $150 is probably too low for new skates if you're looking for something new. If you can up your price to get a pair of the outgoing X:40s I would recommend that (probably $200 if you're diligent on ebay, here for example), otherwise I think you'll be better off buying used.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

It's probably X:30s since I think the 20s were cheaper than that and the 40s are $250 on discount right now. X:30s are just fine for beginner skates IMO, if they fit you well that is.

edit: Bewbies knows more about playing hockey than I do so you should probably listen to him over me but I am skating on my old X:20 skates right now because my X:40s are busted and they do ok and the x:30s are a little nicer. Really sucks downgrading after you've used a nicer skate though.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 9, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I haven't bought a new pair of skates in so long. Breaking in a new pair of skates is the worst.

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011
I'm getting in shape over the summer and going out for my school's club team. I played roller hockey for a couple years, I can ice skate decently (slowly) enough, and I've watched the game enough to be able to know what to do out on the ice.

My problem is that I need fitness, and I need equipment. Right now I'm around 5'10, 198, with most of that being fat. I plan on doing cardio mostly at the gym until I'm around 180 or 175, then I'll focus on weight training. I'm still growing, so I don't know how tall I'll be when I start playing. What should I focus on in the gym, after getting into decent shape?

The equipment will be tougher. Since I'm still in school and have to rely on my parents for everything, they won't pay for it unless I put that much of a commitment into getting back into shape and showing work ethic. I basically need starter equipment. In your opinions, what is the cheapest and best option for a beginner ice hockey player?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Make sure to strengthen your knees so you don't gently caress them up like I did. hth

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Tarasenko Tank posted:

The equipment will be tougher. Since I'm still in school and have to rely on my parents for everything, they won't pay for it unless I put that much of a commitment into getting back into shape and showing work ethic. I basically need starter equipment. In your opinions, what is the cheapest and best option for a beginner ice hockey player?

If you live in an area with decent hockey stores go check them out right now, there might still be 2010 clearance stuff in stock but it will be way thin in the fall.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tarasenko Tank posted:

I'm getting in shape over the summer and going out for my school's club team. I played roller hockey for a couple years, I can ice skate decently (slowly) enough, and I've watched the game enough to be able to know what to do out on the ice.

My problem is that I need fitness, and I need equipment. Right now I'm around 5'10, 198, with most of that being fat. I plan on doing cardio mostly at the gym until I'm around 180 or 175, then I'll focus on weight training. I'm still growing, so I don't know how tall I'll be when I start playing. What should I focus on in the gym, after getting into decent shape?

Just lift weights right away, with some cardio in between weight days. Clean up your diet and get some whey protein powder for a couple shakes a day. You'll get the newbie gains and be flexing your new broceps in no time.

Do squats too. I swear they make me skate faster.

Also, listen to Iron Maiden.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Work on your ice skating.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just lift weights right away, with some cardio in between weight days. Clean up your diet and get some whey protein powder for a couple shakes a day. You'll get the newbie gains and be flexing your new broceps in no time.

Also, listen to Iron Maiden.

SQUATS. More specifically, Bulgarian Split squats are amazing for hockey. Take whatever dumbbell you can do 7 or so reps per leg and make sure to explode up from the heels. Did this with plus a few other leg / core exercises plus decent weight last summer and I was the fastest I've been in my life (10 years after high school).

One thing I did notice help the speed come along was taking a few weeks at a time, sometimes a month, off from hockey and really hit the gym hard for a few weeks. I think it really gave the muscles time to heal and grow, while still allowing for a skate or two to keep the hands up to speed.

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 9, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I haven't bought a new pair of skates in so long. Breaking in a new pair of skates is the worst.

Heat treating pretty much eliminates the break in period, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Looking for a couple more players to fill out my ice hockey team in NYC (City Ice Pavilion) for a quick summer season starting very soon. Under $200 per player, looking for all positions except goalie, all ages, all genders accepted. Already two goons on the team, PM me if you're interested!

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

xzzy posted:

Heat treating pretty much eliminates the break in period, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

While this is technically true, Alizee is comparing 2 bottom line skates at a price point of $150. I would be surprised if either of them were thermoformable.

Alizee may be making it more difficult by comparing how much of a discount each skate represents. The skate that fits best is the best skate for you if you only have $150 to spend.

Comparing $100 skates to $400 skates to $800 is pretty easy. In middle to lower end skates, price can be a poor indicator of value. The extremely cheap (sub-$75) off-brand skates are a bad choice at best (and possibly dangerous) $100 and $200 skates can be of good quality but not remarkably so. Skates around $300 to $500 start to have major improvements over the lower ones. Within those 'bands' there are minor differences but not enough to compensate for a poor fit.

Both Bauer and Graf make fine skates and will be a massive upgrade from the Walmart Size 13.5 things mentioned earlier. I am guessing the Bauers are X:5...X:30 and are not thermoform capable, iirc. Specific models of Bauer or Graf would be helpful to know which is the better value but as mentioned, the skate that fits best is the best skate.

Wear them and move in them. Tighten the laces until mildly uncomfortable. Shift your weight left-to-right and front-to-back. Feel if/how your foot moves within the skate. The skate should really feel like an extension of your leg with little or no movement inside. Your toes should be flat, not curled up but not really able to wiggle around very much.

...and I suggest listening to headphones while doing all of this. You know what to listen to. :rock:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

X:20 (at least) and up Bauers are bakeable.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
SAS Hockey Player Thread: Listen to Iron Maiden

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I dislike Iron Maiden, am I not allowed to play hockey anymore? :ohdear:

Or is there a list of acceptable metal alternatives?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Will listening to Iron Maiden at work also increase my ability (or enjoyment) of playing the hockey while I'm playing too?

Seriously though, super excited about starting in a men's "i'm terrible" league in the fall. I imagine it as a bunch of guys flailing around kind of thing, and I'm completely ok with this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is all fact. It's a mistake for overweight people to just do cardio and ignore weight training until they get in better shape. An intense weight training session will spike your metabolism and burn off as many calories as a good cardio workout, and will get your body into better shape (rather than just burning calories and improving your c/v system - though it will do this as well).

And cleaning up your date is going to be the single most important thing to do. Unless you're looking strictly to bulk up, working out is a near-useless proposition if your diet doesn't change. It is simply way too easy to accidentally ram 500 calories down your throat, while burning off 500 calories is a lot of work. And I'm speaking as someone who managed to go from ~220lbs to 155 in about 5 months , years ago.

quote:

Faster or not, squats are the single best weight training exercise. I don't do them nowadays because I tore one of my menisci playing hockey about 5 years ago, and while I came back to the game a year and a half or so ago, my doctor has advised against doing squats as they may detrimentally impact my knee cartilage. But if you have the physical ability to do them, DO THEM.

Oddly enough, while squats bother me, I've been doing plyometrics since last summer and have gotten to the point of being able to hop over a 36" platform from a standing start (3 sets of 10, baby), and it doesn't seem to cause my knees any discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alizee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2011