Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Grenadier posted:

This was pretty much exactly what I was assuming as well. I really hope that they find out more and more about the Titans just by examining their anatomy and (de)composition after battles, and maybe a tidbit here or there from old records on the outside hinting on their origins/function, but never quite figure out exactly how or why they came into being. That always ends up with some lame infodump character, usually a bad guy that isn't terribly compelling.

Their bodies almost immediately deteriorate after battle/ melt away. This is a lot of why they don't understand anything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

The mention of Biomega puts me in mind of another of Tsutomu Nihei's series, Knights of Sidonia. Like Advance of the Giants, it's about a warped, claustrophobic human society attempting to fight near-invincible enemies. Sadly scanlators don't seem to give a poo poo about it. :effort:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Knights of Sidonia, really enjoying it so far!

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a different translation than from the one on mangareader that isn't as bad? I don't understand the whole Scout Legion dialogue in chapter one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Probably not. Generally all but the most popular manga only have a single scanlator working on them, because unlike anime shows there's a million of them.

But anyway I think the scout legion discussion basically boiled down to "I want to join the scout legion and be a giant-fighting badass" and then "are you stupid? They pretty much ride out and get slaughtered every single time."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 5, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The version on somemanga has a different translation, and now it's actually up to date too.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Geez, this is alright but it's one of the darkest things I've ever read. Right from the get go it's "Oh poo poo, they broke in" and then things get progressively worse and worse and never seem to get better. You do wonder what the hell is the point at some parts and end up empathising more with the average joe soldiers who just want to run away rather than super woman Mikasa who can just run around killing them without breaking a sweat.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zahki posted:

Geez, this is alright but it's one of the darkest things I've ever read. Right from the get go it's "Oh poo poo, they broke in" and then things get progressively worse and worse and never seem to get better. You do wonder what the hell is the point at some parts and end up empathising more with the average joe soldiers who just want to run away rather than super woman Mikasa who can just run around killing them without breaking a sweat.

Man you really, really don't wanna read Gantz then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I stopped reading Gantz around the part where they were starting to capture humans, idk what happened since since htey take so long.

Gantz is pretty fun tho

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zahki posted:

For me, the grimmest part so far was that scene in the surrounded HQ when one of the supply group dudes eats his gun.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Knights of Sidonia, really enjoying it so far!

You won't be thanking me once you've hit up against the last available chapters :v:

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

For me, the grimmest part so far was that scene in the surrounded HQ when one of the supply group dudes eats his gun.
I thought that part was supposed to be humorous

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I think I might just be retarded, but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on in that manga.

RocketSurgery posted:

I thought that part was supposed to be humorous

Humor? In my suicide?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ArchDemon posted:

I think I might just be retarded, but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on in that manga.

Don't worry you're not. I read it a while back and although I liked it, I could barely understand what was going on beyond the basic premise.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Cake Attack posted:

Don't worry you're not. I read it a while back and although I liked it, I could barely understand what was going on beyond the basic premise.

It's not that complicated.

Human Refugee Colony is running from nigh-invincible aliens who exploit fuzzy-physics to be near unkillable, except with special warheads (Mounted to lances, because why the gently caress not).

Humans are dicks who jockey for position even in the face of annihilation, and sabotage their best chances of survival because they were moderately offended.

Lots of weird transhuman poo poo thrown in for spice, and a lot of funny looks at the main character because he's a baseline.

Gratuitous Nudity

That's the manga in a nutshell.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So the real question is when will chapter 14 be translated? People said up to 18 were scanlated right?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I had heard about this series a few times, but always passed on it because I dislike violent types of manga. I could never get into Berserk or Claymore or Gantz or anything like that. I happened to have a lot of downtime and not many options though, so I read this, and I really enjoyed it.

I can't even put my finger on why I like it. I still think the violence is over the top. I particularly found the murder scene when Erin and Mikasa were nine years old to be really unrealisitc. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think they were both badass from a young age, or if there's actually a rational reason for their behavior and ability. It actually gets brought up in a later, yet untranslated chapter, so I hope they go more into it.

I think one of the things I find endearing about the series is how protective Mikasa is with Erin, while still not having a creepy yandere vibe. Even though she's a super human and trumps Erin's ability in combat, Erin doesn't prove useless himself. It's sort of like me to be into a pairing in a series about horrible giants attacking the last reminants of humanity.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ruta posted:

I particularly found the murder scene when Erin and Mikasa were nine years old to be really unrealisitc.

I don't think you should read manga, period.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ruta posted:

I can't even put my finger on why I like it. I still think the violence is over the top. I particularly found the murder scene when Erin and Mikasa were nine years old to be really unrealisitc. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think they were both badass from a young age, or if there's actually a rational reason for their behavior and ability. It actually gets brought up in a later, yet untranslated chapter, so I hope they go more into it.

Well we know for sure that Eren isn't normal, I kind of assumed that him being so aggressive and competent at such a young age was related to his being part titan. As for Mikasa, we don't know for sure if there's anything up with her, but people have speculated that Eren's dad was experimenting on her.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!
Seems pretty good so far.

Anyone else have a laugh at how some of the titans resemble people in real life? So far I've seen Hillary Clinton-titan, Kevin Spacey-Titan, Beavis-Titan and some more I can't remember

Oh right, Richard Nixon titan, George RR martin titan

Dusz fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 8, 2011

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
This is an interesting book, though I have difficulty believing that humans would go for such an elaborate and obviously difficult system as this whole high-speed rope combat thing when we have such a well-established track record of building better guns... it would be one thing if there were no cannons in the story, but it just stretches disbelief that they'd rely on this whole rope brigade thing when they could just learn to aim better.

The art also really kind of sucked early on, but the artist is picking up something like a style quickly. If you look at the faces on the first few pages, you start to think that everyone looks just as bizarre and psycho as the titans... but later on he goes way past that.

Still well over the 'worth reading' threshold despite all of the above

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, they also can't breed more cannonballs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Coldbird posted:

This is an interesting book, though I have difficulty believing that humans would go for such an elaborate and obviously difficult system as this whole high-speed rope combat thing when we have such a well-established track record of building better guns... it would be one thing if there were no cannons in the story, but it just stretches disbelief that they'd rely on this whole rope brigade thing when they could just learn to aim better.

The art also really kind of sucked early on, but the artist is picking up something like a style quickly. If you look at the faces on the first few pages, you start to think that everyone looks just as bizarre and psycho as the titans... but later on he goes way past that.

Still well over the 'worth reading' threshold despite all of the above

How do you "aim better" when the sensitive spot is the neck of a giant who is moving towards you?

I suppose one could conceive of a plan where we encircle the giant, attracting them with bait and then shooting them from behind. Or if they had homing missiles.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DrSunshine posted:

How do you "aim better" when the sensitive spot is the neck of a giant who is moving towards you?

I suppose one could conceive of a plan where we encircle the giant, attracting them with bait and then shooting them from behind. Or if they had homing missiles.

Well, they do have grenades.

And when the giants are inside the cities or near the walls, it would be a heck of a lot smarter to just shoot then on the weak spot from above (shooters standing on tall buildings or at the top of the walls).

The "3D fighting" is a lot cooler though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rakugoon posted:

Well, they also can't breed more cannonballs.

Population control is grand when you've got giants to try to get them to kill.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, they do have grenades.

And when the giants are inside the cities or near the walls, it would be a heck of a lot smarter to just shoot then on the weak spot from above (shooters standing on tall buildings or at the top of the walls).

The "3D fighting" is a lot cooler though.
The grenades would need to be insanely powerful to actually kill the titans. The swords they use are pretty much coiled metal that blows through flesh (if I read it correctly). Assuming they're using fragmentation grenades, that's not going to even damage the titans.

It's also not very quick to aim a cannon. They also aren't very accurate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elysiume posted:

It's also not very quick to aim a cannon. They also aren't very accurate.

Seems like they also got rifles.

And all that technology genious they spent making incredible grappling hook things could have been better used making better rifles, stronger/faster cannons, more powerful grenades, etc, way more pratical and believable weapons.

Anyway, thatīs a manga and soldiers jumping around with swords and grappling hooks are very cool, so why are we even discussing that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 8, 2011

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, and Britain would have won the Crimean War so easily if they had just built B-52s.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems like they also got rifles.

And all that technology genious they spent making incredible grappling hook things could have been better used making better rifles, stronger/faster cannons, more powerful grenades, etc, way more pratical and believable weapons.

Anyway, thatīs a manga and soldiers jumping around with swords and grappling hooks are very cool, so why are we even discussing that
You really think a rifle will do the amount of damage they need to do? :psyduck:

Just accept that that is the route that it went. Maybe before the titans appeared, there was on really prosperous nation that was never attacked because it was so much involved in trade routes. They started making grappling harnesses in order to make iconic towers that dotted the pre-titan landscape. With the salvaged knowledge of those harnesses, the survivors were able to make the fighting gear. There, now there's a backstory.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

DrSunshine posted:

The cannons are shown to blow the giants' heads clear off. Presumably they could just aim just a little lower and punch through to the weakspot from the front.

I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, wire fighting with swords looks pretty cool. But the idea does stay in the back of my head.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Superstring posted:

The cannons are shown to blow the giants' heads clear off. Presumably they could just aim just a little lower and punch through to the weakspot from the front.

I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, wire fighting with swords looks pretty cool. But the idea does stay in the back of my head.

Aiming for the neck with even a modern cannon would be almost impossible under the circumstances.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
After some (very nerdy) math, the 15m (approx 49') titans would have a weak spot about 60-80 cm tall. That isn't really the hard part about shooting them with the cannons though. The hard part is, assuming they have the same mobility as humans (they seem to, given the one sprinting for the baggage cart), that your 60cm target is moving around or running toward you at approx 150kph, or 90mph (a 15m human would have a running stride length around 20m, and assuming a strike rate of 60, or 120 steps per minute). That would be the problem with shooting them.

Then again, that makes the 3d combat seem more ridiculous. But gently caress it, fighting giants like a sword-swinging, hopeless batman is way cooler than cannonading them from the top of a wall.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'll overlook them choosing risky melee over safer ranged attacks because

PaleIrishGuy posted:

gently caress it, fighting giants like a sword-swinging, hopeless batman is way cooler than cannonading them from the top of a wall.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hmm. I still think that expecting cannons to win the day is a little silly. But here's something I thought of - Why not just use very large swinging blades, lowered on ropes? With a cannon it's hit-or-miss, but say you could lower a very large blade, parallel to the ground, and sharpened on both sides, suspended on either end with a rope. Then, when the giant approaches, have the blade swing inwards towards you. The blade will slice cleanly through the back of the neck.

Of course, this still poses the same problem as cannons: they're static defenses. I believe that the harnesses were developed to be devices they could use while actually in the field, outside the wall.

Though that poses the question: why not use the jumping harnesses as just a mobility device, and use them to set up a trap wherein the giant would stumble into a neck-level string of blades, like a giant garrote wire, rather than jumping down and engaging them with swords?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
This is now a sperging thread.

Maybe aiming cannons that well is difficult prior to the invention of rifling. I know you can get hilarious accuracy out of howitzer-style artillery, which is actually pretty old - but the story isn't very clear how advanced humans were prior to the giants. Some of the old pictures shown of them shooting giants from castle walls seem to imply medieval times, but the organization of their military, the uniforms, and the design of their rifles - which looked like they were breech-loading, not muskets - all seem to be 19th-century.

Simpler solution - Why don't the rope fighters all carry suicide bombs? For that matter, why doesn't everyone in the story? They obviously have explosives figured out. Or they could just have a self-destruct option on those high-pressure gas canisters. It would be a good way to take one giant with you if they do happen to catch you - if it went off just as they entered the throat it would be a good chance to get that one part on the back of the neck. If the user is a coward, then set it up to have a deadman switch.

It just bothers me that the writer obviously sperged out so hard on a few specific things and got handwavey on others - though it's hardly the first time that happened in any medium.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Apropos to the guy who questioned the logic of having wide avenues and ornate windows in a context where humanity is being stalked by giants, I have another point to bring up: why live in lowland cities at all? It seems like a huge target, a big city surrounded by farmland in an area of rolling, verdant hills. In our history, Himalayan, Andean, and other mountain-dwelling peoples developed advanced mountainside agriculture, making it clear that it is entirely possible to dwell atop some of the highest mountains in the world. The natural defensive attributes afforded by life atop mountains seems like they'd be a natural choice for a world besieged by giants, since it would make it difficult for them to clamber up -- it'd be like natural walls! Plus, cliffside dwellings and caves have been used by humanity since time immemorial to hide from invasions and attacks, it seems unusual that they'd choose to live in low ground, rather than taking advantage of naturally defensive terrain.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elysiume posted:

You really think a rifle will do the amount of damage they need to do? :psyduck:

What do you honestly think is more realistic: developing stronger rifles capable of punching trough the giants flesh, or developing incredible grappling hook things fueled by gas and hyper-strong blades and then fight the giants in a spider-man fashion?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

Apropos to the guy who questioned the logic of having wide avenues and ornate windows in a context where humanity is being stalked by giants, I have another point to bring up: why live in lowland cities at all? It seems like a huge target, a big city surrounded by farmland in an area of rolling, verdant hills. In our history, Himalayan, Andean, and other mountain-dwelling peoples developed advanced mountainside agriculture, making it clear that it is entirely possible to dwell atop some of the highest mountains in the world. The natural defensive attributes afforded by life atop mountains seems like they'd be a natural choice for a world besieged by giants, since it would make it difficult for them to clamber up -- it'd be like natural walls! Plus, cliffside dwellings and caves have been used by humanity since time immemorial to hide from invasions and attacks, it seems unusual that they'd choose to live in low ground, rather than taking advantage of naturally defensive terrain.

Someone earlier questioned why they don't live in, or on the walls and it reminded me of David Edding's the Belgarion books. One of the fortresses in those books is a huge trap, with a maze inside - any enemies that managed to get in the door were immediately lost in the maze while enemies in the walls of the fortress slaughtered them casually from above. Seems like a good idea here too frankly. You could even keep the crazy grapple fighters for giants that got in too far, started climbing the walls in a dangerous manner etc.

It wouldn't keep that hopeless feel though, and that seems like a big part of the story so who cares.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Well, I just sat down and read all of the currently translated chapters and i'm hooked!

I don't really mind if the art in any manga is bad, especially at the beginning of a series because it's fun to see how the art develops into it's own unique style as the series goes on.

The only time i've found the artwork to be too distracting to keep on reading was...Battle Royale 2: Blitz Royale.

I have a couple of guesses for this series:

That general/Commander Pixis guy? Yeah he's evil.
Maybe Eren can become a colossal titan eventually too but it'll be a horrible strain on his psyche/body because he did look terrible after conjuring that skeletal frame just to block the cannonball.
The colassal titan that broke the two walls only appeared for a short period of time because of the immense focus and strain it took to become that large? That could explain while he still appears incomplete and evaporating.
Every titan does have a base human most likely stuck in a dream like euphoric state and was completely absorbed into the conscience of the titan. It might be why most are happy going and all creepy smiles until their neck is cut.

I can't wait to see where this story is going.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hey new posts! Oh wait the next chapter isn't scanlated yet.

This thread is turning into the Berserk thread :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elias_Maluco posted:

What do you honestly think is more realistic: developing stronger rifles capable of punching trough the giants flesh, or developing incredible grappling hook things fueled by gas and hyper-strong blades and then fight the giants in a spider-man fashion?
Have you seen how much flesh they need to remove? They would need to develop very powerful grenade launchers instead of just rifles.

I guess making the better grenade launchers would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Obviously what they need to do is make tracks on the walls and make a giant crane game inside the walls. Only instead of a hook, it's a giant whirling blade of titan death. The blade can change height for different sized titans. this would also explain the large rodes, needing to be big enough for the blade to fit.

They can even keep the batman gear because you gotta sharp the blade somehow.