Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Mounted the factory summers on my new wheels a couple of weeks ago. Did a little detailing today. This was taken right before the pollen came back again. Next will be the APR ECU flash I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Plugs and wires on my Jimmy. I discovered it runs much better when the gap is set correctly and the number two plug is actually getting a spark.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tried taking the top off of the Bronco only to discover that I need a T40 security torx bit to take it off...

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Washed it for the second time this weekend after it served as canoe chauffeur.

Then came home and ordered a catback exhaust.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 6, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Mounted the factory summers on my new wheels a couple of weeks ago. Did a little detailing today. This was taken right before the pollen came back again. Next will be the APR ECU flash I think.

What wheels are those? Size/weight? :)

DropShadow posted:

Then came home and ordered a catback exhaust.

What exhaust? :)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DogDodger posted:

What exhaust? :)

Billy Boat 2.5". Got in on a group buy on Audizine and got 28% off retail. I can't wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

daslog posted:

Just put new Ignition points in my Caddy.

The book calls for a 30 degree Dwell.
The old points were set at 18
The new points I set at 30.

It runs much better.

Is this supposed to be a haiku?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Is this supposed to be a haiku?
My tires suck goat balls
Screaming sideways all over
My times will improve

Summer driving dust
bugs splatter on my windshield
late night pay-and-spray

Check engine light on
limp it home slow and careful
light off next time huh?

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

DogDodger posted:

What wheels are those? Size/weight? :)

They are VMR Wheels model V701. Weight ~24lbs. 19" x 8.5" ET35. Bolt pattern 5x112 with 66.6mm centerbore.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

daslog posted:

Just put new Ignition points in my Caddy.

The book calls for a 30 degree Dwell.
The old points were set at 18
The new points I set at 30.

It runs much better.

You should really, really look into getting a Pertronix Ignitor setup for your car. It'll run lightyears better and never need any adjustments.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I mail ordered a bride with a nice pussy but I think I dialled my car guy instead of my Japanese people smuggler guy :v:

Its going in my daily :smug:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

What's your daily?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

PoopinClumpin posted:

Nice wheels! The pollen has been terrible so far and my gray car has been a pain to keep clean, so I feel your pain with a black car. Do you still need to mail out the ECU for the APR tune or are they doing them on site now?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

What's your daily?

180/240sx

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MrSaturn posted:

You should really, really look into getting a Pertronix Ignitor setup for your car. It'll run lightyears better and never need any adjustments.

I've heard this, but I've also heard horror stories for some people who try to convert.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

daslog posted:

I've heard this, but I've also heard horror stories for some people who try to convert.

I had one bad one that didn't work on my vw bus but all the ones that I put on American cars have been a huge improvement.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

daslog posted:

Is plugging it in and it doesn't work a "horror story"? These things are incredibly simple.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lowclock posted:

Is plugging it in and it doesn't work a "horror story"? These things are incredibly simple.

As I recall, it was a Mallory conversion and it would misfire after 20 minutes. Something to do with ballast. I'll have to look into it some more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

daslog posted:

As I recall, it was a Mallory conversion and it would misfire after 20 minutes. Something to do with ballast. I'll have to look into it some more.

Iirc, dalabast of the swap Mustang Mach 1 fame had an issue where his MSD coil wires were leaking radio waves that was loving with his Pertronix.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

SwashedBuckles posted:

Nice wheels! The pollen has been terrible so far and my gray car has been a pain to keep clean, so I feel your pain with a black car. Do you still need to mail out the ECU for the APR tune or are they doing them on site now?

Thanks, yeah APR is doing all B8 S4 flashes in house until (i guess) a competitor is able to break the encryption on that chip. I hope this happens soon because they have the monopoly right now and the pricing reflects that.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

daslog posted:

Nightmare pertronix install? How deficient are these people? It's dead simple. The only ignition I think is easier is HEI.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

trouser chili posted:

Nightmare pertronix install? How deficient are these people? It's dead simple. The only ignition I think is easier is HEI.

And it died on the way to my father in law's place. He lives about 4 miles away. Cranked it 4 or 5 times, it almost started once. I opened up the hood, let it cool for 15 minutes, and it started right up.

Once I got to my father inlaw's place, he declared his opinion "Vapor Lock. Goddam new fuel" He's experienced Vapor lock on his 50 Ford flathead V8 with dual Webers. We checked the timing, it's about 7 degrees, pretty close. I wanted to drive back before it got dark, and it died again in my Driveway.

I then tried to put a little gas down the carb, there was some vapor as a I put it in (the carb was hot!) and it wouldn't start. I then ran into my garage, got the inline spark plug tester, hooked it up, and it fired right up. Then I pulled in the garage and turned the hockey game on.

So what do folks think? Vapor lock? It's got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, and a coil.

PS: Anyone recommend an electric fuel pump?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Air filter and 710 N diverter valve on the A4.

Took me way too long, but I will say the air filter on the 1.8t is a pain in the rear end.

Also, went fishing...

for the goddamn grommet on the airbox that fell into a random cranny in the engine compartment. Took me probably 15 minutes to get it.

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 7, 2011

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finally got the top off my Bronco! Had to order a Security T40 bit to take the bolts off, and one bolt was stuck. A little WD40 and some impact gun action and it came right off. Took a total of about 30 minutes including removing the top with the help of my weak-wristed wife.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Repainted my 300cd's bundt cake wheels with Duplicolor spray cans.

I still need to replace the fogged rear windshield and have the windows tinted, but I'm tired of putting money in this car.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Repainted my 300cd's bundt cake wheels with Duplicolor spray cans.

I still need to replace the fogged rear windshield and have the windows tinted, but I'm tired of putting money in this car.

That came out great. Did you pull the tire off the wheel or just tape it off?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
2000 Toyota Echo developed what appeared to be a bit of a valve lifter noise at slow idle. 205,000 miles or so. Added some Seafoam last week (recommended amount) to the oil. Noise gone in very few miles. I'm surprised.

Oil change tomorrow.

I do recall in the 1970's my Dad running a bit of ATF in the oil of his cars immediately prior to an oil change. That I won't try.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

I do recall in the 1970's my Dad running a bit of ATF in the oil of his cars immediately prior to an oil change. That I won't try.

If you've been doing it since the thing was new there are no worries.

If you start after a poor service history you run a very real risk of dislodging something larger than your oil passages can handle. It's no different than putting seafoam in there, honestly.

I save the seafoam for induction cleaning. You can't do that with a cup of ATF or diesel.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Motronic posted:

If you've been doing it since the thing was new there are no worries.

If you start after a poor service history you run a very real risk of dislodging something larger than your oil passages can handle. It's no different than putting seafoam in there, honestly.

I save the seafoam for induction cleaning. You can't do that with a cup of ATF or diesel.

Good point.

Been running Mobil One in the Echo since 10,000 miles. Changes every 6000 miles. Oil doesn't get that dirty. So far, so good. Still manages to get 44mpg highway and it runs quiet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Been running Mobil One in the Echo since 10,000 miles. Changes every 6000 miles. Oil doesn't get that dirty. So far, so good. Still manages to get 44mpg highway and it runs quiet.

You should have no worries then. This is all about appropriate oil change intervals.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
New radiator in my TJ. The old one had a bunch of bugs, leaves, etc. caught between it and the a/c condenser. Rotted out the metal in the bottom of the radiator and the seam started leaking.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Good point.

That's a really short interval actually. I do a blackstone lab analysis with every change, and my oil was still fine at 9,000 mile intervals with Mobil One. Even the Army has given up on interval oil changes and uses lab tests to determine when to change the oil, and it saves tax payers tens of millions of dollars a year.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
2009 Porsche 911 oil change interval? 20,000 miles recommended.

If you're running a UCE motorcycle, or haul/race, I can see 3,000 or 6,000 miles. But highway cruising in your 2007 Dodge Ram? 7,500 is okay. I do the blackstone lab analysis at every fifth or sixth oil change, for kicks (it's a hobby that's only $25 a pop, cheap for a hobby), and it always comes up clean. Only time they've ever really commented on something was with my motorcycle (2009 Royal Enfield), asking why there was so much silver in the oil for the first few oil changes. I have no clue either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr.Peabody posted:

Even the Army has given up on interval oil changes and uses lab tests to determine when to change the oil, and it saves tax payers tens of millions of dollars a year.

* because they have enough vehicles to make having their own lab economical rather than sending samples out to a 3rd party like up slobs need to

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a dashcam, of sorts. I usually have TeleNav or Waze running on my phone if I'm going more than a couple of miles, mainly for traffic and radar updates. Adding dashcam functionality was easy.

Decent video quality (considering the lovely mount I'm using anyway), horrible audio quality. Doesn't save video unless there's an "event" (phone experiences some kind of shock, or I touch the screen), at which point it writes the past few minutes of video to the SD card and uploads it to a server.

Kinda neat I guess.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm. I kinda want one of those 'pricier' front and rear wide angle dash cams with accelerometer and gps. Just not sure if I care to have it in my car at all times.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This records GPS info (including speed), it just doesn't record it on the video itself. If you play it back on the phone it shows speed and location, same if you upload it to the developer's website from the phone.

My phone also has 2 cameras (front and rear), so in theory it could do that if the software was written. But as it is, this rapes the battery hard... as in it pulls more than the car charger can put out (700mA). But hey, it's a 4G wimax phone, I'm used to having to keep a charger on me. v:v:v

Seidio has a 3300 mAh battery for my phone, I really should get it and ditch the 1500 mAh it has now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 9, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

some texas redneck posted:

Got a dashcam, of sorts. I usually have TeleNav or Waze running on my phone if I'm going more than a couple of miles, mainly for traffic and radar updates. Adding dashcam functionality was easy.

Decent video quality (considering the lovely mount I'm using anyway), horrible audio quality. Doesn't save video unless there's an "event" (phone experiences some kind of shock, or I touch the screen), at which point it writes the past few minutes of video to the SD card and uploads it to a server.

Kinda neat I guess.

Well that would save you from needing to hide the SD card in your mouth when you record some cops murdering someone and then they point their guns at you and take your phone.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mr.Peabody posted:

That's a really short interval actually. I do a blackstone lab analysis with every change, and my oil was still fine at 9,000 mile intervals with Mobil One. Even the Army has given up on interval oil changes and uses lab tests to determine when to change the oil, and it saves tax payers tens of millions of dollars a year.

The $50 for the every 6000 miles change (Mobil 1) is a small expense compared to the gasoline even at 40/44mpg. It is 'dirty' by that point, but yeah ... a lab check would be a better approach.

Anyway, had the 'dirtier' Seafoam treated oil changed this AM and you wouldn't hear the difference (after the treatment) from the engine at 205,000 miles than 25,000 miles. It's a nice little chain-driven affair (2000 Echo). Of course the mechanic went on about "recommended valve adjustment every 60,000 miles, which isn't the case at all. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sold my 72 Baja Bug to an out-of-stater.